Sponsored by:

Wiring diagrams?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Wiring diagrams?

Hello folks,
I've seen people modify/rewire their headlights where both outter and inner beams go on at once as opposed to the original one beam at a time.
I have a rewiring diagram for a JDM Mitsubishi Galant (the american versions have single beamed headlights).
I've seen a brochure for the TL from my local Acura dealership where it displays the 2005 Acura TL having both beams on at once, the city and the low/high beams (along with the fog lights). I don't know if the new model has that feature but.. I'm very interested in doing such a mod.

I have a 2004 Acura TL. Was pondering if I should switch to the new headlights with the quad projectors or keep the ones I have now begin further research on the headlights.

Does anyone have any idea how to get both beams on at once?
I plan to have the inner (city lights) on ONLY when I turn on my lowbeams... (outer beams)
Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
hold one a second, what are you trying to do? Do you want the fog's (inner bulb) on along with the high-beams? If so, that is very impractical. There is some scientific reason that the eyes let less light in and visibility is drastically reduced.

OR do you want to have the fog bulb (inner square one) function as a high-beam? If so, its pointless as the HID's are pretty strong with their high-beams on. The TL has a double projector, there is a little flap that opens to let all the light out.

just FYI, the new headlights won't fit and also there are no quad projectors, just an open bulb for the daytime running lights.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

My TL does not have fogs. Our inner lights are our DRLs or city lights.
By quad projectors I mean the dual projectors in one headlight. Two headlights equal 4. Thus I call it 'quad'.

This is how our 2004 headlights work:
Inner [square-ish ones] are our DRLs or City Lights..
The outter [the projector] is our lowbeam... push the lever towards you and you get temporary highbeam.

What I'm trying to achieve is to have OUR DRLs[which as I see is your fogs] on only when my lowbeams are on.
Technically if the DRLs/City is on with the lowbeam, it will be on with the highbeams as well.. But I don't use the highbeams. It's pointless.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong but i thought that 04 TL only have fog lights(which is located in the headlight), low beams and high beams. where are you getting DRLs from. The inner square in my 04 TL is my fog lights or at least thats what the manual says and those can be on with my lowbeam. Oh i just noticed that your in canada so thats why it might be different
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Yes. In Canada it is different. We are required to have DRLs on at all times, unless switching to lowbeams. Thus this is the reason why we do not have our inner headlights as fogs.
In any case, our fogs would be most likely located in the bumper, like the new TLs.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried the whole dual projector headlight because I had some extra M5 projectors lying around and thought it'd be cool to rip apart a junked up headlight off ebay and try to hook it up..... yea well im not gonna try that one only because it'd be a bigger mess than intended.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
I tried the whole dual projector headlight because I had some extra M5 projectors lying around and thought it'd be cool to rip apart a junked up headlight off ebay and try to hook it up..... yea well im not gonna try that one only because it'd be a bigger mess than intended.
I'm not sure why you would attempt to retrofit new headlights into the TL if apparently the newere headlights won't fit the older TLs.

I just got a call from a friend in mechanic school... apparently he says that having both my DRLs and my lowbeams on at once isn't possible with the TL since he claims the DRLs are running on a series-circuit whereas the lowbeams are running on a parallel-circuit... But the thing I don't understand is why not just rewire it and "tricking" the DRLs to come on with the lowbeams so it would turn into a 'series-parallel-combination-circuit'...
Old 02-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by o4Komodo
I'm not sure why you would attempt to retrofit new headlights into the TL if apparently the newere headlights won't fit the older TLs.

I just got a call from a friend in mechanic school... apparently he says that having both my DRLs and my lowbeams on at once isn't possible with the TL since he claims the DRLs are running on a series-circuit whereas the lowbeams are running on a parallel-circuit... But the thing I don't understand is why not just rewire it and "tricking" the DRLs to come on with the lowbeams so it would turn into a 'series-parallel-combination-circuit'...
Hold on a second. Does that mean that you do not have a fog light switch on the headlight stalk?? If not, what you can do is run a cable from the battery to a switch, and run the other end to the DRL's. This way, the DRL's can be powered as fogs at any time you desire. Also you could put on a relay so it will shut off with the ignition off so it won't drain the battery
Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Originally Posted by csmeance
Hold on a second. Does that mean that you do not have a fog light switch on the headlight stalk?? If not, what you can do is run a cable from the battery to a switch, and run the other end to the DRL's. This way, the DRL's can be powered as fogs at any time you desire. Also you could put on a relay so it will shut off with the ignition off so it won't drain the battery
Yeah. Our earlier TLs don't have fogs.. they run as DRLs/city.
Your idea seems good, I might try that. But I don't like having an extra switch in the car, unless I can get a button and place it at the 'empty' spot close to the VSA switch..
However, I was hoping to just use that light-stick-thing ... so when I turn on the lowbeams my DRLs activate as well.