Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint - Vertical and Horizontal Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:09 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint - Vertical and Horizontal Scratches

I had my tint done on my 05 Acura TL less than a month ago. I've had the windows up and down plenty of times and on the windows I've just recently noticed alot of scratches on one window. I know about the moleskin install and I am going to do that but my question to you guys is that what is causing the horizontal scratches?? (I know dirt buildup, rocks etc... can cause vertical scratches) They are about 5-6 inches long (3 or 4 of them). I tried to take pictures but they are not visible in the picture.

Some more information about the window... They screwed up the first time and i saw alot of scratches (horizontal) on the film after the install so I had them redo it and after that I didn't see any scratches. Is it possible that these horizontal scratches are their fault? Thanks for any help/input.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:31 PM
VS#03

Yeah it is there fault, they didn't used moleskin on your windows. Take it back, get a refund and go to a tint installer that is with the times on tint. If you are NY or the tri-state area, check out (www.lorenzotint.com).
Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

scratches and no mole skin go hand in hand.............something to do with the multiple materials (plactic,vinyl,metal)used in the door
Old 06-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
Yeah it is there fault, they didn't used moleskin on your windows. Take it back, get a refund and go to a tint installer that is with the times on tint. If you are NY or the tri-state area, check out (www.lorenzotint.com).
tinters don't really have to use moleskin if you don't specify so its not their fault you got the scratches(vertical ones) and most tinters have 1 yr to lifetime warantees so im pretty sure you can get them redone. but the horizontal oness have to be their fault i can't think of any reason rolling ur window up and down can cause those.and by the way lorenzos is teh best place in NY to get your tints. very professional. i dont have a 3gen TL but i know that he uses moleskin. but i have had 2 cars tinted their and i am satisfied everytime. well worth what he charges. i know that 3gen TLs its 350 and 2Gen TLs its 250. just my
Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 AM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no moleskin = teh scratch
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DBone1526
I had my tint done on my 05 Acura TL less than a month ago. I've had the windows up and down plenty of times and on the windows I've just recently noticed alot of scratches on one window. I know about the moleskin install and I am going to do that but my question to you guys is that what is causing the horizontal scratches?? (I know dirt buildup, rocks etc... can cause vertical scratches) They are about 5-6 inches long (3 or 4 of them). I tried to take pictures but they are not visible in the picture.

Some more information about the window... They screwed up the first time and i saw alot of scratches (horizontal) on the film after the install so I had them redo it and after that I didn't see any scratches. Is it possible that these horizontal scratches are their fault? Thanks for any help/input.
The verticle scratches come from no Moleskin/felt. If you don't request it and in some cases you don't pay extra for it, you can't really blame the window tint shop. I've been tinting for about 7 years and the first car I ever had to install any type felt or moleskin was on a TSX. Never ever ever had a problem ever before with that issue till the TSX and 3rd gen TL came around. So you can't blame the tint shop for Acura's manufacturing defect.

However!!! The Horizontal scratches may be the window tint shops fault. Most tinters use a final squeegie process called "Maxing." You use a hard rubber squeegie called a "blue max." When you "max" it you normally push all the water from left to right, and if the "blue max" is old, and if it has any type of knicks on the edge that touches the film, it will in fact scratch the film in a horizontal pattern. Look closely at your back window to see if there are horizontal scratches in the back window as well. If there are, then they did it when maxing. If the horizontal scratches are only on the doors, then there is a chance that you or your passengers may have done it. Don't wait too long to add the felt or the scratches will get bad enough to where you can see them from the outside of the car. I saw a 3rd gen TL this weekend at a local meet that scratches so bad that you could see a handful of them from the outside of the car.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
5th Gear

Ok....I haven't been able to get ahold of the people that tinted my car but I've called 3-4 other window tinters and they said they never heard about applying moleskin! (and they wouldn't do it) . I'd do it myself if I had the confidence. Has anyone had this installed in the Cleveland , OH or Columbus, OH areas??
Old 06-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
It's super easy DBone, look at the DIY I just did.

http://www.sah2o.com/pimpin/DIY/
Old 06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Guinea Pig

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
It's super easy DBone, look at the DIY I just did.

http://www.sah2o.com/pimpin/DIY/
Great write up, but... It looks like he only installed the moleskin/felt on the top piece of rubber. Both the top and the bottom piece should be covered since they both touch the window. I'm gonna have to say that there is a good chance that he will still see scratches since he only moleskinned 1 of the 2 parts that touch the window.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CJams
Great write up, but... It looks like he only installed the moleskin/felt on the top piece of rubber. Both the top and the bottom piece should be covered since they both touch the window. I'm gonna have to say that there is a good chance that he will still see scratches since he only moleskinned 1 of the 2 parts that touch the window.
Look again. It is on both. I did the write up.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

Both are covered.

Old 06-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Guinea Pig

Ah ha! Good job!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:46 AM
VS#03

Originally Posted by azninvazion
tinters don't really have to use moleskin if you don't specify so its not their fault you got the scratches(vertical ones) and most tinters have 1 yr to lifetime warantees so im pretty sure you can get them redone. but the horizontal oness have to be their fault i can't think of any reason rolling ur window up and down can cause those.and by the way lorenzos is teh best place in NY to get your tints. very professional. i dont have a 3gen TL but i know that he uses moleskin. but i have had 2 cars tinted their and i am satisfied everytime. well worth what he charges. i know that 3gen TLs its 350 and 2Gen TLs its 250. just my
For your FYI.....a tinter should be up to date on what vehicles have to use moleskin. Tinting is skilled craft profession and if this is your bread & butter, you should be knowledgeable. Horizontal & vertical.....it's there fault due to no moleskins. The only comment I agree with, Lorenzo's is the best in the tri-state area.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
first thing I'll do with my new TL is to get it tinted.
so is it a MUST to have moleskin installed as well for our 3rd gen TL?

where can I buy moleskin?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Ur Mutha She Stinks!!

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
For your FYI.....a tinter should be up to date on what vehicles have to use moleskin. Tinting is skilled craft profession and if this is your bread & butter, you should be knowledgeable. Horizontal & vertical.....it's there fault due to no moleskins. The only comment I agree with, Lorenzo's is the best in the tri-state area.
i agree wiht you on everything thats why it depends on where you go. thats why i say lorenzo's is the best. when i got my 03 TL-S tinted before i could even mention the dot matrix on teh back window he was like oh yea by the way we wet sand it and just tint over it. i guess the tinter the original poster went to was not up to par.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:28 AM
VS#03

Originally Posted by azninvazion
i agree wiht you on everything thats why it depends on where you go. thats why i say lorenzo's is the best. when i got my 03 TL-S tinted before i could even mention the dot matrix on teh back window he was like oh yea by the way we wet sand it and just tint over it. i guess the tinter the original poster went to was not up to par.
My bagged.....I apologized for being short with you. Where having a Acurazine Meet at Ross Deck Park July 17 @1200 pm. Go to Acurazine Meets Forum and check it out.
Kevin
Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Do you guys know where we can purchase moleskin in stores? i saw some at Lowes but they were very thick and rough and not long enough
Old 06-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Burning Brakes

no one? I kind of messed up on mine