Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tint Nightmare!!! PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:10 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint Nightmare!!! PICS!!!

I recently took my 04 TL to a friend of a friend who has the best window tinter in the state working for him...He did a GREAT job with the tint, but I guess when he was using his squeegy, he cut/tore up my leather on the door panel, near the window...I've shown it to the guy and he has another exotic interior guy who can fix this...my only concern is can he find the same exact leather to match up with mine interior?? Does Acura sell the leather to that top portion of the door panel? I took it into the Acura deal and they wanted to replace the entire door panel, which because this was on all four doors, is like $2000!! Plus labor. So this guy wants me to give his interior guy a chance...do you think he can find this leather?

The reason a squeegy cut, and tore this leather is because behind the leather at the top of the door panel in the spot here where its cut/torn, underneath is quite sharp piece of metal...pretty stupid to have it there with no padding...cause I could have torn/cut it if I had my own pressure on it, it just so happens that his squeegy did it...(so I think).

Here are some pics:

Look near the glare up on the right...

See the line all the way across and then the tear on the right...

More problems...

This just made me sick...

Why did it do this?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
pics do not show
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Racer

wow, all those cuts in the leater look like red x's...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:24 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

You can't see the CUTS? Are you kidding? Seriously you don't see any damage there?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM
6MT & LSD

I don't even see any red x's...

Tinters also use utility knives and other blades... I doubt the rubber/plastic squeegee could do any damage.

As far as replacement goes, see what kind of aftermarket/custom job they can offer. Unless they use OEM replacement parts and do a damn good job, the dealership may notice it later, and may refuse to cover the area under warranty later on.

I feel bad for ya... I'm sure it'll work out, though.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:37 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Apparently the place I put the pics didn't like me sharing them! I'll repost them eslewhere...but in the mean time, I know the tinter used knives blades, but this was from the squeegy pressing up against the leather, and whats underneath the leather. If you feel in the spot where these cuts are, you'll feel how sharp the piece is underneath the leather...you could actually apply some pressure with your hand and maybe cut it yourself...thats what happened here, we suspect. He said he didn't use any blades on the inside of the car, he cut the tint from tracing the outside of the window.

Pictures are really coming next...
Old 08-10-2005, 10:41 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Real Good Pictures...

Tinter Damage Picture 1

Tinter Damage Picture 2

Tinter Damage Picture 3

Tinter Damage Picture 4

Tinter Damage Picture 5
Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

I don't know how they would do something like that if they're pro's. The real pro's will cut everything on the outside to match up your windows and then apply it on the inside. I hope everything works out for you though.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by crxb
pics do not show

I see the pics on the 2nd link

awful!

They just need to replace em w/ factory parts and make it right

I wouldn't settle for anything less
Old 08-10-2005, 11:01 AM
6MT & LSD

He just said the tinter told him he cut the film on the outside of the window, SilverUA5.

I don't know why the dude even touched that part, though...

I hope they do a good job and use OEM parts... I'd be pissed if it ever wrinkled/bubbled up or something.

Keep us posted and let us know if we can help in anyway.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Sorry to see this man...is the tinter covering everything? He should and it should be factory match up
Old 08-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I would post this on www.tintdude.com and get opinions from other tinters. If it were me, I don't think they can match the leather 100%. Dye lots change etc.. Color, grain, texture and gloss level may prove to be difficult to match.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
ouch, tinter should definetly pay for replacement
Old 08-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Instructor

I had something actually similar happen when my windows were tined at the Acura dealership in Scottsdale, AZ. No cuts but more like an area that was "pinched" on the passenger side rear door. Acura just replaced the door panel area.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Window Tinter here!!! First off I gotta say, this sucks! Sorry it happened to ya.

By looking at the pics I can tell he cut the film before he layed it in the car. When he did the final Squeegie with his "Blue Max" (the hardest squeegie), he applied pressure evenly along the bottom of the window on the inside, thats when the cuts took place. And since it was at the bottom it's probably somtehing you can't see from the inside with the windows up, so I'd bet he didn't see it before it left his shop, since you're suppose to keep your windows up for 48 hours after.

