3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you choose an RL over a TL for $8-10 grand more?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you choose an RL over a TL for $8-10 grand more?

I'm getting close to purchasing a new Acura, either an RL or a TL. I posted this question in the RL forum a few weeks ago and got lots of responses. So now I'm asking the TL owners: do you feel the RL is worth $8-10 grand more than the TL? It clearly is a more refined car, with more luxury features and the AWD, but is it really worth that much more to the average driver? I do not live in an ice/snow area, so the AWD would only have the benefit of better handing under dry or rainy conditions. I am not the kind of driver that pushes my vehicle to the edge on a regular basis. I do appreciate some luxury, comfort, and performance.

I know all of you chose the TL, but would be interested in any observations/opinions for those who have checked out both cars.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Sec's Expert

Originally Posted by redman042
I'm getting close to purchasing a new Acura, either an RL or a TL. I posted this question in the RL forum a few weeks ago and got lots of responses. So now I'm asking the TL owners: do you feel the RL is worth $8-10 grand more than the TL? It clearly is a more refined car, with more luxury features and the AWD, but is it really worth that much more to the average driver? I do not live in an ice/snow area, so the AWD would only have the benefit of better handing under dry or rainy conditions. I am not the kind of driver that pushes my vehicle to the edge on a regular basis. I do appreciate some luxury, comfort, and performance.

I know all of you chose the TL, but would be interested in any observations/opinions for those who have checked out both cars.
I went through the same debate with a customer of mine, who happens to run the internet division at Acura in Scottsdale. We went back and forth, but at the end of the day, the only function I could justify was the Nav Traffic. THAT wasn't worth the $8-$10k difference. Ultimately, you have to make that choice, but I certainly couldn't.

It was never an issue of the money. I could afford either car, but at the end of the day, I don't want to spend money that I won't enjoy.

I hope this helps you a little.

Steve
Old 04-03-2006, 05:13 PM
I have Lucy tied up in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that depends on a lot of things, I have a 05 NBP Navi TL and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's quick, the understeer isn't terrible, the technology integrated into the car is phenomenal. But the car is a sports sedan, not a luxury sedan, so the ride is going to be stiffer and you are going to feel the bumps in the road a little more than you would in the RL.

It also depends on how long you plan on keeping the car, recenting reviews have pointed out that the RL can develop some issues as the miles wear on, while the TL has great track record for long time ownership and resale value.

Finally how much of a strech is it for you to spend the extra $$$, If it is any kind of strech at all save yourself the headache and get the TL, I promise you won't regret it.

But in the end go with what you feel is the best choice for yourself not what others think. Just make sure whatever car you choose buy it at a reputable dealer with long time service excellence, because that will make your whole acura experience that much better

Just my
Old 04-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Burning Brakes

IMO... I really like the RL, but at this point in my life the RL is just too big of a car for me. The TL is much sportier, and just suits me better. I do definitely like the extra gadgets in the RL, but I'd rather have the smaller sportier TL for now. I may change my mind in 5 years or so, but .... who knows. It really wasn't about the money to me because I took at $10K step down when I bought my TL (moving over from German sedans, trying to be more sensible).
Old 04-04-2006, 08:26 AM
04 NBP 6MT

No. If I had an extra 10 grand I would get an M35/45.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Great feedback so far. Thanks!

While we can afford the extra cost of an RL, we are not rich, so the extra money spent on the car is money we won't have later for other discretionary purchases. Monthly payments on the RL will be $600 vs $400 for the TL (based on $15k down). The $200 a month extra does add up over time. We have a long list of things we want to do to our house, and that extra cash will certainly come in handy.

On the other side of the coin, the RL is definitely a more luxurious car in many ways. We've never owned a car like it before (or the TL for that matter). We're both used to more mainstream cars. So it would be wonderful to own such a refined car.

But then again, we originally went to the Acura lot to look at the TL. It wasn't until the salesman showed us the RL that we started to really think about it. If we hadn't been shown the RL, we'd probably be thinking only of the TL, and would be quite happy with that choice. But once you see something better...

