3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel gap seems inconsistent, or am I just crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel gap seems inconsistent, or am I just crazy?

I think im just going crazy... but I've been noticing lately that when I park my car on what seems to be a flat surface, like my garage, the wheel gap on my passenger front seems bigger than the drivers front...

but when I take it to a gas station and check it, they seem even...

I think Im just way too paranoid, but just wanted to see if anyone else notices anything.

this sh!t stresses me out..
Old 01-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Grab a yard stick and measure it from the ground.
I thought the same thing until I measured it.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Wheel gap seems inconsistent, or am I just crazy?

Originally posted by silvermullet
I think im just going crazy... but I've been noticing lately that when I park my car on what seems to be a flat surface, like my garage, the wheel gap on my passenger front seems bigger than the drivers front...

but when I take it to a gas station and check it, they seem even...

I think Im just way too paranoid, but just wanted to see if anyone else notices anything.

this sh!t stresses me out..
Do you own a large 36 inch "level". I had the same "stress" over another car I once owned - turned out, what looked like a level surface actuall had a minor twist in it. Check the level of the floor where the rear wheels sit and the front. If they are off at all it may give you that apperance.
If the floor is level, another procedure is to pop the hood, place the level across a known "true" area ie strut towers, radiator support etc. Compare that to the level of the floor at the front wheels. If they differ you propbably have an issue.
On my car, when parked in the driveway the front bumper had a larger gap on one side vs the other (but other parking locations it was perfect). My eyes had me thinking the driveway was level but the "twist" was actually the case.

good luck
Old 01-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Wheel gap seems inconsistent, or am I just crazy?

You ain't the paranoid... most of ppl are the same...

KJSmitty offers the very useful tips...
Old 01-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Advanced

yeah... i think there is a slight difference... I measured and it seems to be about 26.75 inches on the drivers side and a little under 27 inches on the passenger... does that indicate a problem? the difference seems a little less than 1/4 inch. Should I get it checked out... I will be installing springs soon, so will that fix it?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
... wrong... just found out so lately and deleted it... sorry... lunatic here...
Old 01-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
yeah... i think there is a slight difference... I measured and it seems to be about 26.75 inches on the drivers side and a little under 27 inches on the passenger... does that indicate a problem? the difference seems a little less than 1/4 inch.
OK, now we're getting into the realm of automotive hypochondriacism.

If it drives straight, doesn't pull, doesn't exhibit nasty handling or other things, it's probably fine.

You didn't measure wheel gap. You measured fender-to-floor. There are plenty of variables that can affect it, not the least of which are tire inflation and out-of-level of the surface the car is on.

Mike
Old 01-26-2004, 09:45 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah... i think there is a slight difference... I measured and it seems to be about 26.75 inches on the drivers side and a little under 27 inches on the passenger... does that indicate a problem? the difference seems a little less than 1/4 inch. Should I get it checked out... I will be installing springs soon, so will that fix it?
Silver, if the floor is not exact between front tires and rear it can cause a twist in the body thus placing more weight on either front wheel. So unless your sure the floor is the same "level", measuring between floor and fender isn't always accurate.

Anyway, changing the springs would take care of any "load" issue the stock springs may have. My guess is its your floor. On the other hand, if its something other than the springs, like svtmike mentioned their are many items one would have to look at. Definitely ensure even tire pressure and floor level (front and back) and go from their.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Advanced

thanks guys,

I really appreciate it... I am definitely not one of those 'oh my God, I have a scratch on my car' people... its just one of those things that just erks the crap out of me... but will soon forget.. just thought someone might have some insight.

Much respect and thanks to those who chimed in.