3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys are scaring me away from the TL!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are scaring me away from the TL!!!

For the last 12 years I have been driving a 5sp Accord EX coupe. Hardly any problems. I test drove the TL and thought it was great and plan on ordering one after the new year.

Now, I personally would never buy a car in the first year because I know there will be a few problems. Are all of the TL complaints from first year cars or later build ones? I'm really starting to rethink this TL thing because of this board. I know most of you guys love the car but every other thread seems like a complaint.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt pass judgment on the TL until the 2005 model has been out for few months.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by allykahn
For the last 12 years I have been driving a 5sp Accord EX coupe. Hardly any problems. I test drove the TL and thought it was great and plan on ordering one after the new year.

Now, I personally would never buy a car in the first year because I know there will be a few problems. Are all of the TL complaints from first year cars or later build ones? I'm really starting to rethink this TL thing because of this board. I know most of you guys love the car but every other thread seems like a complaint.

zero complain for my TL.
wait here's one, damn this car is just too nice.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Most of ppl come here to complain... Some ppl ever said they don't like to see those "I got my new TL today...", "great car...", "how's about my car...", etc. the "praise" threads. Some said they don't like to see "complaint"...

Later build 04TL should be fine. Keep in mind, Acura will use the same plants and lines to continue to produce 05TL.

Lots of problems you hav discovered here are from the early build models.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Hey boss,

No matter which car you buy there will always be people who complain that something is wrong with it. What's "perfect" to one person is "crap" for another.

No matter which car you're looking at and you read a few opinions on it, you have to make sure you separate factual issues ("headliner falling down") from opinions ("the steering is too loose", "can't feel the road through the suspension").

-Steve
Old 08-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allykahn, I'm a 'Happy Honda Owner' also, my 92 EX is 13 years old, and still running and looking like new. However, I LOVE my TL. It is a great car. Its probably the best car i've had and I have an 02 BWM 530I to compare the TL against. My TL has all the reliability of my Accord with alot of toys. When I bought my Accord long, long, ago, people were complaining about warped rotors and broken CV joints. Now everyone that has the 90 to 93 Accords knows that you will replace those pesky CV joints. Here are some complaints I heard about som great cars i've owned..

91 Prelude 2.0 S, to much torque steer.

90 Accord - underpowered and can't handle

92 Accord - CV joints go out frequently, has trouble passing emmisions tests

94 Civic Coupe - No frills basic, even in EX trim.

96 Acura TL (2.5) - hard to get parts for

02 BMW 530I - too damn expensive to maintain (it really is )

I left out all the Ford products that left me mad and sad on the side of the road.

The TL will only get better. Its a good Idea to wait until the end of the first product ear to get one. I rolled the dice and got a good car (so far, anyway). Whenever you get your TL I know you'll love it !!
Old 08-17-2004, 12:41 PM
Mike

I’ve had my TL since March and have about 6500 miles on it. Over the years I have owned new vehicles such as vans (like any family guy), BMWs, Volvos and some Ford and General Motors products. The TL is by far the best new car I have ever purchased. I’ve had ZERO problems with my TL and the quality and performance still impress me every time I drive.

I just finished a two day, 1200 mile trip and during the last 100 miles I was thinking how great this car had been on a long haul. The size of the car along with a great suspension, good horsepower, great gas mileage, great stereo and the wonderful navigation unit made a normally miserable trip not so bad. The TL might be a high performance sports sedan but it really shines on normally long boring trips on the interstate.

Since March when it’s time to travel, my wife’s BWM stays in the garage and everyone piles into a truly great car; the Acura TL.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. Yes, you can find anything to nit pick on with any given car. This is just one of the few cars that I really enjoy other than V70R and M3 (high maint.), and after 12 years, I want to get something sweet. The TL fits the bill nicely. I'll just keep the faith.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Complaints on the TL, not from me, here are a few vehilcle which have had their glitches or not . . .

76 Datsun B210, ziezed up because numbnuts forgot to add oil (yep, me)
78 Chrysler Cordoba, a piece of dog dodod and had to wrap on the starter under the car with a wrench just to get it started.
83 Mazda 210 pick up, clutch broke while meanering an idle cruize down a dirt road chugging a bear in 3rd gear. I was going 3mph
85 Honda prelude S used no problems
85 Honda Prelude SI no problems
88 Honda Prelude SI no problems
90 GM pick up - the truck decided it didn't want to go into reverse anymore
90 1/2 Honda Accord no problems
94 Honda Accord no problems
96 Toyota Solara - annoying popping of the passenger front shock tower going over bumps but other than that at 40,000 the only repair was a burned out tail lamp . . . and the damm car told me so.
98 Honda Civic no problems, just wonderful gas mileage
2004 TL NOTTA
Old 08-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Life at 9000rpm

You're jumping the gun. It's good to be informed, it's not good to be paranoid. There are problems in every car. It's just you see it here because this is what the forums are for. I bet if you go to the Accord forums you'll see the same sort of deal. It's the same at the S2000 and CRV forums that I frequently visits. Go checkout the M3 and you'll see lots of engine failure.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

No complains from me, no problems since October except the transmission thing they fixed in an hour. People tend to forget every car can have some problems.

