2007 tl type s speaker help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 tl type s speaker help

what are the factory size speakers in the 2007 tl type s. im being told 6x9s in back but i swear they were 6.5 in back. i know the fronts are 6.5.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
6.5" in the rear shelf same as for the doors. In fact, the stock drivers are the same in the doors as the rear shelf.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Thanx again man....uve been a big help....ps I tried to pm u and add u as friend but I still can't figure this sight out. I think cuz im new its not allowing me
Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

While I've got u have u done any amp and sub upgrades. Im going to install jlaudio hd900.5 amp with all 4 speakers replaced and a jl audio w6. I hear im going to run into humming noise cuz of rear mix.noise cancellation. What was ur experience. Various conflicting threads say I have to unplug rear mic in rear dome light some say have to unplug front mic some say gotta pull front speaker and unplug module. Since I wont be using any factory wiring do u think I will have this problem?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by reppin5bmore
While I've got u have u done any amp and sub upgrades. Im going to install jlaudio hd900.5 amp with all 4 speakers replaced and a jl audio w6. I hear im going to run into humming noise cuz of rear mix.noise cancellation. What was ur experience. Various conflicting threads say I have to unplug rear mic in rear dome light some say have to unplug front mic some say gotta pull front speaker and unplug module. Since I wont be using any factory wiring do u think I will have this problem?
If you are amping all your speakers then disconnect both mics, you can get a way with the rear mic only if your adding only a sub and not changing any of the factory speakers.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts

Personally, and you'll get this opinion 99% of the time, I would add the money used for the rears into your front components. Rear fill is just that..fill. Some even turn the rears completely off or fade it way to the front.

Yes you will have to unplug the cancellation mic. It's simple from what I hear though. Plenty of write-up's on here..

Have you already purchased the speakers? If not, what's your budget and we can get you set up. Also, will you be installing??

Edit: Don't forget sound deadening b/c install is 95% of the job
Old 07-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

Yes I am changing everything except the center channel. I have not purchased anything yet.but.I was planning on getting kicker 6.5 components for the front, kicker 6.5 2 way coaxial for rear deck, il audio hd900.5 amp and 1 jl audio 12 w6 for rear. Opinions on this set up and recommendations are appreciated. I am not going for a competition setup just something better then factory. Budget is around 2000 give or take a few hundred for equipment only. No im not installing the audio connection by my house will be. Also need opinions on sound deadening. I was going to just dynamat trunk as I don't see it super necessary to dynamat doors (atleast not until I see what it sounds like). Any other suggestions on additional components will be appreciated too. Thanx for all ur help guys
Old 07-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Also having trouble finding how to disconnect front mid for anc. Maybe im not searching right words. If I disconnect both front and back mics will I need to disconnect module behind center speaker?
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yes I am changing everything except the center channel. I have not purchased anything yet.but.I was planning on getting kicker 6.5 components for the front, kicker 6.5 2 way coaxial for rear deck, il audio hd900.5 amp and 1 jl audio 12 w6 for rear. Opinions on this set up and recommendations are appreciated. I am not going for a competition setup just something better then factory. Budget is around 2000 give or take a few hundred for equipment only. No im not installing the audio connection by my house will be. Also need opinions on sound deadening. I was going to just dynamat trunk as I don't see it super necessary to dynamat doors (atleast not until I see what it sounds like). Any other suggestions on additional components will be appreciated too. Thanx for all ur help guys

1. IT IS necessary to deaden (and seal if you can) the doors
2. With that budget..you can do much better than Kicker speakers (subjective of course...but most will agree lol)
- My Massive RK6's are up FS if you wanted to try those

Can you post up what kind of music you listen to, what speakers you've heard and like/dislike...etc, etc
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

@trunkmonkey....I only listen to rap. I've used infinity and didn't like them...I've used jbl...again not a fan. I had kickers in my old integra and liked them...I was thinking of either polk,kicker, or alpine type r. I would try urs but I want new ones for warranty purposes. Any other suggestions in the price range. I really don't want to spend more then 400 on door speakers. 2-300 for components and 1-200 for rears. Also do u kno about the anc mic problem in 07 tl-s. Will I have to disconnect module behind center and both mics front and back or just front and back mics or what? Thanx again for ur help bro
Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

