[Full Guide] 9.7in Android Touch Navi Upgrade (Tesla Style) for Acura TL 2004-2008

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
Is anyone having any issues with the steering wheel volume button being super sensitive all of a sudden? I push it once and it turns the volume like 1/4 of the way up or down
The following users liked this post:
BryanC (03-12-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:45 PM
06 TL Owner and Comedian

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
All the problems with the heat unit seem to be in new units. You guys might want to restore your units and get the latest app that controls climate

my Auto setting has been working fine for years. However you might need new clock screens. I’m getting a new one because mines flickering. And with my new heated seats I actually hear feedback but disconnecting the clock makes it go away. I have a feeling these clocks have a shelf life. So I got a used clock off ebay.
RxWorld (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:46 PM
06 TL Owner and Comedian

Originally Posted by RxWorld
Is anyone having any issues with the steering wheel volume button being super sensitive all of a sudden? I push it once and it turns the volume like 1/4 of the way up or down
never had that issue either
Old 02-07-2023, 11:01 PM
Instructor

I made this install video if it helps anyone

Old 02-08-2023, 04:05 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I made this install video if it helps anyone
Watched it before installation to prepare. Good job. Thanks 🙏
Old 02-08-2023, 04:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OnlyDaanish
define strange. And if that is happening you might need to restore the software.
It is not big issue as I just need to push home screen and everything works fine. Just strange as I get randome starting screens from time to time 😊 This one appeared for two days. Now I get the ac panel as starting screen 🤷😃

BTW. Navitech response significantly improved.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:28 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Installing Tesla Style Radio

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a question about using SIM card in the unit, are there some companies better than others for this kind of usage. I guess it would be a data only. Or should I just use the android auto, I haven't used it before. I have an 04 TL and I am installing it this weekend. Thanks for the information you have here about the radio, it has been very helpful.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:09 PM
06 TL Owner and Comedian

Originally Posted by green95nsx
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a question about using SIM card in the unit, are there some companies better than others for this kind of usage. I guess it would be a data only. Or should I just use the android auto, I haven't used it before. I have an 04 TL and I am installing it this weekend. Thanks for the information you have here about the radio, it has been very helpful.
If I were you I’d use the android auto. I have a Tmobile sim and it goes in and out randomly. Save urself the trouble lol
Old 02-12-2023, 02:46 AM
Instructor

This is what I've been testing for 3 weeks now.

It is tasking app.
I've created two queries.
1. When BT connects to Acura, turn on hotspot.
2. When BT disconnects Acura, turn off hotspot.
The unit autoconnects the available wifi, as any device with wifi.
Works perfectly.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Side trims fitment

I've done some craftwork to make it easier to fit the side trims.
The rows in the unit are too narrow and are not the same at each place
Before:

After:

Also cut the little ones on the top like this:

The result: trims fit perfectly and are easy to mount even as the last part.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:46 PM
6th Gear

Tesla Screen install

Hi, I installed the radio/ tablet last weekend plus I replaced the blend door motor. When I turn on the car the radio boots up and goes to the normal desktop?? and then 2 apps keep loading. One is google and the other is the music player. I can't figure out how to stop those 2 apps from opening. And can you delete any of the apps already installed. I was wondering if you can dim the screen at night, it is so bright. I noticed that the lights in the hvac buttons are not as bright as they were in the stock radio, Is that due to voltage issue. Can you get brighter bulbs for the switches? Thanks
Old 02-19-2023, 09:34 PM
06 TL Owner and Comedian

Hi, I installed the radio/ tablet last weekend plus I replaced the blend door motor. When I turn on the car the radio boots up and goes to the normal desktop?? and then 2 apps keep loading. One is google and the other is the music player. I can't figure out how to stop those 2 apps from opening. And can you delete any of the apps already installed. I was wondering if you can dim the screen at night, it is so bright. I noticed that the lights in the hvac buttons are not as bright as they were in the stock radio, Is that due to voltage issue. Can you get brighter bulbs for the switches? Thanks
Ah a loaded question after some time

So I wish I replaced the blend door, actually maybe I still could, good tip. As for the boot up that sounds wrong, it should go into the system with a few apps. Send photos? That probably is causing the other issues. And the light should be dimmed through the settings and it also auto dims when your turn on the headlights.

Yes I replaced my lights when i did this, your light was probably on its way out, and this GIANT NEW bright screen is now over shining them making them feel dimmer? You can get replacement LED T3 bulbs for those. I'd get them in white. They look great with the Navi.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:42 AM
Instructor

I had booting aps at start several times. The interesting thing is sometimes it starts to boot on home screen, sometimes the booting app changes to another. Last time I asked NaviTech, they advices to reset unit. I did and it was ok for a while and started to boot app again - i think the last app that was on when I turned off the car.

