2005 non-navi *carputer* install

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool 2005 non-navi *carputer* install

we finished up this little project a few weeks ago and i thought you guys might like to see the end result. big props to my brother, who without him, there would be no way this would've been done. thanks also goes to ITL, moahdib, and the acurazine and mp3car guys. --- thanks!

now on to the details...

hardware:

shuttle XPC (2400XP, 120gig HD, DVD combo drive)
OPUS shutdown/startup controller
xenarc 7" touch screen display
USB GPS antenna (navi)
P.I.E. X3 (audio tap)
bluetooth adapter (for internet access through mobile)
ione wireless keyboard/mouse combo
blue LED external usb hub (hidden in center console)
amp wiring kit and various other electrical supplies, switches, and cables

software:

windows xp pro
roadrunner frontend
MC2.0 skin
winamp w/ vis
iguidance
lots of hacks, tweaks, and OS edits

basic process:

hack apart dash
move original LCD down (involves extending 44 wires, and some minor fabrication)
fit touch screen (dremel work)
run wires (battery, ground, ignition, switches, sound, video, and misc)
test
reassemble
and test

cost:

approximate total cost (minus the computer): $800
approximate time to completion: 20 hours

features:

navigation
audio (about 80 gigs worth of mp3s)
video (DVDs, MPGs, etc etc)
games (various emulators; N64, SNES, GB, GENSIS, MAME)
internet (city events, movie times, restaurants, streaming music, etc, etc)

pics:

Project car: 2005 TL - Non-Navi

Stock Dash Layout

Objective: Move stock display into the lower storage compartment, integrate aftermarket touch screen into dash

HVAC controls, storage compartments, and center console removed

Audio tapped (via P.I.E solution), wires extended to trunk and center console

Xenarc 7in TSV monitor along side stock LCD bezel, cut, sanded, and repainted

Practice fitting with HVAC and headunit wires extended

Lower console with compartments removed and original LCD w/ main board set in place

Xenarc display mounted

Back together again...

Booting upon ignition

Software: RoadRunner w/ MC2.0 skin (Frontend), iGuidance w/ IGmod (navigation), and Winamp w/ Milkdrop

iGuidance embedded into frontend

Original HVAC/Radio display moved to lower compartment

Alternate angle

Center console: External 4-port USB hub, aux audio input, and toggle switch to shutdown computer when not needed

Full view

Milkdrop visualization

Frontend's main screen

Frontend's audio screen

upcoming:

The following users liked this post:
LaCuRa (02-21-2014)
Old 03-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GODDAMN THATS HOT
do u have any pics of the computer?
do u have to manually shut it down before turning the car off?
awesome job fabricating
Old 03-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Racer

taco, here you go:

its not much to look at right now, but i plan on making a psuedo sub enclosure for it using a speaker grill for ventilation. i got the carpet, grill, and the clips, just need the time.

we're working on a couple other things right now, most importantly, an RSX-S install - almost done.

oh yeah, and the computer is wired into the ignition with a startup shutdown controller, so it will automatically start up when the car starts, and automatically shutdown after 10 seconds when the car is turned off.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicely done. Looks good.

Where did you get that wallpaper?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

looks hot. Now you got me wanting to do that mod. I've been debating on what to do with my non-navi and this might be a good route if I cant find the necessary parts for a stock navi.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very Impressive.

I think you are the second guy on the TL board who has done this, if I'm not mistaken. Props to you guys for having the guts to even attempt this.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AcuraTL06
Nicely done. Looks good.

Where did you get that wallpaper?

from acura.com of all places. they have some pretty decent updated images for 06.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Advanced

That is tight! I like how you moved the stock display to the lower compartment. Definitely looks hard to do though, but well worth it.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Mofo

Awesome install...very smooth
Where are you located?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Racer

just updated the profile, i'm in rockville, MD.

and thanks for the comments guys, i don't think i could've been more happy with the way this install turned out. i think the non-navi people out there in need of something a bit more should definitely research this route. its slightly time intensive and you definitely need some basic electronics skills, but the end result is worth it.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:04 PM

very nice bro! 10+++
Old 03-12-2006, 08:18 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Very nicely done! If I didn't have Navi, I'd be contacting you for guidance on doing my own setup.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
04 NBP 6MT

Clean. I love how well everything is integrated into the dash.