@trunkmonkey....I only listen to rap. I've used infinity and didn't like them...I've used jbl...again not a fan. I had kickers in my old integra and liked them...I was thinking of either polk,kicker, or alpine type r. I would try urs but I want new ones for warranty purposes. Any other suggestions in the price range. I really don't want to spend more then 400 on door speakers. 2-300 for components and 1-200 for rears. Also do u kno about the anc mic problem in 07 tl-s. Will I have to disconnect module behind center and both mics front and back or just front and back mics or what? Thanx again for ur help bro
Kicker, Infinity, JBL, lower end Alpine, etc all sound the same to me. Bright/Harsh with no mid-bass and no depth. Mine aren't but like 3 months old or so they're still under warranty if it's transferable. I can assure you they're better than any of those..and cheap. You've got money to buy much nicer sets and they play 99% of the music...

So your plan is:
$400 on door speakers & $200-300 on components? Does this mean $600-700 b/c that's the same thing..??

The JL w6 is a nice sub no doubt, but if you're listening to just rap and only going with 1 sub..I'd look at something else. A high powered single 12 or 15 setup.

I would do: $500 Fronts, $200 Deadener/Seal, $4-500 Subs/Box, 4-Channel Amp, Install. Completely up to you though. Install is hard to factor in b/c no telling what it could be. I honestly think you should consider just keeping the stock rears as you wont even hear them...

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-26-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
1. IT IS necessary to deaden (and seal if you can) the doors
2. With that budget..you can do much better than Kicker speakers (subjective of course...but most will agree lol)
- My Massive RK6's are up FS if you wanted to try those

Can you post up what kind of music you listen to, what speakers you've heard and like/dislike...etc, etc
^ I have those RK6's they are very good speakers for budget ! Much better than the kickers n infinity's ,etc you've listed .

I also agree on coaxial's . If you read everywhere most usually remove the rears or connect them from stock unit . They are fillers . Invest most up front (components)

Last edited by TranceAddict; 07-26-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

No sir my mistake. I meant 4-500 total for both sets. Spoke with the guy at audio connection and I am leaning more towards focal or boston acoustics. What 12 or 15 do u recommend. I really don't wanna go 15 I wanna do no bigger then 12. I am also thinking of a Tru line inverter or audiocontrol. What do u think.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

No sir my mistake. I meant 4-500 total for both sets. Spoke with the guy at audio connection and I am leaning more towards focal or boston acoustics. What 12 or 15 do u recommend. I really don't wanna go 15 I wanna do no bigger then 12. I am also thinking of a Tru line inverter or audiocontrol. What do u think.
Focal makes great sets and can really come alive with proper processing I hear. I'm not sure I would buy speakers directly from the place you're getting them installed at as they'll likely be double the price but again..up to you.

Components:
Hertz (HSK or MLK)
Hybrid Audio (Clarus)

-- unsure of models to look for --
Rainbow
Focal
Dynaudio
Morel

Subs:
With a single sub setup, you can get away with a single 15 no problem. Not sure what might be steering you away from that but maybe we can help ya make up your mind. If you're doing a ported box, the 15 might be too big in the trunk for you though. I'm sure others can add to the list...

SSA (Icon or Xcon)
Sundown (SA-12)
FI (Q or BTL)
JL (w6 or w7)
Image Dynamics (IDq or IDmax)
etc, etc.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Just cuz I wanna keep trunk space and like before I don't want super loud subs as I am older. I want some good clean bass and wanna still be able to hear the song (if that makes sense. for instance in high school I had to l8 solo baric 12s in my integra and the bass was so overwhelming I couldn't hear the vocals on song that well. I wanna go a step or 2 up from stock. I think I would be ok with a memphis audio or w3 but was leaning towards w6 in case I do decide I wanna turn it up to obnoxious levels the power would then be there. And ur right I would overlay for speakers but....I will get warranty thru them. And they are good guys they would prob price match to crutchfield or work with me a little since they are doing the whole install dynamat and custom building a sealed box. What do u think is a good choice from a step or 2 up from stock. Memphis? W3? Or others u mentioned
Old 07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

I would go with something a little nicer with higher power levels than the w3. It's better to have too much power than not enough.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

