3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Stopped You From Getting the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxima ownw especially with Elite package it's more of a SPort Sedan compared to TL. plus standard 18inch wheels are awesome.

ONly if the MAxima was cheaper i'd got the Maxima instead this 2nd Gen TL.

and did you notice how bright MAxima Xenon lights are? THey are so bright, and i fell in love with it the first time i saw it.

Nissan interior sucks though, my friend's Murano sucks like hell even compared to my 2nd Gen TL. How cheap can painted silver plastic be!! damn it.

If you want a car with alot power and looks great on the outside, then Maxima is it.

3rd Gen TL > MAXIMA > 2nd GEN TL~
Old 05-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fossil_TL
Maxima ownw especially with Elite package it's more of a SPort Sedan compared to TL. plus standard 18inch wheels are awesome.

ONly if the MAxima was cheaper i'd got the Maxima instead this 2nd Gen TL.

and did you notice how bright MAxima Xenon lights are? THey are so bright, and i fell in love with it the first time i saw it.

Nissan interior sucks though, my friend's Murano sucks like hell even compared to my 2nd Gen TL. How cheap can painted silver plastic be!! damn it.

If you want a car with alot power and looks great on the outside, then Maxima is it.

3rd Gen TL > MAXIMA > 2nd GEN TL~
fIx YoUr CaPs LoCk PlEaSe...

Old 05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
aw1
Pro

1 reason only, the car is ugly!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EpiK
fIx YoUr CaPs LoCk PlEaSe...

Lol, must be a sticky finger =P

Never cap 'i', it looks ugly if you do
Old 05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by EpiK
Well, I dunno if most CEOs would appreciate being driven to lunch in a Fiesta. I'm betting they would rather drive you in their $100K car instead.
The Fiesta is pushing it a bit, but I think my point was made.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
All in the family.

apwalsh: Do you know who that is pictured in your avatar? He has a famous brother.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Ok, then. Go out there and ask people randomnly what brands they think are more luxurious and superior, among BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti and Acura.

I bet Acura will finish dead last. Acura is not as luxury branded as those other companies.
I get BMW and Mercedes being lumped together in the Upper Tier Luxury Class, but Lexus? Huh?

Let's not forget that the only reason that Lexus is where you think it is is because Acura dropped the ball for 10+ years. Lexus has been artificially propped up to BMW/MB status simply because their Japanese competition vanished. No way in hell someone drives up at the country club in a Lexus and is treated better than one driving a Benz or Bimmer. No way.

While its still early, the new RL is going to go a long way to getting Acura back atop the Japanese group and, as a result, will bring Lexus back in it's propper wannabe place.

As for Infinity, I have no idea who'd consider them above Acura. They've got 1 car that rates, it's a 2-seat sports coupe, and it's definitely not very luxurious.

BJ
Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Xpditor
apwalsh: Do you know who that is pictured in your avatar? He has a famous brother.
It's Chaka, aka Mark McGrath
Old 05-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Live and Learn

Originally Posted by apwalsh
It's Chaka, aka Mark McGrath
It's Philip Paley who really hasn't been seen without the Cha-ka makeup.

For some reason, I thought it was Clint Howard but research set me straight.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Instructor

For some reason, I thought it was Clint Howard but research set me straight.
It does look like Clint Howard. It's uncanny.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,136 Likes on 2,572 Posts
Good response, well written.

Originally Posted by MR1
Interesting how you folks can take things out of context and run, run, run.

The quote from me was Acura = Lexus = Infiniti

The reference was tied initially to a suggestion that someone look at the history of the brands from their inception.

Most of you attackers have little or no knowledge of the history of the brands. I suggested that you do a little research. Since you already know everything needed to defend your positions it was easier to just name call.

This is brief but to the point. Honda is one of the youngest and smallest Japanese manufacturers of cars. They have also been one of the most innovative.

Acura was the first upscale Japanese brand launched. The purpose was to compete in the more upscale American market where cheap Japanese cars had been absent. It was a bold move similar to what VW attempted and failed at last year. Honda (Acura) dived in first and had great success.

A few years later Datsun and Toyota also wanted some of the market that Acura had identified. Both companies had and have resources far superior to those of Honda. I think all three brands marketed a less expensive and a more expensive model. Infiniti struggled with poor sales of their ugly cars until just recently. Datsun/Nissan had severe financial problems and almost went under. Toyota/Lexus one upped Acura with V8 engine and an even more upscale near luxury car. Lexus also produced some ugly doggy Camary copies.

Honda/Acura continues along their own road and competes in their own little niche. Acura also has had some mis-steps along with their success.

Bottom Line - Who cares? Think and buy what you want for whatever reason.

You, if it fits you are whom I'm addressing, might want to gather accurate information before launching personal attacks aganist people that have diferent thoughts than yours.

And, I still didn't buy a Maxima because I think the TL is the better car for me.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Good response, well written.

It doesn't take much research, or even much memory, to find out how the Japanese-3 made their up market move, or who started the 'trend'. Each of the 3 offer something the other doesn't and each have their following. Why isn't it ok to just say, in response to a ? about why you chose A over B, 'because I just liked it better'? No matter how you break down pros and cons there will always be an element of emotion involved in a buying decision, and emotions defy logic. That's not a bad thing, it's life. Some are 'badge driven', others are features driven, others are driven by perceived value. To each their own. I have heard it said that when someone runs out of meaningful things to say they resort to personal attacks.....

