Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Team Anthracite, Janitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield fluid

I cant believe there is no warning light for low fluid level.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
poor baby....
Old 02-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Instructor

You mean you have to lift the hood and look??!!!
That's it, I'm sellin' it.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a warning system, it just doesn't come in the form of a light. Instead they opted for smeared shit all over your windshield...like most cars do.

Do any cars actually come with a warning about windshield washer fluid?
Old 02-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW does.
I just ran out of washer fluid this morning.
I was surprised that there was no warning at all.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

subaru did

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
There is a warning system, it just doesn't come in the form of a light. Instead they opted for smeared shit all over your windshield...like most cars do.

My 4wd subaru wagon had a warning light for the rear washer..

we need warning lights to check your oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, power streering fluid, air in the tires, and did you call your mother on mother's day...

people are getting lazy...
Old 02-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Registered TL User

:ghey:
Old 02-23-2005, 02:14 PM
Computer Techie Geek

i think the canadian model has the warning.

hey canadians .. can you confirm ...

also .. yah ... I wonder why they would leave it out for us US folks ? just cause we are obese and need to work out ?
Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

My old Mazda had it. I'm surprised it's not on the TL, but, then again, my Mazda didn't have a dipstick in the reservoir either.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
We got fog lights, and Canadians got Daytime Running Lights and low washer fluid light, so I guess our lights cost more and they had to save the money somewhere.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Actually, my wife's Jeep Cherokee has one.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm not sure what the point of the dipstick in the washer fluid reservoir is. I just pour in washer fluid until I can hear that it's full (the sound changes when it starts to fill into the narrow fill-pipe neck).
Old 02-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I'm not sure what the point of the dipstick in the washer fluid reservoir is. I just pour in washer fluid until I can hear that it's full (the sound changes when it starts to fill into the narrow fill-pipe neck).
In case you don't remember when the last time you filled it was and how much you used, it will tell you how much fluid is in the reservoir. If it is full you won't have to go and get that watering can or hose nozzle.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Instructor

My last two cars had it -- Pontiac Grand Am and Olds Alero. I really think its a safety issue, and the car should have it.

Same with tire pressure warnings. I can't believe the TL doesn't have it. My Alero did. It doesn't really even require any extra sensors -- just software that can monitor rotation speed differences between the tires using the ABS sensors.

Of course, what I'd really REALLY like from the $20,000 Alero is decent leather seats. And no rattles.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:11 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

My girlfriends Audi A4 does.... waaaay before its close to empty
kind of annoying
Old 02-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by FugittiveTLS`03
My girlfriends Audi A4 does.... waaaay before its close to empty
kind of annoying
So does my friends... Its a little box with water spurting out the top... Looks like a lil water main break on his MID... ROFL
Old 02-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Team Anthracite, Janitor

Hey, once you have the feature, it is really nice. shame to be without and you would think it is something easy
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Instructor

There is a warning system, it just doesn't come in the form of a light. Instead they opted for smeared shit all over your windshield...

BTW AdamNJ... O&A Rule!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by wolftag
My last two cars had it -- Pontiac Grand Am and Olds Alero. I really think its a safety issue, and the car should have it.

Same with tire pressure warnings. I can't believe the TL doesn't have it. My Alero did. It doesn't really even require any extra sensors -- just software that can monitor rotation speed differences between the tires using the ABS sensors.

Of course, what I'd really REALLY like from the $20,000 Alero is decent leather seats. And no rattles.

You never really considered what your TL has that your Alero didn't, did you.
Not to mention, Olds no longer exists, there's a reason for that.

