Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a new TL again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you buy a new TL again?

Hi, I'm new here and I have been doing some searchin'. I have been considering the 06 TL AT w/NAV but am a little scared by some of the complaints I'm reading- rattles and leather issues being the top ones. I hate rattles! I like to keep my cars and have a 93 Maxima w/224k mi. and she has no rattles! I have test driven 2 06 TL's so far and have not noticed any rattles. I did not notice the miles on them but will when I test drive another. How big an issue is this rattle thing? What are my odds of getting one with it? Same for the leather. As a TL owner would you buy again? The TL is at my dollar limit and I don't believe there are others w/similar features w/o spending at least a few k more. I realize there is a warranty but who wants to keep going back and wasting time. Then there is the frustration level. Will this car last as long as my Maxima and still be enjoyable to drive- no rattles, cracked seats, headliner falling down, etc.? I appreaciate any advice here and thanks for all the info!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I found these old threads that might interest you:
Are purchasers of the '06 TL generally pleased with your purchases? Any prolems?

Want to buy TL; BUT, I am leery because of...
Old 06-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
You obviously have researched this and you know what the common problems are. I have an 05 TL 6MT and I love it. Yes it has a few rattles, nothing big. I have a 3rd gear issue that happens when its cold, but again, nothing big to me. Other issues have been dealt with. You will drive yourself crazy worrying about the cars imperfections. Let me be the first to tell you its not going to be perfect. But I think after you spend some time in it you will begin to appreciate it.

Would I buy one again, yes I would, in a heartbeat.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:45 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jtconte
Hi, I'm new here and I have been doing some searchin'. I have been considering the 06 TL AT w/NAV but am a little scared by some of the complaints I'm reading- rattles and leather issues being the top ones. I hate rattles! I like to keep my cars and have a 93 Maxima w/224k mi. and she has no rattles! I have test driven 2 06 TL's so far and have not noticed any rattles. I did not notice the miles on them but will when I test drive another. How big an issue is this rattle thing? What are my odds of getting one with it? Same for the leather. As a TL owner would you buy again? The TL is at my dollar limit and I don't believe there are others w/similar features w/o spending at least a few k more. I realize there is a warranty but who wants to keep going back and wasting time. Then there is the frustration level. Will this car last as long as my Maxima and still be enjoyable to drive- no rattles, cracked seats, headliner falling down, etc.? I appreaciate any advice here and thanks for all the info!
Get another car then...cause this will drive you crazy then. All of em creak and rattle after a while. Too many different interior meterials...metal/plastic, ect. together in the same panel....personally...it doesnt bother me a bit. Not that big of a deal. But if you are a rattle snake and will chase down every sound...I would say get another model.

BTW...would I buy again....probably.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol..Michael is the ideal Acura salesman...No car is perfect and you shouldn't expect it to be that's why there are service departments to fix your problems.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 05 TL and so far I have no major problem with the car. In fact, I haven't stepped into a dealership's service dept for anything. Knock on wood. It's got 12000 miles so far.

It's true that the car rattles. It's also true that the leather is delicate, but it's not as bad as, say, Tahoe's or Yukon's. My driver's seat shows some creases and wrinkles, but most of them disappear after cleaning and conditioning with Lexol.

I don't have any other problems though. No sagging headliner, no odd noises besides the interior rattles, nothing.

The car is a hoot to drive. It's not the most fun car to drive in its price range, but it's arguably the best value. The driver's seat is very supportive and comfortable at the same time. It has roomy rear seat that I can sit behind myself pretty comfortably (I'm 6'). Pretty good size trunk, too.

The car is pretty agile for a FWD sedan with 3500 lbs. It also stops very well.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:16 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by CL Platano
lol..Michael is the ideal Acura salesman...No car is perfect and you shouldn't expect it to be that's why there are service departments to fix your problems.
Now sir...not sure what you were incinuating...but I was just telling the guy the truth? Why lead him to something that is going to drive him crazy and make him unhappy. I can see it coming....you know. You are right..they are NOT perfect...as NO car is.....but they will rattle and creak. He is used to a Maxima...and I know they are cars that are fairly quiet inside...so this could take some getting used to. I mean what...tell the guy...ya ya ya...go buy now man...be like us...we are the coolest out there....everything will be peaches and cream.....not so....I would be lying to the guy. I guess thats the point...we shouldnt be trying to be "salesmen" in a thread like this...tell the guy the truth! Dont sell him a car...but tell him the truth...which is what I did?

