3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The worst thing that can happen to your TL...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:59 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The worst thing that can happen to your TL...

As I found out this morning, the worst thing that can happen to your TL (besides getting completely totaled in an accident) is not paint chipping, rattles, a falling headliner, or strange vibrations...

My friend in western Maryland just bought a WDP/Parchment 5AT w/Navi (based on my advice). The car is 3 days old. Last night his wife parked the car in their driveway and LEFT THE SUNROOF OPEN. There were terrential downpours through the night, with several inches of rain falling.

My friend thinks the car is essentially ruined. The Navi is not working, the front seats are all f'd up, the carpet on the floor feels like a wet sponge. The car was near a tree, so there is debris everywhere......

I told him to call insurance, then to find his wife and
Old 08-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man that sucks....good luck with it. I once refused delivery of a new car when they told me it had been left sitting out with the windows open after it had been prepped and a big rain storm came through and drenched the insides.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
OMG, that's terrible. That would lead to a divorce, or at least thoughts of it. j/k Thank God we have a garage that we actually make use of.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:30 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
One of the best things about the ASC (American Sunroof) sunroof I had installed in my '89 Accord SE-i Coupe was that its auto-close engaged just by turnng the ignition off.

As for the wife in question here.......
Old 08-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shit man- good luck with that...i'm getting dizzy just thinking about all that debris in the car..... shit happens. as for the wife, now she owes you....BIG TIME...
Old 08-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

How terrible. How does an insurance company handle this sort of problem? How do they fix the car?!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Novice
How terrible. How does insurance companies handle this sort of problem? How do they fix the car?!

I just got off the phone with my buddy (who sounds like he's going to commit suicide).

The insurance agent is going to come out this afternoon to look at the car. Evidently, the insurance company (don't know which one) told him that environmental damage due to normal circumstances (ie rain storm vs. a hurricane) seldom is enough to constitute a full payout for the car.

Evidently, they will probably cover replacement of the front seats, replacement of the Navi, and a shampoo for the carpet.

If this is indeed the case, I think I would set my car on fire.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

OUCH! That explains the need for the wife to have her own car, or none at all!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wstevens
Evidently, the insurance company (don't know which one) told him that environmental damage due to normal circumstances (ie rain storm vs. a hurricane) seldom is enough to constitute a full payout for the car.

Evidently, they will probably cover replacement of the front seats, replacement of the Navi, and a shampoo for the carpet.

If this is indeed the case, I think I would set my car on fire.
Get out the matches :flamer:

As for the wife
Old 08-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Team Anthracite

its not even my car but...

urge to kill.... RISING
Old 08-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

I'm sorry to hear.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell ur buddy to look on the bright side.... as small as it may be. The navi is not a total loss. The brain is in the trunk and most likely is not damaged. Its just the display.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:59 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend. Samething happened with some other guy. Search in the forum a guy travling with his GF kept the sunroof open and it rained a lot. You might get some tips from that thread.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Horrible. I realize that mistakes can be made, but man I just don't know about this one. Hope that marriage is strong because messing with someone's wheels is NOT a good thing.

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "car pool".
Old 08-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I cannot believe someone would leave sunroof open like that, but it did happen. Sorry to hear that... Sad, very sad...

This is much worse than the day I left my window at home opened and T-storm flooded my floor... OMG. I just cannot imagine if this happen on my car... nightmare. :'(

wstevens, why we always could hear some amazing stories from you...
Old 08-01-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by rets
wstevens, why we always could hear some amazing stories from you...

Actually, my car-related life has been somewhat eventful recently. Between shitting in my wife's Jetta and my friend's sunroof mishap.

I'm just nervous now, because bad things usually happen in threes....
Old 08-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Just some advice....if all they do is shampoo the carpets..thats not good enough. you need to take the carpets completly out of the car so u can let them sit out and dry (not in the rain)...for a good 2-3 days before they are fully dry...and then shampoo them cause eventually they would build up mildew and mold and then u have an even bigger problem...just some advice...good luck with the car!
Old 08-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Sucks to be him.. Mental note, close all windows when you exit the vehicle
Old 08-01-2004, 05:15 PM

Well, here's an update:

It appears as though Allstate did not deem the car a total. They are apparently going to pay for new front seats, new front floor mats, a new navi screen, and a carpet shampoo. My friend said he thought the stereo may be f'd up too, but they could not find any problems during the inspection.

