Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow...These Brembos..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...These Brembos..

So I just had an amazing experience in my TL-S this morning on the drive to work.

I was cruising down the 60 E Freeway at 65-70 mph and I got distracted by this hot girl in a Civic passing by in the right lane. I took my eyes off the road for approx 3-5 seconds and when I look back I see the cars in front of me practically stopped, maybe going 10 mph. I have about 50 meters of space before colliding with the car in front of me.

Now my last car was a 95 Honda Accord LX which I rear-ended in a situation exactly like this. Don't get me wrong, the Accord was a reliable and respectable little sedan, but it's brakes are not exactly performance oriented and it took a good amount of time to put that car to a complete stop.

As you can imagine I totally thought I was going to rear end the car in front of me. I had some space on the left shoulder and I was preparing to swerve to the left to avoid the car in front. I'm thinking this in the split second that I smash on my brakes hard. As I'm preparing to swerve into the shoulder I notice that my speed has already dramatically reduced and still had breathing room of another 10 meters or so! I was so surprised by the performance of these stock brembos. Braking from 65 to 10 mph in literally a split second. No ABS, no tire squeal, just smooth powerful braking. The car and steering wheel didn't vibrate or anything. I was really surprised that ABS didn't come on, even more surprised that the car didn't swerve or skid.

I'm sure lot's of you guys know exactly what I'm talking about, and I appreciate you reading my little rant. I'm just so damn impressed! Keep in mind I got my car a lil over 3 months ago and this is the first time that I've had to make a full on Emergency stop.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:34 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
Nice...Brembos FTW, glad I upgraded.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the brembos have saved my life a couple of times too lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Simply love my Brembo's. Glad they worked as expected for you. Another happy ending, thanks to Brembo's.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Nice save! I love my Brembo's
Old 03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Scuba_Steve

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta love brembos!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Nismo TL yo!

I havent really gotten a chance to fully experience my brembos....hope I never have to.

Anyways this makes me think of something:

are 6mt/tl-s rear brakes different from the base brakes?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
I havent really gotten a chance to fully experience my brembos....hope I never have to.

Anyways this makes me think of something:

are 6mt/tl-s rear brakes different from the base brakes?
Nope, same.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

i totally agree the brembos are life savers. i was on the parkway doing about 80mph in the middle lane(i know i should have been in the left lane) and i was passing an on ramp and right after that an off ramp a dodge pick up in the right lane was slowing down and signaling to exit the parkway and next thing i know he's jumping into my lane to avoid someone entering at a slow speed. all i hear is my girl saying "watch out!!". the first thing you think is i'm rear ending this guy and like you said it was the smoothest and fastest deceleration i've ever felt all i could say was wow and a big sigh of relief that my car isn't wedged under a pick-up truck my girl on the other hand was saying you almost killed us like it was my fault that i got cut off.

and i too am a member of the BREMBOS saved my life club.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Nope, same.

So why do people say that by replacing the stock rear calipers will upset the braking bias of front vs. back? Theres obviously a heavy front bias for brembo models vs. base models since they both have the same rear brakes.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MistahSleepy
Now my last car was a 95 Honda Accord LX which I rear-ended in a situation exactly like this. Don't get me wrong, the Accord was a reliable and respectable little sedan, but it's brakes are not exactly performance oriented and it took a good amount of time to put that car to a complete stop.
As I was looking at all the car's rotors at an intersection last night, the Accord rotors were one of the smaller ones on the road.

What are 3G's numbers on braking from 60-0?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Instructor

NM... it's 60-0 in 117 ft.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Now my last car was a 95 Honda Accord LX which I rear-ended in a situation exactly like this.
I have a 96 Honda Accord LX without ABS and trust me, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by evocative
As I was looking at all the car's rotors at an intersection last night, the Accord rotors were one of the smaller ones on the road.
They work fine in normal everyday stuff but if you really need to stop quickly from a certain speed like the guy above did, you better plan on making some additional evasive maneuvers to keep from killing yourself.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
everyone should read their owner book- especially the sections on ABS, traction control, etc. and how it all talks to each other
The newer the year, the more control over the car the computer has~

If the car does anything but stop straight and steady- you have a problem somewhere

ABS will shudder the brake pedal under your full foot effort in low, unequal traction conditions
The ABS only activates if a tire is a different speed than the others- then a wheel is thought to have less or more traction and the caliper is pulsed rapidly on and off to try and get grip equal

The original design intent of ABS was for an untrained driver in an emergency to `Stomp and Steer` around the incident instead of plowing into it with the brakes locked

You can go full buried foot on the brake pedal and turn the wheel to get into the next lane- shoulder- whatever is your escape route, and it will modulate the brakes as needed while you have steady pressure
Newer cars have computer override throttle control in there too- with the yaw sensors feeding it info to decide if you are about to crash and it steps in to help

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 03-27-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, gotta love the brembos. I've had so many close encounters, some my fault and others not my fault, but the brakes have saved me a bunch of times.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
No, that ↓ is not me...

