3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the one thing you like best about your TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nednj36
US assemby workers at the TL plant (ASE and Acura "B" tech flunkies mind you) fumbled the handoff from the Japanese engineers and worried too much about their union pension benefits and differential pay. The only thing they are good at is injecting "dum-dum", "bondo", and foam in all the nooks and crannies. Remove your door panels, heat vents and headliner and have a look for yourself. The '76 Plymouth Volare and "74 Chevy Vega were built with better integrity.

You have an early to mid build '04? My sympathies are with you.
If the only thing built in Japan (since '99 for TL's) was the transaxle, then why is it the most common defect in the car? I.e 1999-2003 tranny recall, 2004 3rd gear fluid injector
Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Racer

Incorrect. The car is designed with Japanese blueprints and the powertrain is composed of 80% Japanese parts. The US assembly is overseen by Japanese Engineers living in the US. Do your research! As for as your rattles go, clean the wax out of your ears, close the windows, turn off the stereo, and get honest. Happy rattlin'.
Research completed. Now serving humble pie.

http://cars.about.com/od/sportssedan...uraTL_test.htm

..designed in Honda’s Los Angeles studio...

The Making of the TL from Acura Style an owner magazine (see post # 21)

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/just-how-fast-rsx-s-hondata-ecu-reflash-%5Bvideo%5D-126187/
Old 12-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A_UFO
Research completed. Now serving humble pie.

http://cars.about.com/od/sportssedan...uraTL_test.htm

The Making of the TL from Acura Style an owner magazine (see post # 21)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126187
where's the beef? LA design studio doesn't mean the designers aren't reading Japanese prints. Theres definitely a Japanese Dynamics Engineer at the helm.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Racer

where's the beef? LA design studio doesn't mean the designers aren't reading Japanese prints. Theres definitely a Japanese Dynamics Engineer at the helm.
Exactly. Where is your beef? You say neuronbob and I are wrong. Fine with me. This would not be the first time I learned something new. Provide your research so all TL owners can learn more about their cars.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A_UFO
Exactly. Where is your beef? You say neuronbob and I are wrong. Fine with me. This would not be the first time I learned something new. Provide your research so all TL owners can learn more about their cars.
burden of proof is still in your court my man. You and neuron are so steadfast that the car is 100% american, prove it to me irrefutabley. When you can't, I will produce my ace in the hole.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Racer

burden of proof is still in your court my man. You and neuron are so steadfast that the car is 100% american, prove it to me irrefutabley. When you can't, I will produce my ace in the hole.
I was not saying the TL is 100% American parts or made. Your original post was that the car was designed in Japan and made in America with poor QC. Therefore, I provided proof the car was designed in Los Angeles. The burden of proof is on you to provide proof the car was designed in Japan instead of Los Angeles.

A car design is not just one person but a team of people of various ethnic backgrounds.

Here is my point; I do not care if the car was design in Japan, USA or on the moon by a person with antlers on their head. Who cares? The look of the car is what attracted me to test drive the car. After I test-drove the car, I liked the TL even more. It was like icing on the good-looking cake.

Now, back on topic. Only one thing I like best about my TL? For me, the ride characteristics.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Racer

US assemby workers at the TL plant (ASE and Acura "B" tech flunkies mind you) fumbled the handoff from the Japanese engineers and worried too much about their union pension benefits and differential pay. The only thing they are good at is injecting "dum-dum", "bondo", and foam in all the nooks and crannies. Remove your door panels, heat vents and headliner and have a look for yourself. The '76 Plymouth Volare and "74 Chevy Vega were built with better integrity.

Ned,

Sounds like your car and Acura have gotten the best of you. I sympathize with you. Did you get your car at Acura of Ocean? (for some reason I have it in my head that you're from that area, prior posts?)

