3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Do Your Do When Someone Gives You a Door Ding...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Do Your Do When Someone Gives You a Door Ding...

This is such a pet peeve of mine. I park in the middle of no where whenever i'm in a parking lot to keep my car nice and out of the way and then the one time you dont have a big parking lot to park out of the way in, you get a door ding from some low life who cant conrtol his own door.

Im still fired up from this weekend. I was at my sisters for a mothers day get together and of course since its an apartmetn complex, there isnt a lot of places to park "out of the way in". Mind you, its a nice apartment complex, lots of beamers (low class acuras as I like to call them ). Of course, I park out of the way and the shittiest car in the parking lot, probably about a 1991 trail blazer that looked like it just took a bath in mud, parks right next to me while Im visiting and when I come out I am greeted with a nice big door ding on my passenger door handle. Now, I took the guys license plate down and took a few photographs (it was obvious from where the door ding was along with the angle it was at that it was from him), but I dont know "Door Ding Ettiquete". I doubt i'll pursue it, but still, what would you do if you were in my situation?

Basically, if you park somewhere and you come out to a door ding and the car that left it is still next to you, what do you do?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Instructor

And just to add, if I was ever the "door dinger" and not the "door dingee" I would probably leave my info for the other person. A few factors of course....

If the other car was real old and it was obvious that the person didnt care about it, then no I would leave my info..

If it was a nice acura, or any make/model where it was obvious the person spent time to keep it nice...Then yes, I woudl leave my info. I guess its just knowing the feeling of when somethign happens to my car, and I would hate for someone to feel the same way. Just my opinion though!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Really all you can do is live with it unless you like to get in people faces, it will never hold up in court so if the person says no there is really nothing you can do. Now if your in the car and or see the person do it, its different. i would make them pay for the PDR work and then to get it polished. Good luck man.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Yeah I mean Im just going to take it this time and deal with it probably...But just looking for what people do in this situation, for future reference!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

I will be intrested to see as well, my girlfriend just keys that side of the persons car when they ding her Murano... I love her hahahaha
Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Use a knife and make a nice scratch in his door. At least you'll have a measure of gratification.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
^What if that car wasn't the one who door dinged your GF Murano? And the car parked there before?

Just try to be smart. Park as far as you can if you want your car to have a better percentage not to be dinged, scratched, etc... Don't park in a tighten parking spot. If that is how your parking spots at work or at your apartment or whatever is, then tough luck, you will get your car scratched or dinged. If you don't want to, go find another job, place to live, complain etc... Or just don't buy a Luxury car and get a trashy civic.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ then they should park somewhere away from a car where there's a better chance not to park next to a car that just got dinged. they shouldnt park in a tight spot, like one in which the previous spotholder mightve dinged someone. if the car gets scratched or keyed, tough luck. u can always drive a trashy civic so u wont care if someone keys ur car by mistake
Old 05-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Key there car so they can suffer the pain. When you meticulously keep your paint job scratch/dent free.

BUT, only if you knew the right car transferred paint to your own.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Instructor

^ we can all drive shitty civics and maybe have them come scratched to piss from the factory so no one will ever care about a ding
Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

@ cool guy: My cousin has an 06 civic, his is black, he has alot of door dings but thats because he doesnt care for his car. I get OCD about lil dings. needs to be fixed and touched up if its a deep scratch
Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
If their door hit your plastic door handle then there shouldnt be any dents on your car maybe a nick in the paint. That would be minor I say touch that up yourself and call it a day. Now if the body sheet metal was actually dented then I would be pissed. Dings are also a pet peeve of mine and im proud to say there is not a single one on my 08 TL-S. I dont ever have to park by other cars for the most part but im also very careful.
Worst case a paintless dent repair guy can usually fix them.

james
Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
My front passenger side door handle has already taken a hit...I'd be fuming if it was the door. I was wondering how much it would cost to replace that handle. Let us know if you find out. I just touched it up for now.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

^I agree touch up is always handy for nicks on doorhandles. but most people have larger trucks where I live and they are always careless and hit my small integra. Luckly my side body molding are so thick nd stick out they dnt touch my doors sheet metal.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
kick the sh!t out of their door pay backs a bi%ch
Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
my door got dinged at work (i work at a college). I didnt see it, but the car next to me had a bunch of paint chips at the edge of her door. She also parked close enough where I could imagine her having a hard time getting out without letting the door touch mine.

Made like a 1cm mark on it that I kind of rubbed off. Buffing would probably fix it. At least it didnt make a dent. I thought for a minute about writing a note but it's hearsay.

in other news, college students suck at parking.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

^ I agree with proimport: its not very nice to be careless and hit other peoples car. Esp. a nice Acura TL. Some people might be crazy and do the same but on purpose because they take care of their cars.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

@ ez12a: I know what you mean I go to college and parking spots are narrow, particularly the parking structures. There is bound to be dents and nicks on the doors. All you can do is buff them out, or use touch up paint.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Use a knife and make a nice scratch in his door. At least you'll have a measure of gratification.