The sides of the doors a very dirty, but the Allstate agent did not indicate that any leather insert replacements would be made there. It looks like it's up to my friend to clean that himself. Everything else seems to work OK, so it looks like none of the electrical system (besides the navi) was damaged.

Evidently the car smells wretched. I hope the shampoo will help. My buddy is going to subscribe to the forum to get some tips on cleaning this thing out.

It really sucks to have a 3 day old car that now does not seem new at all. What will also suck is the first insurance bill with the new rate increase.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
As I found out this morning, the worst thing that can happen to your TL (besides getting completely totaled in an accident) is not paint chipping, rattles, a falling headliner, or strange vibrations...

My friend in western Maryland just bought a WDP/Parchment 5AT w/Navi (based on my advice). The car is 3 days old. Last night his wife parked the car in their driveway and LEFT THE SUNROOF OPEN. There were terrential downpours through the night, with several inches of rain falling.

My friend thinks the car is essentially ruined. The Navi is not working, the front seats are all f'd up, the carpet on the floor feels like a wet sponge. The car was near a tree, so there is debris everywhere......

I told him to call insurance, then to find his wife and
Will insurance cover this sort of complete inanity? If so, no wonder rates are so high?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Hmmm, did hair color play into this event? Reminds me of an audio file I recently heard. Anyone here heard the "BlondeStar" radio ad yet? PM me with your personal email addy's and I'll forward. It's about a MB. Sorry to hear this happened to a fellow TL owner but maybe a little humor can make it a little better.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:36 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I think I'd worry about electrical problems cropping up later. When cars are storm-damaged (like in a flood), they can be fixed up to look sellable, but later on the rust and corrosion sets in and things mysteriously stop working. That water had to get into the instrument cluster, and there's a lot of stuff wired through the center stack. And then there's the airbags ...

Mike
Old 08-02-2004, 01:18 PM
ZHP 4CE

So much for the new car smell...

I can't imagine what I'd do or how I'd react if my gf did that to my car. That's just unbelievable. That's at least a year's worth of no-strings-attached free head on demand.

Anyways, this actually happened to a friend of mine on the bimmerfest forum. In order to buy his BMW, he had to first buy his wife a new GMC Yukon. Two weeks later, his wife left the Yukon's moonroof open in a rain/hail storm.

It's pretty funny and you can read about it here. Several suggestions were made, the best of which were desiccant packages to soak up the moisture in the car. You can order these online here.

Good luck to your friend.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:42 PM

I hope it wasn't a sunroof electrical gremlin. Where the wife thought she closed the sunroof but it re-opened. I've read that happening to a couple other cars. They close it using the 1-touch sunroof and walk out the car. Since these new cars keep the electronics running maybe 30 seconds after you leave, if the sunroof for some reason re-opens due to a malfunction, you wouldn't even know.

Something maybe to investigate.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Grounds for divorce in thirteen states.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Racer

one good thing came out of all this. he'll be getting head from her til the day he or she dies. shit, he'll be getting head from anyone he wants for that matter.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:13 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by EmuMessenger
OUCH! That explains the need for the wife to have her own car, or none at all!
My wife is NOT ALLOWED to use my car, Period.
I told her, I can buy you whatever you want, (she wants an MDX),
but you cannot use mine!

she's ok with it. (good)

that's why I went ahead and got me a 6MT !
Old 08-03-2004, 12:16 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by imax
Get out the matches :flamer:

As for the wife
the only thing that tops that is what happened to my poor friend...
Went to Europe on a trip, wife got a Telegram from the Broker saying he needed to cover a position or they would sell all his DELL stocks...
The wife forgot to tell my friend, and he lost $2 million ! when he got back.

there goes his retirement! aaarrrgggh @#$
Old 08-03-2004, 12:22 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Well, here's an update:

The sides of the doors a very dirty, but the Allstate agent did not indicate that any leather insert replacements would be made there. It looks like it's up to my friend to clean that himself. Everything else seems to work OK, so it looks like none of the electrical system (besides the navi) was damaged.

It really sucks to have a 3 day old car that now does not seem new at all. What will also suck is the first insurance bill with the new rate increase.
The only thing that worries me, are all the parts that start to rust inside the dashboard and sound system... (not everything is aluminum!)