So I am supposed to tell him to ignore his concerns...the service department will deal with it?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I have an 05 TL 6-speed Navi and honestly it is the best car I've ever owned. I've had it for 19 months and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. in the past, when I have had a car this long, I usually end up getting tired of it and trading it in for something else. I do not plan to get rid of my TL.

I haven't noticed any rattles in mine, but the Navi void can get annoying sometimes especially when you are trying to listen to the radio and it rudely interupts what you are trying to hear.

Another minor complaint is that the leather seats are not as plush as the RL's

The only two problems I have had with operating the car is that the clutch pedal would click when being pressed and also 3rd gear would sometimes pop out, but recently I haven't even had that problem anymore after my last service. The clutch pedal still clicks sometimes though.

The car is a blast to drive still. Dare I say more fun than my old Mustang GT, which much more goodies.

So to answer your question, Yes. In this price range, the I would buy the TL again in a heartbeat, other than the G35 coupe, the TL is the only other car I like in the 30K - 40K range. If I wanted to upgrade, I'd go with the new M45.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well, i've only got 2000 miles on mine, my neighbor has one that a year old (he thinks the ride is too hard), my cousin has an 04 and loves it. I love mine. I'd get another in a minute. Most enjoyable new car I've had in a long time.

BTW, was given a loaner today (some scratches on my console, the dealer replaced the whole thing), this car had 5200 miles on it and looked worse than any car I've ever had including ones that had 90000 miles on it. All scratched up, dirty, just terrible, no squeeks or rattles.

Dave
Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by datmrman
Yeah that's a good link. But it's 6 months old and no one has added to it since March.

I digress.

Since I've purchased 2 new TL's in the last 10 months, traded the '05 NBP w/o navi in a '06 ASM w/navi. The cars are like night and day. It is the only car on the market with I'm looking for plus have room for my kids. At this time I think I would wait and see what if anything they do with the '07 TL's coming. Or what the new Infinity G series will look like.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:07 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would I buy a TL again?.....probably not since I don't plan on selling or trading mine any time soon. Rattles??..I have none and I most probably drive without the radio again tomorrow as this thread will pop into my head and I will want to find a rattle, now the TL is IMHO, one of if not the most complete car I've ever owned and can say that is also the one I have installed the most mods (short shifter, CAI, PZeros, yellow fogs, GM Synchromesh fluid, Castrol Syntech) items that have made the car more fun to drive therefore buying another one and starting all over again to get what I already have...well it doesn't wouldn't make any sense....
If it was stolen (knock on wood) or happen to get it totalled then in a heart beat I would place an order for another TL 6MT non navi and would start buying all the mods all over again....I know it would be fun...
Old 06-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

I've been very happy with mine - I sure would buy it again (but maybe not in Texas and put all those miles on it moving out here!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have two 3G TLs. Mine is an '04 manual (built in July '04), and my wife's is an '05 automatic (built in March, '05). Neither one has any issue whatsoever. Both are solid, reliable, and a blast to drive (the edge obviously goes to the manual). We replaced my wife's '96 328i BMW with a better, safer, and far more reliable car in her '05 TL and she loves it.

If you are of a mind and love driving, give serious consideration to the manual TL. You will not regret it.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

Just my two cents! Would I buy the car again? Defenitely NOT! I'm like you rattles drive me nuts. I too did research prior to my purchase and read many of the comments and concerns from everyone here. I was well informed but decided to take a chance since many did not seem to be bothered about these issues (rattles/leather). But I must admitt after the purchase and test driving 4 of them (all of them with no rattles during the test drive) I purchased 06 WDP AT/Ebony with Nav. Guess what, after just 300 plus miles the RATTLE ATTACT started. Since then I've done the window fix myself but I have an appointment to take in on Mon. to fix the door rattles!! Who knows if they will be able to duplicate the issue. So therefore I've been very disappointed in the quality (interior) of this vehicle!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Well, I've had my '06 two months (roughly 2000 miles). Would I buy again? I would have to think about it. After about 1,000 miles the rattles have started! One in the A pillar and one in the center console - more like creaks than rattles, but extremely annoying nonetheless in a new car. The car seems a little under-powered to me and I get a lot of front wheel spin.