Rattles aren't acceptable in a car of this price. It really sucks when you take the car in to be fixed and they won't do a damn thing about it. At this point, with your obvious frustration level, you must dislike going to see your dealer just as much as they dislike seeing you walking in the door. Maybe it's time to cut your losses and look for a better quality car. I doubt if you'll find significant rattle problems with a Lexus.

That being said, I have an '05 TL with 23,000 miles on it with only one minor squeak from the drivers door weatherstripping only on cold days. I need to get some pure silicone spray and shoot through the tiny weep holes to see if it goes away.

My understanding is that the TL was designed at the Acura LA California design studio. They likely did use the corporate (read: Japanese) Honda/Acura design software to generate the blueprints. And I would expect that Acura engineers from Japan would be on and even lead the design team. Honda is a worldwide company now and is even listed on the Tokyo and New York stock exchanges.

Are you aware that the Honda/Acura plants in Ohio are not unionized? I believe in 2004 the Alliston, Ontario did unionize, but nothing in Ohio as of yet.

My feeling is that the TL rattles and squeaks that many experience are not assembly issues. After all, if the tweeter is rattling in it's mount, an assembly worker can't do too much to screw up the assembly. It's only pushing the tweeter in place until the tabs click. Most of the squeaks and rattles seem to be design issues. Instead of doing a mid-cycle design change, Acura seems to be trying to fix the problems by adding foam, padding, etc. until the next design change when they'll hopefully do it right.

As far as the percentage of the car being American, it was back in February that we chatted on this forum about it. The conclusion was that the window sticker said something around 60% American parts.

I had a '74 Vega! That car still gives me nightmares. I think it had all of 70 horsepower (58 by the new SAE procedure). Having experience with both cars, I'd have to give the edge in build quality to the TL. But then again, I'm only a sample of one.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChuckDu
Ned,

Sounds like your car and Acura have gotten the best of you. I sympathize with you. Did you get your car at Acura of Ocean? (for some reason I have it in my head that you're from that area, prior posts?)

Rattles aren't acceptable in a car of this price. It really sucks when you take the car in to be fixed and they won't do a damn thing about it. At this point, with your obvious frustration level, you must dislike going to see your dealer just as much as they dislike seeing you walking in the door. Maybe it's time to cut your losses and look for a better quality car. I doubt if you'll find significant rattle problems with a Lexus.

That being said, I have an '05 TL with 23,000 miles on it with only one minor squeak from the drivers door weatherstripping only on cold days. I need to get some pure silicone spray and shoot through the tiny weep holes to see if it goes away.

My understanding is that the TL was designed at the Acura LA California design studio. They likely did use the corporate (read: Japanese) Honda/Acura design software to generate the blueprints. And I would expect that Acura engineers from Japan would be on and even lead the design team. Honda is a worldwide company now and is even listed on the Tokyo and New York stock exchanges.

Are you aware that the Honda/Acura plants in Ohio are not unionized? I believe in 2004 the Alliston, Ontario did unionize, but nothing in Ohio as of yet.

My feeling is that the TL rattles and squeaks that many experience are not assembly issues. After all, if the tweeter is rattling in it's mount, an assembly worker can't do too much to screw up the assembly. It's only pushing the tweeter in place until the tabs click. Most of the squeaks and rattles seem to be design issues. Instead of doing a mid-cycle design change, Acura seems to be trying to fix the problems by adding foam, padding, etc. until the next design change when they'll hopefully do it right.

As far as the percentage of the car being American, it was back in February that we chatted on this forum about it. The conclusion was that the window sticker said something around 60% American parts.

