3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Stopped You From Getting the Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I looked at Inf. G-35 and BMW 330 before I got the TL. I never even thought about looking at a Datsun.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned a 92 SE Maxima. Loved that car!! Put 150.000 miles on it and it never let me down. Ofcourse it was maintained better than book. Started to look for a new Maxima in 2002 but Nissan commited the big sin: Cheapened out!!!!!They never went back to the Indep. Rear Suspension which they eliminated in 94 just to keep their manufact. cost down. Not only did they start styling the Maxima differently but the car just never handled/drove as well as the IRS ones. So sad that it has totally lost its identity .Right now its just an ugly toad.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:05 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The 02/03 Maxi Interior Nissan had it just right ,nice quality, interior that looks liked it belongs in car from 27-31k. The 04/05's interior just looks horrible especilally below the tape player wiith all of that empty space, that is why people snatched up th eremaining 03's when they got a taste of the 04. recently when my wife was looking to replace her 350Z we looked at Maxima, 05 G35 and TL.....my wife whom is an enthusiast driver chose G35 with sports suspension hands down with TL coming in a distant second followed by Maxima. She liked the tranny/drivetrain/throttle response of the G35,Maxima much more than the TL's and liked the TL"S interior the most,but the 05's G35's interior is much better than the 03/04's. She commented on how the interior is so chintzy looking compared to my 03's.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
The 02/03 Maxi Interior Nissan had it just right ,nice quality, interior that looks liked it belongs in car from 27-31k. The 04/05's interior just looks horrible especilally below the tape player wiith all of that empty space, that is why people snatched up th eremaining 03's when they got a taste of the 04. recently when my wife was looking to replace her 350Z we looked at Maxima, 05 G35 and TL.....my wife whom is an enthusiast driver chose G35 with sports suspension hands down with TL coming in a distant second followed by Maxima. She liked the tranny/drivetrain/throttle response of the G35,Maxima much more than the TL's and liked the TL"S interior the most,but the 05's G35's interior is much better than the 03/04's. She commented on how the interior is so chintzy looking compared to my 03's.
I would agree. I test drove a 2004 SE and really didn't care for the interior. I like the exterior (with the exception of the front tooth). One of the biggest let downs was the steering wheel. My 2002 has a perforated leather steering wheel, the 2004-2005 has a slick (almost looks like vinyl) leather steering wheel. Very cheap.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Minarets
i am down to these 3 cars. G35, maxima and TL....i like the interior of the TL best--love the sound system and the blue guages....the Gis the best handleing of the 3 and is simply the most fun to drive....and the maxima is nice....not quite up to the other 2, however, i love the back seat bucket eat option with heated rear seats with the elite pkg. Nissan's plant is 1 mile from my house here in Smyrna, TN and i can get the discount, which comes to about 8000 off sticker! which is better then my discount on GM products through my inlaws

that makes it ven a tougher situation.....would be TL or G35, style vs fun to drive.....with a disount....makes it even tougher
If you can get the Max for 8K off, then do it. I love my TL but I think that would put the Maxima's value per dollar above the TL.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

STOP THE MADNESS!

You cannot compare a luxury car to a budget car. Tell me that a Timex is just as accurate and functional as a Rolex and I'll agree with you. Tell me that it's a valid decision to choose one over the other and it's laughable.

Someone please start a thread called "Why Did You Choose a Cessna Piper Over a Boeing 777?" Would be just as relevant.

BJ
Old 05-01-2005, 08:23 PM
6MT & LSD

ok, just to clarify, Acura is not a true luxury brand. it's a mere entry lux. the maxima has most of the features that are in our TL's. maxima can easily be compared to the TL as they're in the same class (vehicle size, engine size, power, features, price, fwd, etc.)

but yes, the TL is better.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:33 PM
TL-S driver

besides the fact that it's ugly, all those items are are silly...ok, some are cool but when you have to pay for all those...it come out to more then a TL...why pay more for a Maxima when you can have an Acura!
Old 05-02-2005, 01:05 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boltjames
STOP THE MADNESS!

