3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't Acura get same respect as Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This thread=
Lexus is superior to Acura is almost everyway possible. We are not talking TL vs Lexus. We are talking Brand for Brand. Since boths inception;
Looking at Acura, they entered the market first in 1986 but were never considred luxury until the 2nd gen Legend. The 1st gen Legend won Import Car of the Year. Since then, I don't think any Acura has ever won an award from a magazine. Acura never intended to fight Benz or BMW head on. Acura was a brand created for people to have a nice Honda to move up too.
Lexus on the other hand spent $1 billion on the 1st gen LS 400 alone to compete head to head with BMW and Benz. The funny thing is they laughed it off. Lexus became the #1 selling import brand in 3 YEARS!
Now Lexus is revered and the term "Lexus-Like" comes to mind with luxury, isolation, customer service etc. The LS 400 was voted one of the 100 most important cars ever created. Nice start!
Lexus is the best selling and the highest quality car out there. This is a fact.
The SC 300/400 were import car of the year, 6 time Automobile picks, etc etc.

The car companies are on 2 different wavelengths.
LExus is sold worldwide. Finally in 2006, in Japan as well.
Acura is ONLY sold in the United States.

That right here is a HUGE difference.

If you look at the lineups, you will see the 2 really don't compete head to head. Lexus goes after BMW and Benz. Acura is still a car for Honda owners to move up too.
RSX 20k-nothing
TSX 27k-niothing
TL 35k IS 300/ES 300 35k
MDX 40k RX 330 40k
nothing-GS 300 40-45k
nothing-GX 470 50k
RL 50k-nothing
nothing-GS430-50-55k (V-8)
nothing-LS 430 (55-70k)
nothing-LX 470(70k)
nothing-SC 430 (65k)
NSX 90k-nothing

Looking at the cars sold currently, Acura offers the new V-6 only RL and NSX over 40k.
Luxury cars are determined at 40k and up. Lexus offers 5 cars above 40k.

Even looking at popular culture, i.e celebrities, atheletes, musicians, they do not buy Acuras. They buy Benzs, Lexus and BMWs. Those real wealthy ones don't fock around and buy Ferraris, Bentley's etc.
Shoot just listen to any rap song (what is now the top selling music). Acura is never mentioned.

Lexus has the highest rated car plants in history for quality. Lexus understands one of their main sellng points is quality.

Lexus has made mistakes. The ES 250 was literally a rebadged Camry. The 1st gen GS 300 did not offer a V-8 and sold poorly (hello Acura, u watching?).

9,000 deposits are made for a 42k RX 400h Hybrid. That is unheard of for such an expensive car.

If you go to the Acura website and go to the Lexus websites on awards and accolades, there is no comparison. I don't want to cut and paste it again.

Acura does make good cars. They have woken up from that silly 1994-2000 period. Their lineup is a great improvement. The Tl is one of the best new cars out there period from any brand.
Unbelieveable, This diatribe actually makes sense and is right on! Specially the last part!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to own a Cadillac CTS and people were enamored by the crest and wreath. People typically overestimated the car's value by 15k and it was the center of attention everywhere I went, sparking conversations at gas stations and car washes...which is why I finally got rid of it.

Now, the CTS was very well built and exceeded my expectations of what an American luxury car could be, but in the end it was way too gaudy for my taste. Additionally, Cadillac's service sucked and the interior was downright ugly.

When I made the switch to Acura I was surprised that people couldn't understand my reasoning. I'm fine with Acura's brand recognition where it is because I want to blend in and be unassuming but I also think that it's a shame that Acura doesn't have the mystique of other brands despite amazing vehicles like the TL, MDX and all-new RL.

Part of the problem does seem to be the downmarket RSX. I just don't understand why that car isn't badged as a Honda - it's target demographic would still buy it. I also think that a line of cars that offer no options makes the entire brand seem a little boring. Basically if you've seen one TL/RL/MDX/NSX/TSX you've seen them all. My Cadillac was specially ordered and built for me based on my color and option preferences and it was unique. My RRP/Camel Navi TL is beautiful, but there's thousands EXACTLY like it because they're built as one-size-fits-all vehicles.

