2005 non-navi *carputer* install

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
with no prior experience, don't do it yourself. If you have to ask, you need to pay someone that knows what they're doing.
I think if you know your way around a motherboard and know the difference between ATA, SATA, AGP, PCI-EXPRESS then it's a project you can handle. I have built and troubleshooted many computers. I am learning as much as I can about car PCs b4 I tackle something like this. There is a ton of other factors that are involved in building a PC for the car. Heat, placement, power draw, startup and shutdown sequencing just to name a few.

This site is very useful for info on car PCs:

http://www.mp3car.com/
Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, KoP, building a pc isn't rocket science. And there are a LOT of new things to consider with the carpc. But I tend to think that if you've never worked with a soldering iron or dremel tool, installed an aftermarket stereo, or taken interior panels off of cars before, I really don't see how you could do even a half assed job on a project like this.

There can be many headaches along the way. I ended up building 6 differenct cases to deal with the heat issue...I'm just glad that I haven't ever had any real big problems Good luck to both of you with your projects.

Since I got probably 90% of my info from mp3car.com, I try to send them most of my business. Great forum.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone figure out how to remove the OEM LCD display all together? Can all the info on the LCD be displayed on the touch screen? What about the steering wheel controls? Those incorporated to control volume and tracking thru the carputer yet?

I plan on using the carputer basically as a 'head unit' with a digital output into my Zapco DSP6's digital input. Using Zapco's software for system control. Touch screen and steering wheel controls for volume and tracking.
Zapco software---> Zapco.com Bottom of the home page.

Looking for someone to do it.

Kirk
Old 12-03-2006, 06:55 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Hey Kirk, we can definitely talk about this at the ATL meet in a few weeks. As far as steering wheel controls, I haven't done it, but I don't think it'd be too difficult. Each button sends a different voltage across a one wire system (varying resistor values) in the same exact way that a PC or XBOX joystick does.

As far as displaying the HVAC info on an aftermarket screen, no one has done it yet. I had a guy that was willing to help me with an oscilloscope, but then he disappeared I assume you have the non-navi model.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

omg....... looks so damn hot....
wish i had that in my TL...........
Old 05-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j2flo
omg....... looks so damn hot....
wish i had that in my TL...........

J2, are you in the MD area?

We have a garage that will design and install this setup to your car (not just TLs). PM me for more info.

Collin
Old 05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Looking for mods in

Originally Posted by theklassic
J2, are you in the MD area?

We have a garage that will design and install this setup to your car (not just TLs). PM me for more info.

Collin

Klassic- That install is so clean i want to drive to MD from Cali to have you do mine.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 AM
iDrink

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
damn ive been reading these forums for 3 years and ive finally read this thread!

i just wanna say WOW. nice work, and thanks for the inspiration!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 AM
5th Gear

Is there anyone in Los Angeles area that could do this for my 05 TL? Let me know. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear

Theklassic & Saturated_fat...

Just been reading up on ur posting... I'm loving how you (theklassic) have the TL setup...

I have an 06AT non-navi...

I live in Cationsville... would you be open to helping me out with the project... ?? plus... my car is in the process of becoming a demo vehicle for my side business... so I have some additions to the carputer....:o)

Could we meet up to discuss?? I tried PMing you both, but wouldn't go through...
Thanks, Seth
Old 06-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 211 Likes on 130 Posts
That is one of the most beautiful installs I have ever seen.

Man I wish I had the patience to do that to mine..

A+ job
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spritch1
Theklassic & Saturated_fat...

Just been reading up on ur posting... I'm loving how you (theklassic) have the TL setup...

I have an 06AT non-navi...

I live in Cationsville... would you be open to helping me out with the project... ?? plus... my car is in the process of becoming a demo vehicle for my side business... so I have some additions to the carputer....:o)

Could we meet up to discuss?? I tried PMing you both, but wouldn't go through...
Thanks, Seth

Sure man, email me kseebadan@drivendynamics.com .

We also just finished up an Install in my new 350z (No More RSX! ) and an 07 Element SC. Will have pics later on .
Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Advanced

As promised here are a few pics of my Z:

Full thread with more pics can be found @
http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279195

Navi Screen of Shotgun!:

Oh what's this...Youtube (yes I get internet in my car):
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Paging ITL

ITL, I am having trouble PM-ing you (I registered today). Can you email me at hsetty@triad.rr.com, I live in Diz-gusta and can easily make the trip to ATL. I am interested in improving my wife's 2002 TL-S with a carputer. I would do the same with my 05 TL but I got it with the factory navi installed (ARGH). Please let me know your fees, parts, etc. Thanks.

