Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow...These Brembos..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
In a single stop? ok that I will agree with.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So in an emergency stop, the stock TL brakes will perform the same as the Brembos on MT TL and TL-S? (1 time 60-0 stop)

That'd be pretty lame if it was true. Especially since the brembo oem pads wear out on average of 20k. While the stock TL pads wear out on average of 35-40k I believe?

Is there any sort of noticeable advantage in having the stock oem brembos over the normal brakes?

I'd feel kinda ripped off if this were true, but then again, the Brembos look a lot better with the 4 piston calipers.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I dont think the point they're trying to make is that stock is better then Brembo.

I hate cars seems to know what hes talking about or it at least makes sense to me.

I agree with a one time slam on the brakes will have about the same effect. But when it comes down to being on the brakes alot through the twisties I would go with Brembos anyday.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
my gf used to slip out of the seat belt riding shot gun when I used the brembos
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
I dont think the point they're trying to make is that stock is better then Brembo.

I hate cars seems to know what hes talking about or it at least makes sense to me.

I agree with a one time slam on the brakes will have about the same effect. But when it comes down to being on the brakes alot through the twisties I would go with Brembos anyday.
Brembos are much better than base. But for a one stop panic stop there won't be a bit of difference.

In fact, my TL outstopped my friend's IS350 with 13.5" brakes very badly.

After several hard high speed stops, the base brakes are going to be faded and smoking while the Brembos will keep stopping like it's the first stop. That's the point, to reject heat and keep stopping like the first stop.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Registered Offender

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wickie2000
Brembos are sweet but they do wear kinda fast!! i needed front brakes after 28000miles
28k miles for one set of fronts is good. I have 53k on my 04 6MT and have replaced the front pads 4 times and rotors twice. Worn to minimum every change.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
8th Gear

I hate cars

That's a matter of the traction of the tire to the road. Brembo brakes don't give the tires better traction. In a single stop, the base brakes will stop you just as fast.
In all respect I hate cars,actually the Brembo's would stop the car a lot faster and in a shorter amount of distance. Lets say that we have two cars and they have the same exact tires but one has brembos and the other has stock calipers,rotors, and brake pads. If you were to put them side by side and have them speed up to 60 mph and stop as fast as they can, the car with the Brembos would win. The reason is the the larger surface area on the rotors, brake pads, and the calipers as well as the softer material on the brembo break pads which also causes more friction. More surface area equals more stopping power! So yes, the Brembos have excellant stopping power against stock brakes. Brembos are the shiznit, yeya..
Old 03-31-2009, 04:28 PM
'08 TL w/Navi

Is it possible?

Originally Posted by AnthraciteAspec
Nice...Brembos FTW, glad I upgraded.
I have '08 TL w/navigation... I was wondering if I can too upgrade to Brembos?? Do you / anybody know?

And at that point, you guys mind posting co$t for this upgrade? How much did u all pay?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by romaflight
In all respect I hate cars,actually the Brembo's would stop the car a lot faster and in a shorter amount of distance. Lets say that we have two cars and they have the same exact tires but one has brembos and the other has stock calipers,rotors, and brake pads. If you were to put them side by side and have them speed up to 60 mph and stop as fast as they can, the car with the Brembos would win. The reason is the the larger surface area on the rotors, brake pads, and the calipers as well as the softer material on the brembo break pads which also causes more friction. More surface area equals more stopping power! So yes, the Brembos have excellant stopping power against stock brakes. Brembos are the shiznit, yeya..

Not so because both the Brembos and base brakes have enough power to lock the tires. It comes down to the traction of the tire to the road. Once you lock the tires, what's the advantage of having better brakes? It's not like you can lock the tires harder with the Brembos lol.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
How do you lock the tires with the ABS on?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
How do you lock the tires with the ABS on?
LOL. You of all people know what I mean. Both brake setups have the power to evoke ABS, how's that?

The Brembos will have better feel and modulation up to the point of ABS but unfortunately I think the ABS takes some of the advantages of the Brembos away (modulation at the limit) in a single stop.

Take the ABS out of the equation and I think an experienced driver could stop shorter with the Brembos in a single stop due to the better modulation.

Don't get me wrong, I wish I had the Brembos.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

I meant to put that in red
Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

The single stop test is not in my real world~ repeated slow downs are what I do.
(the wife is in charge of OMG traffic is stopped! -single use 80-20 testing)

Too bad gen3 can't direct bolt-up the dual piston calipers off a Legend-- that gen2 can.
I know the hose would be slightly different but could be made at a hose shop- Josh/Excelerate knows what else if anyone wants to test fit a set,

Makes a huge differance over the stock single piston caliper- essentially the same caliper is used on gen3 a/t cars as gen2--not as good as brembos, but better than stock for the same $75 as regular TL calipers
Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Instructor

I love the brembos, and while some people say the 1 emergency stop will be the same, that may be true in braking terms, but we also can drop it in to 3rd and let the engine brake cut the stopping distance down even more!