Lastly, I never see any cool Acura commercials on TV. Where's the advertising? How can you create lust for a brand when the brand is invisible in every aspect?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Personal opinion is all this is. In my experience, the quality of the experience you get, is dependent on your dealer/city. For example, the Lexus dealer in Portland, is by far the rudest dealership I've ever been to. They actually told me to "Get out of the car, there are serious customers that want to look at the car. "

I then started looking at the paint to inspect for Orange Peel, and they scolded me yet again about possibly damaging the paint. When I inquired about a test drive, they declined and implied that I was a typical "spoiled asian teen getting mommy and daddy to buy me a car", even though I was married, in my mid 20's, and for the record my parents don't make much money. They also said, "We are not in the business of letting people come in here and joyride in our vehicles". I had to contain my wife, she almost went ballistic in there.

Ron Tonkin acura of portland was almost as bad at first. (This was right after the Lexus dealer, as it's across the street) I was looking at the engine of the TL, and the salesman came out, and practically shut the hood on my head, and said they need to show the car to a potential customer. My wife was furious, and when I wasn't looking, actually complained to the general manager. She was only looking for an apology, but they actually fired the salesman in question. (My wife actually didn't believe they were serious and called to check on it after a few weeks, and they verified he no longer works their). Ever since, the salesman at that dealership have been super nice, when I came back to make an offer on the TL, and recently an MDX.

I know Acura of Seattle, looks to be really nice. They say they have free internet access in the customer lounge/waiting area, free donuts, etc.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This thread=
Lexus is superior to Acura is almost everyway possible. We are not talking TL vs Lexus. We are talking Brand for Brand. Since boths inception;
Looking at Acura, they entered the market first in 1986 but were never considred luxury until the 2nd gen Legend. The 1st gen Legend won Import Car of the Year. Since then, I don't think any Acura has ever won an award from a magazine. Acura never intended to fight Benz or BMW head on. Acura was a brand created for people to have a nice Honda to move up too.
Lexus on the other hand spent $1 billion on the 1st gen LS 400 alone to compete head to head with BMW and Benz. The funny thing is they laughed it off. Lexus became the #1 selling import brand in 3 YEARS!
Now Lexus is revered and the term "Lexus-Like" comes to mind with luxury, isolation, customer service etc. The LS 400 was voted one of the 100 most important cars ever created. Nice start!
Lexus is the best selling and the highest quality car out there. This is a fact.
The SC 300/400 were import car of the year, 6 time Automobile picks, etc etc.

The car companies are on 2 different wavelengths.
LExus is sold worldwide. Finally in 2006, in Japan as well.
Acura is ONLY sold in the United States.

That right here is a HUGE difference.

If you look at the lineups, you will see the 2 really don't compete head to head. Lexus goes after BMW and Benz. Acura is still a car for Honda owners to move up too.
RSX 20k-nothing
TSX 27k-niothing
TL 35k IS 300/ES 300 35k
MDX 40k RX 330 40k
nothing-GS 300 40-45k
nothing-GX 470 50k
RL 50k-nothing
nothing-GS430-50-55k (V-8)
nothing-LS 430 (55-70k)
nothing-LX 470(70k)
nothing-SC 430 (65k)
NSX 90k-nothing

Looking at the cars sold currently, Acura offers the new V-6 only RL and NSX over 40k.
Luxury cars are determined at 40k and up. Lexus offers 5 cars above 40k.

Even looking at popular culture, i.e celebrities, atheletes, musicians, they do not buy Acuras. They buy Benzs, Lexus and BMWs. Those real wealthy ones don't fock around and buy Ferraris, Bentley's etc.
Shoot just listen to any rap song (what is now the top selling music). Acura is never mentioned.

Lexus has the highest rated car plants in history for quality. Lexus understands one of their main sellng points is quality.

Lexus has made mistakes. The ES 250 was literally a rebadged Camry. The 1st gen GS 300 did not offer a V-8 and sold poorly (hello Acura, u watching?).

9,000 deposits are made for a 42k RX 400h Hybrid. That is unheard of for such an expensive car.

If you go to the Acura website and go to the Lexus websites on awards and accolades, there is no comparison. I don't want to cut and paste it again.

Acura does make good cars. They have woken up from that silly 1994-2000 period. Their lineup is a great improvement. The Tl is one of the best new cars out there period from any brand.

Oh your back.....I do agree that the Lexus & Acura are in to different categories....and if Lexus is the best selling car out there how come i never see them? I see plenty of BMW and MB driving around. And as for celebrities, atheletes and musicians buying Lexus they do not. (well maybe one or soo but i dont no who it is) They buy Benzs, BMWs, Ferraris and Bentley's.