Check here if you want a reality check on some real problems for the manufacturer of your choice. Note no Acura listed.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ufacturers.htm
Old 08-17-2004, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
Allykahn, I'm a 'Happy Honda Owner' also, my 92 EX is 13 years old, and still running and looking like new. However, I LOVE my TL. It is a great car. Its probably the best car i've had and I have an 02 BWM 530I to compare the TL against. My TL has all the reliability of my Accord with alot of toys. When I bought my Accord long, long, ago, people were complaining about warped rotors and broken CV joints. Now everyone that has the 90 to 93 Accords knows that you will replace those pesky CV joints. Here are some complaints I heard about som great cars i've owned..

91 Prelude 2.0 S, to much torque steer.

90 Accord - underpowered and can't handle

92 Accord - CV joints go out frequently, has trouble passing emmisions tests

94 Civic Coupe - No frills basic, even in EX trim.

96 Acura TL (2.5) - hard to get parts for

02 BMW 530I - too damn expensive to maintain (it really is )

I left out all the Ford products that left me mad and sad on the side of the road.

The TL will only get better. Its a good Idea to wait until the end of the first product ear to get one. I rolled the dice and got a good car (so far, anyway). Whenever you get your TL I know you'll love it !!
I also have a 92 EX with 195,000 miles. It still looks great but the Florida sun is starting to fade the blue cloth interior. I rebuilt the motor about 30,000 miles ago because of stuck oil control rings. I did this myself for about $1,600 which includes the cost of an engine hoist, some specialty tools and parts. I don’t have any plans on selling it, ever.

My TL was purchased on 06/15 and it now has 2,600 miles. I have experienced the following problems:
- Extreme co-worker envy
- Admiring glances and praise from complete strangers every where I go
- My daily 22 mile commute is much too short while listening to the excellent sound (entertainment) system
- I never get lost anymore with the NAVI
- My doctor says my blood pressure and sugar levels are now normal because I am so content. However I might have to undergo cosmetic plastic surgery to remove a perpetual smile
- The car is perfect with no squeaks, rattles or clunks. The tires don't thump an my headliner doesn't sag
- It's real fast and intimidates drivers of other makes (Infinity owners are the main offenders)
- It also gets about 24 mpg with my driving style. This is 2 mpg better than the old 92 EX.
- And it gave my wife a and she gave me a

Yes the TL is a cross that I have absolutely no problem bearing
Old 08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Hi Ho Silver

Don't sweat it

I have been listening to everybody on here six months before I bought my 04TLAT and I talked to a lot of people who own them and I still bought my TL and I HAVE 4K on it and so far NOT ONE PROBLEM AT ALL. So you can listen to everybody who says this and that about the car. But I bet everyone on this forum is very and I mean very happy with there TL. Right guys!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Instructor

I feel much better now!!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi Ho Silver

And you should feel better - listen when you buy A car it comes with, (like every car a warranty) correct? So if something goes wrong they fix it right - right!!! So don't Fret it's just a car and your not going to keep the car to it's full loan term anyway at least I don't like everybody else you see the latest model and YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT....We are all going to have car payments for the rest of our lives just like taxes if you are half the car nut like the rest of us are you will have nice cars all your god given life and you will from time to time have a problem with it. SO DON'T FREEK OUT!!!!! Just buy the damn car and enjoy it like the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

You are experiencing a common "forum" problem. Many posts on a forum concern problems along with solutions to problems. Take a look at other forums, for example roadfly.org for BMW's you will find a lot of problems listed.

It could be worse you could be on a forum full of trolls or immature people trying to post made up stories.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:48 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel much better now!!

Greetings allykahn,

My 2C's - I purchased last Dec, VIN# is in the mid 16000 range. I current have just under 10k miles. I have yet to have my TL back to the dealership. I really believe the two significant complaints regarding the TL are: tires and minor squeaks and rattles (me included). Everything else is more isolated type issues - and of those, many wouldn't be noticed by all owners. I ended up fixing my rattles myself but never did have my dealer swap out the tires with the "new" EL-42 - but they were willing to.. I just read too many folks stating it did not make a significant difference and in some cases made it worse..

