Sponsored by:

what's wrong w/ Redondo Red?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:30 PM
jjy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what's wrong w/ Redondo Red?

is it harder to take care of? I saw the poll of colors and red is way at the bottom.

I have a soft spot for red b/c my current car is red, but brighter than redondo, and somewhat faded. However, I really do like the anthricite, silver, and black! As you can tell, I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding which color I'll ultimately get.

Your thoughts? (beyond the "it's your personal preference...)

thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Mmmm, you're talking about this thread... https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/bought-fender-74135/

However, your RRP is still more than DGP and DMM.

It's the personal taste and preference. If you like the specific color and ppl around you like it, please go for it. It's your car, not their car, make yourself happy.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Racer

i as a kid like dgp with camel very classy but one i was lookin for a more sporty look with my ssm / ebony/navi 5at/ and 2 dgp is dark too hard to clean even thought i clean muy ssm 1nce every 5 days
Old 12-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
red is a rare color now!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red is HOTT !!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I initiallywanted a 6sp man (RR w/ ebony). I couldnt find one for a good month so i took a SSM / Quartz. I really like the Red, I kick myself whenever i see one on the road. I should have waited..
Old 12-13-2004, 08:16 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Red is a lot harder as far as scratch maintenance... you can see almost everything in this shade of red.

Personally my color choices were:
Abyss Blue Pearl
Satin Silver Metallic
Anthracite Metallic
White Diamond Pearl

and here were my reasons why I chose the WDP:

Abyss Blue Pearl - LOVE this color, but is a novelty color and probably would get old in a couple years...might regret

Satin Silver Metallic - A classic...everyone loves silver......but maybe too much... over 60% of all vehicles sold last year were silver.

Anthracite Metallic - Tough one between this and the DWP.... nice....classy.... hmmmm

White Diamond Pearl - Every time I saw this color... I drooled.... was my deciding factor that I felt all funny when I saw this color :P
Old 12-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
I initiallywanted a 6sp man (RR w/ ebony). I couldnt find one for a good month so i took a SSM / Quartz. I really like the Red, I kick myself whenever i see one on the road. I should have waited..
I like my RR/ebony 6sp TL. I had to wait 3 months for it, though, and I'm glad I did. I haven't noticed any obvious scratch issues, but I had a black car before this one.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Except for the dealers' lots I've seen only 1 RR TL on the road. I'd never buy a red car myself (well, maybe a 'Vette) but the TL was awesome in red. The paint looked very metallic.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered my 6 speed navi in RRP with Parchment and am still extremely happy after 9 months. I would urge you to try and see the exact combination you are considering in person. It is worth the time and effort. Also, if you are serious about one of the less popular choices, be prepared to special order or have a cooperative dealer scan a large region for your combo. For me, it was worth the wait of a special order to get exactly what I wanted.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Dunno.......maybe this is my mid-life crisis car. All I know is when I saw a TL in RRP, I was hooked and never even thought about another color after that. It's red enough to be hot....but not quite all the way to "arrest me" red. Come on over to "Club Red."
Old 12-13-2004, 10:10 PM
JT3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I never considered any other color. When buying my TL, I told the dealer it HAD to be RRP. If anything, I wish it were a bit darker, but I'm not unhappy with the color. (My wife has a Jeep which is "Deep Lava Red" -- a red that is so dark, it's almost brown -- I love that color, but RRP really looks good on the TL.)

I think this color is kind of like the whole "spoiler" debate. If you're wanting a sporty luxury car, you go for a standard "luxury" color like silver, grey (anthracite) or black, with a lip spoiler (if anything). If you want a luxurious sports car, you go for a brighter color like red with a wing spoiler. I've driven sports cars pretty much all my life (mostly Mustangs), so I went for the latter option, while most people, I think, go for the former option.