I watch MTV's cribs and never recall anyone showing of There Lexus....Theres many successful people out there and none i see driving a Lexus, weather its on TV or in person....Lexus hasent been populor in my opinion sense 97-ish. Oh and successful people wouldn't probable drive Acura ether. So were both in the same boat!!!!
But Lexus does put them together well, just ugly as hell....
Old 10-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ward148
Oh your back.....I do agree that the Lexus & Acura are in to different categories....and if Lexus is the best selling car out there how come i never see them? I see plenty of BMW and MB driving around. And as for celebrities, atheletes and musicians buying Lexus they do not. (well maybe one or soo but i dont no who it is) They buy Benzs, BMWs, Ferraris and Bentley's.

I watch MTV's cribs and never recall anyone showing of There Lexus....Theres many successful people out there and none i see driving a Lexus, weather its on TV or in person....Lexus hasent been populor in my opinion sense 97-ish. Oh and successful people wouldn't probable drive Acura ether. So were both in the same boat!!!!
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... And it's time for you to turn on the spelling and grammar checker
Old 10-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 04tlnbppar
When you bring your Acura for service, you would realize that it's just another Honda car. All Lexus are made in Japen. Acura are made in US except TSX that's why it has less problems.
First off, your blanket statement about where Acura/Lexus makes their cars is WRONG:

Of the 6 Acura models, 4 (TSX, RSX, RL, and NSX) are built in Japan. TL is US and MDX is Canada.
Of the 8 Lexus models, the RX recently started production in Canada.

Secondly, GM and DC have better initial quality rankings than Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Suzuki. Manufacturing processes and quality controls vary more from company to company than from different locations of manufacture. See the JDPower 2004 Initial Quality Survey Results

Both Acura and Lexus sell quality products but their target audiences are different. Lexus has a more upscale product line and they charge a premium for their vehicles that is out of reach for many that can afford an Acura product.

Also, I must admit that Lexus' after-sales service is superior to that of Acura. I find that very often, Acura service advisors are less than helpful and loaners are unavailable or waiting-list only. Lexus service shops have directives from corporate offices to make repair service and satisfaction a priority or else sanctions will occur. This only one example of the difference between Lexus' and Acura's overall corporate paradigm and is reflected in the customer's experience.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by 04tlnbppar
When you bring your Acura for service, you would realize that it's just another Honda car. All Lexus are made in Japen. Acura are made in US except TSX that's why it has less problems.
Sorry to burst your bubble here... also sorry to be in the 3rd generation side of the forum, just checking on whats new with the TL... anyways... your 1st generation brother's here on the forum have some interesting news... lol... TL fully built in Japan from 1995 to 1998 ... just thought you all like to know... and to clear that up... Oh and about Acura being just another Honda car... try buying parts from the Honda dealership for your Acura... LOL...

Originally Posted by caha14
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... And it's time for you to turn on the spelling and grammar checker
Last time i checked this wasn't english class...lol... and yes i agree... beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... now that in bold has to be the highlight of this thread... because it is true... as long as its good for you then its for you... Also, its been a while since i've heard the word "checker" lol... havn't played that game in a while...
Old 10-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brokedoc
First off, your blanket statement about where Acura/Lexus makes their cars is WRONG:

Of the 6 Acura models, 4 (TSX, RSX, RL, and NSX) are built in Japan. TL is US and MDX is Canada.
Of the 8 Lexus models, the RX recently started production in Canada.

Secondly, GM and DC have better initial quality rankings than Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Suzuki. Manufacturing processes and quality controls vary more from company to company than from different locations of manufacture. See the JDPower 2004 Initial Quality Survey Results

Both Acura and Lexus sell quality products but their target audiences are different. Lexus has a more upscale product line and they charge a premium for their vehicles that is out of reach for many that can afford an Acura product.

