Acura TL Navi update

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL Navi update

Hello,

I recently bought a 2006 Acura TL with Navi. The navi works pretty good, but I was thinking of updating it and noticed that the latest DVD would cost me $150. One of friends found a torrent for the latest version of the Navi (Orange DVD V3.B0), but the people have posted mixed reviews about it. Has anyone ever tried something like this? downloading the update DVD torrent, burning a DVD and using that to update the Navi? IF the DVD does not work, will it lock up the system such that even the older DVD, which was working fine would not work anymore?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
i would like to know too since i just picked up my 05 3 days ago...nothing to complaint, it's just i think it's better to have a newer one...no way i am paying $150 for that~~~
Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, last year they reduced the nav update dvds to $99 in december - got one then for my wife's odyssey. Maybe they'll do that again? Still high, but better.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 PM
5th Gear

yea
Old 10-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Guys, usually the discs cost $185. Burned CD's do not work well-it's very risky.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
you could just stick with the older one as they are easier to hack
Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 AM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
deff just stick with the older ones. tried a burnt copy on mine and it went all kinds of crazy. but luckly i was still under warranty so they fixed it. yeah usually my dealership has this like 2 week sale where they drop it down to $99. but not sure if they do it anymore. it sucks for 185 i get two more roads lol. not really worth it in my opinion. you can also be like one of my buddies what he does is he goes in late for main and they usually have to keep his car over gets a rental(usually same model) always has the updated disk and he switches it out.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:23 AM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i got a burn cd of the newest version works perfect . and it something happens to the version u can go back to your old software easy so a win win
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Guys, usually the discs cost $185. Burned CD's do not work well-it's very risky.
Not to mention it's copyrighted material and you're stealing if you download it off the Internet. (Yes, I've done copyright and trademark litigation at various times over the years. I simply do not understand why today's younger kids think copyright laws do not apply to them.)
Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
so thats a no on the torrent?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
hmmmmmm...oh wait... nvm.

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i received a letter from Acura stating that the DVD are 149.99 free shipping so i ordered the latest one for my 06 TL, it should come in 2 weeks and man my old DVD is crap time to time lol
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
It's so close to Xmas just ask Santa for one. lol
Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
It's so close to Xmas just ask Santa for one. lol
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Pte. Jerry L.
so thats a no on the torrent?
The torrents work but you must write to cd on the slowest speed possible and you'll be fine.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys can someone please pm me a link to the navi torrent. I have a 2005 Acura TL, I have the original DVD. Also, if i update it by using a burned dvd or buying one from dealer. Is it going to just add update maps or update the whole firmware, because the current one looks like too outdated and cant compete with my 150$ Garmin. I want something that looks new and technically advanced in terms of graphics and interface. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dr_hype
Hey guys can someone please pm me a link to the navi torrent. I have a 2005 Acura TL, I have the original DVD. Also, if i update it by using a burned dvd or buying one from dealer. Is it going to just add update maps or update the whole firmware, because the current one looks like too outdated and cant compete with my 150$ Garmin. I want something that looks new and technically advanced in terms of graphics and interface. Thanks in advance.
The 04-06 does have a firmware update I think. The 07-08 navi looks so updated compared to yours but the firmware update doesn't update it to the 3.5gen has. You may need to buy a news disc so you recieve the firmware update. I can't be sure.
The following users liked this post:
dr_hype (11-10-2011)
Old 11-10-2011, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
The 04-06 does have a firmware update I think. The 07-08 navi looks so updated compared to yours but the firmware update doesn't update it to the 3.5gen has. You may need to buy a news disc so you recieve the firmware update. I can't be sure.
Thanks. Can someone with 04-06 let me know if there are firmware updates with any of the DVDs. I don't think spending money on a navi system i barely use is worth it just for the maps. But i wouldn't mind paying for a firmware update.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Thanks. Can someone with 04-06 let me know if there are firmware updates with any of the DVDs. I don't think spending money on a navi system i barely use is worth it just for the maps. But i wouldn't mind paying for a firmware update.
IIRC, there are updates with each "letter" update, i.e. 3.80a, etc., and I think each update incorporates all the prior updates. My late '05 shipped with the 3.40c disc, so there are quite a few new updates since then as the current disc is 3.B0. The searches and routing seem to run faster after I updated last year or so.

Rather than trying the torrents sites, you might want to check the Black Market subforum here or search e-bay for an Orange 3.90 or 3.A0 disc to avoid the frustration and time involved in trying to burn a working DVD.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Will Y.
IIRC, there are updates with each "letter" update, i.e. 3.80a, etc., and I think each update incorporates all the prior updates. My late '05 shipped with the 3.40c disc, so there are quite a few new updates since then as the current disc is 3.B0. The searches and routing seem to run faster after I updated last year or so.

