Sponsored by:

Will front of car support a jack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:40 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will front of car support a jack?

On my 96 Accord, I had a mounting point for a jack in the center about a foot behind the front bumper. I used this to lift the front of the car and put my jack stands on the sides just behind the front wheels.

Is there any point on the front of the TL where I can jack from?

I need to get the front of the car off the ground so I can get my jack stands under the side points, but can't find a sturdy place to jack from...
Old 12-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The TL has a jack point in the center. I think it's detailed in the manual.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ITL
On my 96 Accord, I had a mounting point for a jack in the center about a foot behind the front bumper. I used this to lift the front of the car and put my jack stands on the sides just behind the front wheels.

Is there any point on the front of the TL where I can jack from?

I need to get the front of the car off the ground so I can get my jack stands under the side points, but can't find a sturdy place to jack from...
There is the same thing on the TL as the Accord - it is under the front crossmember. And yes of course, it can easily support the car. It is covered in the manual.

????
Old 12-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
The TL has a jack point in the center. I think it's detailed in the manual.
I noticed you are from Norton, MA as am I!! What are the odds of having two TLs in a small town like Norton and have them both be members of this site??
Old 12-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
This will tell you how to raise your car off the ground. Courtesy of the famous 3G Garage.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
I noticed you are from Norton, MA as am I!! What are the odds of having two TLs in a small town like Norton and have them both be members of this site??
Pretty funny. Before I got my RRP, I never saw one in the area. Not too long ago, I was at the Stop and Shop in Attleboro and one was parked 2 rows over.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
This brings up a question of which I would like comments. When you take a car in for tire replacements, they nearly always place the four floor jack lift supports under the car instead of using the jack points shown in our manuals along the sides of the car. When would you instruct them to place their lift supports?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:43 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by Road Rage
There is the same thing on the TL as the Accord - it is under the front crossmember. And yes of course, it can easily support the car. It is covered in the manual.

????
Thanks djlandkpl and RR,

Hmmm...I checked it out when I first got the car and never saw it.

I shoulda RTFM...I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:06 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
This brings up a question of which I would like comments. When you take a car in for tire replacements, they nearly always place the four floor jack lift supports under the car instead of using the jack points shown in our manuals along the sides of the car. When would you instruct them to place their lift supports?
See above link to the garage, the Acura has two jack points (front and back) and 4 lift points (which can also be used for jack stands or as a single jacking point for flat tire changes etc.) If you're saying they are using those lift points that should be fine, if not, then where are they placing the lift?
Old 12-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Yes, I've seen the jack and lift points in my Service Manual. But have you ever noticed that when you take your car in for new tires, the person doing the work positions the floor lift under other areas under your car.. like suspension components or parts of the subframe?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:53 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Yes, I've seen the jack and lift points in my Service Manual. But have you ever noticed that when you take your car in for new tires, the person doing the work positions the floor lift under other areas under your car.. like suspension components or parts of the subframe?
No, I've never seen that. They always lift the car using the 4 jack points on the side of the car.

The manual's 6 jack points are the ONLY places where your car should be safely jacked.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:20 PM
professional TL driver

i have seen them lift like that before, normally its some young kid that doesnt know any better. the four arms of the lift are swung under the car at like 45 degree angles and then they just raise it up.... i have stopped them from lifting my contour before like that, have never had to have the tl lifted as of yet (in a shop at least).....
Old 12-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
No, I've never seen that. They always lift the car using the 4 jack points on the side of the car.

The manual's 6 jack points are the ONLY places where your car should be safely jacked.

You never know... My G35 has the same jacking points all around as my wife's TL. But everyone (including the dealer) swears up and down, that you can lift/hold the car using the frame rails, which are located about 4 inches inside of the side jack points, and up about 2 inches. I'm pretty sure the TL has the same frame rails... If you've ever seen a picture of a car frame without a body on it, the beam that runs along the sides, is the frame rail.

That being said, I think the side jack points are pretty universal. Everytime I go to the tire shop, I like watching them work on the cars. I usually see them always looking under the car, and adjusting the location of the lift beam, sometimes putting on a padded adapter.