3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Don't use your high beams on me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand your point of view but if they are having visual problems...they SHOULD NOT be driving.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos9827
I understand your point of view but if they are having visual problems...they SHOULD NOT be driving.

So make the situation worse by whacking them as hard as you can with your hi-beams; that will teach them not to drive at night where a TL might be around.

Real grownup solution.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
So make the situation worse by whacking them as hard as you can with your hi-beams; that will teach them not to drive at night where a TL might be around.

Real grownup solution.

It's not a matter of being grownup or not. If I recall in my original posting (since I originated this thread) I stated "Just to clarify, I do not have road rage, but don't do something to someone you don't want done back to you." This is exactly how I feel. Its pretty basic....Don't high beam others if you don't want to get high beamed back. As far as whether someone may have a vision impairment, number one, there's no way any other driver would know to that, number two, that does not give them the right to blind me with their high beams, number three, all I am doing is showing them "Hey my high beams are not on, these are my high beams, can you turn yours off now...thanks." And as I stated before anyone with vision problems shouldn't really be driving.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
2011 BMW 335i

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Real grownup solution.
It's not a matter of being grownup or not. If I recall in my original posting (since I originated this thread) I stated "Just to clarify, I do not have road rage, but don't do something to someone you don't want done back to you." This is exactly how I feel. Its pretty basic....Don't high beam others if you don't want to get high beamed back. As far as whether someone may have a vision impairment, number one, there's no way any other driver would know that, number two, that does not give them the right to blind me with their high beams, number three, all I am doing is showing them "Hey my high beams are not on, these are my high beams, can you turn yours off now...thanks." And as I stated before anyone with vision problems really shouldn't be driving.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scv76_
How many of you people who get flashed have larger wheels than the stock 17" wheels?
Maybe that little change in diameter puts the lights too high.
I have the stock 17" wheels on my 2004. I have 2008 loaner with stock 17" (I am 99.9% sure they are 17") and 2 out of 3 nights I drove it I got flashed. Once in the apartment parking lot by someone who was parked and doesn't even live here. And the other time on a two lane road. Both times I flashed them back.

So even having the foglights lower down on the grill makes no difference. People around these parts just feel the need to let you know your lights are bright. I have had TL's drive at me on the other side of the road and didn't feel the need to flash my beams at them nor did they feel the need to high beam me.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 AM
TL-S BeASt

Carlos and Bear, you guys both make good points, but I think I lean toward Carlos' statement a little more, because I get high beamed all the time and I always show them my high beam, but I dont leave the beams on, I just flash to show them. The TL lights are bright but arent blinding in my opinion, I think people that mod their car with bright HIDs are the culprits....
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
After replacing my fogs with yellow bulbs, the only time I get flashed is if I'm going up a slight incline (such as in a dip), causing the lights to aim a little up. Short of auto-leveling lights, nothing you can really do...

But even then, why take out anger on HIDs about that, when regular halogens are just as blinding in the same situation. Personally, I get blinded most often by idiots that think driving lights can be used like fog lights.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by V-Sic
I always show them my high beam, but I dont leave the beams on, I just flash to show them.
Which is what most reasonable people do.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by scv76_
How many of you people who get flashed have larger wheels than the stock 17" wheels?
Maybe that little change in diameter puts the lights too high.

With the stock wheels, when I hit imperfections in the road at night time, you can see the effect it has on the light pattern....at least a 1/4 mile ahead....it's pretty drastic

Can't help but think that if a wheel raised the car by even a 1/2", the light pattern could be blinding

When you go to larger diameter wheels (called plus sizing) the proper way to do it is to come down in tire profile. This keeps the total diameter of the tire and wheel with a negligible difference. It also keeps your speedometer, handling characteristics and VSA/ABS systems in check. The car is in actuality not that much higher than before but it can look that way because of increased fender gap. (That's why we like to lower our cars....and if you have 20s with 35 series tires you HAVE to lower your car without lookin like your jacked like a truck). So wheel plus sizing is not going to do much in terms of ride height.

Even lowering your car 2" dosen't make a huge difference in headlight aiming. The car is lower but level. The car would have to be raised 4" to blind people.....but who raises their Acura like a Bronco??