Hell if you want to point out cars that have features the TL doesn't (since the TL is more expensive), lets change it up. Lets say the E320 by MB, about a 50K car, it should have everything the TL has and more. Does it? NO, it doesn't have HIDs from the factory, it doesn't have a sunroof from the factory, it doesn't have DVD-A/XM radio from the factory, and other things. A windshield washer fluid indicator is not a safety issue, nor does it have to be standard on a 33-35K car. The 2006 TL probably will have a TPM system, and actually it is available as an option if you get the 18" wheels.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Every car is a compromise in some way or another. Whether it be in performance, handling, features, whatever. No car has EVERY feature that some people would like to see on their car. As far as I'm concerned, the TL is one of the best, if not the best, COMPROMISES in an ENTRY LEVEL semi-luxury sport sedan. This car is incredible for a car in the $30-35k range. I could care less if it has rain sensing wipers or a little light to tell me if the wiper fluid is low, or a real alarm or, fill in the blank___________. It also doesn't bother me that it has a few little quirks, like an insignificant rattle here or there or that the seats have butt prints or again, fill in the blank_________. We had a Mercedes S55 AMG in our hangar last week that belongs to one of our customers and I went and looked at it and GUESS WHAT??? BUTT PRINTS!!!!
My point is this is an incredible car for the money and you should enjoy every minute of driving it. If these things bother you, then why did you buy it? If they bother you enough, then sell it. If you have problems with the car, take it to the dealer, stand your ground and get them to fix it.
Ok, rant over.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:48 AM
Cruisin'

Bing...My Low washer fluid warning came on this morning. It appears in the information centre the same way an open door or trunk does. It is an orange graphic of a wiper and spray along with the words low washer fluid. I think - I am going from memory here. I did not find it that remarkable so I did not pay much attention.

PS I am in Canada
Old 02-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Talking Well DOH!!!!

Hey Emilio...

Fellow Canuck

FYI... and this is a JK good buddy..

but if you look REAL close... you will see that right under your name..

it tells all the members that you do, in fact, hail from good old

Mississausage..... CANADA...

How's your ride surviving the potholes and salt this winter....

TL42
Old 02-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Team Anthracite, Janitor

Sinced our canadian friends have it, I wonder if it is a possible add-on sensor or if there is software involved also
Old 02-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

incredible....???

Originally Posted by Champcar1
Every car is a compromise in some way or another. Whether it be in performance, handling, features, whatever. No car has EVERY feature that some people would like to see on their car. As far as I'm concerned, the TL is one of the best, if not the best, COMPROMISES in an ENTRY LEVEL semi-luxury sport sedan. This car is incredible for a car in the $30-35k range. I could care less if it has rain sensing wipers or a little light to tell me if the wiper fluid is low, or a real alarm or, fill in the blank___________. It also doesn't bother me that it has a few little quirks, like an insignificant rattle here or there or that the seats have butt prints or again, fill in the blank_________. We had a Mercedes S55 AMG in our hangar last week that belongs to one of our customers and I went and looked at it and GUESS WHAT??? BUTT PRINTS!!!!
My point is this is an incredible car for the money and you should enjoy every minute of driving it. If these things bother you, then why did you buy it? If they bother you enough, then sell it. If you have problems with the car, take it to the dealer, stand your ground and get them to fix it.
Ok, rant over.
I would not call the car incredible that is really a stretch... it is a near luxury car.

It is just as you say a compromise as is every car. Consumer reports list it as avg in some categories. This is avg reliabilty when compared to other cars. As for putting up with rattles and so forth. They might not bug you if you think the car is incredible, but that is where the manudacturers suck you in. If you become forgiving about problems the dealers and the maker will act accordingly. They will add more dodads and not worry about how solid the car is in other areas.

Sure it is nice and exciting especially if you were blown by on many occasions while driving down the highway in your old beater.. The point I am trying to make it that it is a decent product. I would prefer fewer toys and better assembly or materials. Hell I do not mind cheaper materials if the assembly is there.

As for standing your ground, that is a royal pain in the ass. What I want to do is have to stand my ground on issues with a dealer. Now if they had to come to my place of business and deal with me I would perfer that since I would know they are not making any money while at my office...
Old 02-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

incredible....???

Originally Posted by Champcar1
Ok, rant over.
I would not call the car incredible that is really a stretch... it is a near luxury car.