I had a '74 Vega! That car still gives me nightmares. I think it had all of 70 horsepower (58 by the new SAE procedure). Having experience with both cars, I'd have to give the edge in build quality to the TL. But then again, I'm only a sample of one.
Nice reply. It's comforting to see that some people around here are compassionate and objective. I did, by the way, by my car at Acura of Ocean. I do not have aproblem with their service dept. and I don't think they have a problem with me. They know I'm fastidious when it comes to noises and refinement, but they are some concerned and are never sarcastic or snobby. It's just that these rattles (most of which I've fixed myself) are so hidden & intermittent, that it's maddening to try to duplicate them during my visits with the dealer. What drives me crazy is that the car looks & drives great, but the one rattle I can't seem to find or fix is the one right above my left ear at the top of the window frame. I lube it with silicone and armour all, it's good for a day or two, then resurfaces. I guess whn you get psyched for a new purchase after months of research, you tend to have high expectations. In my case, I was looking for a car much more refined than my 2003 TL. Unfortunately, my expectations were too high and I set myself up for a letdown. (real problem is that I had 3-4 rattles right from the start and it set the tone for things to come. I guess I should just relax and look at the positives. The car is good looking, handles nice, has a good sound system, is decent on gas and has all the power I need. I think eventually the rattle(s) will not bother me as much and I can just sit back and enjoy the ride. Thanks again for your thoughtful & informative reply!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Did the rattle whiners come back for a reunion??
Old 12-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Did the rattle whiners come back for a reunion??
No more whining from me I promise. It is all off my chest and I have benefited from this forum's group therapy. I will start meditating with my radio off and windows closed. My montra will be: "I do, I do, I do believe in a rattle free car, I do, I do, I do believe in a rattle free car." Then I will skip along to Emerald City with Dorothy, Tin Man, Lion & Scarecrow to see the Wizard and ask him for a rattle free car. Or, I can just "86" the Tin Man and the rattles will be gone. LOL.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:34 AM
S2000: S stands for Sheep

just love driving it! makes me happy
Old 12-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AutoGirl
just love driving it! makes me happy
you go girl!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
No more whining from me I promise. It is all off my chest and I have benefited from this forum's group therapy. I will start meditating with my radio off and windows closed. My montra will be: "I do, I do, I do believe in a rattle free car, I do, I do, I do believe in a rattle free car." Then I will skip along to Emerald City with Dorothy, Tin Man, Lion & Scarecrow to see the Wizard and ask him for a rattle free car. Or, I can just "86" the Tin Man and the rattles will be gone. LOL.
I.... honestly don't know what a proper response to this would be...
Old 12-04-2005, 11:37 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread got hi jacked....what happened to " the 1 thing we like about the TL...?"....I was watching it and sure enough in no time we went off the subject....wow
Old 12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HEK
This thread got hi jacked....what happened to " the 1 thing we like about the TL...?"....I was watching it and sure enough in no time we went off the subject....wow
OK. Since I took us off the track, I'll put us back on it.

I like the design of the wheels and the ebony/chrome interior accents
Old 12-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Advanced

I love the interior.....just awesome!
Old 12-04-2005, 01:16 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the style of the car, looks like Europe cars... and also the navi, the power, the performance, the comfort, etc...
Old 12-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like all the features the car has.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
2nd warning: Keep it positive

Incorrect. The car is designed with Japanese blueprints and the powertrain is composed of 80% Japanese parts. The US assembly is overseen by Japanese Engineers living in the US. Do your research! As for as your rattles go, clean the wax out of your ears, close the windows, turn off the stereo, and get honest. Happy rattlin'.
My window sticker says 65% American parts, 15% Japanese parts. We know that much of the 15% Japanese parts is the transmission. Other posts written before this one already confirm the American design.

I've done my research, if you search the site you will find similar info. If your only intent in this thead is to be insulting to others who actually like the car, your posts will be deleted.

Back to the topic at hand.....[/hijack]
Old 12-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
My window sticker says 65% American parts, 15% Japanese parts. We know that much of the 15% Japanese parts is the transmission. Other posts written before this one already confirm the American design.

I've done my research, if you search the site you will find similar info. If your only intent in this thead is to be insulting to others who actually like the car, your posts will be deleted.

