*Help* Navi screen/subs/backupcam/etc all went out`

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008 | 10:34 PM
Sexiest NBP.. inthemaking

Unhappy *Help* Navi screen/subs/backupcam/etc all went out`

Hey guys,

Wondering if anybody can help me with my situation right now. I was driving in my car tonight, its a snowy vancouver night, and i went ot pick up my gf, she came into my car with wet shoes. So she decides to take out a blow dryer to dry them. She goes and plugs it into my outlet and there it goes, everythign in my car dies.

My set up:

Dom's Unit
Dom's Backup cam
Subs/Amps
Ps2
Extention Outlet
Inverter.

How i ran it:

I had an inverter getting power from the battery, and my ps2 is plugged into the inverter. The inverter had an extra slot so i used an extension cord and had it sticking out in my glove box. Camera's power is from the reverse light. Subs are coming from the battery as well.

What broke:
-Right now, my navi screen is really light, you can barely see whats on it and it scrolls up and around over and over.
-When i put my car in reverse, camera does not show up anymore. Although there is power to my reverse lights, theres no camera.
-My subs, I dunt near my subs running anymore, my controller for the subs have no more power going to it.
-The extention cord has no more power coming from it.
-Ps2 has no more when i try to power it up.

Please help me out guys, i was suppose to go to a christmas dinner tonight but my navigation broke so i could not get there. If anybody has any clue on what i should do, please leave your comments

Thank you.
Old 12-26-2008 | 11:15 PM
Burning Brakes

maybe something short circuited. but hair dryers normally use a lot of power. i would never plug one in my car.
Old 12-26-2008 | 11:55 PM
Drifting

bad move, i would check all your fuses and hope 5 of them are blown and that is it and nothing short circuited

btw thats a pretty cool setup
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:05 AM

which fuses would i check though? none of the TL's original power is out, like the reverse light is working and such, Only thing thats factory that isnt working is the navi screen, the rest were all after market right?..
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:10 AM
Drifting

yeah im dumb, i kinda missed the "how i ran it" part. doesnt the cable going from battery to inverter have a fuse? same with the sub?
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:29 AM
Pro

Is it possible the inverter "kicked" back into your car's electric system if it blew due to the draw? In other words, since a car's electrical system runs on only 12 volts, and household appliances run on 110 (115?), maybe the inverter somehow hit your whole electrical system with a 110V charge for a millisecond. ?

My GF's new, gigantic hair dryer blows our house fuses sometimes...I'm sure they draw a great deal of amperage.
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:34 AM

yeah, i guess i have to take my car apart to look at those fuses.... damn

Hey bg74, what would it mean if my inverter hit my whole electrical system? what kind of damage does that cause?... i hope not damn
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

check your underhood and interior fuses. Can you still drive around? If so its probably not fuse 32 which is for the radio and shift-lock. The naviscreen is light because dom's unit has to be on to provide the proper signal.

Check to see if you headlights and tail-lights work first, also check to see your reverse lights work.

From my unprofessional diagnosis, I think 2 things could have happened:

1. Blow fuses that affected all this stuff since it was connected straight to the battery
2. The inverter shorted and sent the current to the battery, which sent it to the ground and passed a large current to all the devices in the car, through their respective ground wires. You may have killed every electronic in the car, check them to see they work.
Old 12-27-2008 | 11:23 AM

Thanks csmeance for replying,

Everythign Factory on the car is working electronic wize, My car still runs, All my signals work, reverse, break headlights etc all work.

When you say killed every electronic in my car, that would have to include the radio and such too right? so that couldnt of happened right... i sure hope so... and which electronics should i check still works? so i dont have to take my entire car apart to see if its all killed?

I was thinkng to just check the ps2, and if that still works then the rest must work right, cuz it cant just destroy one but not the other right?.. arg//
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:46 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Check the interior fuse box #5, 7 & 9 and under hood fuse #7. Page: 245-248 Owner's Manual or 4-7 .pdf. Here is the link for online Manual:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...404O00242B.pdf
Old 12-27-2008 | 03:55 PM

i've checked my reverse lights and they are working, so those fuses are all okay,

Its weird though, how come all my aftermarket stuff are dead, and all the factory are okay? thats kinda weird...

** Well so i went down to my car with a monitor that has a yellow rca slot. I opened up my trunk cover and plugged the c amera's yellow rca into the monitor, and when i put my car into reverse, i thoguht itd show up on the monitor but it didnt.. i really hope my electrical devices arent blown....
Old 12-28-2008 | 11:29 AM
RAR

This happened to me. I had a tech friend look into it, apparantly some of the wires coming out of dom's unit were getting stripped and it was shorting out. I can only assume the action of opening/closing the trunk or the unit moving around wore them down.
Old 12-28-2008 | 10:28 PM

i doubt it could form being stripped, cuz the moment she plugged the blow dryer in, thats when everything got shot... arg.. still waiting till jan 5th till i can bring it into a shop...... ack.... im scared to turn my tl on incase i do moer damage to itm so its bascialyl sitting in my garage.......