Also, I must admit that Lexus' after-sales service is superior to that of Acura. I find that very often, Acura service advisors are less than helpful and loaners are unavailable or waiting-list only. Lexus service shops have directives from corporate offices to make repair service and satisfaction a priority or else sanctions will occur. This only one example of the difference between Lexus' and Acura's overall corporate paradigm and is reflected in the customer's experience.
Thanks for posting that link.... You know I was surprised Audi fared so well. It seems like I know so many people with Audi problems. Interesting.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:07 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

Hey you should be proud to own a Acura . . . Like someone said earlier , Lexus is looking to market products towards an older audience while Acura is not . Therefore its only natural that they point towards the softer side of things (lux) and give the consumer ( I say 40+ ) a retreat within their cars. Acura on the other hand IMHO are geared more towards blending performance and adequate luxury at a price which you the consumer can appreciate and find great satisfaction in. As a Acura owner I think you would agree that it feels good paying for a car that comes with just about everything rather than going else where and paying a arm and a leg for just a couple of options. More bang for your buck , is this not the American way ? And I think this will lead to the eventual fate of the German car makers. Dont get me wrong , they are wonderful cars but , if and when the Japanese decide to crunch down ( especially Acura ) I think we will see a new day and find a new way of thinking about our cars . All Acura needs to do is stop following and lead . . . . . . To me the whole image thing is crazy because you can spend a ton of money and not get alot of car. . . . Is this not the same war BMW and Benz have been fighting . Bmw= drivers car Benz=refined driving car and Audi = a blend of both . . . . .
Old 10-12-2004, 07:12 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

IMHO

Womans Car = Mercedes , Lexus

Mans Car = BMW , Infinti

Well Rounded = Audi , Acura
Old 10-12-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by NLYTN
IMHO

Womans Car = Mercedes , Lexus

Mans Car = BMW , Infinti

Well Rounded = Audi , Acura

The first post here by someone who has no clue..... :boinkugh:
Old 10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Snob appeal is what Lexus sells.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:09 PM
TEAM NIGHTHAWK ASSASIN

1sicklex like i said its my opinion. Dont knock me because you dont agree
Old 10-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tommyt37
Thanks for posting that link.... You know I was surprised Audi fared so well. It seems like I know so many people with Audi problems. Interesting.
The JDPower survey only is for initial quality...NOT long-term reliability which is an entirely different creature. I don't think JDPower has any public info for long-term reliability. For that, I guess Consumer Reports would be a fairly good source.

Initial quality has a lot to do with perceived quality because that is the moment you plunk down your change and turn the key for the first time. If you have a good first impression of a car, you are much more likely to have a positive overall experience during the entire period of ownership. Kinda like the impressions you get on a first date....
Old 10-12-2004, 09:45 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Eduardo
Would tend to agree 'generally' with this statement . Thought you find people into the image-mentality with most entry-level/luxury automobiles.

Now those people into 330i ZHP's are into the performance of their automobile rather than the gadgets and image an automobile is supoosed to convey!

HEHEHE.
I was seriously looking at a 330i. I wanted a 6 speed and few options. When I told the salesman this he gave me a really odd look. He said most buyers get the premium package and other options. I asked him to search for a more base 330i. He could not find one. I would have had to order a car.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:48 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by vtechbrain
Unbelieveable, This diatribe actually makes sense and is right on! Specially the last part!
Yeah, I thought so. His opinion was pretty good...well except for the use of rap music as a measure of what is popular.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:50 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Eduardo
Registered Nurses drive Lexus.
My wife is a RN and she drives her Honda Odyssey or my E320. No lexus cars in this household.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
USC YQUE

BMW's are over rated! Just kidding!

Originally Posted by Vanwall
I was seriously looking at a 330i. I wanted a 6 speed and few options. When I told the salesman this he gave me a really odd look. He said most buyers get the premium package and other options. I asked him to search for a more base 330i. He could not find one. I would have had to order a car.
Sounds like a lazy salesperson. The dealerships do make their profit off added options.

I was pretty lucky as my salesperson actually let me test drive an M3 and a 530i. I had actually had fun at the dealership!

BTW I made it to two hundred posts!!!
Not bad for a non TL driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
USC YQUE

Originally Posted by Vanwall
My wife is a RN and she drives her Honda Odyssey or my E320. No lexus cars in this household.
Ok, ok so there is at least ONE RN who doesn't drive a Lexus!
Old 10-12-2004, 10:29 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
[QUOTE=1SICKLEX]This thread=

QUOTE]

Notorious BIG- "Now my mom pimps an ACK....."

Jay Z- "And we, clap the doors on our Acuras....."

Think again about that statement......

Also, remind me again why you have 11,000 posts here.....and why you want to get an NSX sooooooo bad (as per your postings on clublexus.com)???
Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Advanced

I have know idea who Lexus targets? Anyone with money would never even consider a Lexus...I have never seen any successful person driving a lexus, so i have no idea why thay would even be considered a luxury car. (but i guess thay are) Anyone that wonts a luxury car knows were to go and it's not the Lexus dealer .....