Rather than trying the torrents sites, you might want to check the Black Market subforum here or search e-bay for an Orange 3.90 or 3.A0 disc to avoid the frustration and time involved in trying to burn a working DVD.
Yeah I don't mind paying, but I want to know if the firmware gets better, can you tell me if graphics got better after you upgraded?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Not to mention it's copyrighted material and you're stealing if you download it off the Internet. (Yes, I've done copyright and trademark litigation at various times over the years. I simply do not understand why today's younger kids think copyright laws do not apply to them.)
Probably because they don't have the money that you have. $150 to a 38-year old lawyer is very different than $150 to a recent college graduate. I'm not judging either side - just explaining why it happens. I know jaywalking laws apply to me, but I'm not all that concerned about following them...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered but harmless

...can you tell me if graphics got better after you upgraded?
No, the updates do NOT change the graphics or display; the updates only improve the Navi operation.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do have a Orange disk 3.90 from my old TL 06 navi if anyone needs this i will let this go for the price of $100 shipped it comes with the original case an everything it was only use for 3 months pretty much brand new i always take a good care of my stuff this is my number 2016586969 if someone wants it just text me thx....
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM
10th Gear

I have a 2006 TL Navi and my wife got me the updated DVD for it.... it works well for updated roads, but the gas stations and restaurants are WAY off. I do live in a pretty rural area, but personally, I would stick with the old version and let the dotted lines do their thing.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by triax37
Probably because they don't have the money that you have. $150 to a 38-year old lawyer is very different than $150 to a recent college graduate. I'm not judging either side - just explaining why it happens. I know jaywalking laws apply to me, but I'm not all that concerned about following them...
Not having the money doesn't justify piracy. At all.

As a 25-year old who grew up with the dawn of WinMX, Napster, Kazaa, usenet, and torrents, I have a lot of experience with piracy. In the beginning, piracy was mostly about accessibility and flexibility. Download a specific song or movie in a relatively short period without ever leaving your house. Also, it's free. Now that media distribution has caught up (somewhat) and is available in a variety of mediums, the only real justification for piracy these days is to trial something (a CD, TV show, some software, etc.). For some items, like TV shows, you still don't have ubiquitous high-res availability except through DRM-protected distribution sources (like itunes), but in the next 5 years everything should catch up.

In summary, there's no excuse for stealing. Sure, musicians have crappy recording contracts and don't make much from downloaded content or CDs, but if you're downloading without paying that artist back in SOME way (concert, merchandise, etc.) then you're just a thief. That said, I still pirate all the time to trial stuff out, and pay for content I like / use. DVD navigation disks seem like a grey area due to their uselessness (vs. google maps, etc.) and extremely low revenue generation (compared to the rest of the car), but it's really pretty black and white. Don't take what you can't afford.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:27 PM

I agree with "exlex." I used to be a broke student too, but I never thought that being tight on money made it OK for me to steal, and I don't just mean in the digital domain either. I mean, most people don't think it's OK to go to the store and steal a pair of jeans just because you want a pair of jeans and can't afford them. I don't see how the Navi software, or digital music, or whatever, is any different, other than it being "easier" to get away with it.
justnspace (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
i think for those who prefer saving money by downloading stuff on internet....just keep it to yourself. everyone knows so no need to share
Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
4th Gear

FIRST of all this is an "Acura enthusiast website"...Not some where i want to go to learn morals and ethics goddamnit. I am agaisnt theft in all ways becasue my mother taught me to be an upstanding fellow when i was young. but on the flip side of that i didnt subscribe to this to see some old man telling people what they should and shouldnt be doing with there lifes.1995hoo and exlexcan GTF outta here with all that. christianmingle.com is still taking new applications for moral folks to chat about moral shit. lets keep it about Acuras on this site please
Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.KansasCity816
FIRST of all this is an "Acura enthusiast website"...Not some where i want to go to learn morals and ethics goddamnit. I am agaisnt theft in all ways becasue my mother taught me to be an upstanding fellow when i was young. but on the flip side of that i didnt subscribe to this to see some old man telling people what they should and shouldnt be doing with there lifes.1995hoo and exlexcan GTF outta here with all that. christianmingle.com is still taking new applications for moral folks to chat about moral shit. lets keep it about Acuras on this site please
Says the guy with 4 posts to his name.....
MSGross (07-28-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Stealing is Stealing...

Originally Posted by blueracer17
Says the guy with 4 posts to his name.....
I concur. This forum is not only informative but great entertainment. It doesn't always have to be just about TLs---get a life if we have to be pigeon-holed to 100% TLs.

