Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your opinion about stick shift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your opinion about stick shift?

Lately I've been trying to trade in my CL-P for another car that's manual because of the fact that the transmission will go anytime now and also the fact that lately I've been having several problems with the car period. First it was the windshield and blah blah blah. I went to look at a car and then my uncle gave me this BS speech about only 5% of the United States drive stick. It's hard to sell and plus you get sick and tired of it real fast. I mean everything has their Ups and Downs but he doesn't see that. Can I get some of your opinions on this please? Thanks.
In my opinion a manual is fuel efficient, reliable, and also easier to fix. Plus it keeps me awake when I drive long trips.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:04 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your uncle is right. Not a lot of people in the US drive stick shift. In other countries it's different. Some countries requires you to take your driving test on a stick shift.

I prefer stick shifts over automatics in coupes and sedans. For SUVs I prefer an auto.
I first got a 04 TL 5at and I missed the manual transmission. I traded the 5at for a 6mt. The 6mt is just so sweet with the TL. Test drive a 6mt and a 5at back to back.

Have you ever driven a stick shift before? Once you get used to it you'll love it. You won't get tired of it.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:44 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
The 6mt is just so sweet with the TL. Test drive a 6mt and a 5at back to back.

Have you ever driven a stick shift before? Once you get used to it you'll love it. You won't get tired of it.

One of the main reasons I gravitated toward the TL is because the manual is offered.
One thing I always disliked about driving a stick is talking on the cell phone and shifting while drinking a latte...big problem. No more. HFL and a bluetooth phone and I am cruising in style...
Old 12-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
I got a 6MT TL and it was the best decision I ever made, the car is so fun to drive, whenever I drive my brothers 5AT TL its just not as fun. You won't regret getting 6MT, for the same price you get Limited Slip Differencial, Brembo Brakes, thicker strut bar and thicker sway bar! Get the 6MT!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:04 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
When I took my test drives, 1st I drove the 5AT, followed by the 6MT.

There was no turning back!
6MT
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,127 Likes on 2,564 Posts
I've driven both the 5AT and 6M, and prefer the 6M. The clutch is a bit tricky however, it does not much travel at the engagement end. The feel is also a little vague compared to other Honda/Acura hydraulic clutches. The gearshift on the other hand is about as perfect as it gets for a manual transmission.

Like others have said before, factor in the stiffer anti-roll bars, Brembo front brakes, Torsen-like limited slip and not having to worry about if the auto will last the life of the car and it's a easy decision. Of course assuming you also like manuals.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 6MT and I love the clutch. Once you get the hang of it, you can really tear off the line.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Pro

With an engine the TL has, it'll be sacrilege not to mate it with a 6MT. Add to that Honda's reputation for slick manual trannys, there's no reason not to get a 6MT TL.

Another thing is if you want complete control of your car (like a control feak like me), a manual is the way to go.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Up until the purchase of my '05 TL I had always had a manual transmission. However after 4 years of driving in Miami traffic, I had had enough. If you live in a big city I would stay away from a MT; your uncle is right, the novelty will wear off very quickly.

Bob
Old 12-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies you guys. I really appreciate your help in this opinion question. I'm trying to get a used Nissan Maxima 2001 SE 20th Anniversary. Here's the link of the car.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by racersky
In my opinion a manual is fuel efficient
not really. manual has a potential to be more efficient, but usually people
driving manual end up revving it to high (because they can/want/etc) or
shifting it at the wrong RPM and fuel consumption goes up.

manual is harder to operate and it requires more attention and hands/legs
coordination. majority of people will be better of and safer with automatic.
I expect to hear comments about more control and stuff like that, to which I
will answer that for many people more control will really meant less control
since they don't really know what to do with it. but it does have a potential
as I mentioned before.

F1 cars at some point had automatic transmission and they decided to go
with manual because of the simple reason - automatic was too efficient
and it took big part of competition out of the race.

in short, manual transmission is a dying breed and anachronism and it will go
away soon. the only reason why it's good - it's fun to drive.

for the record, I have 6MT TL and I absolutely love it
Old 12-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Cruisin'

I have always driven 5MT or 6MT from my very first car. My dad, brother, and even sister are all the same way. It is definitely more fun, and gives you more control of the car in my opinion. If you are simply a "Point A to Point B" person then get a hybrid automatic. If you like to enjoy the journey between A and B, get the manual. For example, I like being able to leave the car in third gear and have that power available for passing or while I enter the freeway and then navigate the merge - in an automatic, the engine would shift up and down as I accelerated and decelerated. All that lurching and hesitation can take the fun out of things. Not so good on the gas mileage, but definitely more responsive and fun to drive.

Many years ago I went with the wife to test drive used Integras at CARMAX. I drove the automatic first to appease her and "give it a try." I took the standard out after that and the look on my face said it all - she knew we were sticking with a standard on my car. Both were used - automatic was the Special Edition trim with leather, which I wanted, but I wanted a manual more so went with the RS cloth seats.

