3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you guys get a loaner, do you fill it with REGULAR gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb When you guys get a loaner, do you fill it with REGULAR gas?

hey guys

so I want everyone to be honest here, with gas prices these days, when you get a loaner 'Ac from the dealer as I did this morning (a brand new RDX), do you find yourselves filling REGULAR 87 gas in it because its not your car and you just don't give a f*ck?!? Especially with gas prices these days?

I know I do!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
No, always premium. That's not cool IMO. Especially with the RDX....it has a turbo and needs premium.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who puts gas in a loaner....?

Usually that is part of the deal unless you have it for a long period of time no?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, I have never had a TL for a loaner that I can remember. Only a TSX. And yes, I used regular gas. If you don't fill up, they charge you RIDICULOUS rate per gallon on your credit card. Sooo in return for them "looking out for their wallets with me"...they get regular when it's my turn! Plain and simple!

Besides, loaners are like rentals...who gives a fuck??????? People drive rentals like "Dukes of Hazzard"!!!! Whether they come on here and admit it or not! The dealerships already know this and expect it. When they sell cars at auction or on the lot used, tell me when you know it was a previous loaner you don't shy away from that sale? LOL!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Why do you want to know? HaHa. I think most people do, if not all. Luckily, they can do alright on at least 87 octane ( at least the TL can). The TL manual says gas under 87 can lead to engine damage. With what the Acura dealerships charge for service (at least in New Jersey) you should have no guilt.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell ya

Not only do I put in 87, but I find the cheapest.. bargain gas I can find. Not my car, too bad.

My car gets BP, Premium only.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommygun
Not only do I put in 87, but I find the cheapest.. bargain gas I can find. Not my car, too bad.

Hahahah!
Old 05-25-2007, 10:35 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If I were you I'd use a shot of dry nitrous as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Instructor

87 Only for loaner! Unless I forget and out of habit put 93.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
always put the cheapest gas for loaner! plus I always drive back on E when I'm done with the loaner! hahaha
Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Good luck getting a loaner in the future now that you put that info online with pic of your car!
The dealer is nice enough (not required) to provide a loaner even on small jobs in most cases. Its respectful to return the car in good condition with the proper gas in it- just like it was your own car.
I asked about not using a loaner during trans replacement and they offered 50 bucks off the bill.
I took the TSX loaner and really appreciate my TL now!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 5,920 Likes on 2,918 Posts
Both times I've had a loaner it was a TL and I put Premium in it...it's a TL - I just wouldn't feel right putting anything else in it...I don't care who owns it.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Good luck getting a loaner in the future now that you put that info online with pic of your car!
Yeah, there's only a few that look like that!

The dealer is nice enough (not required) to provide a loaner even on small jobs in most cases.
Not my case! Must be warranty work over 2 hrs.

Do you guys actually think that the dealer really cares if you put 87 octane in?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I treat other people's property like I want others to treat my property. So yes, I put premium in a loaner and sometimes I return the car cleaner than i revieved it.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommygun

LOL!!! putting piss gas in a luxury car. while you are at it, dilute it with water (just kidding).

I know what you mean about the premium gas, I baby my car like it's a new born.

I guess it's all depends on how you feel that day. and whatever float your boat. maybe one day you feel generous and will put in top grade airplane fuel. maybe one day you feel you need to save a few pennies and put in the diluted piss gas. whatever it is, just be fair and considerate.

Remember, it's a privaledge for Acura to give us the free loaner. Look at Mercedez, they give their customer Enterprise Rental Car.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
I treat other people's property like I want others to treat my property. So yes, I put premium in a loaner and sometimes I return the car cleaner than i revieved it.
Same here, I just think it's disrespectful to treat it any other way. Some other person will eventually own the loaners, too, so it's just not right to treat it badly.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by bhelsdon
Yeah, I agree if I borrow your car. But if I borrow a loaner, it's "mass" used. Like others have said, including myself, they already expect it to be that way. You think it's like that with the dealer when you bring it back and they charge the unfair rate to your card of $5 or $6 per gallon? Works both ways!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

My dealer gave me my TL with Regular...Imma give him his loaners with regular, hell thats what they fill em up with tooo!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ankur914
My dealer gave me my TL with Regular...Imma give him his loaners with regular, hell thats what they fill em up with tooo!
Unlike us, the dealer does not have any personal attachment to their cars. It's a business.

If they can fill it with 87, they will, and I don't blame them.

They could run a loaner (or fleet demo) on 87 for a year, then sell it for the same price as if they put 93 in it the whole time. It's a business, and it comes down to bottom line.

Just my thoughts!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Wid-TL
Unlike us, the dealer does not have any personal attachment to their cars. It's a business.

If they can fill it with 87, they will, and I don't blame them.

