Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Oil Added At Service...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Wrong Oil Added At Service...

So my MID says I need a 2B service, and I call Acura who told me it would be $260 for an oil change, tire rotation, air filter and cabin filter...

So I change the filters myself for ~$40 and head on over to Valvoline Oil Change.... get the basic $35 oil change and see the guy reach for what I think is the wrong oil gun....

Me: "Is that 5W20 you are putting in?"
Lackie: "Uhhhh... not sure... Oh, it says 10W30 on the paper....."
Me: "It says 5W20 on the oil cap. Your paper is wrong."
Manager " Sorry about that, we will drain it and refill it..."

Moral of the story - watch these clowns carefully.... Still satisfied that I didn't have to give my money to the ass clowns at Acura....
Old 05-17-2007, 02:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
just do your own oil change for a peace of mind.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
did you rotate the tires yourself or are you taking it to an independant shop to get them rotated?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Damn, $260.00!

I'm not bothering with Acura service except for getting the inspection done, which is free for as long as I own the car.

I wouldn't trust any of those oil change places either. I've only heard bad things from them. Stripped out drain plugs, cross threaded drain plugs, plugs put on with impact guns, etc.

DIY and you know it's done right.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 130 Posts
I NEVER go to those kids on crack to have my oil changed. I personally know people who have had all kinds of problems with those quickies! One friend was going on vacation with his blazer. Went in for oil change and diff gear oil change. SHORT STORY- On the highway he skidded to a stop. What, I have to put that nut back into the rear end?

I ALWAYS go to dealer where I bought the car. BUT I also sneak around and watch.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Humans are the same everywhere, and the guy in the shop just does what the paper tells him to.
The Service Writer is the first one to keep your eye on- and READ the paper before you sign to authorize- its your job to make sure eveyone who touches your car is doing it right.

Want a real shock- get out the torque wrench and check your wheel lugs after tire rotation
Any of them at 80 ft lbs ? - How many are over 80 and every one different!
Thats really bad on rotors and hubs and more
While you are at it- what did they set the tire pressure at?
I have seen a place put 45 lbs in a tire and the goober kid says "thats what is says on the tire! And its easier for the customer to remove air than to have to add some."
What about putting in the correct amount to start with - like the 34 the customer asked for? DE DE DEEEE
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbaita1
So my MID says I need a 2B service, and I call Acura who told me it would be $260 for an oil change, tire rotation, air filter and cabin filter...

So I change the filters myself for ~$40 and head on over to Valvoline Oil Change.... get the basic $35 oil change and see the guy reach for what I think is the wrong oil gun....

Moral of the story - watch these clowns carefully.... Still satisfied that I didn't have to give my money to the ass clowns at Acura....
hahahaha.... ass clowns
Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Want a real shock- get out the torque wrench and check your wheel lugs after tire rotation
Any of them at 80 ft lbs ? - How many are over 80 and every one different!
Thats really bad on rotors and hubs and more
That'll get you back for a full brake job plus whatever else goes bad....intentional or just incompetent???
Old 05-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I NEVER go to those kids on crack to have my oil changed. I personally know people who have had all kinds of problems with those quickies! One friend was going on vacation with his blazer. Went in for oil change and diff gear oil change. SHORT STORY- On the highway he skidded to a stop. What, I have to put that nut back into the rear end?

I ALWAYS go to dealer where I bought the car. BUT I also sneak around and watch.

Hahaha...I do that too! I went to firestone to get new tires for my sister's car, and I started to walk out the waiting area into the shop area, staying outdoors out of the garage. Dude comes to me and says

Dude: You cant be here
Me: Uhh..yea i can, my car buddy, and why may I ask are you under my hood
Dude: You want an oil change right !!!!(all snipy and shit)
ME: Hahahahahah! NO! Tires dude! I bought tires! LOL!
Dude: Uh, thats a courtesy check we do. We check fluids and see if you need any.
Me: Please, just shut the hood and perform the service I bought (polite but firm)

Fluids my ass....And i was waiting in the outdoors, a good 20 feet away from their garage.. to hell with their insurance...many other pedestrians, potential customers, etc were out there around me! Ha! But they did get the last laff...overtorqued the wheel lugs. Went to sears to have them loosen back cuz firestone denied it....oh well..bastards! LOL!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly why I do my own oil changes.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Less and less vehicles are using 10W30 these days, with high-performance engines and all... yet the retards at the auto place are just SOOO used to using that oil, they don't think or care for that matter...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by urbaita1

Acura did that to you?? man oh man....they should know better!! don't they read? it's on the cap!!!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Advanced

Tire Centers that don't properly torque lugs

Overtorqued wheel lugs, Welcome to the world of warped rotors.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee which is notorious for warped rotors. It seems every tire shop wants to slam your lugs on with a high impact air wrench. It saves them 49.3 seconds and a length of pipe. As opposed to properly torquing the lugs to the correct spec.