The electronics are outstanding however! I love how everything works together, Navi, XM, Bluetooth. The only annoying thing there is the lack of auto headlights and the fact that there is no way to silence the chime that reminds you that you've left your lights on (even though they are auto-off). The size is great!

I had an Audi A4 Quattro before this car and I will probably go back to an all-wheel drive sedan after the TL.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Cruisin'

I have driven and enjoyed an 05 TL, an Its by far the best car for the price. As far as the Creaks and rattles go...its by far the most annoying things ever, honestly. Of course its just simple pet peeves that get me. Stuff like when you set in the front seat it does this weird creeek sound like all the air in the seat is just coming out....it ridiculously annoying considering the price you're paying for the car. Also the console touching the seat is another thing I've noticed is just kinda annoying. Everything else is more than ok. I find everything else to be easily drowned out by the radio...its just the poofy seats and the the console you hear right when you sit in the car.

I suggest though that if something like that really bothers you...you could always opt for an 05 RL with has far better leather and has a more intuitive interior...it'll run you about 4-5 thousand more...but you get more power and SH-AWD plus the added luxury. In the end I wish I had.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jtconte
I would not buy TL again.
And it is because of these rattles.
Car is great (looks, engine, brakes. Navi).
However it DOES rattle. I can not call TL luxury because it is not.
Open window (full) and close driver door. That will answer all your questions.
From your post I can say already TL is not for you.
I also had maxima with 130000 miles. No rattles.
TL with 19000 miles rattles all around (Dashboard, B- pillar, window glass shakes against door panel, when you hit small potholes this cheap plastic sound goes inside of the car)
I know there are some people who do not have rattles (at least they say such)
If it is true I am glad. However I have doubts. I tried several TLs. All rattle.
No more cheap American cars.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Bears Rule!(Well, kinda')

Probably not for me....the service department has tried their damndest to get this thing clear of rattles, but new ones keep springing up. I know that no car is perfect, but I'm really wishing I had not bought the first year of a new model.

That being said, I still enjoy the car for what it is --

Next up, year TWO of the new G35 coupe, methinks!
Old 06-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Definite yes here....though I would test drive a little further up the food chain first (e.g. M35 or RL), or even down the food chain a bit (I really like the Dodge Magnum R/T and new Chevy Impala SS).

I've been a cheerleader for this car for a long time, though, because I have had so few issues. Click on the review link in my signature for more of my opinion.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
G
Bitten.

I just bought my second one, an '06 WDP/Ebony Nav, this past April. I got my first in August of '04. What can I say-I liked the first one so much, I got a second

I trade cars about every 6 months. After playing the market, you really cannot get a better package for the money. Is it perfect-no. But let's be realistic here, it is a car made of thousands upon thousands of parts, and if just one plastic tab wears out, then yes, you will get rattles. Although, in the two that I have had, I have never once experienced a rattle. I never once had a single problem with either one. Hell, these American made Acura's were more reliable and trouble free than my Japanese made S2k!

What it all boils down to is that you really can't beat the package. Yes, it does have it's quirks, but hell, life's not perfect.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Nah, the rattles are pissing me off. One day I'm liable to drive off the road trying to stop the one in the passenger door.

Iff you see a blue TL weaving in front of you with a mad guy banging on the dash, that's me.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I probably would (only rattles come from the center console, havent tried to fix yet). I'm pretty much set on owning 4-door car for the rest of my life (at least as a daily driver) and the TL works out great. If I lost the TL tomorrow would I get another...yes, unless I can get my hands on a 3 year old XJR...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
If you think you have a real rattle, you may not. I thought i had a major rattle coming from my pillar in my new Accord. I was like "uh oh". But then after some analysis I figured out it was actually my two pairs of glasses in the holder overhead! It sounded like it was coming from the A-pillar on the passenger side though! Rattles are deceptive little buggers.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Without a doubt. The fun / $ and toys / $ in this car can't be beat, IMHO.

But, I no longer expect a car to be perfect, just really good. And the TL is really good. YMMV.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If i ever total my TL, I would probably get something else, cause why would you want the same car...unless its the redesign model. I Love my TL and i havnt had any rattles or other stuff people are talking about. All i notice recently is the butt print in my backseats.