Acura should have offered this from the factory in the first place. I would've sprung for a carputer like that, but the Navi seemed like a waste of money since all it does is navigate.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:30 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
awesome! (again! ) now show me that RSX!!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:48 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by your_mom
...but the Navi seemed like a waste of money since all it does is navigate.
And quite a bit more, but you already knew that.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluenoise
And quite a bit more, but you already knew that.

yeah navi is a lot of coin, but acura does make one of the best systems. i personally, don't travel much outside of my usual routes, home, work, nightlife, etc, so i don't really have much use for it, and at ~$2000 it was a turn off (rims instead!!!)... navi, in my setup was more of a bonus feature. i'm a music nut, winamp and a hard drive filled with all my tunes is all i need to go.

i do agree though, that with all the tech know how honda/acura has, a carputer would be something they could definitely streamline for the public. i'm thinking windows CE or the like. something user friendly and integrated from the start.

and why not?
if a small group of car geeks can do it almost right, then what're we waiting on?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
awesome! (again! ) now show me that RSX!!!!!
ha. i'll wait for my brother to chime in here with his pics. he was working out some bugs in his carputer setup earlier tonight. btw. i think we've met... you drive a blue 2nd gen TL, yeah? if you do, then you definitely know my brother.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:38 AM
6th Gear

WOW....just amazing. I was thinking to purchase Eclipse AVN 5495 system, after seen what you have done to your lovely TL, i have changed my mind TOTALLY. I need more detail about those parts and installations. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Absolutely beautiful. Very clean install. I'd love to have something like that!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced

I think it looks gay, Like your FACE!

My RSX install is better than yours, damn right its better than yours. I could teach you but I have to charge...Oh wait you owe me money !

Teaser:

Old 03-13-2006, 10:22 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 03-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Kickass install! If I didn't have the in-built NAVI, the time and knowledge I'd do this too..

But, is it just me, or do I see CD-TEXT appearing on your radio display??

Regards
Old 03-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cyph3r
Kickass install! If I didn't have the in-built NAVI, the time and knowledge I'd do this too..

But, is it just me, or do I see CD-TEXT appearing on your radio display??

Regards

nawh, i wish. its just the XM titles popping up. to get sound from the PC/IPOD i installed the P.I.E. X3 device which taps into the XM port. it toggles between 3 inputs when in XM mode. it's pretty sweet, the down side is that you still see the XM display up. no biggie though.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by saturated_fat

Teaser: .

wow. whoever made that bezel and computer box for you must have some insane skills. i think you should pay him more rent this month. i think he would like that, whoever he maybe.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Truly awesome install =)
I am very proud to see you guys taking this to the next level after I pioneered this idea.
Its a lot of work but its by far the best mod you can do.

BTW (coming soon) : I am working on moving the stock HVAC lcd "elsewhere" and adding a 2nd LCD in the lower compartment... 2 xenarcs baby! I can have one dedicated for GPS, and another for music, videos, etc...
Old 03-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Very impressive install. Its looks right at home in the TL dash.

Everytime I see a TL carpc, I get inspired to start my own project.

It may sound silly, but when I was deciding on what vehicle to purchase, I actually considered how well I could integrate a carpc. In my last car, 03 Infiniti Qx4, I did a similar install. Its pretty awesome to have all your music at your fingertips and easily browsable through the touchscreen. Navigation, wireless internet, etc are all great, but the music interface is what I think makes it really special.

When I test drove the TL, I was very impressed with how well the stock navi integrated with the car. The only thing the system really lacked that I wanted was a good mp3 solution, but Acura was promising music link. So, I went with the Navi and waited for the music link release.

Well I personally think music link was a flop. The interface is pretty lame. So, I am now reconsidering a carpc.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by moahdib
BTW (coming soon) : I am working on moving the stock HVAC lcd "elsewhere" and adding a 2nd LCD in the lower compartment... 2 xenarcs baby! I can have one dedicated for GPS, and another for music, videos, etc...

this i gotta see! where would you put the stock display? where running out of room as it is already... cup holder compartment maybe?
Old 03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tejesh83

In my last car, 03 Infiniti Qx4, I did a similar install. Its pretty awesome to have all your music at your fingertips and easily browsable through the touchscreen. Navigation, wireless internet, etc are all great, but the music interface is what I think makes it really special.

man, that QX install was pro! nice nice nice! sorry to hear about the wreck, but you have some great skills in the way of making stuff look OEM, you could, and should, go for another install on a 3rd gen.

i'm curious to see how you would handle the trunk and wire control. the QX4 was clean!

go for it!
collin
Old 03-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tejesh83
Well I personally think music link was a flop. The interface is pretty lame. So, I am now reconsidering a carpc.
heh. i don't think its just you, based on what i've read it's a flop by anyone's standards. i can't believe they released such a thing. considering that the stock navi and interface is so well put together its even more insulting!

i don't get it.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Mofo

I wish someone in the NY area was willing to do this carputer mod for us less technical folk
Old 03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by maluskills
I wish someone in the NY area was willing to do this carputer mod for us less technical folk
the only question is whether or not you have the time...

you can definitely figure the rest out. plan well and you can do it. the hardest part is the most tedious part, and thats cutting and extending 44 wires. the rest lies in making stuff fit by chopping plastic and plexi - neither of which we had prior experience with.

it was a great learning project. i really don't think there's any single person on here that couldn't do this. check mp3car.com

getting someone else to do it for you though may set you back a few thousand. not good.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
I like to whistle in my

THis set up is real hot and clean. I saw in on MP3 last week. I've noticed alot of us MD/DC/VA folk have some nice rides and custom projects. I hope to see this in person at a near future meet
I want to do this but I still have some research to do...
Old 03-14-2006, 12:19 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Awesome install...I definitely feel your pain. After doing mine, I did an almost identical setup for a guy that drove to ATL from DC one weekend. After months and months of use, this thing gets better every day! How'd you hook up your "valet" power switch? I guess I need to update my thread on my install, now!