Then there's the mechanically-knowledgeable side of me that says "the RL has just TOO many electrical and mechanical gadgets in it". We'll probably own the car for 8-10 years. Is all that stuff going to still be working okay in that amount of time? The TL is a simpler, more straightforward car. It's bound to have less issues over time.

So obviously I'm pretty conflicted. But at the moment the practical side of me is in the lead, so I'm leaning towards the TL. Besides, the TL just looks slicker from the outside.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Instructor

IMHO if money is not the issue, then the RL is superior in terms of build quality and fit and finish. The TL is more fun to drive, however, but not luxurious like the RL.

I have owned Acuras for 14 years, and went through the same debate last year - I just could not justify the price. Part of me wishes I had bought the RL, but either way, the 05 TL will likely be the last Acura I buy - the quality is not there anymore - relative to the price. Most might not notice, but I have been the poster boy for Acura -> Integra -> CL-S -> TL... and have seen the quality eroding. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:41 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by urbaita1
IMHO if money is not the issue, then the RL is superior in terms of build quality and fit and finish. The TL is more fun to drive, however, but not luxurious like the RL.

I have owned Acuras for 14 years, and went through the same debate last year - I just could not justify the price. Part of me wishes I had bought the RL, but either way, the 05 TL will likely be the last Acura I buy - the quality is not there anymore - relative to the price. Most might not notice, but I have been the poster boy for Acura -> Integra -> CL-S -> TL... and have seen the quality eroding. Just my opinion. Good luck.
In your opinion...what is a better car in the same price range as the TL?

Ryan
Old 04-04-2006, 11:01 AM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NO, if I had the extra $$$ I would get myself the 3 pointed star brand!!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Nope I would stick with the TL!

I hate the interior of the RL and it's so big it kind of feels like you are driving a boat or a CADDY! However, I love that the car is AWD that's a big ++++

I say by the TL and use the rest of your money for a vacation!

Good Luck

-Doug
Old 04-04-2006, 11:17 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
If I were 10 years older I would probably buy the RL. The TL is big but the fun to drive factor is still there, especially with the manual tranny. I have a few more years to enjoy that before I go any bigger
Old 04-04-2006, 11:33 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
I would get a TL and put the extra money torwards aspec + aftermarket upgrades. In the higher luxury segment, I think the infinity's beat out the RL.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Absolutely not. Primary reason above all else; no manual transmission. Then there's size and looks. While always subjective, I don't like the RL and I do like the TL.

But without a manual tranny, no car would even get a second look from me.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Intermediate

I myself was torn between the 2006 TL and the 2006 RL when i went to trade in my 04 TL. At first it seemed simple RL all the way. With its excellent interior, NAV Traffic, SHAWD. But then came the test drive of the RL and when i got on the highway I floored the gas and to me it just felt like it didnt go any where. Its just to underpowered for me, when they make it a 340 HP V8 Ill sign the contract. But until then the cost could not be justified so I got another TL
Old 04-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Instructor

owned both

I owned an05 RL for almost 3 months before it got totaled due to flooding. and due to the $13 grand difference now I owned an 05 TL. If its $8 grand difference I will jump on another RL without much thinking needed. but for $13 grand, it seems like a lot to me. but i have to say the RL is a lot better car in my opinion (please dont kill me). Here are the pros for each car and thats only my opinion, again:

RL:

1. better exerior and interior and far less common on the road.
2. more comfortable driver seat, feel so much more comfortable in long driving. my back hurts after a few hours in my TL for some reason.
3. many more gadgets and more luxurious. for example, keyless entry and start make it so much more convienent for me, esp when holding two bags of groceries, dont need to press the remote to open the trunk and doors. power shades in rear for back seat ppl and power down headrest make a lot better view to rear glass, and also gets a lot of compliments, etc, too many to list but these are the most stand out features i like the most.
4. all wheel drive makes a big difference in dry or wet road, esp in the curves, can go a lot faster in freeway curves without much worries, cant do that with TL.
5. plays mp3

TL:
1. use less gas
2. like the touch screen navi more. the nob on the RL is less user friendly and more time consuming.
3. $13 grand less for me so less worries when parked in public.
4. no engine whinning sound when go over 70 miles.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by your_mom
I agree.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Quick answer as I'm still at work, and will be for another several hours.