So, I guess my answers is YES, only if its a redesign one..like 2008-2009 model.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Intermediate

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate all the excellent replies and honesty on both sides. This site rocks! What I'm getting from this is that it's a way cool car but a Lexus it's not. And that's as it should be. It can't be at it's price point. Not having experienced rattles with my old Maxima for the past 13 years, I don't know how crazy it would drive me. I just need to test drive some more and see if I can find one in my area that has rattles.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:11 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Now sir...not sure what you were incinuating...but I was just telling the guy the truth? Why lead him to something that is going to drive him crazy and make him unhappy. I can see it coming....you know. You are right..they are NOT perfect...as NO car is.....but they will rattle and creak. He is used to a Maxima...and I know they are cars that are fairly quiet inside...so this could take some getting used to. I mean what...tell the guy...ya ya ya...go buy now man...be like us...we are the coolest out there....everything will be peaches and cream.....not so....I would be lying to the guy. I guess thats the point...we shouldnt be trying to be "salesmen" in a thread like this...tell the guy the truth! Dont sell him a car...but tell him the truth...which is what I did?

So I am supposed to tell him to ignore his concerns...the service department will deal with it?
Case and point... https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139245

I think I was being very truthful with him....thats all. Its what I would want anyway??
Old 06-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Over two years and no significant rattles for me. I would/will get another TL but not for a long time as I expect this to last at least as long as my Maxima (14 years).

Like YoungTL, a couple of times I thought "Aha! There's the rattle I've been expecting!" only to find it was DVD cases in the door pocket or sun glasses.

I did get a creak one day from the center speaker. But, I pushed it down with my hand and it went away. If it comes back, I know how to perma-fix it from reading a thread here.

I treated my leather initially with Zaino "Leather in a Bottle." It was dry and soaked up a lot of conditioner. I reapply the conditioner every few months when I do a thorough cleaning. So far, no wrinkles or butt prints. But, the perforated glove leather WILL stretch if you sit there a long time and it will conform to your shape. It's supposed to. That's the difference between leather and vinyl. Leather is soft and compliant. So..... I will see an indent when I first get out but, after a while, it goes back to it's flat shape.

I've noticed that ppl in the warmer climates have fewer rattle complaints than cooler climates. I think it has to do with plastics rubbing against each other and being more prone to noise when they are cold.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Instructor

I have a 04 tl with 17k miles on it.

Here is my list:
I have had 2 rattles fixed (center console) they showed themselves in the winter after ~6mo.

Tires replaced and allignment corrected (passengers and luggage for 2000 mi trip scrubbed the tires off)

Seat back leather had to be replaced, and will replaced again due to surface wear, no butt prints though.

Gillman Acura (Houston) has stepped up and fixed every issue, loaners were always available. No complaints.

Overall: I still rate the car an 8.5 to 9 out of 10. The car is a blast to drive, problems have been repaired promptly. Best car I have driven in 28 years of driving. The problem with my assessment is that I haven't driven any of the competition so I can't compare apples to apples. for what it is worth
Old 06-22-2006, 09:46 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Xpditor
I've noticed that ppl in the warmer climates have fewer rattle complaints than cooler climates. I think it has to do with plastics rubbing against each other and being more prone to noise when they are cold.
This is very true in my observations too. We have a HUGE change in climate here in Indy....way cold and way hot too....and in summer...way better...winter hits...and they do kind of get more prevelent. Good point!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Advanced

If rattles drive you crazy, seriously consider another brand. This was my first and last Acura/Honda product. Good luck
Old 06-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Pro

re

not if the leather quality isnt improved by like 5000%, cus it sucks and makes me cry seeying it die out
Old 06-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Racer

I've got an '05 5AT Anthracite/Ebony. If I needed to get a new car, I'd get another Tl in a heartbeat! The car has been fantastic - fast, with great gas mileage.

I would change things though. I would want a 6MT with Nav; probably Silver/Quartz. I'd get the A-Spec suspension too, and probably a deck lid spoiler (all of which I may add to my current car, I'd just get it at the time of purchase).

gurney
Old 06-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Instructor

i have decided i am not buying a car under 100k
Old 06-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Cruisin'

I have a 04 TL 6 speed with Nav with just 19k miles on it.
Here are the issues I have with it.
1. Torque Steer - on hard acceleration from stop especially around turns.
2. Poor leather quality
3. Had the por quality bridgestone tires initially. Changed them at just 18k miles for the Toyo proxes 4 .

