Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels and tires are killing me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Harvest day sucks....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two weeks ago I took my TL to the dealer for the 2nd time in an attempt to cure my persistant vibration problems. Their "cure" was to replace my tires with 4 new EL-42's. Please note these tires are not the "fixed" EL-42's with the new compound that's not supposed to flat spot.

Well, the tech who was balancing the tires screwed up and put a huge gash in one of my rims because it wasn't tightened down enough when he attempted to balance. The dealer ordered me a new rim to replace the one they scratched.

Needless to say, the new tires didn't cure my problems.

Today I brought in the car to have the new rim put on. Driving back to work from the dealer my vibrations were substantially worse.

I don't know if I've said this on this forum yet, but I'm really starting to hate driving my car. I want to love my car, but the fact of the matter is that I regret the day I bought it.

After I got back to work, I gave the keys to 2 of my co-workers and asked their opinion of the way my car rides. Both though it was terrible, one even noting that I must be the most patient man on the planet to go through 3000 miles of this sh1t every day.

I'm fed up and decide that since I'm getting nowhere with my dealer I decide to turn to Bridgestone. They tell me to visit a local retail MasterCare shop which is what I did this eveing. Here's the results:

All of my tires were out of balance--except for the one mounted on my new rim today. I really don't understand how this could be since they are new and were mounted and balanced only 2 weeks ago. Two tires needed 3/4oz added to the weight already on the rims to balance, the other needed 1/2 oz.

The tech also showed me that 2 of my rims are bent while they were on the balancer. One of them is the new rim I got today!

I don't understand how Acura's QC could be so bad as to allow obviously bent rims into the retail chain like this. I'm convinced that besides the crappy tires, the persistant vibration I've had to live with is the bent rims.

Dealer will be getting another call from me tomorrow. One more visit that doesn't cure my vibration problem and I start the lemon law process. I can't take it anymore.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Please let us know how you make out. It would be really funny it the whole issue turns out to be bent rims not the tires. Let see who Acura can blame for this one. (bent rims)
Old 03-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Wheels and tires are killing me!!!!

Originally posted by Corn
I don't understand how Acura's QC could be so bad as to allow obviously bent rims into the retail chain like this. I'm convinced that besides the crappy tires, the persistant vibration I've had to live with is the bent rims.

Wanna find someone to blame... check this out... I ever mailed to them she is the one who should be fired if she keeps saying she has done the good job...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=71286

Mike suggests that she should be responsible for mismatched interior panels and poor body assembly.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Harvest day sucks....

Originally posted by jdimaria
Please let us know how you make out. It would be really funny it the whole issue turns out to be bent rims not the tires. Let see who Acura can blame for this one. (bent rims)
Undoubtedly the bent rims are a significant cause of my vibration problems. What I don't understand though is how all of my tires can get so out of balance in only 2 weeks time.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Advanced

They were probably never really 'ballanced'. I am sure Acura attempted; they did with mine twice, but the vibration never changed. I too went to a Master Care center and they ultimatley replaced all four tires with Falkens free of charge because none of the tires could be balance on any wheel. I have posted on here about my experience.

I never thought I would give FIRESTONE higher customer satisfaction marks than Acura. Continue to work with the Master Care center about replacements after Acura replaces your wheels.

Good Luck.....
Old 03-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Harvest day sucks....

FirstAcura, is your vehicle an auto or 6MT?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: Wheels and tires are killing me!!!!

Originally posted by Corn
Corns????

Of course your feet are killing you!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Old 03-15-2004, 06:50 AM
Advanced

OK, I blew out one of the EL 42s on a pothole Thursday and I said no way to a$ $250 EL 42 to replace it. I ordered Faulkens after reading Cons reports from discounttires. They came to my house in 23 hours (Dallas to Tulsa) for $396 total. I put them on immediately, tech screwed up on alloy but I will tell you all the bs EL 42s are the problem. I am excited about an $89 tire! It is quiet and no harsh EL 42 stuff going on. Check out discounttiresdirect and quit worrrying about this. For $396 end you pain. It took a blow out to end mine. Thank goodness.
End of story
Old 03-15-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro

Originally posted by inky
OK, I blew out one of the EL 42s on a pothole Thursday and I said no way to a$ $250 EL 42 to replace it. I ordered Faulkens after reading Cons reports from discounttires. They came to my house in 23 hours (Dallas to Tulsa) for $396 total. I put them on immediately, tech screwed up on alloy but I will tell you all the bs EL 42s are the problem. I am excited about an $89 tire! It is quiet and no harsh EL 42 stuff going on. Check out discounttiresdirect and quit worrrying about this. For $396 end you pain. It took a blow out to end mine. Thank goodness.
End of story
AMEN! I got mine swiped out for Falkens 512 after just 400 miles. I didn't have the 55mph vibration issues that some others have reported, but I was p*ssed off about the terrible flatspotting and ridiculous handling in the snow and wet. I've been very happy with the Falkens and you absolutelly can't beat the value!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Instructor

I have the 512's as well, but after letting my car sit last weekend for a couple days, I noticed the vibration at 55mph while getting on the highway. I was really surprised cause this vibration episode was the most noticeable out of the few I've had. Do you think these tires have flatspotting issues as well?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Advanced

GET your Tires balanced.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Advanced

GET your Tires balanced.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro

Originally posted by jzinckgra
I have the 512's as well, but after letting my car sit last weekend for a couple days, I noticed the vibration at 55mph while getting on the highway. I was really surprised cause this vibration episode was the most noticeable out of the few I've had. Do you think these tires have flatspotting issues as well?
ANY tire will develop flat spots sitting idle for several days, especially if the weather is cold.