BMW= luxury car (all ages)
MB= luxury car (all ages)
Lexus= considered luxury (dont know what ages)
Acura= highend car (younger to the young at heart)

FYI, Toyota is the best selling automaker. And if you know anything about cars, you would know where Lexus is from.

You obviously never owned a Lexus and that's probably why you think Lexus is not luxury. You really are an idiot thinking just because a lot of rich and famous celebrities don't drive Lexus, that its not luxury.

I have been in X5 4.4i, M3, AMG E55, ML350, and S500, but I would have to say that LS430 is by far the quietest and smoothest car I've driven. When I think of luxury, I think of comfort and quality parts. Also, with all the little features, such as auto headlights, auto windshield wipers, auto folding side mirros, rearview camera, parking sensors, bluetooth, superior audio sound(I believe LS430 was ranked #1), and superior navigation, I would definitely consider this car luxury. Of course, I have never been in Bentleys, but I woudn't even put those cars in the same category.

LS430 is not the best luxury car out there. But its definitely a luxury car.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Advanced

I'm actually quite happy that Acuras aren't mentioned in any rap "songs," proud actually. Why would you want your car mentioned along side lyrics like "I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one..."? Beyonce must be proud of her man for that one. I'm guessing most people out there reading this forum wouldn't consider gold front teeth a status symbol either, and THOSE you will see in lots of rap videos. I could go on for pages, anyway...

Lexus, as even the sound of the name suggests, is more luxury oriented. I had an leasing overlap once with a 1997 ES300 and a 2000 TL. A true head-to-head comparison. The Lexus was smoother, quieter... more luxurious. The TL was smooth and quiet, but not like the Lexus. However, the TL would blow the doors off the Lexus. The TL was much more fun to drive. I think the 2004 versions of the ES330 and TL are even more dissimilar. More luxury vs. more sport, power and fun to drive.

As to place of origin - tough one. I do think Japan, that master-copier, puts cars together better than the USA. Sad to say.

Once Acura takes a Honda racing V8 and modifies it for use in the NSX and, possibly, the RL, it will be interesting to see if the perception changes.

It's hard to compare many cars to Mercedes (not including the super exotics) as this car was a status symbol from virtually its very inception. Sure, Mercedes has made mistakes. The first C-class coming to mind. I suppose the worst mistake being its merger with Chrysler. I'm not speaking of financial soundness, just of the joining of such diverse auto manufacturers. BMW makes some great cars. But, the prices don't justify the modest handling advantages over rivals such as Acura. And what 2004 TL owner hasn't spanked his share of 328s and 330s? Feels good, doesn't it? I can't comment on the ZHP since I don't believe I've ever been challenged by one. Let's not forget the importance of the driver's ability, auto vs. manual, etc. I am speaking generally.

Maybe some day Honda racing will massage the Acura line and create a few M-like models. How about an AWD V8 TL?

Oh, and the quotations around the word songs at the beginning of this post are intentional, as I refer to the entire genre as rap "music" for the obvious reasons.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Grandpa

Having both an acura and MB, the biggest differentiator is not the products, but the service.

With the MB, I call the dealer and they dispatch a tech in a loaner. The tech arrives at my office, drops off the keys to the loaner (either a brand new S or SL), takes my car in for service and calls me when my car is ready. My keys are usually at reception and car out front. No need for me to authorize work, all service is free during my lease. Very convenient.

With the acura, I call for an appointment, negotiate a loaner, go to the dealer, line up with all those kids who bought NSXs at the service desk, and drop off my keys. Then drive to work in the loaner... a TSX if I'm lucky. Later I get a call asking me to authorize work. I have to call to check if my car is ready when they said it would be, drive to the dealer and line up at the cashier. After paying for service, I have to wait for them to dispatch some kid to bring around my car.

Sometimes when you pay more, you get more. If Acura wants to create a premium brand image for themselves, they need to work on the dealer experience. They already have the product right.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLim
FYI, Toyota is the best selling automaker. And if you know anything about cars, you would know where Lexus is from.

You obviously never owned a Lexus and that's probably why you think Lexus is not luxury. You really are an idiot thinking just because a lot of rich and famous celebrities don't drive Lexus, that its not luxury.

