Acura TL Navi update

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
I'm all for paying for the update, but $149 is ridiculous. What's to stop one guy from buying an update disc and then just letting everyone borrow it? Is it car-specific?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by UltimateLurker
What's to stop one guy from buying an update disc and then just letting everyone borrow it? Is it car-specific?
1) The DVD is not car-specific, but it has to be loaded in the DVD drive for the Navigation to work.
2) IDK if anyone has ever successfully duplicated an Orange disc.
The White disc ('07+) can be duplicated, but it takes some effort and specialized equipment.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I just got a mailer from Acura. I could pay $300 and get 3 years of discs with free shipping.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2005 TL with a factory Navi disc (not sure which version). Reading through this thread, some people have said the newer discs have updated maps, and work better. But the graphics and buttons and all are the same.

Also, is the firmware for the Navi updated? Does it really perform better? Just wondering if it is worth it to buy a new disc.

Yes, I understand its an 8 year old car, but I love that car and will probably drive it until it dies on me (only have 60K miles on it).

Also, is the dealer the best place to get this (legitimately)? Or are there known sites where this is cheaper? I heard that you need to enter a code which is tied to your VIN to use a new disc?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Masta120
I have a 2005 TL with a factory Navi disc (not sure which version). Reading through this thread, some people have said the newer discs have updated maps, and work better. But the graphics and buttons and all are the same.
Yes, Graphics and buttons are the same. The navi reads the map information off the DVD.

Also, is the firmware for the Navi updated? Does it really perform better? Just wondering if it is worth it to buy a new disc.
It performs at or about the same as the disc I had previous. I went from a 2011 disc to the new 2014 disc.

Yes, I understand its an 8 year old car, but I love that car and will probably drive it until it dies on me (only have 60K miles on it).
Here's what drove me to sign up for the updates.
1) St. Louis has been in a constant state of highway and side street construction since 2008 so new roads, over-passes, exit and entrance ramps are being thrown up every year.

2) I plan on taking several road trips. I used to be prudent and print off Google maps directions to my destination but I found that I was being a bit unsafe always looking down at the paper for the next exit. So keeping the Nav current makes sense for me especially if I'll be driving to the East Coast and South like I plan on next year.

3) The number of restaurants on the Nav. I couldn't look at my google maps and say for certain there was a place to eat or get gas where I wanted to when I wanted to pull off the road.

Also, is the dealer the best place to get this (legitimately)?
Dealer does not keep the discs in stock. You can have them order it for you and pick it up or have it shipped to you by going to http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT.../Default-Start

Or are there known sites where this is cheaper?
You may find a vendor or someone sitting on some retail discs on eBay but that won't be until months after the initial release. About half way through the year the discs will get discounted on the site above as well I believe.

I heard that you need to enter a code which is tied to your VIN to use a new disc?
I don't recall entering a code, I popped in the disc, let it update and then drove around.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Masta120
.... I heard that you need to enter a code which is tied to your VIN to use a new disc?
I've had my TL since August 2004 and have updated the disc twice. I did not have to enter any code either time.

What you do need to do is to make sure you order the correct disc. The 2005 TL uses the disc with the orange label. Newer 3G TLs use a disc with a white label. The white-label version won't work in your car.