They could run a loaner (or fleet demo) on 87 for a year, then sell it for the same price as if they put 93 in it the whole time. It's a business, and it comes down to bottom line.

Just my thoughts!
+1
Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Well, I have never had a TL for a loaner that I can remember. Only a TSX. And yes, I used regular gas. If you don't fill up, they charge you RIDICULOUS rate per gallon on your credit card. Sooo in return for them "looking out for their wallets with me"...they get regular when it's my turn! Plain and simple!

Besides, loaners are like rentals...who gives a fuck??????? People drive rentals like "Dukes of Hazzard"!!!! Whether they come on here and admit it or not! The dealerships already know this and expect it. When they sell cars at auction or on the lot used, tell me when you know it was a previous loaner you don't shy away from that sale? LOL!
HAAHAHA true that
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Advanced

First off if you put gas in it they are not going to charge you $5-$6 a gallon so that makes no sense. That policy was put in place for a reason and it was the only way to insure getting the loaner back with gas. Second, how would you feel if they put regular gas in your car when you picked it up? I have been lurking around here for several months and it is always interesting to see that most of the idiotic posts about trashing loaners and subjects like this come from the imature and cocky 17- 20 something year olds.
Grow up and respect others property! If the dealership has done something to your vehicle then let them know about it.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Racer

Luckily I haven't had to get a loaner yet. When I do, I think I will put the premium in. It is only a couple of dollars for a tank and I wouldn't feel right otherwise.

(Of course I am also the guy who will tell the clerk behind the register that they gave me too much change and give it back. I guess that makes me a sucker, but I sleep better at night)
Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VANDY
First off if you put gas in it they are not going to charge you $5-$6 a gallon so that makes no sense. That policy was put in place for a reason and it was the only way to insure getting the loaner back with gas. Second, how would you feel if they put regular gas in your car when you picked it up? I have been lurking around here for several months and it is always interesting to see that most of the idiotic posts about trashing loaners and subjects like this come from the imature and cocky 17- 20 something year olds.
Grow up and respect others property! If the dealership has done something to your vehicle then let them know about it.
Vandy, welcome to AZ! A word of warning, better get that flame suit on!

I'm not a fan of beating on a loaner or trashing it by any means... but you can see my thoughts in the above posts regarding the business vs. personal perspective.

If I was borrowing my service tech's or service writer's personal car, I'd treat it as my own. But such is not the case with these loaners!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:43 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

First off if you put gas in it they are not going to charge you $5-$6 a gallon so that makes no sense.
First post huh Vandy? Well, here is your first lesson: Reading is fundamental! That is NOT what I said. So go back and read it again! Oh well, here:

"If you don't fill up, they charge you RIDICULOUS rate per gallon on your credit card."

You think it's like that with the dealer when you bring it back and they charge the unfair rate to your card of $5 or $6 per gallon?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Why is it different than yours or someone elses car? If you don't beat your own car why beat the loaner? As I said, respect others property and grow up! I guess I should also tell you that I work at an Acura dealer, if I knew someone was driving our loaners this way it certainly would be the last time they got one.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Why is it different than yours or someone elses car? If you don't beat your own car why beat the loaner? As I said, respect others property and grow up! I guess I should also tell you that I work at an Acura dealer, if I knew someone was driving our loaners this way it certainly would be the last time they got one.
When I said that people drive the cars like Dukes of Hazzard, I didn't say "I" did. But yes I put in regular, and that should not eliminate me or any other person from getting a loaner. Plus, the fact that you work at Acura makes you HELLO...a tadbit PARTIAL don't you think? Just a little...Stop telling people to grow up. You don't know them well enough to make comments about them personally. Don't bring that crap in here! Or don't you know that by saying that, you are perpetuating that same thing? Just calm down man, you are not at work. This is a forum, and people are entitled to their opinions.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
The reason that rental car companies and the dealer- who is essentially renting you a car and eating the bill, charge extra for gas not replaced is simple: an employee has to now go to the station and take care of it. That takes time. Time cost money
If everyone including the dealer were using 87 why do the loaners run so well?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Most of us respsect the loaners and dont beat on em. Darksom1 is just making a comical point. And to be honest, my dealer gave me my brand new TL with regular gasoline, not premium. My car drove like crap, not like what I had test driven at a different dealership, but once I refilled with 91 Mobil Super, the beast was unleashed. Also, he fessed up to it when I asked him about it. He was honest about it. So, some (key word) dealers do put regular in, lol, why the hell should i upgrade if he/she doesnt care? And Welcome to the boards!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

The reason that rental car companies and the dealer- who is essentially renting you a car and eating the bill, charge extra for gas not replaced is simple: an employee has to now go to the station and take care of it. That takes time. Time cost money
If everyone including the dealer were using 87 why do the loaners run so well?
Because they service them. Right there. Plus, those employees are hired for their miscellaneous tasks. If they didn't do that then they would be doing some other odd job. Look, it isn't right to "mistreat" the car, but I dare say that 87 gas is mistreating it. Didn't someone quote the manual already on that?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Just curious - what octane does your dealership use for new/used sales, or other loaner vehicles?

