'06 TL w/ Viper 5901 - Lights Stay On?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'06 TL w/ Viper 5901 - Lights Stay On?

Hey All,

So I have the Viper 5901 installed in my '06 TL. It was installed with the D2D cable to the XPressKit DB-ALL. When I remote start my car the locks unlock, lock, and then the car turns on. I then shut down the remote start with the remote and the car shuts off, then locks and resets the factory alarm. All of this works fine, except that the headlights stay on. I normally just leave them in the on position and then let the car shut them off after 60S when the timer runs out. I have been talking to nfnsquared about this issue, but neither one of us can figure out exactly where it may be an issue (he thinks firmware, so I am going to get it reflashed to the latest). Any other ideas?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use the rearm wire to pulse the door pin wire to simulate the door opening. That should make the car think that door opened and start the count down to turn off the lights.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CarologistFB
Use the rearm wire to pulse the door pin wire to simulate the door opening. That should make the car think that door opened and start the count down to turn off the lights.
Do you happen to know which pins that is? Any wiring detail would be helpful.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EMF9
From what I can tell it is a green wire on pin E15 on the drivers kick panel. It seems that if I ground the pin it would simulate a door open. Can anyone give a bit of guidance about how to wire this into the Viper?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by CarologistFB
Now that I think about it, I believe you may be correct. I think the timer may be activated based on the dome light turning on/off. (Which in turn is activated by the door opening/closing or an unlock/lock pulse which is what the canmax400dei does on my system to make it work).

From what I can tell it is a green wire on pin E15 on the drivers kick panel. It seems that if I ground the pin it would simulate a door open. Can anyone give a bit of guidance about how to wire this into the Viper?
E14 (GRN/YEL) and E15 (GRN) are door courtesy lights. Not sure which is which.

On the Viper, do you have menu item 2-5 (Ignition Controlled Dome Lighting) programmed to ON (default, setting 1) or OFF (setting 2)??

If it's to ON, set it to OFF and see if that fixes your issue. I have it OFF.

Here's a link to the VIPER installation manual in case you don't have one (pg 42 and pp 46-47):

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...2008_08web.pdf

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-12-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Tried changing the dome light. Didn't seem to do anything. Seems like I may need to wire a relay. I am going to update the firmware at some point. Any other ideas? How would I wire the relay to do what I need in this case?

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Now that I think about it, I believe you may be correct. I think the timer may be activated based on the dome light turning on/off. (Which in turn is activated by the door opening/closing or an unlock/lock pulse which is what the canmax400dei does on my system to make it work).

E14 (GRN/YEL) and E15 (GRN) are door courtesy lights. Not sure which is which.

On the Viper, do you have menu item 2-5 (Ignition Controlled Dome Lighting) programmed to ON (default, setting 1) or OFF (setting 2)??

If it's to ON, set it to OFF and see if that fixes your issue. I have it OFF.

Here's a link to the VIPER installation manual in case you don't have one (pg 42 and pp 46-47):

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...2008_08web.pdf

Last edited by EMF9; 02-12-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Race Director

It's pin 4 (GRN/RED, negative) of connector I (light green, 5-pin connector) behind the under dash fuse box. Yes, you'll need a relay.

I think there are a few other folks with the Viper and DB-ALL on this forum. Do a search for DB-ALL and then maybe PM them to see if they have the same issue.

Also, check out the car security forum over at the12volt.com. Lots of very smart folks over there.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-12-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Instructor

It's pin 4 (GRN/RED, negative) of connector I (light green, 5-pin connector) behind the under dash fuse box. Yes, you'll need a relay.

I think there are a few other folks with the Viper and DB-ALL on this forum. Do a search for DB-ALL and then maybe PM them to see if they have the same issue.

Also, check out the car security forum over at the12volt.com. Lots of very smart folks over there.
Alright. I'll give it a look when I go in there to do the defroster. Can you tell me what some of your settings are set to?

Specifically 1-5/6/7/8/9, 2-5/6/7/8, and 3-3/8/12?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Race Director

Alright. I'll give it a look when I go in there to do the defroster. Can you tell me what some of your settings are set to?

Specifically 1-5/6/7/8/9, 2-5/6/7/8, and 3-3/8/12?