The main issue here is the torque steer. I understand that Acura has made some fixes for this in the 06 model- I just wish they would also fix the older models.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

We have a 2004 TL with just a little over 36,000 Kms. on her and have had

no servicing other than the scheduled maintainence and to have the

summers and winters rotated. Sure, we have had a few issues with a few

minor squeaks and rattles... some have been corrected and the others I just

have relegated to the "Character of the Beast" bin and moved on. Would we buy

another TL? Throw in the SH-AWD and a few more ponies... but leave the

profile and much of the interior design... and my money is out of my wallet faster

than a fly to "you know what". This car still gets me excited to get behind the wheel...

Let the rest eat cake... I just want my TL

Gord
Old 06-23-2006, 10:32 AM
acura-cl.com OG

No, I wouldn't buy another TL. I came from a BMW X5, 3.0i nothing special (cold weather, premium, rear climate, xenon) and it had 63K on it when i traded it in. Honestly, that car with the 20" rims handled better than the TL did stock, without the RSB. The rattles in a brand new car are rediculous and honda should do something from the factory, instead of posting service bulletins and repairing only if the customer complains.
My X5 had rattles, but it had 62K on it! My mom has an x5 with 24K on it and she has NONE!
IMO the handling quality of the TL SUCKS compared to BMW, even with the a-spec suspension, 245 tires and RSB, the car still feels unstable and like a boat on hard turns.
Only prob with my BMW was you couldn't keep it running and the repair bills were through the roof. The TL is a better value def more reliable, but the BMW was a much btter car in all aspects, except for the price.
In 3 years when my financing is over, goodbye acura.....hello again BMW.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

Simple answer, No.

I dont believe that at near 40k for a new navi/aspec, I should have had to deal with half a dozen rattles, improper alignment of the trunk and the glove box, transmission vibrations, and so on.

Furthermore, Acura has a long way as far as customer service is concerned.

I miss being an Infiniti customer from that standpoint, however the styling and features are still very appealable and certainly make the TL aspec a great looking/performing entry luxury vehicle.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Racer

Exclamation 06 TL Manual Trans Torque Steer - Reduces Power

Originally Posted by jumbo
<snipped>
The main issue here is the torque steer. I understand that Acura has made some fixes for this in the 06 model- I just wish they would also fix the older models.
Acura is trying to fix a hardware issue with software.

http://hondanews.com/CatID3011?mid=2...57124&mime=asc

Steering

The TL uses torque-sensing, variable power-assisted rack and pinion steering. The engine-driven variable-output pump provides the kind of steering feel that driving enthusiasts like: modest steering effort at low speeds and precise feel at higher speeds. The steering feel is very linear and evenly weighted.

Torque steer (the tendency for some front wheel drive cars to pull to the left or right during hard acceleration, especially in a turn) can be accentuated in high-performance front wheel drive cars when they are equipped with a limited slip differential. For 2006, Acura has taken steps to reduce torque steer in TLs equipped with a manual transmission. When the TL is in first or second gear, input from gear position, speed and steering angle sensors is used by the ECU to reduce power during acceleration, thus reducing torque steer. In first gear, torque can be reduced between 13 and 27 percent at full throttle, while in second gear, torque is reduced between zero and 10 percent. Torque output is reduced proportionately based on steering input--the larger the steering angle, the greater the reduction in torque. For those desiring maximum possible acceleration switching off the VSA also eliminates this torque reduction. This steering enhancement allows the TL to maintain the sporty, fun-to-drive character while providing more precise steering control.
I have owned my 05 AT Navi TL since May 2005. I judge a car by the lack of issues during ownership and the dealership experience. The jury is still out regarding the TL. The dealership is good, not great. Not on par IMHO with Lexus.

When I was car shopping, I wanted a car in the price range of the mid to upper 30's. The short list of cars I was considering was the Acura TL, Infiniti G35, Lexus ES (the IS is too small in the interior to make my list), Toyota Camry and Nissan Maxima.

Infiniti G35 - Concerned with some of the issues I was reading on the NHTSA website and dated interior.

Lexus ES - Bland styling on the 2005 model.

I did not take a serious look at the Camry or Maxima but I was prepared to look at those cars if the top three did not pan-out.

The Acura TL won me over with it's styling and amenities. My previous car was front wheel drive, so I was accustom to torque steer issues.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by luniz97
i have decided i am not buying a car under 100k
Miles? Or dollars?

Quick Reply: Would you buy a new TL again?