You cannot compare a luxury car to a budget car. Tell me that a Timex is just as accurate and functional as a Rolex and I'll agree with you. Tell me that it's a valid decision to choose one over the other and it's laughable.

Someone please start a thread called "Why Did You Choose a Cessna Piper Over a Boeing 777?" Would be just as relevant.

BJ
If the Timex and Rolex and/or Cessna and Triple-7 were equal price, you could compare them........ (Yet your aircraft choice/analogy isn't remotely relevant)

As ndx2 eluded to, both the TL and Max are 4door sport sedans of equal cost and use. If someone is going out to spend $35K on a vehicle, they will most likely look at everything that fits their needs and falls within the price range. "Luxury branding" doesn't really apply given the two vehicles and this argument.

I will agree with your "Stop the Madness" comment though...

Cheers
Old 05-02-2005, 02:19 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by KJSmitty
If the Timex and Rolex and/or Cessna and Triple-7 were equal price, you could compare them........ (Yet your aircraft choice/analogy isn't remotely relevant)

As ndx2 eluded to, both the TL and Max are 4door sport sedans of equal cost and use. If someone is going out to spend $35K on a vehicle, they will most likely look at everything that fits their needs and falls within the price range. "Luxury branding" doesn't really apply given the two vehicles and this argument.

I will agree with your "Stop the Madness" comment though...

Cheers
The problem is that a lot of inexpensive cars can be optioned up to compare with a different class vechicle on price. But isn't it a little silly to buy a $25K base car for $33K? I know it hurts at trade-in time and in image as well.

The Altima which can be had w/ 2.5L for about $16K. You can also get the new hotrod version for almost $30K. You could do the same thing with an Accord or a Maxima. This makes no sense to me cause the cheap one looks a lot like the loaded one.

Both of the above manufacturers also compete in the near-lux segment. Least expensive G35 or TL start around $30K as we all know. I would have a very difficult time spending $40K+ for either of these cars because that will buy you a step up. Gotta admit that Nissan offers a lot of cheap bling-bling for attractive price if you are smart and that's what you are looking for. BMW does the same thing which insults me. They start with a near luxury price for a cheap under equiped, under powered sub compact. To get the good stuff that you want cost another $10K.

All of this is why I have a TL and am very happy.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:29 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
The problem is that a lot of inexpensive cars can be optioned up to compare with a different class vechicle on price. But isn't it a little silly to buy a $25K base car for $33K? I know it hurts at trade-in time and in image as well.

The Altima which can be had w/ 2.5L for about $16K. You can also get the new hotrod version for almost $30K. You could do the same thing with an Accord or a Maxima. This makes no sense to me cause the cheap one looks a lot like the loaded one.

Both of the above manufacturers also compete in the near-lux segment. Least expensive G35 or TL start around $30K as we all know. I would have a very difficult time spending $40K+ for either of these cars because that will buy you a step up. Gotta admit that Nissan offers a lot of cheap bling-bling for attractive price if you are smart and that's what you are looking for. BMW does the same thing which insults me. They start with a near luxury price for a cheap under equiped, under powered sub compact. To get the good stuff that you want cost another $10K.

All of this is why I have a TL and am very happy.
I guess I really don't look at the "base price" as a distinguishing factor between the TL/Max (due to the TL being "loaded", w/nav or without), but will admit I agree with your thoughts. It's like you mentioned, it kinda depends on what one feels is the more bang for the buck, IE options or near luxury branding.
Having owned both, my main issue is the degree folks slam the Max. Sure the styling isn't for everyone, but if you really drove both for a length of time I think you could honestly say: yes there are differences - pluses and minuses for both, but not literally one sucks and one doesn't.
Bottom line, we are on an Acura forum because we drive a TL and love it - me included... I'm sure we're all just a little biased.... OK, obsessed

Let just all agree to disagree on the TL vs Max.
,,,, ??
Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Pro

A Maxima says "I can't afford a luxury car, but I can afford a low-end vehicle that looks like one".