Anyway, as with many of the current TL,s, I'm sure the 05's will have near all of the rattle/squeak issues remedied. As for the tires, I haven't heard nor seen, but if Acura was smart, the 05 will come off the truck with something besides Bridgestone El-42's :-)

If I had to do it all over again, my biggest decision would be which color of TL to take home!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:24 PM
10th Gear

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a TL but the more research I do, the more it seems that Acura's repuation as a cut-rate, bargain semi-luxury brand is accurate. I'm not impressed with what appears to be low quality materials in the interior: fake wood, crappy leather, pliable metals, etc... and front wheel drive on a sports sedan is almost laughable. I really wanted to like the TL, but to me it seems like the type of "luxury" car people settle on rather than lust after.

Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Life at 9000rpm

Originally Posted by PrimalScream
I've been toying with the idea of purchasing a TL but the more research I do, the more it seems that Acura's repuation as a cut-rate, bargain semi-luxury brand is accurate. I'm not impressed with what appears to be low quality materials in the interior: fake wood, crappy leather, pliable metals, etc... and front wheel drive on a sports sedan is almost laughable. I really wanted to like the TL, but to me it seems like the type of "luxury" car people settle on rather than lust after.

Either you haven't done enough research or you're right, it's definitely not the car for you.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:34 PM
4th Gear

Dude, don't let all these trouble tickets give you the wrong impression. For every negative post, there's at least 10 of us out here who are very satisfied with their purchase and never bother to say so (no fun reading happy posts). Take a poll and see what I mean.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MrMagoo
Dude, don't let all these trouble tickets give you the wrong impression. For every negative post, there's at least 10 of us out here who are very satisfied with their purchase and never bother to say so (no fun reading happy posts). Take a poll and see what I mean.
Yea dude u come to a forum to try 2 get help on small things that are wrong, and of course there are a few. if everyone just said their TL was great and nothing else this forum WOULD SUCK!!! BUY THE TL!! u will love it!!
Old 08-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

I was the same way. I was all ready to buy a TL and then started reading this forum and got scared off. I ended up buying a TL anyways and love it. I only have 3000 miles on it. I don't have any problems with it. Every once in awhile I might hear a rattle but I swear I wouldn't even notice it if I wasn't looking for it. I am only looking for it because of this forum. As for the tires they haven't been a problem for me. I don't hydroplane but I also don't speed around in the rain either. I do speed around when it's dry and the car is alot of fun. You should buy the car if you like it. I think alot of the complaints on this forum are blown out of proportion.

Every car ever built and that will ever be built will probably have some minor issues, there isn't anything in this world that's perfect.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Allykahn, stop reading and start driving! You will not be sorry. I absolutely love my car and have no problems with it (bought in May 04).
Old 08-17-2004, 09:28 PM
1337 H4x0r

You'll find nothing but complaints on any automotive forums. I owned/own several Subaru's and it's the same thing on NASIOC.com(Subaru Impreza Forums) with people complaining about mostly the same thing ranging from the crappy OEM RE92 tires, paint quality, rattles, transmissions and so on. I'll admit I had a few expected minor problems with my Subarus but they have been great cars and I would buy another in a second.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Instructor

I am really feeling the love!

My mind is made up. TL it is.
Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
You've been driving the same freakin car for 12 years?!?!? Holy schnit. Get something, dude ... life's too short.

Mike
Old 08-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by FlashG
I also have a 92 EX with 195,000 miles. It still looks great but the Florida sun is starting to fade the blue cloth interior. I rebuilt the motor about 30,000 miles ago because of stuck oil control rings. I did this myself for about $1,600 which includes the cost of an engine hoist, some specialty tools and parts. I don’t have any plans on selling it, ever.

My TL was purchased on 06/15 and it now has 2,600 miles. I have experienced the following problems:
- Extreme co-worker envy
- Admiring glances and praise from complete strangers every where I go
- My daily 22 mile commute is much too short while listening to the excellent sound (entertainment) system
- I never get lost anymore with the NAVI
- My doctor says my blood pressure and sugar levels are now normal because I am so content. However I might have to undergo cosmetic plastic surgery to remove a perpetual smile
- The car is perfect with no squeaks, rattles or clunks. The tires don't thump an my headliner doesn't sag
- It's real fast and intimidates drivers of other makes (Infinity owners are the main offenders)
- It also gets about 24 mpg with my driving style. This is 2 mpg better than the old 92 EX.
- And it gave my wife a and she gave me a

Yes the TL is a cross that I have absolutely no problem bearing

Well said
Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by PrimalScream

OK, it is pointless to state this most of us here could have afforded more expensive vehicles but CHOSE the TL. Sorry I do not lust after any material item but if I did...the TL would be it!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Drifting

Don't buy a TL!!!

I don't want more people driving my car. I want it all for myself.