W6 it is then. EVERYONE.....thank u for all ur help
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

does anyone recommend a box for this. i found 300 dollar custom ones on ebay but i think i should put around 1.7 cubic feet to this sub in a sealed box vs. this custom one that does 1.125 i also hear the factory jl boxes suck. any tips help. DO NOT WANT TO GO IB
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

does anyone recommend a box for this. i found 300 dollar custom ones on ebay but i think i should put around 1.7 cubic feet to this sub in a sealed box vs. this custom one that does 1.125 i also hear the factory jl boxes suck. any tips help. DO NOT WANT TO GO IB
"Custom" on Ebay, if it's ported, means it's likely tuned 40+ and will sound horrible.Not to mention the seams probably aren't sealed correctly, etc. If you want to go ported, there are places that make nice boxes online, but you'll likely have to have a local audio shop build you one to the size you want and the tuning freq. you want. Since you're going with one sub and listen to mainly rap, I'd go ported in this instance. Call local audio shops and ask them how much they charge to build a box 1.5-1.76cu.ft tuned to about 30hz. You'll have great SQ, hit those low notes, and will get plenty loud for you.

If you just wanted sealed..plenty of boxes here. Find one that's 1.5ish and it'll sound great.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...rder=price_asc
Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

you the man trunk monkey. thanx for the input again. its nice to talk to someone other then a salesmen whos "opinion" always seem to be the most expensive when its unnecassary. and yes the shop doing the install will build a box to factory jl specs. and lucky for me they have done a few tl type s installs in the maryland area so they are familiar with the ANC problem and they even recomended a line inverter? something like the 360 but they said a budget friendly good one was made by TRU or TRUE? what do u think on these types of products. i was even thinking maybe audiocontrol matrix. Also i found a guy on ebay whos called fatbox that looks like he makes really nice boxes. ill put a link at end of my long rambling paragraph. and i am going to take your advice on ported. i was leaning that way just needed someone to "put icing on the cake" in my decision. if i can get the guys at the shop to build me a box with 1.5 cubic ft and tuned at 30hz the way this fatbox guy does it ill be a happy camper. heres the link check this box and tell me what u think. this is for a dual box but i emailed him to see if he will build a single for w6. they have a single for w7 but cubic feet and hz arent same for w6

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-DUAL-W6-SUBWO...item3caa1a0990
Old 07-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Hey I have an 2 (12) JL AUDIO w3's for cheap if you want them . Hit me up if you're interested . I see you probably go for the w6's I dont blame ya . But If you want I'll sell them to you for $140 I have it listed for $200 on craigslist . I live around bmore area so you can test them out . I also have the Massive RK6 components what trunkmonkey suggested but am not selling those but you can hear them . They are clean n loud for the budget . Clean your pm box so I can pm ya if you're interested !
Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Originally Posted by TranceAddict
Hey I have an 2 (12) JL AUDIO w3's for cheap if you want them . Hit me up if you're interested . I see you probably go for the w6's I dont blame ya . But If you want I'll sell them to you for $140 I have it listed for $200 on craigslist . I live around bmore area so you can test them out . I also have the Massive RK6 components what trunkmonkey suggested but am not selling those but you can hear them . They are clean n loud for the budget . Clean your pm box so I can pm ya if you're interested !
Jump on this OP. At least you'll be able to tell if the w3's will be enough...plus you can audition the RK6's. Always take a free audition lol
Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

@traneaddict. i have no pms im a new member so i think its restricting my activity?idk i still can't figure this site out. i actually went to the audio connection in towson today and heard the w3's and yes they will be enough. where in bmore u from? im in parkville if thats close. im actually gonna go with focal 65vrs in front and focal coaxials in back. ill look on craigslist for them and give u a shout cuz i dont know whats up with the pm. always nice to find an acura owner in the area to share information with or even just to tear up i95 lol

@trunkmonkey....what do u think of the focals i listed? im a huge focal fan so the extra doe it costs for them wont bother me. plus its all covered with 2 year warranty
Old 07-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Instructor

@traneaddict. i have no pms im a new member so i think its restricting my activity?idk i still can't figure this site out. i actually went to the audio connection in towson today and heard the w3's and yes they will be enough. where in bmore u from? im in parkville if thats close. im actually gonna go with focal 65vrs in front and focal coaxials in back. ill look on craigslist for them and give u a shout cuz i dont know whats up with the pm. always nice to find an acura owner in the area to share information with or even just to tear up i95 lol

@trunkmonkey....what do u think of the focals i listed? im a huge focal fan so the extra doe it costs for them wont bother me. plus its all covered with 2 year warranty
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/2514167544.html

parkville is like 5-10min ...give me a shout bro ! Like I said its listed at $200 but I'll let it go for $140 to board members locally .