I know a dealership which will remain nameless that let their salesman have their choice of used acuras to drive, and most of them were driven hard, by 20-something salesman. A perk of the job!

If you think a majority of people treat "your" loaners as they would their own cars, then I have an electric supercharger I can sell you!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Oh yeah, welcome Vandy! (sorry about not saying that earlier)
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Wid-TL
Just curious - what octane does your dealership use for new/used sales, or other loaner vehicles?

I know a dealership which will remain nameless that let their salesman have their choice of used acuras to drive, and most of them were driven hard, by 20-something salesman. A perk of the job!

If you think a majority of people treat "your" loaners as they would their own cars, then I have an electric supercharger I can sell you!
This is true! I've even seen a Benz lot (not to mention Acura lot) where the porters race those cars!! Look at how many people take their car to Acura for service only to see it damaged when they return it. On this forum no less!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by darksom1
Because they service them. Right there. Plus, those employees are hired for their miscellaneous tasks. If they didn't do that then they would be doing some other odd job. Look, it isn't right to "mistreat" the car, but I dare say that 87 gas is mistreating it. Didn't someone quote the manual already on that?

+1...They are paid by the hour and in most areas, the gas station is only a block or two away from the dealer. And plenty of times, Ive seen, a bunch of em are just sitting on their asses doing nothing...So sorry if they have to work to earn their money.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome! Can you put the electric supercharger on a 2006 Civic?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I had a MB B200 as a loaner when my TL was at a shop.
The rental manager told me to just fill up with regular gas when I am done with the car.
I told him it's a MB B200 though, he didn't care.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced

I can't control nor do I know what gas is put in our vehicles and to be honest my beef with this thread really has more to do with how people brag about the way they drive dealership loaners. Trashing loaners is talked about alot in various threads and yes working for an Acura dealer makes this subject a sore one for me. My opinion is that its wrong and why do it?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Respect my ASSSSSS!!!!! Gimmie a break! Screw their cars! Why? I have seen how the techs drive my car when they think I'm not looking. You think they respect YOUR car the way they should? The way you drive it/take care of it? They dart it around in 1st gear all over their property like a raging bull. I always have to tell them to take it easy and I come off as some uptight jerk. Also I always get grease somewhere on my interior I make them cleanup.

Their loaners are just loaners and the dealers know they get abused because not everyone treats their car the same. Nobody cares because it's nobody's personal property, just a disposable dealer's car. (You would be much more careful with a car someone personally loaned to you.) Every loaner I've ever used has greasy fingerprints, a dusty dashboard, stinks like cigarettes and has coffee spills all over the center console. (These are relatively new cars with less miles than my car and cleaned out after every use) What a relief after I get back into my TL!

As Darky said some people treat the car like the General Lee but not me too. I am kinda past that age. (Well OK I do a few WOT runs for absolutely no reason and pull a few g's on highway ramps. I don't do that on my car. It's nothing compared to what I did to loaners when I was younger; just about every experiment to see if I could break it; like throw the car in park going 80 on the highway. LOL!) The dealer is happy as long as you bring it back in one piece, they don't go out and scrutinize everything. They won't remember how well you took care of it or if they should trust you more the next time. You are an Acura customer and they give you another loaner the next time.

Nobody ever requires you to use premium because for 100% a fact the dealer themselves NEVER uses premium; just ask them! Did you think for a minute that if you use anything less than 91 it voids the warranty? Not all dealerships are strict about fuel levels either. One dealership was VERY clear about a strict policy about fuel and I complied. Another didn't even mentioned it. I didn't refill because I didn't put more than 20 miles on that TSX and the gauge hardly moved. The dealer didn't care and I could have used up the whole tank if I was a dick.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I dont think putting 87 in the loaner is a bad thing. I tend to go for the middle grade.

But I think ragging on the loaner is just fucking stupid. I have an 07 TL right now and I treat this car just as I would treat my own. My dealer has always been cool with me so I see no reason to treat their cars bad...
Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 PM
VS#03

I have a new full loaded RDX and I put regular in it but while driving on that tank of gas, the RDX felt very sluggish. So when that tank of gas was finish, I purchase a fuel system cleaner and fulled it up with premium. The RDX regain life again and felt the same way when they give it to me a loaner.

Kevin

Quick Reply: When you guys get a loaner, do you fill it with REGULAR gas?