Originally Posted by Sclass88
I think you are the second guy on the TL board who has done this, if I'm not mistaken. Props to you guys for having the guts to even attempt this.
nope...third

Originally Posted by moahdib
Truly awesome install =)
I am very proud to see you guys taking this to the next level after I pioneered this idea.
Its a lot of work but its by far the best mod you can do.

moahdib, long time, no see....Any ideas as to where you'd put the oem? it just isn't enough to relocate it once, is it?

Originally Posted by maluskills
come to ATL
Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ITL
Awesome install...I definitely feel your pain. After doing mine, I did an almost identical setup for a guy that drove to ATL from DC one weekend. After months and months of use, this thing gets better every day! How'd you hook up your "valet" power switch? I guess I need to update my thread on my install, now!

Totally agree. I think I'm spoiled to the point that any of my future cars MUST have this setup.

As for the valet switch its just a simple two pole toggle switch that cuts the "ignition" wire going to the OPUS. We used the cigarette lighter +12v line that was right there and ran that to the PSU; switch off and PC shuts down, switch on and it boots back up. nothing as complicated as building a computer into a glove box from scratch and fabricating a cooling system.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by theklassic
Totally agree. I think I'm spoiled to the point that any of my future cars MUST have this setup.

As for the valet switch its just a simple two pole toggle switch that cuts the "ignition" wire going to the OPUS. We used the cigarette lighter +12v line that was right there and ran that to the PSU; switch off and PC shuts down, switch on and it boots back up. nothing as complicated as building a computer into a glove box from scratch and fabricating a cooling system.
lol...thanks for the props, man. I'm on my 5th carpc case for the glovebox, now. The latest one is simple, yet highly effective. It's a single piece of plexi bent into shape and properly directs the airflow most effeciently in the glovebox. I'm sure I'll come up with several more variations of it.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Instructor

amazing!!!!!!!!!

a couple questions for us noobs out there,

I'm planning on buying an aftermarket nav unit, but obviously would need to replace the non-navi screen.

now i love the idea of how you put the original non-navi screen into the lower half of the console where the two compartments are.

1. can you show us day time pics of how that screen fits flush to the center console? TTHANKs in advance.

secondly, you just showed me how i am going to do my install.
thank you.

sang
Old 03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sangwl
amazing!!!!!!!!!

a couple questions for us noobs out there,

I'm planning on buying an aftermarket nav unit, but obviously would need to replace the non-navi screen.

now i love the idea of how you put the original non-navi screen into the lower half of the console where the two compartments are.

1. can you show us day time pics of how that screen fits flush to the center console? TTHANKs in advance.

secondly, you just showed me how i am going to do my install.
thank you.

sang
i'm at work right now, but i'll get you some day light shots soon. here's the thing though. take a peek at the shot on the first page that shows the original LCD and main board behind the lower compartment/gear mount. you'll notice that it doesn't really fit flush with the opening.

that was one of the major issues i had with this install, i had to cut and paint a piece of plexi to fit just right over the LCD/compartment opening to hide that fact. you'll also need to mount the main board somehow behind that same piece. and before i forget (not sure if ITL has a better recommendation) but i had to cut the board itself of the HVAC controls --- scary i know --- but there's really no way to get it to fit right since the edges hit the top of the lower air vents that run down the center or the car.

i know this is hard to picture. sorry. but the basic gist is: trim main board, secure it to the back of lower console (epoxy/screws/etc), then cut and paint a piece to plexi to fit over the front.

maybe ITL and moadib can chime in with a better way?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:03 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

I cut about 1/8" notch as mentioned above in the bottom corners of the board to fit snugly with the air vents. I'm actually using the screws from the storage compartments to secure the screen on the holes in the trim piece.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
wow.... awesome install on the TL..... you never said total cost including the computer... $$??

damn.... u willing to do that for someone else???
Old 03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
wow.... awesome install on the TL..... you never said total cost including the computer... $$??

damn.... u willing to do that for someone else???

i already had the computer lying aroundm (stole it from my brother.) but the rest of the parts and tools costs around 800. and we are actually doing it for other people, he just completed his install in his rsx, and we may start on a couple of friends' cars.

Quick Reply: 2005 non-navi *carputer* install