Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would happen if?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
What would happen if?

I have always wondered about this, but am not stupid enough to try it in any of my cars. But I am very curious about it.

What would happen if you are going say 50 - 60 MPH and you decide to turn the car off!
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think the short answer to that is ..

the car would STOP

JK

TL42 - Gord
Old 06-17-2005, 10:33 AM
9th Gear

If you were to turn it off all the way (3rd click), the steering will lock and unless you put it in neutral first (or depress the clutch) so will the trans... you'll likely wreck

can't say I've ever heard of anyone trying it
Old 06-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there must be a fail safe. Why you would want to do that I am not sure. For starters, if you have lost your breaks(I understand there is also a backup line), and your E brakes, you would want to have access in order to down shift to slow down. Turning off your engine/electronics would inhibit that ability if you have an Auto. If you have a fire, pull over and stop first. I am not positive what would happen, but if you are willing to try it...
Old 06-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Please try it and report back to us once you're out of ICU.

Not much would happen. You'd slow to a halt, but you couldn't lock the steering wheel or shift out of gear (AT) without turning the key to the off position and removing it.

Regards,
Old 06-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Instructor

If you shift into neutral first, then you'll coast a lot farther than keeping it in gear. Keep in mind that the power steering and brakes would fade, and it will take more effort to steer and use the brakes.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm Baaack!

I recommend wating until you have Jon and Ponch riding in front of you in a police car (because they're off the motorcycles because of bad weather). Cut the engine, then signal frantically to them that you have no brakes. Jon will manuever the cruiser in front of you and slow you using his brakes. (Oh wait, that's already been done) ...

Never mind!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gas mileage would increase for every mile you go without the engine on. Better to do this at the top of a hill than at the bottom of a hill.

A/C would not work. If you turn it all the way off you would not be able to use your Navi, radio, or other electronics.
Don't attempt this anywhere else than a straight road. Don't do this in rush hour traffic either.

I think all this is very obvious.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Not much other than losing all engine driven functions and accessories. Just put the car back in neutral and restart, put it back in drive and go

I had a bad crank sensor in my formerly owned Grand Am. Sometimes at highway speeds, it would just shut off, basically like turning the key to the accessory setting. No power steering or brakes obviously because the engine was not running. Funny thing is when I floored the gas with the engine off, the auto tranny still downshifted..?? Although I must admit, I was not laughing whenever it happened.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gadgets
Not much other than losing all engine driven functions and accessories. Just put the car back in neutral and restart, put it back in drive and go

I had a bad crank sensor in my formerly owned Grand Am. Sometimes at highway speeds, it would just shut off, basically like turning the key to the accessory setting. No power steering or brakes obviously because the engine was not running. Funny thing is when I floored the gas with the engine off, the auto tranny still downshifted..?? Although I must admit, I was not laughing whenever it happened.
same exact thing happened in my 91 grand am

i would be driving then all of a sudden the car would go off, i would turn the key to off then back on

basically nothing will happen to the car, you will lose all power, but can not remove the key, if try to turn the wheel u can lock it
Old 06-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Retired MOD

If you do, then you will coast.

Your brakes are still the same there is no second line or anything is just that the power booster will not work, so it is harder to apply a lot of brake force.

Nothing happens to your steering either, just that you will no longer have (power) steering, not a big deal when drivng over 15 mph I would say, your sterring just becomes more stiff no help from the fluid.

If you do attempt this, please do so in neutral. I'm not sure, but if your tramsmission is engaged (in gear) I beleive it will your crankshaft turn meaning that your cilinders will be going up and down, but the gas will be cut off.

This is were it gets interesting, if you are engaged (in gear) and the statement above is true then it means that the engine will still be sucking air. With that said your brake booster will still work, because it uses the engine suction to work. Your power steering will also work, because it is attached to the engine with belts.

So in neutral then no power assisted brakes and no power steering. slow down slowly

Gear engaged (D) then will have brakes and power steering, but will slow down faster.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:20 PM
Team Anthracite Member

That was such a great show....

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
I recommend wating until you have Jon and Ponch riding in front of you in a police car (because they're off the motorcycles because of bad weather). Cut the engine, then signal frantically to them that you have no brakes. Jon will manuever the cruiser in front of you and slow you using his brakes. (Oh wait, that's already been done) ...

Never mind!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:58 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

try this... it sounds neat.... i have not done it with the TL, i did it sometimes with my 94 GSR

shut it off, in gear.... then floor it... it sounds cool
Old 06-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

My teacher has lost his engine in his caddy while driving. You will loose AC, Power Steering, Brake Vaccume(and other vaccum assist stuff(is the clutch assisted?) along with your cooling pump wich you wouldnt need if the engine wasnt running. You would also start drinking the battery. Just to let everyone know, when a battery looses 100% of its charge the plates start to dissolve.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kenrok1
If you were to turn it off all the way (3rd click), the steering will lock and unless you put it in neutral first (or depress the clutch) so will the trans... you'll likely wreck

can't say I've ever heard of anyone trying it
you can do it you just have to put it in neutral and you wont have power steering or power brakes. i have had to do this to diag bs noises.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I did it in Drivers Ed with a Ford Focus. I had to shift to Neutral, and lost power steering and brakes. It was quite difficult to stop, but it was a blast
Old 06-20-2005, 05:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
OK I think I better question would be what if I had an automatic tranny and turned the engine off while going 50 - 60 MPH?