Talking

I was really surprised that ABS didn't come on, even more surprised that the car didn't swerve or skid.

I'm sure lot's of you guys know exactly what I'm talking about, and I appreciate you reading my little rant. I'm just so damn impressed! Keep in mind I got my car a lil over 3 months ago and this is the first time that I've had to make a full on Emergency stop.
I know exactly what you mean and my brembos have saved me as well.

To my surprise, no skids here either except for the ones in my shorts!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Yep, just the way the car brakes under emergency situations is so smooth and confident.

I swear I was shitting bricks before I hit the brakes and I kind of felt like my car yawned and rolled her eyes at me after I realized I still had a 10 meter cushion.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

i need to get me brembos.... my car dont stop for shit.. i remember when i had a type s loner the brakes were good.. next up grade brembos
Old 03-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
agreed!! the brembo's have saved me once like that too. i took my eyes off for a sec. and next thing you know i'm looking at a red light(with camera at intersection) and i thought to my self(oh sh*t i'm gonna get a ticket) and so i stomped on it and it came to a halt like ive never felt before. i was also driving on a bit of snow/ice. these things were definitely worth my money/work.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
So why do people say that by replacing the stock rear calipers will upset the braking bias of front vs. back? Theres obviously a heavy front bias for brembo models vs. base models since they both have the same rear brakes.
Saying if you upgrade the rears to make them more effective it'll screw up the front-bias. Replacing the rears with that which is designed for our cars won't do anything but if you get heftier brakes you could upset the car's bias.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:34 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Brembos FTMFW!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
The braking distance is actually about the same for all TL's Brembo or not during a single panic stop. I've seen reports of Brembo 60-0 129 ft, and TL 123 ft depending on the article/magazine.
Where the multi-piston Brembos shine is under constant hard braking as the pads stay flat because of the 4 pistons.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I've had a close encounter too.

Can't give all the credit to the brembo's, the ABS sure did it's thing and kicked in too, stopped on a freak'n dime in a second, out of the corner of my eye. It was at a slower speed about 25 mph, but just came out of nowhere.

It was one of those check my blind spot, and at the same time some truck slamming the brakes into the person in front of them. I was behind the truck, good thing I don't tailgate.

The brembos are major FTW though!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
05 TL 6mt

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question:

Does the '05 6MT TL's have brembo front brakes even though they are black with Acura letters?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Yes, that is the Brembo fronts.

All 3G's, Type S and 6MT's, have the painted black, with white Acura lettering, Brembo front calipers.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by TLUWHAT

Does the '05 6MT TL's have brembo front brakes?
Yes
Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Racer

I got Brembo's too, and they came attached to an 08 TL Type S
Old 03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Intermediate

Brembos are sweet but they do wear kinda fast!! i needed front brakes after 28000miles
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Instructor

there is a reason why honda put it on the S, but i need to replace new pads now
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Not just a smell

Yep, my brakes worked great today on the drive home. The left lane was busy and going ~70 mph when someone up ahead went to a dead stop. Saw and smelled clouds of tire smoke from several cars, with some going onto the shoulder and wiggling over the debris/gravel.

I braked nicely to a stop but I checked my rearview mirror to make sure the guy behind me was stopping okay... I rolled another 20 ft to give him some space.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:36 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just slammed on my brakes going 115 down to 30 and ABS kicked in like a BITCH. no there wasnt a car infront of me lol, it was a turn

but it slowed to 30 in a second
Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts
wish i had brembos!!! just MIGHT get me a Manual just to get brembos!! and the 6speed of coarse.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
XD Brembos FTW

I encountered something like that.. no so lucky though.. but at the same time very lucky.

i was speeding towards a fork on the freeway... there seemed to be traffic ahead so i decided to change and drive on the other highway on the right... so i then change lanes ,looked once it was clear, started speeding up to merge lanes.. looked again and a car was speeding up... so i had no choice but to swerve into the median highway divider thing, and when i looked back in front, there was some idiot who just moved in and parked there waiting to change lanes too, he obviously knew i was there b/c he wasn't there before and came up from behind me... so i was now at 45-50 mph trying to merge.. but had to hit the brembos hard!

