Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Locks

When I initially purchased my 04 TL (early November), I immediately replaced the stock rims to chrome rims (personal preference). I, too, eventuallly deveolped the vibration problems with the stock Bridgestone tire. Just yesterday, I replaced the tire with the Pirelli PZero Nero. Noticeable improvement. When the service guy at Discount tire went to remove the rims, he noticed a lock on the rims and asked for the key to remove it. I told him I didn't know anything about wheels locks on the vehicle. Back I went to the aftermarket rim dealer to inquire if whether or not they installed the wheels locks and didn't tell me and consequently didn't give me the key. Well, they didn't. By this time I'm getting a little pissed because, damn it, somebody installed these locks and I don't have a key for them. We proceed to look in the back of the trunk and lo and behold there is the key sitting there with the spare tire and accessories. Do the wheel locks come standard with the vehicle. I hear of other's purchasing these, but I didn't.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Racer

Wheel locks are not standard, but are a very common "freebie" accessory.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Wheel Locks

More and more dealers start to throw down whatever they can give into the contract after you begin to negotiate. Wheel Lock is one of them without any arguement...

I believe your dealer failed to introduce this to you and caused you trouble...
Old 12-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Instructor

It has been my experience that wheels locks are probably a waste of money especially against the professional thief. I have seen tire shops routinely remove wheels with locks without having the key so this would lead me to think there must be a tool on the market that allows them to do this and if so, the would be thief would probably have one too.

Also wheel locks have been known to throw off wheel balance. I was told that the wheel locks should be located on the wheel stud closest to the wheel valve stem. Don’t ask me why.

Another thing about wheel locks is where to store the key without compromising ready accessibility versus a secure spot against making it easy for the thief.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Chitown-TL
It has been my experience that wheels locks are probably a waste of money especially against the professional thief
Nothing you do helps against professional thiefs, even lojack. If someone that is a professional thief wants your car he gets it.

What it does protect is against the teens etc that want to upgrade his car for free. Maybe not against all of them, but it will help. I have never bought locks myself, but since they gave them to me for free I will use them.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do teens "hotwire" cars and go "joy riding" anymore?

I didn't think they did.. tought that went out int he 80s, but I guess I could be wrong
Old 12-17-2003, 08:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MikeRadio
Do teens "hotwire" cars and go "joy riding" anymore?

I didn't think they did.. tought that went out int he 80s, but I guess I could be wrong
Don't belittle them. I ever saw two young kids driving away a 9? Accord after cutting wheels with 20 seconds to disable the club. There could be some professional teens out there...
Old 12-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Instructor

When I take my 2002 TL-S in and they have to take the wheels off, I tell them where the key is but they tell me they have a master key. If they can get a master key so can the thieves. Also, after the idiots at Dodge used an impact wench on the locks on my truck and stripped them out and put them back on, I had no way to get them off. I was so pissed I refused to go back to the dealer. Pep Boys sells an impact socket kit that will bite into the outer surface of the lugnut and allow you to remove. You need an air impact wrench to use this though and the lugnuts are toast after using it but they were anyway - there were sparks flying when I used it. I *****ed to the service manager and they forked over the cost of a new set of lugnuts as well as the price of the removal tool. If they would have been smart they would have repaced them when they F@#ted them up and not pissed off a customer ( and everyone I told).
Old 12-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

We all got a key code in our first day to have TL, right? It's not like MB. Acura has thier own system to build the keys, it's in dealers. Although you don't have the key code or lose the code, they can easily call out your VIN, and find out the key mark and the immobilizer code, then program to you.

If the thieves or professional ones like to have your car, as long as you always park in the same place, who knows if they couldn't get your genuine key by your VIN?

The repair shop familiar with fixing Acura told me they can duplicate my key if I lose it. Actually, they ever replaced my old Acura's battery and activate my Radio without asking the code. I wonder only we have to carry those codes for years...

Old 12-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Racer

You can only do your best against the crooks. The down side is that if some PRO wants your car, he will get it, even locked in your garage. They even have soundproofed vans to take the car away with the alarm going!