For the Zaino freaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004 | 12:11 AM
Team SSM

For the Zaino freaks

Re-print from Bettercarcare.com

Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

Rumors of the superior performance of Meguiar's new NXT Tech Wax have been so strong that extreme car enthusiasts have offered sums up to $200 for a small sample.

It's been a long time since Meguiar's produced an all-new wax product. Meguiar's has a tradition of perfecting products over a period of years. I first used Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant more than a dozen years ago. It seemed to me like every new bottle I purchased was a little different; always for the better.

Polymer wax technology has come a long way since Meguiar's first developed #20 Polymer Sealant. As #20 seems to have reached its full potential, it only stands to reason that Meguiar's would go back to the drawing board. According to **** Koeth, Meguiar's VP, Strategic Planning, "the Meguiar's chemists started with a clean slate." The new product line, known internally as "NXT Generation," is being developed as a modern, high-tech detailing line for the new generation of car enthusiasts.

Rumors of the superior performance of Meguiar's new NXT Tech Wax have been so strong that extreme car enthusiasts have offered sums up to $200 for a small sample. On a recent eBay auction, the winning bid for a small bottle of NXT Tech Wax, autographed by Barry Meguair, was $395. So, I guess I should count myself lucky that I walked away with a 4 oz. sample. Officially I received "lab sample 19-75E", mixed 9/23/03. The official release of NXT Tech Wax is scheduled for early February, 2004.

Based on my initial use, I will get two full applications on my test vehicle, a titanium metallic 2004 Porsche Cayenne S. The final product will be served in a hip 18 oz. purple bottle with a bright green flip cap at $14.95 (list), making it the first modern enthusiast polymer wax to be priced under a dollar an ounce, or a keen $1.66 per application.

The first thing I noticed about NXT Tech Wax is that it has a very smooth texture and a light, cheerful key lime fragrance with just a hint of Jujubees. I allowed the product to sit for four days undisturbed to see if it would separate. It doesn’t. The texture remains smooth.

The Meguiar’s lab coat technicians and staff are tight-lipped about the chemistry behind their new creation, saying only that they went back to formula. New chemicals, new mixing techniques and new thinking went in to the next generation line, which includes NXT Tech Wax, NXT Spray Wax, NXT All Metal Polysh, NXT Car Wash and NXT Tech Protectant (for vinyl, rubber and plastic).

Like most synthetic waxes, NXT Tech Wax likes to be applied to a clean surface that has been prepped with a pre-wax cleaner. However, I did a side-by-side on an un-prepared panel to test slickness and ease of application in less than ideal conditions. Having been driven more than 1,200 miles in the past month and not waxed since before the San Diego fires started, the Cayenne’s paint was in need of some TLC.

I used a microfiber applicator to apply NXT Tech Wax on the unprepared paint in order to get a bit of cleaning action. On the prepared paint I used a fine foam applicator. I applied the product in two thin coats, rubbing it in well, but not buffing off between coats. I allowed the product to sit for a minute or so and buffed it off with one of my Concours Buffing Towels.

Buffing out NXT Tech Wax was very easy. There was a little residue, but no streaking. I mean none! Some of the high-tech products I’ve tested recently can’t make this claim. So, let me put it to you simply this way: NXT Tech Wax may be setting a new standard for ease of application. Easy on, easy off. No fuss!

Now I’ll bet you want to know how it looks, right? Well, it looks great! It has nice clarity and the high gloss finish of the best polymer sealants I’ve used (and I have them all, mind you). Unlike any other polymer sealant I’ve ever used, instead of leaving a silvery shimmer, it made the paintwork look darker and richer. Now, the metallic in the platinum paint stands out. It does not have the wet-look of the best carnauba waxes, but it added nice depth.

My paint is in good surface condition, so I did not have much of an opportunity to test NTX Tech Wax’s ability to hide surface imperfections. However, under strong florescent light (I have 16 4’ bulbs over my detailing bay), I was not able to detect any spider webbing in the clear coat. None!