45 mph, about 25 meeters away... and 1 second away from t boning him. well he saw me braking and decided to speed up... i knew i was ganna hit him. and... well i did =( .. right on the corner of his rear bumper.. but he was already gone...

i then pulled into the gas station... check my front bumper.. and there were those white marks you get from scraping.. i rubed it off... it was just dirt! cleaned the area.. and man ohh man... i sure did hit him.. but only enough to scrape off a thin layer of what i believe was the clear coat, no dents, just something a lil buffing will fix =D
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
i dont have brembos, but i upgraded my brakes last week and there is no better high than the "good brake feeling"
Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Instructor

on I-95 down here in miami same exact thing happened to me only i was looking at a white lambo gallardo with white rims that went by me and i look up and same thing happened only i was going like 80. I was really surprised on how fast it stopped.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Here's my opinion on the brembo's and I'm going to get hurt for this but here it is:

The brembos are NO better than the regular brakes (04-06 5AT or 07-08 base) than the Brembo equipped cars during regular driving. In fact they are worse since the squeek, eat though rotors and go through pads like there is no tomorrow.

BUT, the brembo's are great when panic stoping, they clamp well and maintain it very well, my 5AT eqipped one (stock system) would have quite a bit of trouble stopping from 80 to 10 esp when it got near around the 30 MPH mark. The brembo's though keep on going.

HOWEVER
if you have the 5AT and want better brakes without spending loads of money, try a brake pad and rotor upgrade. I have a new combo (in my sig) and they stop very well. The pads dust a bit more (less than brembo's and a lot less than german cars) but they stop on a dime. Are they better than the brembos, in my opinion yes. Are they as good as a BBK, probably not.

to the OP, driving is to get you from point A to B in a comfortable fashion, or to relax and enjoy the road. It's not to scout out a new GF. Pay attention to the road next time... just my
Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

BREmbo are lifesavers

So I just had an amazing experience in my TL-S this morning on the drive to work.

I was cruising down the 60 E Freeway at 65-70 mph and I got distracted by this hot girl in a Civic passing by in the right lane. I took my eyes off the road for approx 3-5 seconds and when I look back I see the cars in front of me practically stopped, maybe going 10 mph. I have about 50 meters of space before colliding with the car in front of me.

As you can imagine I totally thought I was going to rear end the car in front of me. I had some space on the left shoulder and I was preparing to swerve to the left to avoid the car in front. I'm thinking this in the split second that I smash on my brakes hard. As I'm preparing to swerve into the shoulder I notice that my speed has already dramatically reduced and still had breathing room of another 10 meters or so! I was so surprised by the performance of these stock brembos. Braking from 65 to 10 mph in literally a split second. No ABS, no tire squeal, just smooth powerful braking. The car and steering wheel didn't vibrate or anything. I was really surprised that ABS didn't come on, even more surprised that the car didn't swerve or skid.

brembos have saved my life so many times. I know now u gotta pay real attention to the road or youll accidently rear someone. i almost hit someone this weekend but those breaks saved me on the dot. there was also one time when i took my car to get a drop and intake. The shop was only a block away. I was stopped and i started driving out of nowhere and noticed the car in front of me was stopped so i floored it than stopped instantly. You cant even take your eyes off the road or you mite slip just for one sec. BREMBOS are GREAT
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
The braking distance is actually about the same for all TL's Brembo or not during a single panic stop. I've seen reports of Brembo 60-0 129 ft, and TL 123 ft depending on the article/magazine.
Where the multi-piston Brembos shine is under constant hard braking as the pads stay flat because of the 4 pistons.
True.

To all of you saying the Brembos saved your life in a 60-0mph stop, the stock base brakes will stop you just as fast. It's a matter of tire traction, not brake power.

Bring the speeds up well past 100mph and you might see a difference. Track the car where you will get into brake fade with the base brakes and you will really see a difference. But to say the Brembos stop quicker at normal speeds is a lie.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Here's my opinion on the brembo's and I'm going to get hurt for this but here it is:

The brembos are NO better than the regular brakes (04-06 5AT or 07-08 base) than the Brembo equipped cars during regular driving.
I completely disagree. Ive driven both, I have an 05 manual with Brembos. I have ceramic brakes on it. I can make you eat dashboard with this car.

Ive driven autos and Ive noticed a big difference.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
I completely disagree. Ive driven both, I have an 05 manual with Brembos. I have ceramic brakes on it. I can make you eat dashboard with this car.

Ive driven autos and Ive noticed a big difference.
That's a matter of the traction of the tire to the road. Brembo brakes don't give the tires better traction. In a single stop, the base brakes will stop you just as fast.

Quick Reply: Wow...These Brembos..