BJ
The Maxima fully loaded is more expensive that the TL.....
Old 05-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The Maxima is UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGLY.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,665 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
The Maxima is UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGLY.
Beauty is relative but in this case ^^^^. I've test driven several cars in the $30-35k range (G35X, G35C, TL, Alti SE-R) but I'm just so repulsed by the exterior styling of the 6G Maxima that I havent even wanted to sit in one.

For similar money, I'd still get the G35 sedan by a narrow margin over the TL. And I'd consider the Altima 3.5 before I'd consider the Maxima. Nissan dropped the ball on this one....BADLY!!!!

The TL's competition from Nissan was the Infiniti I35 (aka the 5.5G Maxima GLE in Nissan Cefiro attire). But seeing as Nissan ceased production of it's Lexus ES/Acura TL competitor, the Maxima somewhat fills that niche.

That said, the choice between the TL and new Maxima is an easy one to make. TL!!
Old 05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by apwalsh
The Maxima fully loaded is more expensive that the TL.....
Fact: The most expensive Timex costs more than the least expensive Rolex.

Fact: You'll get no props at the country club for wearing a Timex- especially when they find out you could have paid less and gotten a Rolex.

The reality is that this thread should have been started in the Honda Accord forum; that's the alternative to the "I can over-bling my budget car and make it cost more than a luxury car" Maxima.

BJ
Old 05-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Never considered the Maxima. Had I considered a Nissan-built vehicle I would have looked into an Infiniti, but I didn't consider those either--pretty much just the TL and the Lexus IS300, and after driving the TL I didn't need to drive the Lexus.

I'm also not a fan of the Maxima's styling, and my insurance agent told me that the premiums have been somewhat higher on the Maxima for several years now because the insurance statistics have shown it as a "high-risk" vehicle since the mid-1990s, back in the day of the Maxima with the "4DSC" sticker, the one styled somewhat like the original Acura Legend. This comment will offend someone, but it's what I was told....since the aforementioned body style, the Maxima has been popular with young single black men and the insurance industry considers that particular demographic to be a higher risk, hence the higher premium associated with the Maxima.

Whichever way, setting aside styling and insurance, it seems to me that none of the TL's competitors can match it on the value front, and I've had really good luck with past Hondas and Acuras, so it was an easy decision to maintain the brand loyalty.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Instructor

I test drove the Maxima. While I didn't care for the styling, it wasn't the deal killer. It's very hard to explain but sitting in the drivers seat of the Maxima felt "hollow".

"Hollow" is a difficult term to explain, but maybe it was the way the interior was set up. While it wasn't overly huge inside, it seemed like the buttons & knobs were just a bit further away from you than they should be.

Also, the Maxima is a dying breed. The Altima has grown in size to the point that the difference between the two is minimal. Add to that you can now get the Altima with the 3.5 engine which almost makes the Maxima completely irrelevant. (Especially since the Altima has the more stylish and sleeker design, and costs less.)
Old 05-02-2005, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
This comment will offend someone, but it's what I was told....since the aforementioned body style, the Maxima has been popular with young single black men and the insurance industry considers that particular demographic to be a higher risk, hence the higher premium associated with the Maxima.
Insurance premiums by their actuarial nature are bound to offend some groups. singles, males, the elderly, teens, very young adults, non-homeowners, certain races and those living within certain communities are typically "targeted" for higher rates.

While there has been some 'seismic activity', I'm surprised that this 'volcano' hasnt quite erupted yet.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:32 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by tjker
This is what stopped me!

HAHA!!! Same here. I had seen a few tooling around town (black with tinted windows) and was impressed. One stop on the website and it was a done deal. That has to be one of the worst interiors I have EVER seen! The crappy orange, the round 'console' guages, just abysmal!!