How about slickness? I can safely say that both the prepared and unprepared panels are very slick. My Concours Buffing Towel goes whizzing across the hood with very little effort. In fact, fold the towel and put it in the middle of the hood and it won’t stay put.

I have not washed the Cayenne after applying NXT Tech Wax. I have a 300 mile drive coming up and will wash after the drive to test slickness and beading after washing.

Okay, let’s wrap up the initial test with a rating:

1. Packaging: I’m giving it a “GOOD”, but only because I prefer a flask shaped bottle. Odd shapes are always more difficult to handle.

2. Instructions: I really can’t rate it yet, because I don’t have the final product, so I give it a “GOOD”.

3. Ease-of-Use: I rate this product “OUTSTANDING”. It gets my highest marks for application and buff out.

4. Slickness: I rate this product “OUTSTANDING”. The final finish is very slick and silky.

5. Gloss & Finish: Again, “OUTSTANDING”. It’s the first polymer that does what I want; it makes the finish darker so you can see the depth of the shine. I can’t wait to test it on red.

6. Durability: Have not tested durability, so I’m rating it “GOOD” until I can report back.

7. MFG Claims: So far, so good, so I’m giving Meguiar’s an “EXCELLENT” on meeting all claims (subject to change if I discover a durability issue).

8. Value: Hey, if this product works this well for $15, there’s only one mark it can get, and that’s “OUTSTANDING”!
Old 01-29-2004 | 12:59 AM
Instructor

Thanks. Can't wait to try it.
Old 01-29-2004 | 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Zaino wannabee.
Old 01-29-2004 | 01:17 PM
Pro

Hopefully this product will make zaino lower prices to keep their customers; but, who knows how meguiiar's NXT will be, it might even be better than zaino's??? IMO.
Old 01-29-2004 | 01:45 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Certainly seems like an easier product to apply!
Old 01-29-2004 | 01:51 PM
never stops!

Interesting. Let's wait and we'll see. If good then we'll not have to spend $$ on Zaino.
Old 01-29-2004 | 01:58 PM
Racer

Nothing is better than ZAINO !

signed
SAL
Old 01-29-2004 | 02:15 PM
Racer

It is obvious the writer has never used Zaino - there is nothing easier to put on and off. Also - there is no side-by-side comparison as there has been in other publications. I would bet that Meguiar's has a BIG ad in this magazine.

To be fair - It is always possible that the high performance and increasing high-profile popularity of Zaino will stimulate the big boys to work harder. Maybe something WILL come along someday that will be better. However, it will NOT be a wax. Due to their inherent physical properties, waxes will always be inferior to polymers. And, of course, the Zaino boys aren't sitting still, either.
Old 01-29-2004 | 02:58 PM
Team Nighthawk Whiner

Go to http://www.meguiars.com/. You can buy these products now.
Old 01-29-2004 | 03:08 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by automophile
Maybe something WILL come along someday that will be better. However, it will NOT be a wax. Due to their inherent physical properties, waxes will always be inferior to polymers.
Apparently Meguiar's agrees.
"Meguiar's new ESP (Engineered Synthetic Polymers) technology creates a tougher, polymer bond to your paint so it can provide extreme protection."
Old 01-29-2004 | 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Okay, what is zaino? car wax? and where do I get it? I finally took my car out in the snow..and It's filthy...is it hard to apply and take off? how long does it take and is it worth it? sorry but i'm so clueless as to what zaino is....
Old 01-29-2004 | 06:36 PM
Instructor

I was waiting to try Zaino or Meguiars NXT Generation.

I ordered the NXT from Meguiars on 13JAN04 and UPS had it here the next day.

I'll be attending the Mercedes Benz Meguiars NXT Clinic on february 7th.

I'm actually going to be #31--This was suppose to be only 30 people though. I had a Benz, but sold it for the TL.

This, for me, is a reconoiter for us 2004TL-r's.