I strongly considered an RL six months ago, along with the M35x. I ultimately decided that spending money on a new, more expensive depreciating asset while enjoying my current depreciating asset (which is depreciating far more slowly than an RL) would not be a sound financial decision. Bottom line: I didn't want to spend more money on a more expensive car--the benefits of owning that new car didn't come into play. And I'm a fan of the RL--I'd really enjoy driving one, especially with A-Spec.

Part of the money I would have spent on a down payment for an RL/M35 went toward mods. As a result, my car payment remains the same and I have virtually a "new" car.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wasabe918
2. more comfortable driver seat, feel so much more comfortable in long driving. my back hurts after a few hours in my TL for some reason.
4. all wheel drive makes a big difference in dry or wet road, esp in the curves, can go a lot faster in freeway curves without much worries, cant do that with TL.
I'm going to miss having those seats if I go TL over the RL.

The handling advantages of the RL are really tempting, but at the same time my very safety-conscious wife is not going to like me driving in a way that pushes the limits such that the AWD would make any difference on dry pavement. I wish I could take advantage of that feature. But in reality, even operating the TL (which I'm sure handles quite well) close to its limits is going to generate a severe scowl from the passenger seat.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Instructor

so whats the deal RL these days? Should be pretty attractive since they arent selling that well.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
New and Improved!

Red face Decisions, Decisions!

There are many angles to approach this from....

1st, I will stick to the 2 cars you mention: TL & RL

I don't think either is a bad decision, depending on your priorities, driving style and features that appeal to YOU.

2nd, are those differences WORTH the monetary value? Hmmmm...tough call. Who can tell you what your values are worth???

Let me put it this way, if a choice of either car as FREE, I would chose the RL. If I was to choose to purchase it would be the TL. Assuming affordability is NOT the issue, but VALUE is.....TL. Simply put, I think the TL is a bigger bang at 35K than an RL at 43K+.

But I think these are very different cars. Yes, both are Acuras, and some dimensions are similar, but the character is different. The TL is edgey, aggressive and still reasonably economical (and green-ish). It rides more sporty and is more commonly compared with sport sedans. The RL is more a luxury touring sedan and a bit less 'look at me!' in styling. One perhaps more passionate, one perhaps more sophisticate....you decide.

Now, removing characteristics, you can simply list the features. Does the RLs features over the TL justify that cost? Try deleting from the list the features you do not particularly care for...now how is your balance sheet looking?

Last...unless you are all about arranged marriages that look good on paper....DRIVE THEM BOTH. Me thinks the CARS will tell you which is best for you, and not the opinions of people unlikely to make deposits into your bank account.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

I had both cars on the lot, loved the RL, but at my point in life 36 years old, I was happy to keep 10K in the bank, and love the TL.

Michael
Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope Acura will come out with a new model to replace the RL, or perhaps re-invent the RL to be a more powerful and refined car than it currently is. As it is, it has the styling of an "old man's" TL and does not have more features (except nav traffic which is nice) or speed. I think it should look a bit more sporty, be faster, and yet have even more luxury and features to justify a price difference this great.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I agree.

same here. M35X got a lot of nice features and quality interior is nive as well. I didn't like the interior of the RL. Center panel looks really akward.

I would get TL w/ Navi and use 13 grand for investment like saving bonds.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Instructor

I have driven both cars twice. I have mixed feelings about which is better. The RL is definitely more luxurious and comfortable, and I do like its interior better. But the TL has snappier performance and handling. And it certainly looks better from the outside. Most likely I will choose the TL, and save the extra 10 grand for other things.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
Way Fast Whitey

I wanted the speed of the TL verses the Luxury of the RL. Don't get me wrong I think the RL is am amzing ride, just not a thriller. The 6spd TL is second only to the NSX in the Acura lineup.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Instructor

I think for the most part my wife and I would prefer a luxurious ride over a sporty one, while still retaining some good performance when we need it, such as for passing or merging. The RL seems to fit that bill best. However, for $10k + more, we're not sure the small ride advantage is worth it. From what I can tell, the TL has a pretty nice ride itself, especially if you swap out for better tires.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Absolutely not. If I am spending 8-10k more than I spent on my TL aspec I would be buying something completely different.

