3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't Acura get same respect as Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get too hung up on brand image I suppose. The reason that I bought an Acura over the similarly priced BMW (and others) is:
  1. BMW - Too many of them, and in SoCal too many USC LP frames (Go Bruins!), poor quality (refer to JD Powers and Consumer Reports)
  2. C320 - Options make it far too expensive, too slow, poor quality (refer to JD Powers and Consumer Reports).
  3. 300C - Man, I love this car... but it's a Chrysler... I just can't get over the quality-thing.
I know that TLs have some minor rattle problems, but so did my 99 Solara when I bought it the first year that it came out. These are, IMHO, monir issues due to a new model line launch and not a "quality issue" per se, just workin' out the kinks. The reality for me is that I can drive the crap out of my TL and it, within reason, will never break. On the other hand, my Moms has a BMW 3 - series and has had it in the shop multiple times in the first two years of ownership. Good warranty? Big woop. I wanna drive, MY car, when I want to, without any fear of the thing breaking on me and going back to the shop, again.

I drove my Solara for over 100k miles, and after the first few issues during the first 2 months, the car NEVER broke on me. I changed the oil and maintained it normally and it always ran great. I expect the same from the TL. Yeah, it's a Honda with a bow in it's hair, but who cares? I love the car, it looks great, and have a great time driving it.

Thus endith my rant...
Old 05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RUF87
My biggest gripe is that quality is not what Acura used to be known for.

For me to buy a Lexus I would have to really love the looks and performance to justify their premium price. Not worth it to me . . . and I think a lot of folks buy labels . . . just look at the clothes people buy. A lot of items come from the same source and they just sew on the label. It was a real eye opener when I saw a show on this some years ago. They were making shirts and pants at this place and had boxes of various labels that were used for the same run of jeans.

Ruf
I think those boxes of label are sewn on clothes that end up on the streets of New York and Counterfeit-ville. This is off the subject but, if you look at some of the quality of the higher end clothes, you can definitely see and feel the difference.

In contrast to cars, Acuras and Lexus has completely different market. As someone noted earlier, has anyone seen a modded pimped out Toyota/ Lexus ES? Has anyone seen a luxurious Acura TL sitting in a nice country club? Thats why i Love Hondas/Acuras! On one end of the spectrum you can have a pimped out, modded Honda that can run with the best of them and on the other end you can pimp it to palm springs golf course. Gotta Love Honda! I just wish they would put in an 8.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Advanced

A base model . . . once I equip it with the options it's $40k.
That's MSRP. You can usually get one for a lot less. Lexus dealers are more willing to negotiate than Acura dealers, generally speaking.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gtgrad95
That's MSRP. You can usually get one for a lot less. Lexus dealers are more willing to negotiate than Acura dealers, generally speaking.
Ok, so I get the Lexus guy to knock off $3k and I get the Acura guy to knock off a $1k, . . . . so I'm still around $4k diff. And unless I'm after plushness and image . . . why spend the extra money?

Ruf
Old 05-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TL-N
I think those boxes of label are sewn on clothes that end up on the streets of New York and Counterfeit-ville. This is off the subject but, if you look at some of the quality of the higher end clothes, you can definitely see and feel the difference.

In contrast to cars, Acuras and Lexus has completely different market. As someone noted earlier, has anyone seen a modded pimped out Toyota/ Lexus ES? Has anyone seen a luxurious Acura TL sitting in a nice country club? Thats why i Love Hondas/Acuras! On one end of the spectrum you can have a pimped out, modded Honda that can run with the best of them and on the other end you can pimp it to palm springs golf course. Gotta Love Honda! I just wish they would put in an 8.
If you are talking the knock-offs, then yes. But go compare other top brands and their pricing is 40-50% less than Polo, Tommy Hilfiger etc . . . I just bought some pants and shirts at Foley's just last night. So I'm not talking about stuff that ends up in knock-off shops.

Ruf
Old 05-13-2005, 05:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sufall96
A 2005 IS300(5 speed) has a starting price of $30,280.
I was talking about 2006 IS350
Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think i've heard of Porshe!! I have one sitting in my garage with 6 cylinders pushing 315 hp also known as the 911.

Have you heard of the Carrera GT? Its got 10 cylinders pushing a little over 600hp. Or have you ever heard of the new Cayenne? Thats got an 8 cylinders pushing about 350 or so horses.

Whats Acura have? An NSX with 6 cylinders pushing almost 300 hp.

Dont get me wrong, i'm a Honda guy, with the exception of my Porshe, Honda's are all i own. What im saying is Honda needs to push at least an 8 to hold on. Look at Porshe, "a compnay that has built it's name off of 6 cylinders," they eventually went with an 8 and even a 10.
Just curious, you own one but don't know how to spell "Porsche" ??
That strikes me as odd.......
Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Just curious, you own one but don't know how to spell "Porsche" ??
That strikes me as odd.......
True, that would normally strike me as odd too, but thats what quick typing and lack of proof reading does.

Are my specs correct?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:20 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
True, that would normally strike me as odd too, but thats what quick typing and lack of proof reading does.

Are my specs correct?

I want the GT, but my income would have to triple,,,, and I would have to live in it.....
Old 05-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
I want the GT, but my income would have to triple,,,, and I would have to live in it.....
Yeah, the 911 gets me looking forward to the W/E's! But the TL keeps me cravin during the week!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree that Lexus has not earned my respect - thankfully, my Acura considers to satsify me as a car, as opposed to a rolling nauseleum -I mean, mausoleum.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Racer

same reason they dont get the same respect as bmw,infiniti, benz, etc. its just an acura.