I have been in X5 4.4i, M3, AMG E55, ML350, and S500, but I would have to say that LS430 is by far the quietest and smoothest car I've driven. When I think of luxury, I think of comfort and quality parts. Also, with all the little features, such as auto headlights, auto windshield wipers, auto folding side mirros, rearview camera, parking sensors, bluetooth, superior audio sound(I believe LS430 was ranked #1), and superior navigation, I would definitely consider this car luxury. Of course, I have never been in Bentleys, but I woudn't even put those cars in the same category.

LS430 is not the best luxury car out there. But its definitely a luxury car.

Thanks for telling me who makes Lexus....(now that was great information) but i do recall this Forum was about Acura and Lexus, not about Honda's and Toyota's??? And like i said, look around are celebrities, atheletes and musicians buying Lexus....(no)...And why.... because thay just blow.....

Damn driving all those nice cars and you rank LS430 first, it would be a toss-up for me between AMG and the S500... But probably the S500, (blk with blk rims) Damn i sure would look nice driving home from work in my nice blk suit....(because you cant look good in a Lexus)=Old :smitty:

Luxury is an image......

Originally Posted by JLim
You really are an idiot thinking just because a lot of rich and famous celebrities don't drive Lexus, that its not luxury.
That's not what i said.....

And your really an idiot for thinking " Toyota is the best selling automaker" because i do believe GM owns that but i maybe wrong.......I take it your goal in life is the LS430 please dont stop there you can do better!!! And yes i've never owned a Lexus but i would if BMW, MB, Audi and the rest went out of business
Old 10-13-2004, 05:58 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
And yes i've never owned a Lexus but i would if BMW, MB, Audi and the rest went out of business

So..... what kind of car do you drive?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do agree that DysLexus does target the perceived luxury market. Sure the LS is a great car. But they also build some of the BUTT-UGLIEST things on the road. And they are also the #1 copy cat in the industry. LS = S-Class, new GS = TL, SC = Z3/Z4 (tho 10x uglier). And as for the current ES, I don't honestly thing (save the Camry/Solara) that there is a fuglier thing around, i get nauseous at the site of one. People buy DysLexi to have that snobbery appeal as was stated earlier.

Starting realtors buy an ES300/330, experienced Realtors show up in a high 5 or an E or S class.

There isn't a single truly beautiful Lexus on the market today in shape, design, or lines.

Then again, Mercedes has gone fugly too with the melted headlights.

Does making 75,000 TL's when they expected 60,000 tell anyone anything ?? the car is hot, people wanted it. Sure it's a first year quality flop for a lot of us (notice I didn't say ALL), but the car has issues. And I have always said and agree that Honda Japan puts out 10x better product than Ohio and Bambalamba plants. The TSX loaner I had last week had not one squeak or rattle, and was incredlibly fun, minus the HP difference.

And if you think that the TL is just a rebadged Accord underpinning, which it is with a TON of upgrades and mods, then you really need to check out what the diff between a Camry and ES is, it aint as much as we get. And the IS300 to a Corolla, feh... have fun.

Later y'all.. time to go back to my "Lemonade" and Valium.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Old timer

Acura often leads the way with technological breakthroughs: Their navi has always been the best OEM brand navi available, the SH-AWD, the RealTime traffic w/ the navi, the high output naturally-aspirated V6s with VTEC, etc.

That said, they're not a Tier1 brand like Lexus, MBenz, Porsche, or BMW, mostly because they don't have the right line-up and their cars are budget luxury, not plush over-priced luxury.

The RL might be Acura's flagship car, but it's just a mid-size sporty sedan with luxury features, it's not a full-size uber luxury sedan like the LS430, S-class Benz, etc. It's sized like the BMW 5-series, E-class Benz, and GS430, but only has a V6 while all of those offer a V8 model (albeit at a higher price, price is not generally an issue for a Tier1 customer). But Acura isn't going after the Tier1 customers so much as all the people who want that sophistication at a budget price. So they offer most of the features, some unique features, and do it all at a great price.

Infiniti, in my experience, is similar to Acura, Volvo, and Saab, in that Tier2 category where you get luxury and performance for a great price, but Infiniti actually has slightly more upscale dealerships, a slightly better warranty, and slightly better treatment on average, as well as a line-up with more high-end (and higher-priced) models, so they are much more well on their way to becoming a Tier1 luxury brand than Acura which lacks those things.

I think Acura has itself positioned well, though:

They are the first group of "luxury" vehicles that people can afford.
They often catch kids with the Integra (RSX), who then remember the brand name and its reliability, and will come back when they can afford a TSX or TL, and again when they're looking for an SUV, and maybe not so many years after that they might come back for a Legend (RL) or if they're a bigshot, the next NSX.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Are you serious with this?...or just trying to stir something up?