One benefit: While I'm starting to see more and more 3rd-gen TLs, I've yet to see another RRP color with a wing spoiler. So far, mine is unique in my area, which is how I like it. I am NOT a "blend in with the crowd" type.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Pro

I wanted the same colors you did.... and they told me none had been ordered for two months prior to me getting my car...

So what did I get..... SSM/QUARTZ!!! We Texans must think alike.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jjy
is it harder to take care of? I saw the poll of colors and red is way at the bottom.

I have a soft spot for red b/c my current car is red, but brighter than redondo, and somewhat faded. However, I really do like the anthricite, silver, and black! As you can tell, I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding which color I'll ultimately get.

Your thoughts? (beyond the "it's your personal preference...)

thanks in advance.
It's a really rewarding color though... My wife's TL is Redondo Red. And I'm pretty much a freek when it comes to detailing. I think I have two whole shelves in the garage full of nothing but detailing stuff... (not including the leaf blower).... And I keep an emergency microfiber towel and bottle of detail spray in every car's trunk

Anyways, a little while ago, my wife and I were walking back to the car at night, (which was parked near a street light), and a small group of people were actually walking around the car, asking me what was my secret to getting the paint to luster like that

When I told them, I spent like 6 hours the previous day washing, claying, polishing, waxing, etc, they looked at me like I was crazy.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:58 PM
Racer

I came very close to getting red. I love the way the TL looks in red and I love that few people have it. But I saw a black and red TL parked next to one another and black just looked better. Plus I was worried about getting stopped by police.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
I came very close to getting red. I love the way the TL looks in red and I love that few people have it. But I saw a black and red TL parked next to one another and black just looked better. Plus I was worried about getting stopped by police.
You'll hear no argument from me. We almost bought black. Only reason we didn't, was because our other car was black.

Color has no bearing on getting pulled over. That's the oldest old wive's tale. Besides... I've never gotten pulled over in my wife's Redondo Red TL, but I've been pulled over a couple times in my blue G35 coupe. One time this cop even told me to never try to outrun him on HIS freeways. (I don't even know what he was talking about. I wasn't even exceeding the limit, since I knew he was a few cars behind me when I was merging onto the freeway. But I did see him cut-off like 3 people trying to chase me down.) He told me I was "Accelerating too fast" on the freeway on-ramp. (keep in mind this particular on-ramp was a stop sign with a 90 degree turn onto a freeway with 70+mph traffic, and a pitifully short acceleration lane. You pretty much gotta floor it and pray, if you don't have a decently peppy car.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Cruisin'

Red was really the only color I seriously considered. I wanted something that was unique and stood out - I have yet to see another RRP on the road (city of 500,000+) in the 4 months I've had mine. Everyone has given me very nice complements on how sharp it looks.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:51 AM
Gratis dictum

In truth, the Redondo Red is more of a bergundy color, and it seems to change hues depending on the lighting. (I probably shouldn't admit this, but the color I really wanted was Garnet Fire Pearl found on the G-35. Didn't get that, though.)
Old 12-14-2004, 06:07 AM
Racer

There's nothing wrong with a red TL so long as you don't plan on reselling it.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:32 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got one. RRP with Camel. Love it.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I liked the red with camel, but they got an NBP with camel (6MT with Navi) in stock first and I liked the way it looked, so I went with that. I was in a bit of a crunch and couldn't wait around to order one since my previous car had just been totaled in a wreck! I thought the red looked very nice, though. The 5AT with Navi on which I did my first test drive was red.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm Baaack!

IMHO RRP is one of the most luxurious colors out .. It is also a very unique color on the Acura.. It changes hue from purple tones at night to a very distinctive red in sunlight. When clean it looks amazing (and subsequently I am a bit of a fanatic about keeping it clean) ..

I told the dealer I was looking for RRP w/ camel 5AT w/ Nav he asked what my second color choice would be I told him my second choice would be RRP w/ camel and no nav.