For this reason I now get my tires mounted, balanced and rotated at a discount tire chain called America's Tire. They hand torque your lugs to the correct spec using a torque wrench. They have a computer database with specs by model. I just buy their lifetime balance and rotation deal and every 4000-5000 I roll in and get rotated and balanced. They've been great.

Originally Posted by ankur914
Hahaha...I do that too! I went to firestone to get new tires for my sister's car, and I started to walk out the waiting area into the shop area, staying outdoors out of the garage. Dude comes to me and says

Dude: You cant be here
Me: Uhh..yea i can, my car buddy, and why may I ask are you under my hood
Dude: You want an oil change right !!!!(all snipy and shit)
ME: Hahahahahah! NO! Tires dude! I bought tires! LOL!
Dude: Uh, thats a courtesy check we do. We check fluids and see if you need any.
Me: Please, just shut the hood and perform the service I bought (polite but firm)

Fluids my ass....And i was waiting in the outdoors, a good 20 feet away from their garage.. to hell with their insurance...many other pedestrians, potential customers, etc were out there around me! Ha! But they did get the last laff...overtorqued the wheel lugs. Went to sears to have them loosen back cuz firestone denied it....oh well..bastards! LOL!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcc335
For this reason I now get my tires mounted, balanced and rotated at a discount tire chain called America's Tire. They hand torque your lugs to the correct spec using a torque wrench. They have a computer database with specs by model. I just buy their lifetime balance and rotation deal and every 4000-5000 I roll in and get rotated and balanced. They've been great.
I just had new tires installed on our TL at America's Tire Company. They even printed on my invoice the torque setting they used on the torque wrench when tightening the lugs.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Bcc335
Overtorqued wheel lugs, Welcome to the world of warped rotors.
I went to a place called "Les Schwab" before. I carry a torque wrench in my trunk... After getting the tires installed, I checked the lugs in the parking lot before I go home. (I actually remove the lug, and reinstall/torque them to make sure they aren't cross-threaded).

Anyways, the last time, 2 of my studs snapped off when I was removing the lugs because the lugs were cross threaded. I have not gone back to Les Schwabs since...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
I went to a place called "Les Schwab" before. I carry a torque wrench in my trunk... After getting the tires installed, I checked the lugs in the parking lot before I go home. (I actually remove the lug, and reinstall/torque them to make sure they aren't cross-threaded).

Anyways, the last time, 2 of my studs snapped off when I was removing the lugs because the lugs were cross threaded. I have not gone back to Les Schwabs since...

lol thats all they have here. BTW i also have a similer story. i went to pepboys in NYC and the bastards put in 10w40 in my 2000TL witch has 156k miles. i didnt know about it untill my car started giving me problems. it would shut off for no reason, i was gettin misfire in the clinders, car would vibrate really bad and the CEL was on and wouldn't go off. finally i was just sittin the car cleaning after like 4 days and saw the invoice and it said that they put 10w40.. so i went back and they drained the oil and refilled it with 5w20 and never had a single problem with the car since
Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I get mine done at the dealer now. bring the oil and filter and just have them change it for $20 bucks. Last time, they put their own dyno oil in instead of my synth, so basically I got an oil change for $20. Was a little upset they didnt use my synthetic oil...
Old 05-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by lights
Acura did that to you?? man oh man....they should know better!! don't they read? it's on the cap!!!
no bro- read the sentence above the one you quoted- he went to the neighborhood valvoline oil change.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ggesq
did you rotate the tires yourself or are you taking it to an independant shop to get them rotated?

No, I rotated them myself... And as for changing my own oil, the older I get, the less I want to do it... But, you are correct - if you want it done right.....