Has anyone else had this problem with their TL?

Solution:
This is a tuff one! The tinter did what he normally does to every other car in the world. He could have avoided it by not applying as much pressure towards the bottom of your window. So it does kinda fall under his responsability for it. But then again, once it's fixed, will it happen again if you happen to apply pressure to that spot somehow? Then it may fall on Acura to correct the problem.

I have accidentaly damaged a leather interior before and paid to have it repaired (always be aware of the direction your heat gun is pointed). A good leather repairman should be able to hook up those little cuts to the point no-one will notice them (except you). Should be fairly inexpensive. Max $100-200.

I say get it repaired by a leather guy, since that is his specialty. He should have the correct match for it. For now the windo tinter should have to payfor it though. If it happens again, take it to Acura and say give me new door panels!

Once again, sorry to hear about it and good luck!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Awful story. The cuts look worse than the red x's!

Hope everything works out for the best.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Decisions Decisions...

Originally Posted by CJams
Window Tinter here!!! First off I gotta say, this sucks! Sorry it happened to ya.

By looking at the pics I can tell he cut the film before he layed it in the car. When he did the final Squeegie with his "Blue Max" (the hardest squeegie), he applied pressure evenly along the bottom of the window on the inside, thats when the cuts took place. And since it was at the bottom it's probably somtehing you can't see from the inside with the windows up, so I'd bet he didn't see it before it left his shop, since you're suppose to keep your windows up for 48 hours after.

Has anyone else had this problem with their TL?

Solution:
This is a tuff one! The tinter did what he normally does to every other car in the world. He could have avoided it by not applying as much pressure towards the bottom of your window. So it does kinda fall under his responsability for it. But then again, once it's fixed, will it happen again if you happen to apply pressure to that spot somehow? Then it may fall on Acura to correct the problem.

I have accidentaly damaged a leather interior before and paid to have it repaired (always be aware of the direction your heat gun is pointed). A good leather repairman should be able to hook up those little cuts to the point no-one will notice them (except you). Should be fairly inexpensive. Max $100-200.

I say get it repaired by a leather guy, since that is his specialty. He should have the correct match for it. For now the windo tinter should have to payfor it though. If it happens again, take it to Acura and say give me new door panels!

Once again, sorry to hear about it and good luck!

You are right, thats exactly what I think happned...just too much pressure with his tool...and you are right only see it really when the windows are rolled down, except that 3rd picture which shows the passenger side front, you can see that and the back seat passenger from inside with windows up or down...rest of the doors have to be down to see it.

So do you think I should have Acura replace this with the warranty? Seeing that the tinter did nothing wrong really? Someone told me this part was Vinyl not Leather, is this true?

The tinter is going to pay some interior guy to fix it...but I leery of this again.
I have the quote for the 4 new panels, $500 each, $2000 total plus $250 labor.

Thats really what I want done, but thats a lot of money when the rest of the doors are fine...what should I do?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Obviously, you should get your Acura dealership to do the repair and charge it to the guy who did the tinting. Don't settle for anything less.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Hi
I really don't see a big deal out of this. Perhaps you can't really tell much from the picture, you kind of have to really look at it to tell a slight difference?? Best of luck to you and hope you can resolve this matter without too much frustration.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:10 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Thats what I'm thinking, but because he's a friend of a friend, I was going to see what his interior guy could do, but I'm so anal, I'd feel much better if it were the factory stuff...

I think I'll try that and see what he says.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:17 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
Hi
I really don't see a big deal out of this. Perhaps you can't really tell much from the picture, you kind of have to really look at it to tell a slight difference?? Best of luck to you and hope you can resolve this matter without too much frustration.

Look at the links not the first set of pics they are too small.
You can see this if you look at the doors...its easy.

Its a big deal if the shoe were on your foot!