I love my TL and hope Acura is back on track based on the last few new/revised models (TSX, TL, RL), but Lexus has been the top-selling luxury brand for many years. You'd almost have to live in an area with no luxury cars on the roads or have the worst case of tunnel vision ever not see the them around on a regular basis.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by NLYTN
1sicklex like i said its my opinion. Dont knock me because you dont agree
For the record, I agree with you and what you posted is pretty much the impression many folks have on those makes.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by te3point5
Yeah but I'll bet the Integra you had was built in Japan. I am not making up the problems the TL has, everyother thread on this forum is, "my tires suck", "My headliner keeps falling", "rattle this", "Rattle That", "my leather wrinkled" "My lip spoiler fell off""... the list goes on.

Its a build quality issue with things being made int he US. I have the same thing with my Maxima, I had a 1997 Maxima (built in Japan) and I now have a 2003 Maxima, (built in US) ANd the build quality is horrible. Not well put together at all. I want my next car to be japanese made.

You said in your originial post that acuras make quality, and just by reading the posts, that seems to not be the case..

Like I said, I'm not making it up, look at the threads on this board.
Mercedes has plants in the US, how would you rate THEIR quality? Honda Accords are built in the US...do they have bad quality??

I think that being involved in this froum just exposes you more to the little things that TL owners deal with. They complain because they LOVE their cars and want them to be perfect!! That's right...they LOVE their cars!! If they were junk, we wouldn't have this forum....
Old 10-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Instructor

I think most people are missing the point here....And the point is i dont like 1SICKLEX..... I've watched him roast members and he's always flaming Acura. Just recently he's changed his attitude. And if most people think i'm being an ass, then so be it....

Originally Posted by te3point5
So..... what kind of car do you drive?
Acura TL , AMG C32, Expedition (between my wife and i)

Originally Posted by planman
Are you serious with this?...or just trying to stir something up?

I love my TL and hope Acura is back on track based on the last few new/revised models (TSX, TL, RL), but Lexus has been the top-selling luxury brand for many years. You'd almost have to live in an area with no luxury cars on the roads or have the worst case of tunnel vision ever not see the them around on a regular basis.
And as for me being serious.....YES.... i dont like Lexus and sense 1SICKLEX has his very own Lexus website, it just makes it easy......(Hopefully 1SICKLEX has a Lexus or it just screammsss poseur)..... But maybe in Frisco, TX their popular (Lexus) but here in LA i dont see may, but maybe i'm wrong....(wouldn't be the first time)
Old 10-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Old timer

Originally Posted by EMF213
Mercedes has plants in the US, how would you rate THEIR quality?
Well the ML series was a nightmare for several years, and the C class was junk too. I wouldn't be surprised if those were the ones that were built in the US.

As far as Lexus, I've seen plenty of SC430s owned by big names when they first came out. Considering they buy the latest car pretty much every 6months-1year, it's not surprising they don't drive Lexus right now since Lexus hasn't put out anything new or majorly updated in a few years.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Answer is Simple

The Answer is simple. Acura discontinued the most respected Japanese luxury car made in the 90's, the Legend. If Lexus discontinued the LS, the flagship, 8 years after it was introduced, they would have the same identity problem as Acura has. You can change the car, but when you change the name (Legend to RL) you loose continuity with buyers. This is somthing that American car makers can identify.
Once you have a winner, you dont change the name. Now if you have a looser, like the Vigor (looser as in poor sales) change the name (to the TL).
Old 10-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraVic
The Answer is simple. Acura discontinued the most respected Japanese luxury car made in the 90's, the Legend. If Lexus discontinued the LS, the flagship, 8 years after it was introduced, they would have the same identity problem as Acura has. You can change the car, but when you change the name (Legend to RL) you loose continuity with buyers. This is somthing that American car makers can identify.
Once you have a winner, you dont change the name. Now if you have a looser, like the Vigor (looser as in poor sales) change the name (to the TL).
Yeah, that transition to the RL did ruin the Legend brand. Then the next biggest problem with the RL was the fact that the 3.2TL upstaged it in 1999. Thoroughly!!