The RL is boring IMO and slower than the TL. AWD is nice but it's boatier and definitely feels it.

In the RL segement I see it as M45>GS430>RL. It wouldnt even be a consideration.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
AWD makes absolutely no sense to me in my area.. we just don't get that much snow where it would be useful. But mainly because it's a power robber. If Acura upped the horsepower, an particularly the torque, of the TL because of AWD, I'd much rather forgo the AWD and have the additional power.

Personal preference, that's all.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by your_mom

AHHHH ... the M45 .... that car is a panty dropper!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfsterx
same here. M35X got a lot of nice features and quality interior is nive as well. I didn't like the interior of the RL. Center panel looks really akward.

I would get TL w/ Navi and use 13 grand for investment like saving bonds.
Savings bonds? Your kidding right? If you want to invest buy stock ... WARNING DAY TRADING IS VERY ADDICTIVE! Especiallywhen you can make $300 - $1200 a day. WARNGING #2: You could also lose $500-$1000 a day. I'm telling you, its really addictive ... like gambling addicts!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Intermediate

During my recent TL purchase I test drove a new black on black RL for 15 minutes just to make sure I did not want the RL. During the test drive per the request of my sales agent who kept saying just keep flooring it all the way I got a real feel of the cars handling and torque as I hit the redline 4 times on the freeway and city streets. The following are my personal opinions on what I liked and disliked about both cars.

RL
Disliked the exterior styling. Something aimed more at 40+ year olds. Seats are a little more comfortable than the TL's.
Played with the live nav traffic which was a nice feature.
This car is painted by human hands rather than machines so thats a +.
Car is very gripy accelerating in and out of curves due to its SHAWD.
I did not notice ANY difference in the RL's engine power/torque over the TL's.

TL
Exterior styling is a perfect 10 for me. I could have not sketched it any better.
Interior styling is also a perfect 10.
The standard alloys look better than the RL's.
TL's navigation is more user friendly than the RL's.
It being FWD does not bother me unlike some people that sound like the world
is going to end when they feel a little torque steer.

In the end the price difference was not an issue with me. It was all a matter of which car fit my lifestyle and preferences better. I wanted a car with great performance that included alot of gizmos/gadgets and of course living in California a car that I looked good in. The TL was it. I see the RL in my future 10-20 years down the road but not now.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Instructor

After much deliberation and many discussions on this forum, my wife and I decided to get the TL instead of the RL. While we could afford the RL, we asked ourselves if it is really worth it to spend the extra 10 grand, and after thinking about every little difference between these cars, decided it was not. The TL is already very luxurious plus has more sportiness than the RL. We prefer the look of the TL anyway. So with great anticipation we're heading to the dealership tomorrow night to select and purchase our new car. Going with 5spd auto with navi in anthracite metallic with quartz interior. We'll order the A-spec body treatment but without the suspension or wheel mods (we prefer a smoother ride). We'll also get some kind of custom ipod mount later on that allows for control FROM the ipod. Finally I'm going to ask the dealer to swap out the stock tires for something better, such as the Michellin Sports, if they can. Can't wait!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:53 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Absolutely not. Primary reason above all else; no manual transmission. Then there's size and looks. While always subjective, I don't like the RL and I do like the TL.

But without a manual tranny, no car would even get a second look from me.
Although the RL holds oddles more prestige and gadgets galore, the tranny (or lack of) is the biggest dissapointment to me. While I wouldn't mind the lack of a 6MT transmission, the least Acura could have designed was a slick, manual-shifting auto ala SMG / DSG where paddles actually feel like their doing the shifting. The current paddles on the RL is a joke and doesn't change gears until a full second or two after you pulled the paddle back. When it finally does shift, it lands in a dissapointing spot on the RPM curve and doesn't do the 300 horsepower V6 any favors.