Can you believe I had to wait a full 6 days for him to do a locate! Good thing I'm a patient man
Old 12-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
You'll hear no argument from me. We almost bought black. Only reason we didn't, was because our other car was black.

Color has no bearing on getting pulled over. That's the oldest old wive's tale. Besides... I've never gotten pulled over in my wife's Redondo Red TL, but I've been pulled over a couple times in my blue G35 coupe.
Actually COLOR does have a direct bearing on tickets as well as does car type. This is NOT a wive's tail. I used to work for the DMV in another state (which shall remain nameless so I don't get in trouble) and I looked at the statistics compiled and RED was over represented. There was even a study done in Texas to actually quantify this effect. The study pretty clearly showed that REDcars received more tickets. Car body style played a significant factor as well. Convertibles received a disproportionate share of tickets. It was covered a few years back I think in either R&T or Motor Trend magazines.

If you want an interesting read about reducing the chance for tickets I suggest going here:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/45280/article.html

and here:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/traffictix/traffictixFULL.html

It is good news for all you neat freaks driving a perfectly clean dark car.

Even though I really liked RR I didn't buy just because of my personal experience with red cars. I have owned 4 red cars out of about 70 and those 4 cars counted for over 1/2 my tickets and they weren't typically the fastest of my cars. So when it came time to buy a TL it was either Silver or Anthracite for me.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

I love my RRP TL!

The only place I've seen a red TL is the dealer lots. I had a hell of a time finding one with an Ebony interior. No one is MD & VA had one, so the dealer had to DX one from Pittsburgh. There were 2 in Pittsburgh, one dealer didn't want to deal it and eventually sold it when we tried a second time. The second place wanted a blue non-navi TL with a Quartz interior, and my dealer had a blue with a parchment interior.

They called their customer, who agreed to parchment & a deal was struck. I had my RRP & Ebony two days later-they trailered it for me & charged $200 for the service, which I gladly paid.

I saw a Desert Mist this weekend for the first time, and I gotta say, that may just be my second favorite color. Very understated. Classy, IMHO.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 AM
10th Gear

The red car ticket issue: Do you think cops pull over red cars preferentially, or do you think speeders buy red cars?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:03 AM
Gearhead

Actually the stats I saw is that the red cars "usually" were speeding less than the ones in other colors when they were actually ticketed. Of course there could be more of an attitude with drivers of red cars. There is a reason why a bright Ferrari Red is called "Arrest Me Red!"

I don't want to really comment on my almost incredible lack of tickets in my life so as to not jinx myself but I've driven well over 1,000,000 miles in the us and about 200,000 km in Europe and I believe in driving in a "stealthy" manner so as not to attract undue attention. I have avoided like the plague red cars after my early practical experience showed me that it didn't matter how I drove I was more of a target. The final straw was when I was driving a brand new red SUV. It had exactly 52 miles on it when I got stopped the first time for doing 58 in a 55. The troopers comments were you looked like you were going a little fast. I was in shock. Fortunately before he could write me a ticket I showed my DMV badge and cruised without a ticket. I got stopped 4 more times in that truck for incredibly minor speeding infractions and fortunately I skated on all except one and I beat that one in court.

Best advice for beating a ticket is not to get stopped in the first place! No more red cars after that at all. That was my final one. Never ever ever again am I going to buy a red car unless it is a Ferrari of course. It would be heresy to buy a car without prancing horse on the hood and not get it in red. The car gods would curse me forever.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Gratis dictum

Ah, wavshrdr, we think alike. I have owned four red vehicles and never got a ticket in any of them. My only ticket in 1.5 million miles of driving was in a nondescript underpowered Toyota back in 1972. Moreover, I don't have a light foot, but do drive in a stealthy manner so as not to attract undue attention. No radar detector either.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Gearhead

Repecat- I can definitely say I don't have a light foot too. It is too easy to reach triple digit speeds in some of my cars or motorcycles. For the most part I don't use a radar detector either. Usually at the speeds I travel all a detector will usually do is tell me I am going to get a ticket. You have to think like the "enemy" and slow down in areas where there are likely to be speed traps.