Don't buy a TL!!!

they rattle, have sagging headliners, poor leather, bad paint, bad transmissions, cheap piable materials in the interior, poor quality control...rattles...DON'T BUY A TL...they are crap!! why would you ever want one??
Old 08-19-2004, 08:53 AM
Instructor

I have none of those problems

Buy if you like, I like my car.

some people like GM Azteks and that is their opinion. I would never buy one though.

the VW Beetle is too affeminate for me, as well as the Toyota Prias, and Chrysler Jeep Liberty . . . I wouldn't buy any of those either.

my point, i think you're nitpicking a bit too much, not every TL is experiencing the same issues, fortunately. my second point, a lot of issues (rattles, torque steer etc . . . on this forum) are on vehicles that have been changed with after market equipment. anyhow, my 2c worth.

I say, BUY a TL and in Pearl Blue Matallic . . . you'll be happy
Old 08-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by JetJock
Don't buy a TL!!!

I don't want more people driving my car. I want it all for myself.

Don't buy a TL!!!

they rattle, have sagging headliners, poor leather, bad paint, bad transmissions, cheap piable materials in the interior, poor quality control...rattles...DON'T BUY A TL...they are crap!! why would you ever want one??
LOL, JetJock just doesn't want to see his car on the road so often. I would agree but it's too hard to bash this car.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
... I'm really starting to rethink this TL thing because of this board ...
Ha! You're just CHICKEN!

Seriously, I'm glad you decided on the TL allykahn ... but not as glad as you're going to be! You're going to love the car!

You'll notice that with most folks, the complaints are of a very minor and not threatening nature. Rattles, headliner drooping, leather wrinkles, tire vibrations ... annoyances to be sure, but nothing nearly as bad as I've had with other cars - and they weren't all first year designs!

My '82 Camaro had a cracked engine block in the first or second year of ownership. Didn't figure out what the problem was until a couple of years later. My '99 BMW 323 Convertible had convertible top malfunctions, convertible top malfunctions, convertible top malfunctions, convertible top malfunctions, convertible top malfunctions, convertible top malfunctions (I took it in 6 times for different failures on the top), dead fuel pump at 25,000 miles, random pieces of the interior trim falling off at random times, seatbelt failures ... and that's just a partial list. On my '89 Probe, the car's trip computer module failed at about 20,000 miles - and cost almost 1/10 of the car's original cost to replace.

My 04TL has been the best car I've owned yet - and maybe ever. I don' t think I'll enjoy any of my future car purchases nearly as much as this one has given me!
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
You've been driving the same freakin car for 12 years?!?!? Holy schnit. Get something, dude ... life's too short.

Mike
Mike, I don't know about you, but I bet I'll be driving my TL for 12 years if I can. I tend to drive my cars to the bitter end. What would I actually upgrade to?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Mike_TX
Yep, 12 years and still rolling. I would have purchased something a few years ago but twin daughters came along.

So... I will be ordering either a NBP/Ebony w/Nav, 6spd or SSM/Ebony w/Nav, 6spd. A very nice and deserving present for dad.

I saw an ABP/Camel with the A-SPEC ground kit on the showroom floor. Not a bad combo.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Advanced

My only complaint is that I don't get to drive it more often!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Instructor

More complaints!!!!!

I've had my 5AT w/navi about a month. In the last 5 years I've bought 2 Hondas (a V6 Accord Coupe, a Civic EX) a 2001 CL and the new TL. By far the 04 TL has the worst build quality of them all; and mine is a late build unit (06/04). I have brake problems, front end vibration, bumpers that don't match the body color, saggy leather and body panels that don't line up and more PLUS a dealer who bites the big one. I've had to pursue Acura to get them to send someone to look at the car and they told me I get 1 shot at seeing him. After that I wait at least another month before he comes around again.
I still think it's the best buy in its class but I won't be back in a Honda again if this thing isn't permanently fixed.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Mike_TX
Yep, 12 years and still rolling. I would have purchased something a few years ago but twin daughters came along.

So... I will be ordering either a NBP/Ebony w/Nav, 6spd or SSM/Ebony w/Nav, 6spd. A very nice and deserving present for dad.

I saw an ABP/Camel with the A-SPEC ground kit on the showroom floor. Not a bad combo.
My vote is for the NBP/Ebony..only because you are not in VA (only kidding)!
Old 08-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Racer

First TL and I LOVE IT
Old 08-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

I have some rattles (being taken care of as we speak).

I have EL42s and haven't wound up in a flaming wreck.

In the end, top to bottom this is the best car I've ever had, and is even better when you consider the price. An unbelievable bang for the buck, and amenities that make the competition look sad in many instances. (Although I wish we had the Audi wood and leather...they absolutely rule in my book!)

Anywho, get the car and be a damn happy man. I know I am, rattles and all....
Old 08-23-2004, 04:06 PM
2004 TL,Redondo Red,Navi

Picked up our Redondo Red with camel TL last month and have over 1500 miles on it already. The car is a real winner. I agree with one of the comments above -- constantly getting stares from people on the street and in other cars. The car feels really "aggressive" when you are driving it and I would recommend it without hesitation.