I do admit to wanting some of those features (especially in the TL), the tilt telescoping wheel is number one on the list. The 4 window up/down is the next (I mean come on Acura is it really that much more to put relays in the back 2 windows), the rear buckets would be nice as well!!

Old 05-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Cruisin'

STOP THE MADNESS!

BJ
Didn't realize the Cessna has the same engine and capacity of a Boeing 777. No wonder the airlines are in trouble.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Pro

Fact: The most expensive Timex costs more than the least expensive Rolex.

Fact: You'll get no props at the country club for wearing a Timex- especially when they find out you could have paid less and gotten a Rolex.

The reality is that this thread should have been started in the Honda Accord forum; that's the alternative to the "I can over-bling my budget car and make it cost more than a luxury car" Maxima.

BJ
Fact: You said the Maxima is an "I cannot afford a real luxury car" type of car. If it is more expensive than a REAL luxury car (which the TL is not anyway) then your previous point makes no sense.

Anyway, you won't get props at the country club for wearing a Rolex unless you go to the budget country club. Anyone who knows watches laugh when people talk about a Rolex being such a great watch.

In addition, you are now basically saying that higher price does not equal higher quality, which contradicts what your earlier posts implied.

I'd like to see this expensive Timex also.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:51 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
This comment will offend someone, but it's what I was told....since the aforementioned body style, the Maxima has been popular with young single black men and the insurance industry considers that particular demographic to be a higher risk, hence the higher premium associated with the Maxima.
Gee, I always thought it was car, driving record, age and address. Don't tell anyone but some of them also buy TL's. Yes the comment offended someone.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
Gee, I always thought it was car, driving record, age and address.
It's always been more than that. The point that user F23A4 makes up above is an accurate summary.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MR1
Gee, I always thought it was car, driving record, age and address. Don't tell anyone but some of them also buy TL's. Yes the comment offended someone.
Well I guess there is no difference between assigning risk by age or gender and assigning risk by race.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:21 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
i was looking on Nissans website and don't get me wrong...i love my TL...i think its one of the hottest looking 4 doors out there, but what stopped people from getting the Nissan Maxima, the features that the car has are gorgeous and it has possibly all of the small things u wish the TL had.....

a few things are

- Power Wheel tilt and scope with memory
- Power Folding Mirrors
- Rear Bucket Seats
- Power Sunshades
- Bigger Sunroof
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Power Up and Power Down for all 4 windows
- Heated Rear Seats with center console
- When you walk up to the car and press unlock the seat automatically moves back so u can get in easily.
- Autodimming right and left side mirrors
- You actually get a choice between XM and SIRRIUS
- day time running lights
- Birdseye view Navigation

i mean don't get me wrong....i love the TL....don't regret anything, accept sometimes i wish we had these small luxuries. the TL looks much nicer and sportier than the Maxima but they both put out the same power, the TL's Interior is gorgeous compared to the Maximas which looks like a piece of shit but atleast acura could offer them as some kinda of optional features.

but then it goes back to my REAL question, what is it that made you choose the TL over another car such as the Maxima or the G35(even thought many people on this board consider the G35 to be in a completely different car class), Volvo S60 if you were debating between these.
What stopped me from getting a Maxima? My age!!! I am 28 not 58! It looks like a ride for a mature, almost retired gentelman. Not a spirited 28 yr. old daddy!!!

As for G35, I do not find it comfortable and the trunk is not as deep (I need a deep one for my tools)

Love my TL!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Acuraized User

The Acura TL
Old 05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mark 3M bra man
What stopped me from getting a Maxima? My age!!! I am 28 not 58! It looks like a ride for a mature, almost retired gentelman. Not a spirited 28 yr. old daddy!!!

As for G35, I do not find it comfortable and the trunk is not as deep (I need a deep one for my tools)

Love my TL!!!