Meh. Light-weight.

I lurk until they come back to their vehicle. Then I kill 'em and hide them in my trunk (it's cool; I've got a truck liner/tray ).

Then I come back late at night and dig up the parking space where all this ding-action occurred and bury them.

I find there's a subtle kind of irony burying the bastard under the parking space where he dinged my ride.

THAT is a measure of gratification.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Meh. Light-weight.

I lurk until they come back to their vehicle. Then I kill 'em and hide them in my trunk (it's cool; I've got a truck liner/tray ).

Then I come back late at night and dig up the parking space where all this ding-action occurred and bury them.

I find there's a subtle kind of irony burying the bastard under the parking space where he dinged my ride.

You're hilarious man...It kinda happened to me because where i live is pretty hard to find parking and one time i parked and i found a fuked up van parked so close to my front bumper that it was actually pushing my car back a bit. I just had my bumper re-done that time too so i was so mad, i popped 2 of his tires as well as key'ing the shyt out of the fuking van. I'm not paying no $350 to re do my bumper lol. Well i'm sure that dude learned his lesson I'm sure it was very inmature of me but the culprit was right infront of me and i do take very goooooodd care of my TL.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
You give me a door ding and I'll raise you a boot dent.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Racer

Can you post some pictures?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura Dealer

Being a regional sales rep as a occupation, I am constantly checking my car for scratches, dents and dings. The most recent ding since I got my car was my local Acura dealer. I took it in for service and several days later I receive the car back and notice the ding. It took all the paint and was located on my driver door. So what did I do....

Nothing

Seriously that's a losing battle for such a small ding that's barely noticeably from 6 feet away. But I know for a fact it was not there before the dealer took it in..

Its a used car and this stuff happens over the years and its unavoidable

My 2 cents

Last edited by rkan121; 05-10-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
@rkan: i'd be in my SA's ear about the ding. i had lot damage from my dealer before, and my SA knows that i'm meticulous with the car and there are NO dings on the car. they fixed it without a hassle.

@OP, consider parking next to the bimmers in the lot. with regard to the ding...depends how bad. if it takes paint, i'd be pissed. just a ding, how bad? really bad...and driving me nuts...PDR.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coolguy
^ then they should park somewhere away from a car where there's a better chance not to park next to a car that just got dinged. they shouldnt park in a tight spot, like one in which the previous spotholder mightve dinged someone. if the car gets scratched or keyed, tough luck. u can always drive a trashy civic so u wont care if someone keys ur car by mistake
I'd be pretty pissed if I got keyed because I just happened to park next to the guy that got dinged. What if there weren't any other spots for me to park in? In the OP's case it sounds like he can at least get the ding removed nearly entirely or entirely with PDR. Keyed paint typically requires substantial polishing work or respray of the entire affected area.

Keying someone's car is the most cowardly thing you can do.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Meh. Light-weight.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I agree with taking the high road, it is extremely frustrating at that moment to think rationally. I try to be level headed and let it go but I remember parking my commuter Accord, before it was totaled by an F150, a GMC Safari was parked so close to me they must have been twig, no leaf, skinny to get out. I had to climb in from my passenger side. Long story short, as I pulled out, I used my Spyderco to leave them a nice present the length of their car. Other than that, I usually park as far away as I can but if it happens it happens, get mad then get over it.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Hello... Good AM!

Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
I will be intrested to see as well, my girlfriend just keys that side of the persons car when they ding her Murano... I love her hahahaha
People like your girlfriend makes me fear the life of my paint... Like someone else said, what if it wasn't me that dinged the door? Bah...
Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Hello... Good AM!

Oh and to answer the original question, I would go kick and scream on the way to the corner to cry... LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
i would confront the guy first and than it all depends because i do believe in second chances. for example ( this isnt a door ding btw lol ) one night i was sitting in my car parked on the side of the street with all the lights off. this woman was backing up from her driveway to get out onto the street. my car was perpendicular to her driveway. she hits my car and after the impact she kept pushing on the accelerator not realizing shes hitting me. i yelled a few times until she finally noticed. when she got out the car she started yelling and saying how my car should have lights on the side,basically saying it was my fault. if i run into a person like this one i would make them pay right away or go with insurance. she did end up paying $300 on the spot.....this was in my older 2000 tl btw
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rhafikjaan
she hits my car and after the impact she kept pushing on the accelerator not realizing shes hitting me. i yelled a few times until she finally noticed. when she got out the car she started yelling and saying how my car should have lights on the side,basically saying it was my fault. if i run into a person like this one i would make them pay right away or go with insurance. she did end up paying $300 on the spot.....this was in my older 2000 tl btw
Similar shit happened to me, I saw this college intern in the parking lot at work. I'm in my older Accord and she is looking for a parking space while driving forward and commits to turning the corner without looking. I see her and stop, when she turns around and sees me around the corner, I'm screaming and yelling with my hands saying stop...she panics and hits the accelerator.