I've wanted to buy a TL since the second generation came out. Was really close when the Type-S came out. My wife thought the sport-shift would be a good "compromise" between automatic and standard. But I held and held waiting for the 6MT, following the rumors on this board and in the auto magazines. Finally pulled the trigger on the 04 after the prices came down and am so glad I waited to get what I wanted (sold the 95 Integra with 135K miles to first guy I showed it to). The transmission is so smooth even my wife complemented it.

On the practical side - if you can drive a stick, you can drive anything. You never know when you will be in a situation when you have to drive a stick - a friend is in trouble and you need to drive them somewhere in their stickshift car. Also, if the battery is dead, you can pop the clutch and jump-start it - don't need jumper cables, just a push from a friend or good samaritan. Also, the sixth gear gives you better fuel economy at cruising speeds, especially on the long road trips.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Instructor

It's hard to sell and plus you get sick and tired of it real fast.
Only part-timers car enthusiests get sick and tired of it real fast.
Anyone who has a true appreciation of the car has a true appreciation of the manual. Regardless of which they drive.

In my opinion a manual is fuel efficient, reliable, and also easier to fix. Plus it keeps me awake when I drive long trips.
If thats your opinion, why do you care what he thinks? Or do you just want ppl to give facts about why manuals are beter?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:22 AM
Instructor

For me, the MT multiplies the fun factor of the TL quite a bit. I test drove both AT and MT and once I tried the MT, it was a no brainer. I doubt I will ever get tired of this sweet and smooth 6 speed shifter. It is a pleasure to drive. And I got MT despite of having to wait for the car 6 more weeks and despite the fact that it will be harder to sell.

Maybe the selling experience when I decide to sell my car will discourage me from ever buying a MT again. Who knows, maybe in 4-5 years, there will be no cars on the US market with a MT (I dread this moment) and everything will have CVTs ... It is a shame that the US is moving towards AT so much and fast. In Europe, more than 90% of cars are MT ...
Old 12-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Racer

I've never driven a stick and thought about getting one, but there were several reasons I decided to get the Auto.

1) It's easier to sell.
2) I drive in mostly stop-and-go traffic and I know I'll get sick of having to change gears so often.
3) I haven't learned to drive a stick and don't want to practice on a brand new TL.

So my plan is to enjoy the TL Auto I have now, learn how to drive a stick on the side, then when the next TL comes out with AWD, trade up and get the TL with MT. I know that by the time that happens, I'll be living somewhere else where I don't have to deal with lousy traffic on a daily basis and I won't want to sell my TL.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I'm too biased towards manual transmissions to give an objective opinion, but maybe my bias IS my opinion for your question.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob In Miami
Up until the purchase of my '05 TL I had always had a manual transmission. However after 4 years of driving in Miami traffic, I had had enough. If you live in a big city I would stay away from a MT; your uncle is right, the novelty will wear off very quickly.
I don't agree; I drive 15 miles each way to downtown DC every day with a 6MT (and a 5MT Accord before that, and a 5MT Legend before that) and I've never gotten tired of it. But then, that's why it's called an "opinion"!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
why???

Why does the transmission shift from 1 to 2 automatically on the 3rd gen and at red line on the 2rd generation. I like the prelude autoshift better. All manual
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 PM
I shift therefore I am

Having had an AT for 8 years and regretting not getting an MT, I didn't do the same mistake again.

Only way to find out if you like it or not is to try it out... it doesnt matter that everyone loves it when you dont!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:15 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
IMHO, the only reason to buy a 6MT is because you enjoy driving a stick period. All of the rationalization is just BS.

You will probably not get better gas mileage because you will not shift at optimum point always.

It will probably be harder to sell.

You will not have better control unless you pay special attention all the time.

It should however be less expensive to repair.

TO the above, so-what? If you want one and can afford it, get it. The logic really does not hol up under examination.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Intermediate

As everyone has already said it just really what you like to drive. Right now I did not know if if my next car will be a suv or a car but if I did get a car I would like to get a 6mt. Right now I have a accord 5sp and i really like driving it. Sometime I wish I had an auto but for me it just more fun to have a manual. Things im my life may change so I may have to get a auto for the wife but right now if the car has a manual option I like to get that. I will say that I test drove both the auto and 6mt. I like both as the auto has the sports shift but if you like to use the sports shift. I was able to drive a firend audi that has that a sports shifter and it was nice and easy to drive for a long period of time so both will be fun. Just try both and see which one you like
Old 12-21-2004, 12:55 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by MR1
IMHO, the only reason to buy a 6MT is because you enjoy driving a stick period. All of the rationalization is just BS.

You will probably not get better gas mileage because you will not shift at optimum point always.

It will probably be harder to sell.

You will not have better control unless you pay special attention all the time.

It should however be less expensive to repair.

TO the above, so-what? If you want one and can afford it, get it. The logic really does not hol up under examination.
Its not the ONLY reason. I got a stick to keep my wife from driving my car and of course because I love driving a stick as you said.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:17 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

My family always told me I wouldn't want a stick and that it would be a waste b/c I would hate it. I moved to Atlanta, bought a 6MT TL, drive rush hour traffic every day, and do not regret at all getting the manual. Some will tell you that the TL's clutch is kinda weird. It has a narrow, late engagement point- but once you get used to it, it's silky smooth gearbox makes you feel like you're rowing a boat. Like I said, this is my first manual. It took me about 2.5K miles to get really good with it, but WELL WORTH IT!