I have lived in many different areas in my life so it is not like I've had a lot of local knowledge but my instincts and training over the years have helped me from putting myself at greater risk of a ticket.

So now even though I drive pretty fast I try to attract as little attention as possible. No bright flashy colors. No cheesy graphics, stickers or ricey wings (only very subtle trunk lip at most). I tend to drive the fast but non-descript versions of hi-perf cars. For example my race WRX is the wagon. When it's on the street I even keep the stock wheels (with good tires of course). Better to be stealthy than to get a souvenir.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:46 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Other reason red is at the bottom of the list is that "silver" is the number one color in the USA right now and the world acording to Dupont paints.

So, right now the world is going through a gray period (could be that everyone has no time and silver always looks clean)

In terms of cops, red just attracts more attention, so when you drive by one, you tend to get noticed vs the sleeper dark colors.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Banned

RRP is just a boring color, that is why it is at the bottom of the list. Not because it bad it just would look better on a car with softer lines like the Accord.

If Honda had a brighter red available (San Marino) I probably would have gone that route instead of NBP.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm Baaack!

Here's a photo thread for all the non-RRP owners cruising through. Even these pics don't do the color justice.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=RRP
Old 12-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
isn rondo red not available on the 05' model??? ive seen only 1 red tl and it was still hot!!! i think acura made it a limited color.....
Old 12-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Yes, it's still available for '05.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluenote
Yes, it's still available for '05.
Is it?? I thought I read somewhere they were changing over to something called "Ruby Red" for '05.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dkrudop
Is it?? I thought I read somewhere they were changing over to something called "Ruby Red" for '05.
Funny you mention that... I went to the dealer to get touch up paint. I said I had redondo red pearl. They said that that color wasn't available for my model year. They asked me to get the paint code from my door sticker... So I did... They said, it's Ruby Red Quartz. I was like, "Whatever"...

I go to the dealer to pick it up... The bottle said "Redondo Red Pearl"...
Old 12-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Yeah, that sort of thing happens sometimes. The info they had in the parts department was all they were probably familiar with, and they had no reason to assume it was incorrect.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd double check the code on the bottle, and check it to make sure it matches.

Now that I think about it, isn't Ruby Red a TSX color?
Old 12-15-2004, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bluenote
Yeah, that sort of thing happens sometimes. The info they had in the parts department was all they were probably familiar with, and they had no reason to assume it was incorrect.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd double check the code on the bottle, and check it to make sure it matches.

Now that I think about it, isn't Ruby Red a TSX color?
Paint code matches

But on a side note, I know Acura royally botched their paint codes. When I first bought the car, I thought I was getting Fire-Pepper Red, as that's what the brochure said. (My paper work even says that) So I ordered a spoiler in Fire-Pepper Red. Drove the 150 miles to the dealer to have it installed. Only to find out, that I actually have Redondo Red Pearl. They explained that Acura changed the names of the paint codes at the end of the 03' model year, but only updated the computer, not any of the printed documents. (At least I had a nice RL loaner for a week, while I waited for the correct spoiler to arrive)
Old 12-15-2004, 06:36 AM
I'm Baaack!

I got the same thing, good news is that Ruby Red toouch-up paint is an exact match for RRP.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Pit Stop?

The only reason I don't entertain the thought of the RRP, is that it's also available on the Accord. Seems to ruin the exclusivity/luxury of it..........
Old 06-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro

WOW!!! This is what happened to me.... I wanted the RR/ Ebony and got the same info... they had not made one in the past two months and the dealership had ordered that day so it would be a long time to get one.... I waited awhile, but then did go for the SSM /Quartz and like it a lot!!! I do not regret having this one at all, but if I buy another I can now wait

Quick Reply: what's wrong w/ Redondo Red?