3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else hates the Acura Doors??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had my car for a few days and i too hate this issue i find myself having to put me knee out to prevent the door closing on me especially if i have stuff in my hands.

I also dont ike the fact that the inside door handle is so far forward, this could be due to the fact that my GN has a long strap running forward to aft and also a small pocket to grab and just feels my comfortable opening the door.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The doors are not a problem, its the damn seat. I just found a cell phone i lost a year ago. It falls out of my pocket and into that black hole between the seat and the center console. And a few days ago i lost my memory card, I know it is there somewhere in that black hole.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
My grandma is 84 years old and she loves the doors. She has no problems getting in or out, she actually told me it was pretty convenient.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for me, sometimes when i try to pop open open the trunk, it doesn't pop up. is that only me?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kevino260
for me, sometimes when i try to pop open open the trunk, it doesn't pop up. is that only me?

Ya, this happens to me all the time, when i come to the car with grocery bags. I keep pulling on the trunk to open it since there is no latch, I just keep trying but it doesn´t budge. . So I put everything through the middle opening between the seats. It is very difficult to get the 48 pack of paper towels through the tiny hole, oh man.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
It's supposed to unlatch and barely rise. It even has a weight in the trunk lid under the carpet. I like that it does no open. Think about if you accidentally hit the trunk release and it's sitting there wide open all night. I've done it before and gotten in the car with the warning light showing it's open. I was afraid to turn around and see if the subs were still there.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
^ yea i guess there are goods and bads about some things like the doors and the trunk.... sometimes the trunk barely opening with a handful of groceries is annoying but i guess it is good that if u accidentally pop it (which i never have done) it is only open a little and no one would notice and no rain water would enter
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had that happen to me when I first got my TL. It would happen all the time and a few times, even after hitting the buttons, the trunk would not pop open. I took it into my local Acura dealer about a month after getting it and complained about this problem. Come to find out from my Acura dealer, that the springs they put into the trunk with the trunk lid spoilers are weaker (or I guess you could say less powerful) when opening the trunk and tend not to spring it open. He told me when they install the trunk lid spoiler to TL's they have to put in much stronger/better springs in it in order to accommodate the extra weight of the spoiler.

Even though I wasn't getting a spoiler, he replaced the OEM springs with the better/spoiler springs and I've never had a problem since. With the new springs, the trunk lid pop half way up every time I push the button!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:04 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
this door thing shouldn't be so complicated. the doors have 2 settings where they stop, just put it at one of those settings n hop out of the car. unless you're on a hill, then yes, it can be bothersome. the trunk is alright, i kinda like that it doesn't fly open, then again...i don't like nitpicking the TL. i love it!

only problem i have is when ppl slam the doors...RAGE!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea the doors suck on un even ground... If you have the room open the door all the way it will usually stay in the second position better but make sure not to door ding!

Yea I hate this sometime!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
If someone's sitting on your passengers, you should be more concerned about stains on the back seat.....
Bst post on this thread! Truly made me giggle.

I just got my 04 TL a couple of weeks ago. I LOVE the doors and my husband slams them, but he is a door slammer. I think some people just slam doors. He slammed the doors on my Isuzu Rodeo and those doors are feather weight.

I showed him how to use them and I think he is doing better.

Our 4 yr old figured the doors out after about 20 mins when I first got it. We were in the driveway chatting with the neighbor and she was climbing in and out of all the doors and pulling as hard as she could to close them. I showed her to pull it to the first stop, then get in while at the same time giving it a tug to un-hook it from the stop, she never slammed a shin all night! She can get in and buckle herself up in the backseat!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

Your 4yr old is a lot smarter than some of my friends. I've got one in particular that I've been friends with my whole life and even though he's been getting in and out of the TL since it was brand new, I still have to yell "Don't slam it" right as he's reaching for the handle every single time even if I just said it a minute earlier. If I wait till he he grabs the handle he still slams it. There have been times I thought the glass was going to break. Each time he slams it he gets this oh sh*t look on his face. He truly doesn't mean to but he has the attention span of a 2yr old.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

She's better trained than my 22 yr old, but she's still at that age when her ego doesn't win over pleasing the parents! LOL

I bet your friend slams EVERY door. I think TL owners may be more sensitive about it, especially if they understand the doors.

I took my coworkers out for lunch, 3 of them. The porsche owner in the passenger front didn't slam the front door. The former olds 4 door granny car/new chevy malibu owner didn't slam the rear door. The newish toyota corolla owner didn't slam the door. My husband, the 86 chevy truck owner, slams the door. My 22 yr old 98 mustang owner slams the door. Some people are just door slammers. I bet if you get these people in other cars, they slam doors as well. I slammed the hell out of my Rodeo doors before I realized they were so light weight, they closed easily... I'm a former Firebird owner.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rebelangel
I'm a former Firebird owner.
That's too funny. My door slammer friend is also a former Firebird owner. I think those are the heaviest doors known to man. I used to have to re-shut it over and over because I felt like I was going to break it.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by I hate cars
My door slammer friend is also a former Firebird owner.
Don't doubt it, door slammers we are until we learn otherwise. I was one!

How bout those doors on that Buick?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rebelangel
Don't doubt it, door slammers we are until we learn otherwise. I was one!

How bout those doors on that Buick?
Just about as bad as the Firebird but I adjusted them until they were almost self closing years ago. It was a little harder but I learned to do it on the Firebirds (the 1989 turbo TA) too. At least the Firebird attempted to make an airtight seal between the glass and rubber seal. The Buick even with new seals sounds like the window is down all the time. The TL is no doubt a few steps up in the refinement category.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have learned to be fast when getting in the car.. but have had the damn door close on my leg soo many times. If I push the door open slowly, it will stay open..I just had to learn the trick.

I added a wing spoiler to my truck lid and it came with new, heavier duty springs. It never closes on me and still pops up about an inch or so when pushing the button on the fob or inside button.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6
Dude, slowly open your door to 1 of the 2 positions. Exit the car. Gently push the door back shut. Voila.

Seems like my doors are the only ones on this forum that actually WORK the way they were designed
+1

I haven't had a problem with mine, I think its actually nice that i can open it just before it hits the first stop, get out and it closes by itself. Maybe you guys are just exiting too slow. If you need it to stay open, open it to the first stopping point, then no problems.

I think its an operator error if you dont open it enough and then expect it not to close.

Get used to your own car ffs!!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johnfilice
+1

I haven't had a problem with mine, I think its actually nice that i can open it just before it hits the first stop, get out and it closes by itself. Maybe you guys are just exiting too slow. If you need it to stay open, open it to the first stopping point, then no problems.

I think its an operator error if you dont open it enough and then expect it not to close.

Get used to your own car ffs!!

X2 It took me a while to figure out "ffs" lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have learned to be fast when getting in the car.. but have had the damn door close on my leg soo many times. If I push the door open slowly, it will stay open..I just had to learn the trick.
+1 - my TL has allowed me to hone my cat-like, ninja skills
Old 03-01-2011, 11:01 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
hmmm, just saw this other thread about modding the doors with the accord door checker if you want a smooth opening:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/light-doors-781956/
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
It's kind of funny when I tell my passengers to watch out for the door and then they're like what? but it's too late and it closes back on there leg.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Advanced

haha my girlfriend always complains about my doors and she hates it. I on the other hand have no problem because i always make sure it stays at the right position before i get out, and a lot of times i just hop in my car fast enough to let the door shuts by itself. its fun to do that sometimes =) . I guess i love my car too much to complain about this little problem.