I also can defiantly feel the difference at 100, slam the brakes and you will feel the rear lift up and almost want to fish tail.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nova_GTS
I love the brembos, and while some people say the 1 emergency stop will be the same, that may be true in braking terms, but we also can drop it in to 3rd and let the engine brake cut the stopping distance down even more!

I also can defiantly feel the difference at 100, slam the brakes and you will feel the rear lift up and almost want to fish tail.
All downshifting does is destroy the braking balance. You still have the same traction limit anyway, not matter how you choose to slow down.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

i made a HARD 100-0 stop in a 94 camry without abs...that was intense

took the next exit and could smell burning, brake shop showed me that i cracked the pads

but it stopped!

i guess the brembo setup would assist in avoiding this sort of situation?

downshifting seems like something i'd only use on a long steep hill...otherwise seems like a waste of transmission life
Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
I think I am the first to swap the regular brake to OEM Brembo brake..... the differences are nite and day...... with bigger rotor, more pistons, bigger pad...... what do u expect Brembo can stop on a dime literally My RL got even bigger Brembo brakes (the rear brake is about the same size as the regular front TL brake.... the front Brembo caliper on RL is bigger than TL Brembo caliper)..... I'm thinking one day I'm gonna find me a set of RL Brembo brakes (front and back) and see if our cars can take it (of course the offset will change, etc.)

Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psheu
I think I am the first to swap the regular brake to OEM Brembo brake..... the differences are nite and day...... with bigger rotor, more pistons, bigger pad...... what do u expect Brembo can stop on a dime literally My RL got even bigger Brembo brakes (the rear brake is about the same size as the regular front TL brake.... the front Brembo caliper on RL is bigger than TL Brembo caliper)..... I'm thinking one day I'm gonna find me a set of RL Brembo brakes (front and back) and see if our cars can take it (of course the offset will change, etc.)

R those Parking sensors on your front Bumper... Cool Have you tried a camera as well, just an idea.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sal's Type S
R those Parking sensors on your front Bumper... Cool Have you tried a camera as well, just an idea.
yep, they are.... works great if u wanna part close to something in front of you.... got the back sensor as well
Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Improving the stopping distance has more to do with the tires than just the brakes. you just have more braking force with bigger brakes. thats why some cars with regular sliding caliper design brakes outstop cars with bigger 4-piston brakes.

I shod the TL with the BBS wheels with new Advan A046s from an Evo IX SE a year ago. the improvement in grip and braking ability was night an day. mashing the brakes (non-Brembo) resulted in hard, quick stops - with ABS barely checking in to intervene. As soon as I had wore them out and swapped back the factory Michelins, boy, did it feel bad. mashing the brakes the same way before triggered the ABS into a frenzy, and I can definitely feel the car's front tires skidding on the pavement, up until i stopped.

A worthwhile upgrade for those who do 90% or more in street driving would be to swap for better rotors, pads and a good set of grippy tires. it will be less expensive to do, less expensive to maintain and overall make much more financial sense. Granted, there is no denying the initial stopping power of a solid, 4-piston brake system, but all it does is get you past the ABS threshold sooner. with crappy tires, you'll be still skidding along the road as ABS works on stopping you into a halt.

that being said, bigger brakes just resist fade much more than stock brakes. so repeated panic stops would burn the stock brakes while the Brembos would resist fading a bit longer.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM
ADVANCE.

Well I don't know how the other brake pads on the other model TL's work, but my brembos are life savers and I couldn't be any happier...

PEACE!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I need some Brembos in my life
Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
My Brembos cost me a new rear bumper...

Just because we can stop fast, it does not mean the rest of the world can... I have a neurotic thing now to always look in my rear view mirror when braking...always...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by J-STEELE
Well I don't know how the other brake pads on the other model TL's work, but my brembos are life savers and I couldn't be any happier...

PEACE!
Well it's a floating caliper VS 4 piston caliper.... HUUUGE difference
Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TeknoKing
My Brembos cost me a new rear bumper...

Just because we can stop fast, it does not mean the rest of the world can... I have a neurotic thing now to always look in my rear view mirror when braking...always...
Me too.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

well, i think if you have to choose between bust up rear bumper vs. bust up front bumper, grill, head lights/fog lights, condenser (possibly engine)..... I pick bust up rear bumper any day..... plus, whoever ran into you have to be responsible for the repair cuz they r at fault...... Brembo FTW
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
some like it stock

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
Improving the stopping distance has more to do with the tires than just the brakes. you just have more braking force with bigger brakes.
+1

"i hate cars" said this earlier in the thread as well. basically, if the brakes can "lock up" (cause ABS to turn on) the wheels then bigger brakes will have the same effect. it is all about traction.