HS
Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

What would you charge .....

me if I drove down from Philly to do my TL just like yours?
-Brett
Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
8th Gear

the klassic, i have an '07 TL non-navi and i'm thinking of purchasing a NAVi for my car..where are u located in rockville? is it on rockville pike?..
Old 07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by glennard
the klassic, i have an '07 TL non-navi and i'm thinking of purchasing a NAVi for my car..where are u located in rockville? is it on rockville pike?..

G,

I'm near the Regal theatres in downtown Rockville. Let me if you're free to stop by the shop and I'll have some cars their for you to try out.

Driven Dynamics
112-G Frederick Ave.
Rockville, MD 20850
www.drivendynamics.com
cseebadan@drivendynamics.com
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dumb_Angel
me if I drove down from Philly to do my TL just like yours?
-Brett
Brett,

Give us a shout over email, we'll talk more about pricing - If you email us at info@drivendynamics.com will get back to you with some details and equipment specs.

We can probably get all this done on a Saturday.

Collin
Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Racer

Will these computer burn up in the trunk? I live in FL, we hit 100 very often during the summer. sometime it feels like 130 degrees in the car.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ezland00
Will these computer burn up in the trunk? I live in FL, we hit 100 very often during the summer. sometime it feels like 130 degrees in the car.
No, never had an issue with heat and its been pretty hot here this year.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:45 AM
Instructor

I'm on the verge of buying an '07 TL, and test-drove the non-navi today. I noticed that the '07 non-navi console display is now different from earlier models ... slightly improved but still a poor way to use all that prime real-estate on the dash, IMO. Here's a pic of the '07 console:

and here's the '07 console with Navi, just in case it's different too:

My question is - the console now has a different layout; how does this affect these projects?

I'm still torn between getting the Navi (plus the DICE iPod adapter) and the non-navi, so I'm very interested to hear any observations from anyone regarding the '07 non-navi changes. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

wow, I think that is pretty ugly (non-navi). In order to mimic the non-navi projects shown here, you'd need to obtain a dash bezel from another model year. That or you'd have to find a way to custom fabricate your own bezel. It's going to be hard to cutout a good square on that new bezel due to the angled sides...
Old 07-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I'm on the verge of buying an '07 TL, and test-drove the non-navi today. I noticed that the '07 non-navi console display is now different from earlier models ... slightly improved but still a poor way to use all that prime real-estate on the dash, IMO. Here's a pic of the '07 console:

and here's the '07 console with Navi, just in case it's different too:

My question is - the console now has a different layout; how does this affect these projects?

I'm still torn between getting the Navi (plus the DICE iPod adapter) and the non-navi, so I'm very interested to hear any observations from anyone regarding the '07 non-navi changes. Thanks!
I'd have to see what displays when it's actually on or see the size of the board. If the board will fit then you can probably still move it down like others have done.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:25 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

You'd better hope the board's not any bigger. The 04 barely fits down there as it is....and it required a little bit of cutting.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Racer

Hello,
Does the computer start right the way when start the car? I want to install a carputer, but i hate to wait for the system to boot up and play songs.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ezland00
Hello,
Does the computer start right the way when start the car? I want to install a carputer, but i hate to wait for the system to boot up and play songs.
If you use a DC-DC power supply, it will automatically turn the computer on via a remote turn on wire, and also shut down the PC by itself as well. Most people set their PC to hibernate rather than shut down completely. Depending on the PC, it takes anywhere from 25-35 seconds from the time you turn on the ignition until the time the music is playing.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 AM
6th Gear

nice job guys

I am looking into buying a non navi 2004 TL and putting in an aftermarket navi in it. I saw this work and i am very impressed. Does anybody know if somebody is doing this work in NJ or NY? and plus how is the navigation in it? Is it accurate and reliable or are there some concerns with that. Moreover how much would it cost to get this whole thing done including the computer. Maybe i can just plug in my laptop rather than buying a separate computer for it. Please give me your suggestion and plus is the carputer touch screen or we need to use a mouse to navigate through?

I will really appreciate all the responses.

Thanks
Umair
Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
I suggest you to get in touch with theklassic, he's offering an installation project and the results are damn good.
The laptop is a good idea since it could be very portable....as for the screen get a touch screen PERIOD!
Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Laptops can be used for CarPCs. The navi most people use is called Iguidance. I'm using a touchscreen for all my functions in car. For maintainance I can connect a mouse and keyboard if needed or I can take the PC out of the trunk and work on it on my desk. My cost was 1/2 of the navi option on the TL from the dealer. Cost can vary depending on what you want to do with it.