Regarding stealing. I agree with the 39 year old lawyer. I am the same age and not a lawyer but an IT professional. I too was a starving college kid at once. Stealing is stealing. Unless you are dieing and need a piece of bread, then don't whine about not being able to afford a DVD for a $30K+ car in 2006 dollars.

Buy a normal car for your lifestyle and not a TL. Maybe you should be in a used Acura Integra Type-S or something if Acura's are your flavor. But don't whine because you have an expensive car that has expensive maintenance needs. Oh BTW, I am still running the original disc that is dated June 2005 in my 2006 Acura. I would like to upgrade legitimately without stealing but at a good price. I will buy someone's 2012 version if you upgraded to 2013 and are sick of the disc laying around. Make me a good offer not some crap like $100.

One more thing. It is amazing how much the generations change in their thinking in such a short period of time. 39 is not old (you 20-somethings will be there sooner than you think). But this thinking of stealing media and that the world owes you something. Grow Up and Grow A Couple, too... I know this doesn't apply to everyone so I am not stereo typing. I just see it too often everywhere. Restaurants, car sales people, work places, etc

"Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!!"
MSGross (07-28-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Mr.KansasCity816
I am agaisnt theft in all ways becasue my mother taught me to be an upstanding fellow when i was young. but on the flip side of that i didnt subscribe to this to see some old man telling people what they should and shouldnt be doing with there lifes.
In simplified terms, downloading or copying the Navi DVD content is theft if it is not your own Navi DVD-- it is an infringement of copyright and trademark rights.
That is specifically prohibited under AZ's terms of service at: http://www.internetbrands.com/ib/ter...=AcuraZine.com

AZ is a great resource. For example, if you skim the Navi DVD threads, you will also find that the Orange Navi disc ('04-'06) has not been successfully copied, and that the White disc ('07+) can be copied successfully only using certain types of burners not usually found on one's computer.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 AM
2nd Gear

Little bit of work

Hey, does anyone know what the OS is for the nav system in the 2000 TL? Thinking about writing my own nav program, but can't figure out what to write it for...
Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cee Justice A
Hey, does anyone know what the OS is for the nav system in the 2000 TL? Thinking about writing my own nav program, but can't figure out what to write it for...
If memory serves me correctly it's Windows CE based.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Pretty sure Nav system is MS Win-based...

Originally Posted by Cee Justice A
I remember reading somewhere that someone had written a C# program to skip/speedup the Nag Screen. Don't know which exact Windows OS, but it could be WinCE as was suggested. Who knows, it could even be some Win-proprietary off-shoot made for Acura or for OEM-auto electronics.

Either way, CLI is CLI and probably will work. I work in software development, if you could gather, interested in what you are trying to accomplish with a custom NAV program? Something to sell or more for fun/hobby?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear

Hi guys, I have 2007 TL and I'm thinking about updating my Navigation. Can someone here confirm me after upgrading it's capable of saying street name? Like "turn left on Calvert street" instead of "turn left". Thanks a lot for your input.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bpalmeryat
I have a 2006 TL Navi and my wife got me the updated DVD for it.... it works well for updated roads, but the gas stations and restaurants are WAY off. I do live in a pretty rural area, but personally, I would stick with the old version and let the dotted lines do their thing.
I have always wondered what the dotted lines that go to weird places. What are they?!
Old 07-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by tyvphan
Hi guys, I have 2007 TL and I'm thinking about updating my Navigation. Can someone here confirm me after upgrading it's capable of saying street name? Like "turn left on Calvert street" instead of "turn left". Thanks a lot for your input.
Nope, a new update would just update new roads and points of interests i believe..

Originally Posted by tehloxely
I have always wondered what the dotted lines that go to weird places. What are they?!
I think the dotted lines are bread crumbs if you travel off the road so you can backtrack incase you get lost? Never used it but only heard of something like this..
Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 AM
2nd Gear

[QUOTE=Will1688;14598642]Nope, a new update would just update new roads and points of interests i believe..

Thanks Will1688
Old 08-02-2013, 08:57 AM

The white dots are indeed called "breadcrumbs" (named for the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel, I believe) and they're supposed to help you find your way back. They're not foolproof. If another road passes near your route, the Navi may assume you're on that road and stop laying down breadcrumbs for a time. Mine just laid down a ton of them this past Monday on Corridor H (US-48) in West Virginia and it left some weird gaps where "unverifiable roads" pass close to the much newer Corridor H route.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been wondering for a couple years if it's worth it to upgrade the system. Does anyone know when they'll stop creating update DVD's? and when the last one was made?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 AM
7th Gear

update its worth it

Quick Reply: Acura TL Navi update