Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the hell am I doing????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the hell am I doing????

Desperately need to replace my 15 year-old 120K mile Saturn... hope I like the TL as much. But I'm in that hand-wringing phase.

I'm looking into a 06 5AT-NAV, Anthracite and Quartz. I want either the spash guards *or* the underbody spoilers all around (I like the looks at least in pictures). Obviously the 07 is impacting prices, because I'm getting online quotes all around 31K.... one as low as 30.5K. Which brings me to the hand-wringing:

What's the general thoughts on the underbody spoilers, the splash-guards... or neither?

Am I going to hate myself for not waiting a month to see what the 07 brings (and possibly even lower price on the 06 if it's a good option for me)? Also not sure my beloved Saturn will make it to the next stop-light much less a month or two.

Appreciate any and all comments.

D.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
The underbody spoilers and splash guards can be purchased AFTER the deal from other sources ALOT cheaper... this website even has a section for selling stuff. Hell, I even have a set of splashguards i could sell....

For the 07, it is only a mid-model change... nothing drastic at all... I would say, go for what you got.. but wait on the accesories... We can help with those!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
to give you an idea, the aspec body spoilers can all be purchased for around 750 in some group buys. Well, you cant have body spoilers and splash guards on at the same time anyway.

Get a new car when you need it, and for the price you want it at. I would try trading in the saturn when it still runs and you *might* be able to get some trade in value out of it. My old roommate had a saturn. damn thing was a lemon. Was replacing every damn thingamajig in the car on a monthly basis.

If you can pay a grand or so out of pocket, holdoff on the body kits. If you want to roll everything into your car financing, then include the kits in your price. i.e. haggle until they wont go any further, then tell them you wont buy it unless that price includes the body kit.

Old 08-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
It's my wife that usually asks me what the hell I'm doing...
But in answer to your question, the dealer will probably throw in the splashguards for free ($50 item + minimal labor if not DIY???). My dealer had the splashguards on the TLs already, and the splashguards look good.
jmbnova is right- dump the Saturn and get the 2006 TL now since there are no big changes for 2007. You can get the body kit later, too, if you think it's worth the price. Getting the body kit later may also save you some $$ compared with what the dealer will charge for installation.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
06 Antracite/Ebony 6MT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, but there's alot of rumors that there may be a bump in horsepower. If so, I'm sure you won't get the same quotes or even near. What happens if you wait? There are tons, TONS, of TLs on the lot in the little town of Greenville SC. If you live in a major area, I can only imagine there are tons more there. The 06s will not go back up in price just lose some availability. Think this one out.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:35 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Be patient my friend.....

As mentioned, prices on the remaining 06's will continue to be good. 06 Availability may be less but I would want to see exactly what 07 offers at this point in the game (even if only minor subtle differences). But on the other hand, if thinking about an 07 you will obviously have to factor in spending an extra $2-3K to have the latest and greatest etc..

Good luck with your decision!!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Welcome to the site!

So far, the big 07 rumor (almost confirmed at the TOV) is the bump in HP. However, if you need the car now and you want to trade in your Saturn, save some $$$ and buy this month.

Same rule applies as with computers--something newer, flashier, faster, and better will always come along, so if you need something now, just buy it with no regrets.

We hope to hear of your successful purchase!
Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leedogg
to give you an idea, the aspec body spoilers can all be purchased for around 750 in some group buys. Well, you cant have body spoilers and splash guards on at the same time anyway.

Get a new car when you need it, and for the price you want it at. I would try trading in the saturn when it still runs and you *might* be able to get some trade in value out of it. My old roommate had a saturn. damn thing was a lemon. Was replacing every damn thingamajig in the car on a monthly basis.

If you can pay a grand or so out of pocket, holdoff on the body kits. If you want to roll everything into your car financing, then include the kits in your price. i.e. haggle until they wont go any further, then tell them you wont buy it unless that price includes the body kit.