That was pretty much Nissan's motive in redesigning the 6G Maxima-----Toyota Avalon competition.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My answer is the Maxima is Ugly. I would buy a Altima before a Maxima. Having said that, my car choices were the G35 and the IS300. Then Acura made the TL just in time to prevent me from buying the IS (used, and heavly modified). I love my TL.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:58 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

It's not a luxury car. Acura is a luxury brand. There is zero point in comparing a luxury car to a standard car. Can you compare the New York Yankees to the Columbus Clippers? Can you compare a Rolex to a Timex? The answer of course is "yes", but it's pointless.

A Maxima says "I can't afford a luxury car, but I can afford a low-end vehicle that looks like one".

BJ

since when is Acura a luxury brand? I could list many reasons why I think it is not a luxury brand...
Old 05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
since when is Acura a luxury brand? I could list many reasons why I think it is not a luxury brand...

Old 05-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Shift_faster

Oh crap. You done did it now.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
dunno why but the dash looks like the caddy's dash in the .....srx, cts, sts
Old 05-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, pray tell, great discerner of luxury cars.... other than price, what does a luxury car have that the TL does not?

If you judge a car to be luxury based on its price, you're one of those folks the dealers love to see come through the door.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura is an entry level luxury brand..but its considered more of a luxury brand beause honda is the lower end of the stick and acura is the higher end of the stick. just as Volkswagen isn't on the same level as a hyundai or a saturn its an entry level luxury car.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:00 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Well, pray tell, great discerner of luxury cars.... other than price, what does a luxury car have that the TL does not?

If you judge a car to be luxury based on its price, you're one of those folks the dealers love to see come through the door.

First of all, I was not only implying the TL, but the whole Acura line-up.

Second, I do NOT judge a car to be luxury based on its price.

The service at Acura is often not too great, the quality of their products is so-so, they often handle problems nowhere like a luxury brand, their warranty is far from being the best on the market, and IMO, a luxury car maker does NOT make cars like the RSX, EL (canada) and TSX, which does not fit into what luxury should be, IMO.

Acura (Honda) is trying to cut into prices and it definitly shows.

What do I consider luxury?

Lincoln, Infiniti, Bentley, Rolls Royce, BMW, Mercedes-Benz (halfway), Maserati, and such. Those, by the way they handle problems and deal with their customers, are, IMO, real luxury brands.

But hey, that's just me, if you think Honda is a luxury brand, then fine, whatever floats your boat!

Oh btw, here's the answer to your question:

The TL does not have the features to be a luxury car, first of all. Second, the build quality is not up to par with luxury cars (rattles, loose panels, etc).

I consider Acura an upscale car brand, that's it.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by Xpditor

luxury brands have better dealership, both sales & service.
luxury cars have features that some may seem redundant. i.e. phaeton's vent cover, cooled seats, cooled glovebox, keyless go, massaging seats, long list of customizable options (like maserati quattraporte - they claim they have over a million combination of options, so that two identical cars would be highly unlikely to exist), rear view cameras, suede headliners, power adjustable steering wheel & pedals, adaptive headlights/cruise control, headlight washers, high-grade stock tires/wheels, air suspension, high-tech safety features (presafe on mb), better engineering, and highest grade materials (visible & non-visible), etc.... all without sacrificing comfort, safety, style, prestige, and performance.

that, my friend, is a luxury car. i'm completely content with my TL, but let's face it. a lot of the features available on the TL is also available on many other cars under 30k, 25k, or even 20k. you are just in an era where technology has become readily available at a very low cost. heated seats & xenons no longer mean luxury. Acura has elegantly, innovatively, and effectively utilized the available technology, and it's why i love my TL. but please don't think for a minute that Acuras are luxury cars that are superior to other brands. that's the job of 325i & 525i drivers.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

It's not a matter of what you think is a luxury brand. It's what the public at large thinks is a luxury brand.