The director of such productions will want to know if there is any 04TL (only) owners, who would like to attend a clinic like this in a few months down the road.

I will start a new thread after 7th February.

We get a COMPLETE car detailg kit (chemical wise), a pizza lunch, and the Clinic part will give us hands-on Tech tips.

My Anthracite 6MT-Navi has to be parked in the back though.

I got free shipping--they are located somewhere in Orange County CA (close).
:smokin:

NathanSilver

*2004_Acura-TL_Anthracite_Ebony_6MT_Navi_Z600_T-Mobile
*2002_Blue/Silver_Schwinn_Aluminum_Strand-Cruiser_7Speed-Internal-Nexus-Hub
*1967_2_Feet(2 left feet)
Old 01-29-2004 | 07:36 PM
Team SSM

I'd drive to Irvine from NorCal for a Meguiar's TL Clinic ....
Old 01-30-2004 | 01:18 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally posted by jattilicious
Okay, what is zaino? car wax? and where do I get it? I finally took my car out in the snow..and It's filthy...is it hard to apply and take off? how long does it take and is it worth it? sorry but i'm so clueless as to what zaino is....
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I've never used Zaino....yet. I'm about to be a convert though when I pick up my TL next week. From all the pics and testimonials on all the car forum sites: BMW to Lexus to Infiniti to wherever.

I'm just amazed at the "glass-like" pics people post after Zaino'ing their car!!
Old 01-30-2004 | 01:46 PM
Instructor

I really don't know who the hell said Zaino is hard to apply and take off. Anybody that used the old wax, knows Zaino is a breeze to use. It takes a while because after the first coat it turns into a game to see how "glassy" you can get your car.
Old 01-30-2004 | 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ncbuckeye
I really don't know who the hell said Zaino is hard to apply and take off.
I think the comments were more about the steps to a great finish.

The biggest problem I see is that Sal tells it like it is, unlike most mass merchandisers who will have you believe you just wipe on product X and you've got a great shine.

Sal makes the assumption that your car will require some prep work. Unless you are waxing/polishing your car directly on the assembly line, you are gonna need to prep the car to get the smoothest, shiniest finish polish.

This includes the Dawn wash, the clay bar....

All the others either just assume you know about these steps, or don't care.

Oh and here is SSM on Zaino. :wow: Oh and it's a 99 TL if that makes any difference.

Old 01-30-2004 | 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NathanSilver

The director of such productions will want to know if there is any 04TL (only) owners, who would like to attend a clinic like this in a few months down the road.

I will start a new thread after 7th February.

We get a COMPLETE car detailg kit (chemical wise), a pizza lunch, and the Clinic part will give us hands-on Tech tips.

NathanSilver

If they are going to be in Southern Florida, I'd love to know when?
Old 01-30-2004 | 04:03 PM
BOOK EM

NICE PICS MAN!!
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:15 PM
Racer

I did the Zaino thing on my NBP TL today. The car looked great and the mirror finish was awesome. When I got done, I took it for a sping just around the block and I noticed water droplets from the inside the side mirror splashing on to the car and dust on the sides. The water droplets is not a problem, but is it suppose to collect dust? Has any one on this site had problem with dust collection? I didn't do the spray bottle - should I and does this help? Any one?
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:17 PM
Team SSM

Thumbs up

Good reading material:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally posted by copter
Good reading material:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/

Good review. Those who read the article should know that a new Zaino product is now available: ZFX. This replaces Z1 and allows one to apply the second coat in a matter of minutes instead of hours.
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:06 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by gregory28
Good review. Those who read the article should know that a new Zaino product is now available: ZFX. This replaces Z1 and allows one to apply the second coat in a matter of minutes instead of hours.
Bottom line is if I keep my car for 20 years and use a polymer that takes less time and money than Zaino (eg. Meguiars), the car will be just as beatiful and I will have saved a lot of $$$ and time in the short and long run.