Despite what TOV and other RL critics have wrote/said, I still think the RL doesn't need a gas-guzzling V8. It already has the power. It just doesn't have a tranny to compliment it.

In the end, Acura would be in BIG trouble if it weren't for the value and success of the TL. They seem to grow on trees here in Southern California.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Good choice! Although the RL is a sweet car, the TL is better (as you and many others have pointed out, though, it's all relative).

It sounds like you want to get the ASPEC body kit from the dealer at purchase as opposed to after the fact and DIY or have it installed. If that's the way you go, here's a heads up: I got the full body kit (front, rear, sides) and the wing spoiler at purchase for $1,100 installed...I'd expect with a lip spoiler for it to be less, and with no spoiler, even less. For a point of reference, one of our vendors had a sale on the ASPEC kit (F, R, S) a while back for $757 shipped...I'm sure they still made a profit on it, so it gives you an idea of the ridiculous mark up in the retail price of the parts. Keep that in mind during negotiations.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXmeister
NO, if I had the extra $$$ I would get myself the 3 pointed star brand!!
i would put it towards a E55...
Old 04-07-2006, 03:06 PM
New and Improved!

Talking

Ditto on the congrats!

I cannot see you being disappointed with your choice. It certainly appears you have already done careful research and analysis. And still nothing wrong with admiring the RL (I do).

I look at it this way....I'd rather admire the RL as a potential step up vehichle, should I ever decide to go that route, than have purchased the RL and felt I would have been satisfied with the TL.

The longer I drive my TL (just about 14 months now) the more I am convinced it is THE ride for me and my set budget. Even with newer rides on the market since my TL purchase, if I were to spend the same money to buy another car today, it would look identicle to the one sitting in my garage already.

Enjoy the honeymoon.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice on the body kit.

I'm not sure what Acura needs to do to make the RL better, enough to justify the cost. It IS a great car, but it's just too similar to the TL for all the extra money, and I wonder if the extra features such as SH-AWD are really an advantage or just a case of more cost/complexity/maintenance than most people need. For me, the TL is the right blend of luxury, performance, and relative simplicity that we need. Sure, I'm sacrificing a few things, like Nav Traffic, drop down headrests, and other doodads, but I'm still getting a LOT from the TL. And we can take the money we save and buy other discretionary things, go on vacation, or just keep it in the bank.

BTW, KaMLuNg... that is THE funniest avatar/thumbnail I have ever seen.. LOL!!
Old 04-07-2006, 04:28 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
After much deliberation and many discussions on this forum, my wife and I decided to get the TL instead of the RL. While we could afford the RL, we asked ourselves if it is really worth it to spend the extra 10 grand, and after thinking about every little difference between these cars, decided it was not. The TL is already very luxurious plus has more sportiness than the RL. We prefer the look of the TL anyway. So with great anticipation we're heading to the dealership tomorrow night to select and purchase our new car. Going with 5spd auto with navi in anthracite metallic with quartz interior. We'll order the A-spec body treatment but without the suspension or wheel mods (we prefer a smoother ride). We'll also get some kind of custom ipod mount later on that allows for control FROM the ipod. Finally I'm going to ask the dealer to swap out the stock tires for something better, such as the Michellin Sports, if they can. Can't wait!

Navi's should come with the michelins already.... be sure to get that aspec bodykit asap so you can get a clearbra installed for protection!
Old 04-07-2006, 05:23 PM
10th Gear

"Build your house not you car". Cars are depreciating assests they are both very nice cars so it really depend on where your priorities are. I see no reason for me to purchase a RL over a TL
Old 04-07-2006, 08:36 PM
RickRoush03

just crusing and had to ask, how the hell is an RL bigger than a TL, its the same chassis is it not? I've sat in both and actually feel more couped up in the RL then the TL especially in the rear. My attitude would be pocket the $8k, what more could you need that the TL doesn't have, if you've never had it you prob wouldnt miss it.

personally, i think the RL is ugly, espcially for that price, the TL is much sharper looking and less hondaish look, IMO

Quick Reply: Would you choose an RL over a TL for $8-10 grand more?