In case you missed it, here's a list of luxury car brands:

Premium Luxury Brands:

Mercedes Benz
BMW

Moderate Luxury Brands:

Acura
Lexus
Audi
Jaguar
Infinity

Entry-Level Luxury Brands:

Cadillac
Chrysler
Lincoln

That's it. That's the list. Ask 100 38 year old car buyers their perception of luxury car brands and 99% of them are going to compile it that way.

Nissan is not on the list. It's not a luxury brand. Simple stuff.

BJ
Old 05-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by apwalsh
Anyway, you won't get props at the country club for wearing a Rolex unless you go to the budget country club. Anyone who knows watches laugh when people talk about a Rolex being such a great watch.

Again, you're getting yourself all confused.

It may very well be that Rolex makes an average Swiss watch based on a movement that can be obtained in a Timex product for 1/10th the price. That doesn't make a difference in the perception of a Rolex vs. a Timex. Rolex is a luxury brand. Timex is a mass market brand. Presidents and billionaires wear Rolexes; grocery packers at supermarkets wear Timexes.

People buy Rolex and Acura and Ralph Lauren and Evian and Armani because they have money and can spend it on the little things that elevate these brands above the others.

People buy Timex and Nissan and Levi and Tap Water and Pierre Cardin because they are tight with money and would rather skip the little niceities to get the bare bones basics instead.

You fly coach, I fly business. You spend less, I spend more. In the end, we both get to London, but I get there with a belly full of better food, a butt un-stressed by a better seat, and a mind relaxed by better movies.

There's nothing wrong with that. It's just that it's two different people and two different market segments. A Maxima can never be a TL because a Nissan can never be an Acura. Acura can make a $5,000 50 HP car with no windows and it still will be a luxury car. The badge makes it so.

BJ
Old 05-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ndx2
luxury brands have better dealership, both sales & service.
luxury cars have features that some may seem redundant. i.e. phaeton's vent cover, cooled seats, cooled glovebox, keyless go, massaging seats, long list of customizable options (like maserati quattraporte - they claim they have over a million combination of options, so that two identical cars would be highly unlikely to exist), rear view cameras, suede headliners, power adjustable steering wheel & pedals, adaptive headlights/cruise control, headlight washers, high-grade stock tires/wheels, air suspension, high-tech safety features (presafe on mb), better engineering, and highest grade materials (visible & non-visible), etc.... all without sacrificing comfort, safety, style, prestige, and performance.

that, my friend, is a luxury car. i'm completely content with my TL, but let's face it. a lot of the features available on the TL is also available on many other cars under 30k, 25k, or even 20k. you are just in an era where technology has become readily available at a very low cost. heated seats & xenons no longer mean luxury. Acura has elegantly, innovatively, and effectively utilized the available technology, and it's why i love my TL. but please don't think for a minute that Acuras are luxury cars that are superior to other brands. that's the job of 325i & 525i drivers.
if that is the definition of luxury then basically all cars under 80K are not considered luxury cars. basically a 545 would not be considered a luxury car even though it gets close to 60K fully loaded, neither would a bmw 7 series, mercedes E Class, lexus ls430, audi A6, A8 or infiniti M45 match your criteria. if your definition of luxury is so over the top then there are only a small selection of vehicles that are considered luxury which seems like a silly notion to me. i agree with boltjames, just ask any regular heterosexual male what car brands they consider luxury brands and you will most likely get the same answers.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 PM
6MT & LSD

lol since when is chrysler a lux brand? by your logic, vw is a lux brand.

you are way off, imo.

real lux brands are more like - bentley, rolls royce, maserati, maybach... excluding sports-car brands.

step down a tad, and you have audi, mb, bmw, lexus, jag

below another step are infiniti, acura, toyota, vw,

ranking last are lincoln, caddy, volvo, saab,

i don't know why you (bj) insist that acura is a lux brand.

Quick Reply: What Stopped You From Getting the Maxima?