Since were both the same ethnicity, her mother pleads with me not to tell the insurance company and that she'll pay the quote from wherever I want to get it fixed - sounds fair. I get the quote and the mother now changes tune and says she wants to see the work finished before she pays . I had just come from a lunch group meditation and just let it go.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:13 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tehvine
You give me a door ding and I'll raise you a boot dent.
I used to work with a guy that did this, and he didn't just leave a little dent.. it was a monster heel stomp to the center of the door that left a huge dent.

We were walking back to his car after a lunch break and actually saw a guy in a Ford Taurus throw his door open and hit my buddies RX7
Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll one up Tehvine.
You ding me noticeably enough, you get a wrench ding + a key note.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by proimport
kick the sh!t out of their door pay backs a bi%ch
I did this once to a piece of crap that parked right next to my car up tight in a parking lot that was wide open (this was a long time ago). I was so mad and kicked his passenger door so hard that I knocked a small section of paint off at the point where my heel made contact. And yes, I made sure it was his car that made the over two inch mark on my door before I kicked his door.

I have no sympathy or compassion for someone who willingly or negligently does damage to my property.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by corumz
People like your girlfriend makes me fear the life of my paint... Like someone else said, what if it wasn't me that dinged the door? Bah...
Dude she is not stupid. 99% of the time in a ding you will find the color of the paint that was left from the other car, she wouldnt just go keying everyone because she got a ding.
Around here if you park a nice car far away there is always some asshole that will come park his big red neck truck or shit car right in the spot next to mine... then its fair game also.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
If their door hit your plastic door handle then there shouldnt be any dents on your car maybe a nick in the paint. That would be minor I say touch that up yourself and call it a day. Now if the body sheet metal was actually dented then I would be pissed. Dings are also a pet peeve of mine and im proud to say there is not a single one on my 08 TL-S. I dont ever have to park by other cars for the most part but im also very careful.
Worst case a paintless dent repair guy can usually fix them.

james
^ This. Be glad it wasn't in the body of your car. You can probably replace your door handle for relatively cheap. I would pursue that route.

Door dings suck, but it's life I guess. I do everything in my power to avoid them. I'll walk a mile before I park in a tight spot, but sometime there's literally nothing you can do to avoid parking in spots, and when that one day comes you can be sure that's the day you'll get a ding. That's how my one ding happened to me. You just have to suck it up. Sorry to hear about your ding.

Originally Posted by tones160
You're hilarious man...It kinda happened to me because where i live is pretty hard to find parking and one time i parked and i found a fuked up van parked so close to my front bumper that it was actually pushing my car back a bit. I just had my bumper re-done that time too so i was so mad, i popped 2 of his tires as well as key'ing the shyt out of the fuking van. I'm not paying no $350 to re do my bumper lol. Well i'm sure that dude learned his lesson I'm sure it was very inmature of me but the culprit was right infront of me and i do take very goooooodd care of my TL.
The responses like this kinda surprise me. I would never even key someone's car for a door ding, much less pull something like this. First of all, they actually hit your car with theirs- they didn't simply open up a door on you. So you probably have a stronger legal standing if you want to fight it. But chances are it was an accident and if you handle it like a man you can probably get it taken care of the right way. "Key'ing the shyt out of the fuking van" and popping tires is ridiculous, cowardly, and could actually get you thrown in jail. Just stupid.

This isn't directed specifically at tones, I'm just talking in general now. I understand being pissed about someone who is negligent and abusive to your property... believe me I feel the exact same way, but in my mind you're worse than the offender when you willingly and purposefully cause damage to their property. At least what they did was most likely an accident. By keying the person's car and bailing what are you proving? Absolutely nothing. The odds of them even knowing what the hell happened are practically non-existent. They'll just think they're the victim of some asshat committing vandalism... which is basically the truth. If you actually want to do something about it, wait on the person or get their information and pursue that route. At least that way they'll be aware of what they did wrong and it will hopefully prevent it from happening again to someone else. You trying to talk to the person, showing them what they did, and trying to reach a solution that way is way more productive and effective then keying their car and bailing. Seems like I'm alone in this perspective though.

Wow. Sorry for the rant. Cool story, me.

EDIT: I feel like I should specify that none of what I said applies in a situation where someone deliberately caused damage to your car... only in an accident. If something purposeful happens, I still think there are better ways to handle it, but I think retaliation would be a little more justified.

Flame suit on.

Last edited by jsonkimz; 05-11-2011 at 08:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jhumbo (08-20-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
You get over it after the first ding. It could've been an accident; no need to be a dick about it.

I parked in the back of the lot at a local Home Depot once and came out to this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There were NO cars around other than these two. I was angry, but I didn't act on it...maybe next time I'll leave a note.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
^ That's ridiculous. Someone is just being stupid at that point. Did you have a ding from them? Because I'd would call that purposeful for sure.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch

Quick Reply: What Do Your Do When Someone Gives You a Door Ding...