IMHO, Honda should have upgraded the RL with the same motor that's in the MDX back in the 2000 m/y (although the 'Legend-->RL' damage may have already been done). It would have had at least 240hp and 245lb-ft to move that 3900lb body. And by now, it could have had 265hp - 253 lb-ft. Oh well!! The new RL should do well but, it's too early to tell whether or not it could put memories of the old Legend to rest.

And having an ageless yet aging (?) NSX (now going on its 15th model year) at the top of the Acura food chain probably doesnt do too much for brand image as the years go by. Arguably it's the space shuttle of the Honda world: constantly upgraded as the years go by but, basically the same as when introduced.

Just my
Old 10-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have know idea who Lexus targets? Anyone with money would never even consider a Lexus...I have never seen any successful person driving a lexus, so i have no idea why thay would even be considered a luxury car. (but i guess thay are) .....
...and anyone with any sense would never make that statement.

I happen to be a 4-time Lexus owner (SC300, 2-GS300s, SC430). Based on the cars I've owned I could pretty well have gone out and purchased a 5-Series or E-Class without a problem. I did, in fact, own an Audi A6 4.2 for 8 months, which is exactly why I went back to Lexus. Fit/finish, reliability and service are almost as important to me as the vehicle. So, there's your answer... I'm the one they target. I have the money but don't have time to live in the service department and don't need the "panache" of driving a M-B or BMW. Nothing against those brands, but we all have our priorities.

BTW, the reason I'm on this forum is because I traded my GS300 for my current '04 TL. I still enjoy the reliability, plus more tech goodies, and a sportier driving experience than Lexus (currently) offers. The TL still also beats the 5-Series and E-Class for value IMHO. In fact, I took my boss to lunch today (who owns an '03 E-Class) and he was AMAZED at the interior, voice command and sound system in my car. "Stealth luxury" describes the TL, and that's just fine with me.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Instructor

I think that Lexus definitely is more of a luxury brand than Acura. However in my case the Lexus did
not appeal to me and even if it did the salesman turned me off by his criticism of Acura and Infiniti.
I think Acura is wise having the RSX as an entry level car for their line. My son purchased a 2002 Acura. At the time he was 21 and the Acura dealer was the only dealer that treated him like an adult and gave him a fair price and trade in for his other car. He is thinking of getting a new car in another year or so and the first place he is going to check out is the Acura dealer to see what they have to offer. I have an 03 TL-S and both of our cars have been rock solid with no problems. I am looking forward to getting my 05 TL here in a couple weeks and hope for the same quality and service.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Well, my TL isn't "stealth". Your boss should ride in MY car. I'll tell you-he'd never fall asleep in it. It's too noisy.
It's a shame and I wonder if the people who rate these cars for consumers are aware of the problems many of us are having. For those who have had none-that's great but I'm sure regulars on this site who own the 04 TL are listening everyday for that dreaded rattle. I had a TL loaner and THAT car rattled.
It's a problem, it can't be denied, and I'm waiting to see how people who buy the 05 fare.
I love it when somebody comes on this site for the first time, thrilled out of their mind with their new TL, relieved that they have NO problems after 1,000 miles. Be patient. I would like to hear from everyone after 10,000 miles and see how bad issues really are with this car.

Click, click, skreeech, booooink, rattle, rattle. Just another day in the TL.

As for Lexus-it might be better but it's butt ugly.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSF2
Well, my TL isn't "stealth". Your boss should ride in MY car. I'll tell you-he'd never fall asleep in it. It's too noisy.
It's a shame and I wonder if the people who rate these cars for consumers are aware of the problems many of us are having. For those who have had none-that's great but I'm sure regulars on this site who own the 04 TL are listening everyday for that dreaded rattle. I had a TL loaner and THAT car rattled.
It's a problem, it can't be denied, and I'm waiting to see how people who buy the 05 fare.
I love it when somebody comes on this site for the first time, thrilled out of their mind with their new TL, relieved that they have NO problems after 1,000 miles. Be patient. I would like to hear from everyone after 10,000 miles and see how bad issues really are with this car.

Click, click, skreeech, booooink, rattle, rattle. Just another day in the TL.

As for Lexus-it might be better but it's butt ugly.
12000+ miles and no rattles
Old 10-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Old 10-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by spooky3ce
Oh and about Acura being just another Honda car... try buying parts from the Honda dealership for your Acura... LOL...
What do you mean? I have gotten parts at the Honda dealer for my wife's TL. (Honda dealer is right next to my work, Acura dealer is across town). They told me they can order any part I wanted.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Acura get same respect as Lexus?