Now my question 😊
I Tried to download some files from my phone to the unit. I connected via USB, in file exchange mode, the phone started to charge however the each device doesn't see another one as mass storage.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:33 AM
06 TL Owner and Comedian

Originally Posted by mariusz439
I had booting aps at start several times. The interesting thing is sometimes it starts to boot on home screen, sometimes the booting app changes to another. Last time I asked NaviTech, they advices to reset unit. I did and it was ok for a while and started to boot app again - i think the last app that was on when I turned off the car.

Now my question 😊
I Tried to download some files from my phone to the unit. I connected via USB, in file exchange mode, the phone started to charge however the each device doesn't see another one as mass storage.
oh you guys mean start up apps. Yeah that happens sometimes. I just make sure im on the home page when I turn off the car. Also with the new launcher skin I released it makes it but easier to want to stay on the home page lol.

you can’t plug your phone in for files. It has to be a usb formatted to be read by the unit. In fat32 most likely, I forget
mariusz439 (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by OnlyDaanish
you can’t plug your phone in for files. It has to be a usb formatted to be read by the unit. In fat32 most likely, I forget
thanks 👍
Old 03-02-2023, 10:57 AM
Instructor

If you want to connect your phone as storage.

Install FTP Server app on Android unit and press red button

Open Total Commander on your phone.Go to main catalogue --> FTP

Configure FTP connection as FTP Server app shows on Android unit screen

And you can see the android unit storage on your phone.

It is not as fast as coping from dongle, but it allows to connect directly the unit and phone.
Old 03-03-2023, 09:07 PM
6th Gear

Smile The time on the screen keeps starting at 6:20

I have a question if anyone else has an issue with the clock in the unit starting at 6:20 pm every time the car is started?. I did solve the apps loading thing, the one panel that has all the apps with the on off switches, well I just turned the ones off if I did not want it to open when I start the car. I haven't had time to try to get the steering wheel buttons setup to the radio. Any special instructions on doing that?
Thanks for all the information for the install it really helped me
Old 03-04-2023, 03:08 AM
Instructor

Mine unit starts with clock set to time when it was turned off and synchronizes when connected to internet.
Looks as if there is no internal clock in the unit
The steering wheel buttons programing is easy peasy 😊

I just took out the HFL module as it was annoying that each time i turned on the car the HFL wanted to be my best friend again 😜

Last edited by mariusz439; 03-04-2023 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. I had the same issue after I attempted to assign steering wheel controls (SWC) or buttons. My up and down volume went from 0 to 100 % volume rather quickly. I messaged NaviTech for advice. They indicated that I should verify that I’m getting 12 V on one of connector pin outs to radio. Pin #4 should be 12 V. I’ve not had time to check voltage. I suspect that my steering wheel clock spring is going bad. That would better explain a poltergeist response from SWC (buttons).

Here is connector pin out they provided.
RxWorld (05-02-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 01:12 AM
Cruisin'

Tesla Radio Climate Control only displays Degrees Centigrade

Has anyone attempted to load firmware update to allow temperature units to display in Degree F rather than Degree C?

Change C to F APK File: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rcd0d...u.air.apk/file

i attempted the file update with no success. I have the latest radio & motherboard. Just bought a 6 G Ram head unit from NaviTech. I’ve reached out to them with no response yet.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:52 AM
Cruisin'

Temperature APK Question

Hi OnlyDaanish,

Can you provide steps required to upload the Temperature option for Degrees F display for Tesla style radio. I attempted to upload APK but it wasn’t successful in providing Deg F display change. I put the APK file that you provided on a USB stick and inserted into Tesla radio usb adapter/cable attached to radio. I received a message indicating APK uploaded; however, when I checked radio display it showed Deg C?? I did toggle from Deg C to Deg F after APK upload but didn’t work.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:39 AM
Cruisin'

Follup to my question about Tesla Radio APK Update file for Temp Deg F

I paid more attention to radio head unit message after attempting to load Deg C to Deg F - APK file. Message indicated file was not successfully loaded!? I checked my settings that allow 3rd party updates and it was selected. So not sure why APK file didn’t load. Is this the latest APK file to make switch to Deg F display for AC controls?

Still no word from NaviTech. I’m considering returning the head unit. After sales support is not helping me with this problem and steering wheel control buttons not working.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Returning the Tesla Style Radio

I attempted to work with NaviTech to resolve several lingering yet significant problems with the operation of the Tesla radio. I find their customer service to be less than helpful. The very few useful responses that I have received were the result of 3 or 4 messages repeatedly requesting assistance. The unresolved issues are 1) poor fit and finish of installation with Acura trim pieces, 2) steering control buttons are not functional despite several days of attempted fixes, 3) all temperatures on radio HVAC controls are in metric units KPH and Degrees C. Could not get it to display MPH and Degrees F. I feel that if one spends over $500 for a replacement market radio then key functionality should work out of the box. Another reason for returning this radio is that I have little confidence in their after sales support. My impression is that they give cursory, short and incomplete answers. No initiative to get with their technical folks to provide substantive answers.
Old 03-15-2023, 03:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BryanC
1) poor fit and finish of installation with Acura trim pieces.
Posted somewhere below how to do it with some craft work. I do not believe there is an easy solution to mount it without craft work.
Originally Posted by BryanC
little confidence in their after sales support.
100% truth conclusion. I believe the problem is they are not the factory distributor as they were described for a long time but just reseller who should contact factory support in case of problems but they don't.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Doesn't the setting in the last line work?