Thanks.
1: all default (option 1)
2: 5 is off, 6-8 default (option 1)
3: all default (option 1)
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a question and this might have been tried..but I have a 5902 and I have to press the lock button twice to turn off the lights, have you tried this?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by domllama
Just a question and this might have been tried..but I have a 5902 and I have to press the lock button twice to turn off the lights, have you tried this?
That works. Somehow it when the remote shutdown runs it doesn't activate the timer for the lights. Lock twice works as does unlock/lock etc.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

That works. Somehow it when the remote shutdown runs it doesn't activate the timer for the lights. Lock twice works as does unlock/lock etc.
Hmm.. that sucks. Just something that may help; On my install I used the PKH-34 and the XK-01 .. not sure if it is different from others who have talked here.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Is there a way to rest the whole Viper 5901 back to defaults?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Is there a way to rest the whole Viper 5901 back to defaults?
Not in front of it but the procedure should be in the manual
Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Not in front of it but the procedure should be in the manual

Nevermind. I'm just blind.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Race Director

Does the XK01 shut off the lights after turning of the car via the remote start, i.e.:

Start car, turn on lights, activate RS sequence, leave lights on, exit car, lock doors (car shuts off). Remote start car, let run 30 secs, turn off car with viper remote...Do the lights go out?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Does the XK01 shut off the lights after turning of the car via the remote start, i.e.:

Start car, turn on lights, activate RS sequence, leave lights on, exit car, lock doors (car shuts off). Remote start car, let run 30 secs, turn off car with viper remote...Do the lights go out?
I'm a bit confused about the process. ...

1) Enter Car + Start w/ Key
2) Lights On
3) Enable RS (Valet Takeover)
4) Exit Car
5) Lock
6) Not Sure About This?... Why Does The Car Shutoff?
7) Enable RS
8) Wait 30
9) Disable RS

Is that correct?.... The lights stay on.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Race Director

I'm a bit confused about the process. ...

1) Enter Car + Start w/ Key
2) Lights On
3) Enable RS (Valet Takeover)
4) Exit Car
5) Lock
6) Not Sure About This?... Why Does The Car Shutoff?
7) Enable RS
8) Wait 30
9) Disable RS

Is that correct?.... The lights stay on.
No, in your original post (and our PMs), you weren't using Valet takeover:

... When I remote start my car the locks unlock, lock, and then the car turns on. I then shut down the remote start with the remote and the car shuts off, then locks and resets the factory alarm. All of this works fine, except that the headlights stay on...
The sequence I gave him was trying to duplicate your original post in which you remote started the car and then shut it down via the remote (and lights stay on). If you enable remote start before exiting the car, the car should stay running when you remove the key and then shut down after you exit the car and lock the door with the remote.

Then you RS the car (lights go on, car starts). Then you use remote to shut down the car (lights stay on, though they should go off). Am I missing something here?

Last edited by nfnsquared; 02-14-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Instructor

No, in your original post (and our PMs), you weren't using Valet takeover:

The sequence I gave him was trying to duplicate your original post in which you remote started the car and then shut it down via the remote (and lights stay on). If you enable remote start before exiting the car, the car should stay running when you remove the key and then shut down after you exit the car and lock the door with the remote.

Then you RS the car (lights go on, car starts). Then you use remote to shut down the car (lights stay on, though they should go off). Am I missing something here?
No. You're right. I get what you want me to do. I'll give that a try a post the results.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Race Director

No. You're right. I get what you want me to do. I'll give that a try a post the results.
Sorry, I posted that for domllama to try to see if his unit (XK01) acts the same as yours...

We already know yours is not turning off the lights...

Any luck checking with other Viper owners with a DB-ALL?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Intermediate

Sorry, I posted that for domllama to try to see if his unit (XK01) acts the same as yours...

We already know yours is not turning off the lights...

Any luck checking with other Viper owners with a DB-ALL?
No the XK01 and PKH34 were seperate modules; at the time of install I did have the option to use the single module (listed above by OP) but for purposes of separating out responsibilities I thought if I had any problems it would be easy to pinpoint.

My lights do turn off either on timer or by clicking the lock two times. It acts the same as stock locking, unlocking with lights on. No problems yet with this.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Race Director

No the XK01 and PKH34 were seperate modules; at the time of install I did have the option to use the single module (listed above by OP) but for purposes of separating out responsibilities I thought if I had any problems it would be easy to pinpoint.

My lights do turn off either on timer or by clicking the lock two times. It acts the same as stock locking, unlocking with lights on. No problems yet with this.
So the XK01 doesn't perform properly either? You shouldn't have to use the 2 clicks to turn off the lights. It should do it for you without having to touch a thing.

The canmax400dei automatically cycles the locks after shutting down a remote starter car with the remote. I don't have to do a thing.

It also doesn't unlock the car before a remote start. I'm really glad I got the canmax after hearing these issues that folks are having with other door lock units....
Old 02-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Instructor

So the XK01 doesn't perform properly either? You shouldn't have to use the 2 clicks to turn off the lights. It should do it for you without having to touch a thing.

The canmax400dei automatically cycles the locks after shutting down a remote starter car with the remote. I don't have to do a thing.

It also doesn't unlock the car before a remote start. I'm really glad I got the canmax after hearing these issues that folks are having with other door lock units....

Update: Reset the Viper 5901 to defaults and changed only the 2/5 option. Still nothing. I am going to update the firmware (or make sure it is up to date) this weekend and see if that fixes it.

-Eric
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Wait... cycles the locks? ... You mean when you shut down the remote start actually unlocks and then re-locks the car? Mine doesn't do that. Mine just "re-locks" them even though they are already locked.