As for me, Nissans have always left me cold, all of them. I can appreciate some of their benefits over the years, and the G-cars are the one I would buy if I had to buy one, but for me Nissan just doesn't do it.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Racer

I owned 2 Maximas before I bought the TL. When the current version of the Max came out I thought it was ugly too. But it actually has grown on me over time. But as I've said in other threads, exterior styling isn't that big a deal to me. I spend most of my time inside the car.

I actually like the Maxima interior more than I liked the G35. At least the Maxima didn't feel cramped like the G35. I much preferred the G35 exterior but that wasn't a real factor.

And people can talk about how useless some of the features on the Maxima that the TL lacks are to them. That's fine. But I really miss the heated steering wheel. The one on my 2002 got HOT!!! And I really miss the truly automatic headlights. Anybody that doesn't say Acura missed the boat by not offering that feature is just trying to blow smoke up your ass. The only feature missing that I don't have a need for is the auto-moving back of the seat when you enter and exit. Unfortunately my seat is always all the way back anyway.

I too missed the (wrongly named) birds-eye view onthe navigation. But their system is no longer even a touch screen. That's a major negative. The voice commands on the TL is a major positive. But the biggest positive is being able to program it while driving. However after almost screwing up a few times I see why most manufactures don't allow it. It can be dangerous.

But what really swayed me was the interior of the TL. Everybody that's gotten into my car just sort of sits there and stares for a few minutes. They are literally speechless. I've gotten used to it, but new people are always in awe when they see it and it reminds me why I got it in the first place.

Two other quick points. As mentioned earlier, you don't know torque steer till you've driving a Maxima. And pricing comparisons have to be more realistic. Yes MSRP on a fully loaded Maxima is higher than a TL. But you can buy a Maxima for $1000 UNDER invoice any day of the week. I challenge anyone to come even close to that on a TL. I didn't want the Elite package (rear buckets) and I could have gotten the Maxima with all other options for about $2500 less than the TL.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,665 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by midas69

But what really swayed me was the interior of the TL. Everybody that's gotten into my car just sort of sits there and stares for a few minutes. They are literally speechless. I've gotten used to it, but new people are always in awe when they see it and it reminds me why I got it in the first place.
When I recall my various (and numerous) test drives of different sedans in the $30-35k price range, I have to admit that the TL has the interior i'd MOST want to be in if I'm stuck in traffic. The only other car I've ever sat in that I feel comes close to the TL is the 1G Lexus SC...and that car is/was $50k+ IIRC.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:15 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The center console was WAY too plain...

The power was noticebly better on the Maxima in the low-end and mid-range, actually, I've reaserched some dynos of each of them, and if I remember right, the maxima had 10-20hp more all the way until about 6000rpms or something way up there... but in the end, they're almost identical in "speed"

If you equip the Maxima like the TL, they end up being about the same price if I remember right. I don't like the fact that with Nissan, and pretty much everyone except honda/acura, you have to add options just to make the car worth having... Someone asked me when he saw my car, "what could I leave off if I wanted it to be cheaper but still have all the gadgets (he pointed to the nav screen)" I said... smiling... Nothing...
Old 05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Instructor

IIRC, you also cannot get the 6 speed Maxima with VDC. You must get the automatic for that. The manual does have a LSD, but then again the 6 speed TL has both VSA and the LSD.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
7th Gear

What stopped me? - NOTHING, I bought it!! Loved the TL interior, but didn't fit in the dang thing. Right knee rubbed on the console, head rubbed on the headliner, son didn't fit in the back seat, etc., etc.

Best move I ever made. By far the most trouble free car I have ever owned (knock-on wood).
Old 05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Are you kidding, have you looked at it's interior? It's terrible.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interior sucks
Old 05-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Ouch my eyes!!! To think this was done on purpose!

U-G-L-Y!!!!

Originally Posted by tjker
This is what stopped me!

Old 05-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Advanced

It's a POS Nissan.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
10th Gear

Also torn between the Maxima and the TL

When I was looking around last year, I was also torn between the two cars. I liked the power in both, but the Maxima was a little roomier, which goes a long way for me since I'm 6'7" (believe it or not my last car was a Saturn SL2...).

But I have to agree with a lot of the posts here: the Maxima interior was just plain FUGLY. What's with their obsession with the color orange, anyway? yeecchhh!

The icing on the cake was when I read a post on a Maxima board from 2 different people saying their funky "skylight" developed cracks and gradually flew off in pieces while driving. Here in AZ we get all kinds of rocks flying up and chipping glass, so I figured to hell with it.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,665 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by mporter410
It's a POS Nissan.

How do you define POS?? Interior rattles that dont go away?? Drooping headliners?? Auto tranny issues??
Old 05-19-2005, 03:52 PM
registered !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was really gonna go for a maxima... (except for how it looked), it compensated in many other ways, u forgot to mention Bose sound system. But that was when the TL hadnt been launched... i dont at all regret gettin the TL even with all the above that it doesnt have... but its such a sporty car... Maxima was a freakin cow when i test drove... it was heavy and sluggish... Also it has the infamous Nissan touch to it with cheap lookin and feelin interior too.... so considerin the bigger picture... TL any day over the maxima for me...