Old 03-15-2023, 01:39 PM
Cruisin'

Temperature change setting work?

Doesn't the setting in the last line work?
No. It does not work. When you change setting from Deg C to Deg F in settings and then perform a reset as requested by NaviTech, the display continues to show Deg C. In the picture that you provided, it seems your setting is on Deg F yet display is not Deg F?
Old 03-15-2023, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Forgot to restart Just restarted and it works
Old 03-17-2023, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Can someone remind me or point me to a video to upload a new wallpaper to the screen to replace the stock one? I know you have to upload it through the USB and drop it somewhere
Old 03-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Cruisin'

Temperature firmware upgrade

Forgot to restart Just restarted and it works
Thank you for considering my problem with getting the AC display to show Deg F. In response to your advice, I have tried selection of Deg F with turn off radio and hitting the reset button (as advised by several videos on YouTube about installing APK files on this radio). Neither worked. My memory USB stick is formatted to FAT32 as recommended. The radio seems to recognize the file when I insert; however, I don’t think the file is successfully installing.

I have selected “accept 3rd party software”. Still not working.

I have reached out several times to NaviTech. They keep telling me they are consulting with their engineers. But that has been 5 days ago. I don’t really expect them to help. I’ve been told that NaviTech is only a 3rd party retailer and Not manufacturing & Engineering.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:35 AM
Instructor

When have you bought your unit? I received mine in December and I didn't have to install any APK to change the temperature metric system - it already worked.
Old 03-18-2023, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

When have you bought your unit? I received mine in December and I didn't have to install any APK to change the temperature metric system - it already worked.
Yep. Due to a radio freeze up issue, I had to perform a hard reset. What I found out later is that when you perform a “hard or factory” reset you can lose some APK files. I’ve checked in all on radio file folders. And you guessed it. No backup folders available to restore files. One would think there would be a backup file folder that contains originally installed files…like a restore disk made available by PC manufacturers!?

Last edited by thoiboi; 03-24-2023 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

Steering wheel volume buttons

I have been trying to get my steering wheel volume buttons to work but no luck. What do I need to do to get those connected? Is their a special page?. I have another question.. How do you put a picture of a car on the main page, there isn't one on my start page. How do you do a RESET and what does a reset do ?, I see a small hole on the right hand side. Does it wipe everything?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2023, 04:40 AM
Instructor

I I see a small hole on the right hand side. Does it wipe everything?
Thanks
It is like power button - just restarts the unit
Old 03-19-2023, 07:42 AM
Instructor

Long press on the screen

Then you get this

Path in explorer
Old 03-21-2023, 11:56 PM
Cruisin'

Can you provide the Temperature APK File?

Can you provide the Temperature APK File that allows display in Deg Fahrenheit? I would appreciate the help. I believe that the temperature & HVAC control APK file that I have is obsolete.

The APK File name is190000000_com.syu.air.apk

Thank you
Old 03-21-2023, 11:58 PM
Cruisin'

When did I purchase unit?

I bought my Tesla Style Android Head Unit from NaviTech in February 2023.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:04 AM
Cruisin'

Radio Reset Button

I have been trying to get my steering wheel volume buttons to work but no luck. What do I need to do to get those connected? Is their a special page?. I have another question.. How do you put a picture of a car on the main page, there isn't one on my start page. How do you do a RESET and what does a reset do ?, I see a small hole on the right hand side. Does it wipe everything?
Thanks
I was told by NaviTech that the head unit must be “reset” whenever a new firmware file is loaded into the unit. The button is located on the lower right corner of unit. It is clearly labeled “reset”.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:58 PM
6th Gear

CAN bus type

I have been trying to set up the steering wheel buttons but no luck, I noticed that there are many CAN bus type on the list for Hondas. Does any one know which one works with 04 to 06 TL.
Thanks
Old 03-23-2023, 11:27 PM
Cruisin'

Correct car model selection for CANBUS

I have been trying to set up the steering wheel buttons but no luck, I noticed that there are many CAN bus type on the list for Hondas. Does any one know which one works with 04 to 06 TL.
Thanks

NaviTech confirmed that this car model should be used for CANBUS. After you select this car model, go to the “Control” app in the radio to make SWC button assignments to the radio.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:31 PM
Cruisin'

Can anyone share the UPDATED AC Controller App

I had asked earlier in this topic for help in obtaining the most recent HVAC Controller APK that includes the Temperature display in Deg Fahrenheit. At least two folks appear to have radios that allow change from Deg C to Deg F.

Quick Reply: [Full Guide] 9.7in Android Touch Navi Upgrade (Tesla Style) for Acura TL 2004-2008