Back to the topic at hand.....[/hijack]
mmmmyes sir
Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Instructor

mmmmyes sir
I don't recall seeing my 1st warning Bob. Where'd ya post it?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
Get your facts straight, no Honda of America assembly workers are unionized. From what I've read about Honda's design facilities, most of the drivetrain and some suspension design is done in Japan but the bulk of the interior/exterior design work on the TL, Oddysee, and Ridgeline was done in the states. The CRV, Civic, and Accord design work gets distributed but the majority is done in Japan. Not sure about the S2000, RL, Pilot, and MDX.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:33 PM
White 2000 TL

I like the way the Car looks i have a 00 with 80k and i have no rattle i Guess i got lucky
Old 12-04-2005, 07:37 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Sniper 55
I like the way the Car looks i have a 00 with 80k and i have no rattle i Guess i got lucky

i think the rattles are 3rd gen feature only. my mom has a 00 and its rattle free as well
Old 12-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Instructor

i love when my hid's fire up with that blueish tint first and gradually into the normal white. thats hot. and all the haters will keep hating
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
There's so many things to love...the looks (both in and out), ASPEC coilovers + CT RSB, Devotions, quickness, smoothness...so I guess what I love the most is the car itself, and everything that encompasses, because each aspect of it adds a little something to the total, making it a sheer pleasure to drive.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

I love the sound system.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
looks
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 AM
10th Gear

Smile The steering wheel!!

Since I started this thread I wanted to see what others had to say first but for me it was obvious the first time I got into my TL. It's the steering wheel. I mean it feels great and I love the two finger bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock but the feel of the steering is awsome. As soon as you start to drive the whole response of the car, the speed, the agility, the fun is all transmitted right into the palms of my hands.

That is my one favorite thing.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Like many people who have said it before, in one form or another, I simply love my car. There are too many things that I love about it for me to name just one.

It's a fine ride and I'm a proud owner.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:30 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i love the way people are blown away by what it does (nav, voice commands, HFL). I also love the way people pull next to me and give me a thumbs up.... esp people in other acuras
Old 12-05-2005, 02:50 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink What I like about my TL...

Hmmmm....

I basically like everything about it; haven't found a flaw or something that I don't care for yet. It is already comfortable to me being that my 04 Accord cp V6 6MT had some of the alike features (e.g. navi, voice recognition, heated seats, leather, 240hp MT, premium audio systems, etc.). However, the goodies that weren't in my Accord I embrace everyday I get in it, like the HID's, Sport Shifter, larger navi screen, more commands, 30 more hp, four doors, the styling, more watts on the audio system, the engine cover, one-touch sunroof, yada, yada, yada....the list goes on.

I love my TL!
Old 12-05-2005, 02:51 PM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation drdamian.............

Originally Posted by drdamian
i love the way people are blown away by what it does (nav, voice commands, HFL). I also love the way people pull next to me and give me a thumbs up.... esp people in other acuras
Hey drdamian -
I'm from Harrisburg - go to Philly often (not to get off subject...).
Old 12-05-2005, 03:24 PM
So Plain.

the fact that rattles are standard equipment
ive got over 100k miles on my car and ive never heard a single rattle.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:33 PM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 146 Posts
One thing about my TL

DVD AUDIO ROCKS!
Only drive on weekends
The music makes it pleasurable
Love my TL, but the DVD AUDIO is the bomb!
Old 12-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My favorite is that its mine!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Advanced

The back of the car....it has a great a** end.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I like most?

It's a great overall car. You can spend a LOT more money and not get better performance, comfort, amenities, and reliability.

And no, mine doesn't rattle.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Instructor

i'm a proud owner with no complaints and the dealer takes good care of me. best service is the other thing i like most. they got me a rl loaner as a car with mine in for a tire rotation oil change and accessory add on. can't beat that
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
Egghead

I like that she's a girl (you have to turn on the female voice, of course). I bought mine a month ago and feel like I'm having an affair. Not even hiding it from my wife.

Quick Reply: What is the one thing you like best about your TL?