It is just as you say a compromise as is every car. Consumer reports list it as avg in some categories. This is avg reliabilty when compared to other cars. As for putting up with rattles and so forth. They might not bug you if you think the car is incredible, but that is where the manudacturers suck you in. If you become forgiving about problems the dealers and the maker will act accordingly. They will add more dodads and not worry about how solid the car is in other areas.

Sure it is nice and exciting especially if you were blown by on many occasions while driving down the highway in your old beater.. The point I am trying to make it that it is a decent product. I would prefer fewer toys and better assembly or materials. Hell I do not mind cheaper materials if the assembly is there.

As for standing your ground, that is a royal pain in the ass. What I want to do is have to stand my ground on issues with a dealer. Now if they had to come to my place of business and deal with me I would perfer that since I would know they are not making any money while at my office...
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Racer

I heard that if you keep trying to use the windshield fluid without any water will burn the windshield fluid motor out.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Cruisin'

Hi there, I'm Quebecois (!), i.e. from Canada...and yes, we do have this low windshield washer warning....comes out as explained earlier by Emilio...I had this warning yesterday evening, and found it annoying as it beeps you and stay on for quite a while, then goes off...and beeps you again ! In an about 20 minutes drive, I had this warning 3-4 times in a roll, and I haven't figured out how to stop it from re-advising me. One thing is sure, these warnings on our TL are designed so that we have to take care of them (seat belts, low fluid, etc), as they personnally driving me a bit crazy....!
Old 02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pankul

also .. yah ... I wonder why they would leave it out for us US folks ? just cause we are obese and need to work out ?
I am not Canadian but I can tell you that the Canadian Tls come with a low fluid indicator. I think it's a great safety feature and should be on all TLs. Clean windshields = better vision.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

Me again...just want to clarify that I agree with and appreciate these features on our car, but my opinion is that they maybe went a bit too far in the TL...to be warned once is ok, to get this "enveloppe reminder" in the infocenter display is ok, but to keep beeping and warning me every 5 minutes for the same thing with this attractive orange...each time it happens, it distracts me from what I am doing, i.e. driving.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM
Team Anthracite, Janitor

any of you canadians now a tech up your way? I'd like to know if its possible to just add a sensor to the american version. I assume the wiring harness is there with a plug for the sensor...but maybe different resevoir, or software change...I dunno. things to ask a tech though if anyone is willing.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Putting the sensor into the reservois is the easy part. Hooking the sensor up to the MID with all its electronic connections might be the hard part. I don't know if the US MID and the Canadian MID are the same, but if they are different then the US MID probably doesn't have the ideogram for the low washer fluid warning.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Advanced

LOL.

This kind of reminds me of a thread on here a couple of days ago, where someone "desired" a 3rd memory setting for the seat/mirors. Though, admittely, that is a little more ridiculous...I mean, then why stop at 3? Fuck man, just line the door with those buttons.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:48 AM
Instructor

Canadian Model has Low Windshield Light

Originally Posted by Pankul

Yes, the Canadian model has a low windshield fluid light that goes on when there is low fluid in the container.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,130 Likes on 2,566 Posts
The first generation Acura Legend had 3 memory settings for the seat memory.

Originally Posted by RhythmAddict
LOL.

This kind of reminds me of a thread on here a couple of days ago, where someone "desired" a 3rd memory setting for the seat/mirors. Though, admittely, that is a little more ridiculous...I mean, then why stop at 3? Fuck man, just line the door with those buttons.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Team Anthracite, Janitor

Originally Posted by Ron A
Putting the sensor into the reservois is the easy part. Hooking the sensor up to the MID with all its electronic connections might be the hard part. I don't know if the US MID and the Canadian MID are the same, but if they are different then the US MID probably doesn't have the ideogram for the low washer fluid warning.
I figured the harness with sensor plug would already be there waiting for a sensor. maybe that is over simplifying, but if it were that easy, I would make the mod in a heartbeat.