What makes a greater difference is if your car was squatting as in acceleration or being heavily loaded in the trunk. The headlights would be aiming in a more diagonal direction. Or if the car was diving or heavily loaded in front of the front tires (highly unlikely situation)
Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Racer

I usually get it if I'm cresting a hill or I have 2 passengers in the back seat. Our cars really need an auto-leveling feature so keep from blinding people over bumps such as RR tracks and hills.

I also get it if my fogs are on occasionally.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CometVR4
I usually get it if I'm cresting a hill or I have 2 passengers in the back seat. Our cars really need an auto-leveling feature so keep from blinding people over bumps such as RR tracks and hills.

I also get it if my fogs are on occasionally.
We finally figured out that's what's been happening to us. Only when we have two passengers in the back seat (~400 more lbs.). Geez, you wouldn't think it would make that much difference.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
To address the original question, I seldom, if ever, get high-beamed in the DC area. I think the HID headlights are common enough that people are used to them, even if a lot of people still don't like them.

When I drive in more rural areas, I get it more often, though certainly not all the time. I just high-beam them right back. I'm always wondering when some redneck in a pickup will cut a U-turn and chase after me in a rage.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Student

Yea flashing high beam will usually shut em up.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM
FEEL MY FLOW

It happens to me all the time too.. when I first got my TypeS I was puzzled but eventually I figured it out. It probably happens to me more often because I practically live in my car and travel for a living. Usually a quick flash of your beams is enough to make the point without causing any undue risk.
I actually had a guy slam on his brakes.. let me pass him.. and then he followed me with his high beams as if he was making some sort of point. After being on the road for 8 hours myself, this wasnt exactly what I needed for the next 10 miles. Fortunately a cop saw what he was doing and pulled him over. Karma can sure be a bitch.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The first time I drove my 08 TL-S home from the dealership I got flashed. I just shrugged it off. Same thing used to happen with my TSX once in a while.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Pro

Usually I get flashed at least twice a week. The ones who flash me are the kind of people who drive real old cars..and possibly don't know the modern cars today.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 AM
2008 NBP TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by V-Sic
Carlos and Bear, you guys both make good points, but I think I lean toward Carlos' statement a little more, because I get high beamed all the time and I always show them my high beam, but I dont leave the beams on, I just flash to show them. The TL lights are bright but arent blinding in my opinion, I think people that mod their car with bright HIDs are the culprits....
^^ I agree, just show them your high beams for a second. No need to blind em. I have found that you can't "teach" people lessons by "getting them back". It just makes them more angry, and you never know what people are carrying in their cars.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
maybe they're doing that to warn you there are cops coming up your way soon...
like a friendly notice....

i high beam others to on coming traffic when i see cops on the other side....
Old 07-01-2008, 05:19 AM
Advanced

I don't mind if someone flashes me but sometimes they don't just flash, they just turn their brights on and leave them on as to try to make some odd statement. This does not happen often though. I did have someone on the highway recently purposely slow down and get behind me and turned their brights on and began to tail me nonstop for 10min. Some people are nuts and I just try to let them have their little moment without interferring to make them more pissed. I have had my headlights checked by Acura and the alignment is fine, I geuss some people just really hate xenon. I have this issue in my BMW as well from time to time.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos9827
Has the following ever happened to anyone? This has been happening a lot to me lately. Oncoming traffic turning their high beams on as they are coming towards me as if to let me know my high beams are on. Its not my fault that my LOW BEAMS look like High beams are on people!!! So....what have I done? I have showed them what my high beams look like..haha. Thats makes them go back to their low beams real quick.

The other day a truck got right behind me and turned his high beams on for no reason. He left them on for minutes! And even with my auto dimming mirror it was still gurting my eyes! I slowed down allowed them to pass, got right behind them and did the same thing. I bet you they will never high beam another car again! Thank you Acura TL for your bi-xenon headlights!

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Just to clarify, I do not have road rage, but don't do something to someone you don't want done back to you.
So you're temporarily blinding drivers by turning YOUR hi-beams on? Not a smart idea dude.

You may need to get your headlights adjusted.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I get x-rayed by SUV with HIDs every single day, even my tints don't help. It's just part of life.

I don't get involved with jumping behind them and returning the favor, too many crazy dudes with guns in NYC... if they can kill you for a quarter... I'll let it pass

Besides, I aimed my headlights to the ground...always did in all of my cars, I shine below trunk of car in front of me. 6000K do a good job at it.