Like Paladin said earlier,
"One thing I always disliked about driving a stick is talking on the cell phone and shifting while drinking a latte...big problem. No more. HFL and a bluetooth phone and I am cruising in style..."

If you buy the TL, and get a manual, you NEED to get a bluetooth phone as well. You'll NEVER regret it. I would still like the car without the HFL, but it makes all the difference in the world (plus it's cool! hehe)
Old 12-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Instructor

I wish I could have gotten a stick, but driving around NY city is a pain with an MT. Whenever I am out of the state I wish I had gotten it.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro

Thanks for the replies you guys. I really appreciate your help in this opinion question. I'm trying to get a used Nissan Maxima 2001 SE 20th Anniversary. Here's the link of the car.
Hey, sweet. My previous car was a black 5spd 01 Max. But it wasn't the 20thAE.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:09 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Casper42
Its not the ONLY reason. I got a stick to keep my wife from driving my car and of course because I love driving a stick as you said.
Oops, forgot that one but be aware, if she is determined she'll still drive it...got married didn't you? j/k

Other solution, get an extra car for yourself, one A/T, one M/T. Just something for you youngsters to look forward to!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:36 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

IMHO, the only reason to buy a 6MT is because you enjoy driving a stick.

A-TL 04 , SSM/Eb , 6MT , N/Nav
------------------------------------
A-GSR 95 , stock , 5MT
T-Celica 80 , 4MT , RWD
ZAZ-Tavria 88 , 5MT
Old 12-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

life's too short for automatic transmission
Old 12-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Racer

I live in NYC and get stuck in traffic all the time yet I don't mind the 6MT the least bit. For me, this is the best combination of smooth shifting and excellent power in a car that I have had the pleasure of driving. One test drive of the 6MT and you will be hooked. I didn't even bother testing the AT, just went straight for the manual. If you are a true manual enthusiat, then this car should definitely be on your list.

Honestly though, it all boils down to you. Take everything written in this thread, compare it with the test drive, then decide for yourself if this MT is for you. Remember, ultimately it is YOU who will be driving this car the most. Get what you truly want. The other people in your life will just have to learn how to operate a MT.

Just like my fiance....
Old 12-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 6mtV6
Your uncle is right. Not a lot of people in the US drive stick shift. In other countries it's different. Some countries requires you to take your driving test on a stick shift.

I prefer stick shifts over automatics in coupes and sedans. For SUVs I prefer an auto.
I first got a 04 TL 5at and I missed the manual transmission. I traded the 5at for a 6mt. The 6mt is just so sweet with the TL. Test drive a 6mt and a 5at back to back.

6mtV6 speaks truth I have had several stick shifts and miss them oh so much, the sportshift jst doesn't guite do it for me.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 AM
Banned

The 5AT is a complete bore. You might as well go buy an Accord.

Depends if you like to veg out when you drive or if you like to be one, with the road. The 6MT is a far superior automobile if you don't have to hang out in traffic every day.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:48 AM
I shift therefore I am

Some people seem to comment on the 6MT without even having driven one... now I believe driving a stick or an auto is a personal choice given the tradeoffs of each choice - to each his own - buy what makes you smile when go out. But, you'll know what you like, only when you experience both.

I strongly suggest that you drive both and decide which one is good for you. I dont think either choice can be declared as bad in a general way. The objective advantages/disadvatages usually are insignificant and this choice has become more or less subjective. Spend your well-earned $35K on something that you would enjoy, not some car magazine editor or an uncle!

Me - I didnt know how to drive a stick until 3 months ago. Rented a stick for a week, taught myself, test drove both AT and MT, and bought the MT! Sure, I had some trouble for the first week or so, but have been totally having fun the last 2 months!

-------------------------------------------------
Happy Holidays and drive your TL safely!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:22 AM
Drifting

I've had 3 Acura's with automatic tranny's and this TL is an absolute joy to drive with the 6MT...GET IT...you won't regret it. btw....you won't have any trouble when it comes time to sell the car...the demand for MT TL's far exceeds the supply and if anything, you will probably get more money for the car down the road when it's time to sell. Several years ago, I purchased a Legend, and although I got an automatic, they had a 6MT Legent Coupe on the lot, and they were selling it for $28,000. I paid $15,000 for my Legend with similar miles although it wasn't a coupe, the dealer told me that since the 6mt Legend Coupe was so rare, they were asking a premium for the car. I wanted it so bad, but just couldn't convince myself to pay $28K for a used car. You are going to LOVE the 6MT TL...it's an absolute dream to drive...and fun too!!
Old 12-22-2004, 05:55 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To JetJock;

My sentiments, exactly. The manuals move with no trouble in my area and are quite popular. Being that this car's flagship in its ads and brochure emphasize the manual tranny, it's easy to see the market Acura wants to carry the torch for the TL.