True... but.... if I have the dealer put em on I get them covered by the warranty and financed witht he car......

D.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Get the lip kit as opposed to the mud guards...they look better. I can't remember what I got my llp kit for exactly as I got it with a wing spoiler for $1,100 installed at purchase; however, I'm sure you know the retail of all of those items, so you can kind of back into a ballpark figure (I'd guess $800-900). A few bucks more than the $750 deal, and like you said, warrantied and financed with the car.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:01 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
First off relax, if you're driving a Saturn now then any TL (or Acura) is gonna seem like you left the stratosphere.
If you can take your time you will get a great 06 deal, esp right before the 07s come out. I'm reading the 07 TL will have more than the normal mid year tweaks tho, so 06s might get even cheaper!

As far as add-ons, I buy as little as I can from the dealer. big dealer markup on Aspec anyway.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Welcome to the site!

So far, the big 07 rumor (almost confirmed at the TOV) is the bump in HP. However, if you need the car now and you want to trade in your Saturn, save some $$$ and buy this month.

Same rule applies as with computers--something newer, flashier, faster, and better will always come along, so if you need something now, just buy it with no regrets.

We hope to hear of your successful purchase!

Yeah... I hear ya (and everyone else). I've already arranged my financing, I'm getting quotes, and my old car is wheezing pretty badly. Need to pull the trigger.
D.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Just wait until the 07 comes out and if you dont think the 07 is worth the extra cost, you can still pick up a 06 for even less because they will still be around until the end of the year.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the help gang..... picked up my new TL yesterday, and after seeing the article in the Boston Globe this morning re: 07 TL, I'm even more glad I did. I actually received some inside information from a reliable aquaintance who's working a consulting gig for Acura at the factory where the RDX and the new TL is being made, and still decided to go ahead. the *only* info I had that might have made me wait is the idea of a new NAV system that's more like the RL (having the real-time traffic, enhanced voice command that recognizes addresses and street names, etc)... but in the end it wasn't worth the extra several thousand dollars and the time.

Got my Anthracite/Quartz with Navi for $31,314, and I'm a happy camper.

Question.....
did anyone out there get the paint/leather protection package? Is it worth it or just one of those add-ons that makes the dealer more money than it delivers in value?

D.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:02 PM
B A N N E D

If your going to go with the splashguards, I wuold have em painted... thats just me , i would get em painted according to color of car. It looks really good. Someoen around here did ita nd it looks amazing. But its up to you what you would like to do. balck on black is what I like n thats what I ahd gotten. But good luck on ur purchase !!!: )
Old 08-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

I have anthracite/quartz too and I love it!
Good color choice
Enjoy your new car!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Welcome
Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
Congrats & welcome to the club! You can probably tell that most of us think you got a great car!
The paint/leather protection package is a dealer profit add-on. Go to the Wash & Wax forum here in a couple of weeks to decide how you want to treat the paint, leather and plastic on the car. Some people are more obsessive than others.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Advanced

Thanks for all the wecomes gang.....

Still interested in the reality of the '07.... I have my own source of info that's very different from the Boston Globe article which everyone seems to be taking as gospel... but in either case the only thing I'd have wanted was the upgraded NAV... well... a little more HP is never a bad thing. But the wait and the extra few bucks just aren't worth it to me.

I'll tell ya... the wife is loving the voice controls.... we were running errands on Sunday and she kept saying "hit the button" and I would and she'd give a command to the car.... the climate control, Nav, and Audio systems got quite a workout. Then she'd chuckle and make some remark comparing it to being on Star Trek.

As for the perma-plate option, I'm still not sure. It took a while on my last car, but eventually the leather did crack even with regular care, and I am worried a bit about the paint as the car will largely be housed out in the driveway (not under a roof or cover of any kind). Supposedly the Perma-plate package protects both and has a 7 year warranty.

Going to google around.

Thanks again all!
D.