Here are some links to get you started

CarPC Website
http://www.mp3car.com/

Navi Software
http://www.inavcorp.com/
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
6th Gear

Guys thank you so much for the info. Do you have the contact info for "theklassic". For some reason i cant PM anybody yet. Moreover , King of Pain, how is your navi function? Is it pretty accurate and functional. I have heard people mentioning they use multiple navigations. Is that true and possible. When you say you are using the touchscreen for all your functions. Does it mean even the AC and all the other stuff you can control by this. If yes please i would like more detail on the project and if you have any pictures available that would be great. I am really interested and excited to have this all happening.

Again thanks for all you guys out there providing to this forum and helping starters like me out.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by pakiboy
When you say you are using the touchscreen for all your functions. Does it mean even the AC and all the other stuff you can control by this.
The best way I've seen it is you have to get the Navi screen and the NaviClock, but this is way much work then keeping the Stock NON navi LCD.

What most people do when installing the car PC, we relocate the LCD screen with the AC and temperature/headUnit info to Under the headunit, see theklassic pictures for more details on the first posts....

That is the easiest way InMyOpinion.

FYI: you cant send PM only after 5 or 10 posts I think! ENJOY And GOOD LUCK with your installation!!!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pakiboy
Guys thank you so much for the info. Do you have the contact info for "theklassic". For some reason i cant PM anybody yet. Moreover , King of Pain, how is your navi function? Is it pretty accurate and functional. I have heard people mentioning they use multiple navigations. Is that true and possible. When you say you are using the touchscreen for all your functions. Does it mean even the AC and all the other stuff you can control by this. If yes please i would like more detail on the project and if you have any pictures available that would be great. I am really interested and excited to have this all happening.

Again thanks for all you guys out there providing to this forum and helping starters like me out.

Guys,

Sorry, I kinda fell off this thread for a bit. Been hanging out too much in the performance section and spending money I don't have.

Pakiboy, I'm still around. The best way to reach me is probably through email. Drop me a line at cseebadan@drivendynamics.com

Also, checkout my shop's website at www.drivendynamics.com - The CarPC stuff is actually one of our main specialties. We've even custom written our own frontend which allows you to "chat" with other cars.

Hit me up if you're having trouble with your planning and install and we'll wrap.

Collin
Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM
8th Gear

the klassic, how much roughly is the estimate to get a navigation or CarPC install for non-navi TL owners?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 AM
2nd Gear

Carputer

Hey im new to acurazine... i have a 04 TL is it possible to do this?...im not all tht with electrical work so if u kno neone that would do this ...i'd be willin to pay them by the hour or w.e tthey like
Old 12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Let us know what state you live in, and we'll be able to better help you find someone.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM
PAPARAZZI

navi nervousness

I had a sterio guy install my factory navi in my 04 TL. EEEEKKK you literally have to gut the interior, pull the dash,steering column etc. I had to replace the roof harness, the harness that runs from the trunk to the dash and the dash harness. Every thing works fine and it cost me $2000 for the screen, computer in the trunk etc. used of course. The install took 6 days and $1500.00. I have seen other posts of installers making their own harness, but I could not find anyone here to do that. I had pictures of the horror of the gutted TL but not sure if they are still on this forum. PM me with your email address and I will send you the gory pictures of the install.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by paparazzi
I had a sterio guy install my factory navi in my 04 TL. EEEEKKK you literally have to gut the interior, pull the dash,steering column etc. I had to replace the roof harness, the harness that runs from the trunk to the dash and the dash harness. Every thing works fine and it cost me $2000 for the screen, computer in the trunk etc. used of course. The install took 6 days and $1500.00. I have seen other posts of installers making their own harness, but I could not find anyone here to do that. I had pictures of the horror of the gutted TL but not sure if they are still on this forum. PM me with your email address and I will send you the gory pictures of the install.

The TL is a monster to work on. But thankfully the electronics are rock solid - you can move stuff around, disconnect and reconnect, splice and dice, and at the end of the operation everything will still work as it should. I can say from personal experience this isn't the case with a number of German brands.

Also, since I've received a lot of PM's on this:

I've fell off the AZ scene again, but for anyone looking to do this on their own feel free to drop me a line. I'm always on email and I'll gladly help if I can.

If you're in the North-East and want a more hands off approach with an all inclusive professional install under a comprehensive limited warranty, we can help you out there as well.

Check out our website and give a shout for more details. If we're not close by enough, check out the other members too (some are on this thread - there're lots of talented individuals on these forums.)

Collin
Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear

i live in New Jersey(atlantic city)
Old 12-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Racer

How well does the navi integrate into the audio functions; meaning, is it possible to listen to MP3's while the car is navigating? Do the directions come out of the car speakers; does the music volume dim when it is time to give driving directions? Where does the actual GPS device go in the car? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:02 PM
[PA] NBP-TL

WHATS RIMS ARE THESE. LIKE!!!

upcoming:

[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 2005 non-navi *carputer* install