that being said, bigger brakes just resist fade much more than stock brakes. so repeated panic stops would burn the stock brakes while the Brembos would resist fading a bit longer.
took my type-S to deals gap (tail of the dragon) last weekend and then to the cherohala skyway. for those who don't know, deals gap (US-129 at the TN/NC border) has 318 curves in 11 miles. i got there early and drove it hard most of the way through (had to slow down for a couple cars and cruisers). i had zero fade with the brembos.

then i took it on the skyway where i had a lot more speed and some surprise decreasing radius turns going in at 55-65mph. not quite as hard on the brakes this time but the skyway is 60-some miles long and mostly 35mph (posted ) curves. again, zero fade although i didn't push it as much at those higher speeds.

it was my first time driving the type S like that but i was very impressed with how smoothly the brakes worked at stopping me fast when needed (which was often). so brembos + potenzas FTW.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
08' WDP Type S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have to agree, I love these things. Hopefully I will remember how much I love them when I have my car in for breaks pretty soon lol
Old 06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

if nothing else, they def. look better than the floating brake.... and easier to service....

p.s. the RL Brembo is even bigger and beefier than the TL's
Old 06-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

remember to flush-change out the brake fluid every year starting at year 3 of the cars life.
It will improve pedal feel and remove any spongy feel to the pedal after a day of hard play- or a few track sessions~
New fluid is a good thing anytime
Also protects the brake calipers and ABS controller from contamination damage
wiki hygroscopic for details
Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Originally Posted by wickie2000
Brembos are sweet but they do wear kinda fast!! i needed front brakes after 28000miles

Lucky you......I changed mines after 15K. And no I dont drive like a maniac.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLType-s12
Lucky you......I changed mines after 15K. And no I dont drive like a maniac.
15k wow..... were u driving with one foot on the brake?..... that's kinda low, might want to get it checked up just to be on the safe side..... my pads on my Brembo is still going strong and I have 65K on my car already.... than again, I didn't use the Brembo brake pad.... the dust from the original Brembo pad was driving me crazy (had to clean my rims every week).... so I swap it out as soon as I can.... I'm using the ceramic low dust pad.... it's the bomb no dust, long lasting, and brake just as good if not better than the original brembo pad.....
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jack the ex-cynic
+1

"i hate cars" said this earlier in the thread as well. basically, if the brakes can "lock up" (cause ABS to turn on) the wheels then bigger brakes will have the same effect. it is all about traction.

took my type-S to deals gap (tail of the dragon) last weekend and then to the cherohala skyway. for those who don't know, deals gap (US-129 at the TN/NC border) has 318 curves in 11 miles. i got there early and drove it hard most of the way through (had to slow down for a couple cars and cruisers). i had zero fade with the brembos.

then i took it on the skyway where i had a lot more speed and some surprise decreasing radius turns going in at 55-65mph. not quite as hard on the brakes this time but the skyway is 60-some miles long and mostly 35mph (posted ) curves. again, zero fade although i didn't push it as much at those higher speeds.

it was my first time driving the type S like that but i was very impressed with how smoothly the brakes worked at stopping me fast when needed (which was often). so brembos + potenzas FTW.
The short version is bigger brakes can't give the tires more traction. In a single stop upgrading brakes will do nothing. Upgrading tires will do a lot.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Intermediate

I would have to agree Brembo's or go HOME! They are one of the best brake caliper made....
Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trippin Bimmer
I would have to agree Brembo's or go HOME! They are one of the best brake caliper made....
Because we fade our base brakes all the time.

I see the marketing department does work lol. Can you explain why they're one of the best or is that what you've read...

You do realize that most OEM "Brembos" are their lowest end brakes. Sure, they're better than base brakes for repeated hard stops but they're no where close to a track ready brake in a 3,500lb car.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I <3 my brembos; I went w/ Hawk HPS Ceramics and they seem to do pretty good.. though I believe I need new rotors
Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 PM
mjv
10th Gear

+1 for the brembo upgrade. There are a lot of Honda hotties in the ATL area as well.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good pads and rotors are all u need...

the brembo's will do the rest...asdf gotta love the brembo!!

even my boy with a g35 was suprise how strong my brakes were when he took my car for a ride
Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM
"Advance"

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's a matter of the traction of the tire to the road. Brembo brakes don't give the tires better traction. In a single stop, the base brakes will stop you just as fast.
Your right, the tires are the most important in the equation, but nobody can deny that the brembos arent helping.

4 pistons Brembos are not simply for the look !!

Good to know you're enjoying your BREMBOS! I do every single day
Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VmtSquad
Your right, the tires are the most important in the equation, but nobody can deny that the brembos arent helping.

4 pistons Brembos are not simply for the look !!

Good to know you're enjoying your BREMBOS! I do every single day

What no one is understanding is tires are the ONLY factor in a one stop panic stop. Results have already been posted in other threads where the base brakes will stop a foot or two shorter than Brembos in some mag tests.

Brembos don't shine until you're doing multiple hard stops back to back. Until then Brembo equipped cars won't stop any better.

Quick Reply: Wow...These Brembos..