3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Do Your Do When Someone Gives You a Door Ding...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
ok so we're all exchanging our door ding experiences. so...what the hell is wrong with people and carts? (sorry to hijack) parked in the far end of the garage near a couple of bimmers, and come back to find a cart in front of the pillar i have parked next to (not behind it pointing into it so it doesn't roll anywhere), but in front of it. of course i inspect the car, and thankfully i don't believe it hit the car, but really??? trying to avoid the door dings and other people brings other hazards, LIKE CARTS!! stupid people.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I partially agree and I have no problem confronting the person. However, I know myself and I know the potential of it getting physical depending on the other guy's attitude. I've had a guy choked out across his hood when he rear ended me and then came at me with an attitude. I'm too old to get in trouble anymore. Plus, sometimes you could be waiting for hours for the person to finish shopping. Letting them know you don't appreciate the door ding or scratch they gave you might make them think the next time they park.
I hear what you're saying, but I have to disagree. I'll bet that 99% of the time when someone walks out to their car with a huge dent or key marks they have no idea why it happened. If they're careless and stupid enough to give you a door ding, they're probably too stupid to figure out why their car has been vandalized. I suppose it's better than getting into a physical confrontation, but retaliating by committing the same act they committed does nothing, IMO.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by jsonkimz
I hear what you're saying, but I have to disagree. I'll bet that 99% of the time when someone walks out to their car with a huge dent or key marks they have no idea why it happened. If they're careless and stupid enough to give you a door ding, they're probably too stupid to figure out why their car has been vandalized. I suppose it's better than getting into a physical confrontation, but retaliating by committing the same act they committed does nothing, IMO.
The main part we disagree on is whether or not the person realizes they left a ding. I say yes, 100% of the time they know it. It takes a hard hit to leave a ding and it makes all kinds of noise. There's no way on earth someone someone can leave a ding and not know it. A light accidental tap usually does nothing and at most a little paint transfer that can be wiped off.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
when this happened to me i confronted the driver of the car next to me. it was a company car so he gave me the info and i had the insurance take care of it ... no biggy
Old 05-16-2011, 08:11 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I partially agree and I have no problem confronting the person. However, I know myself and I know the potential of it getting physical depending on the other guy's attitude. I've had a guy choked out across his hood when he rear ended me and then came at me with an attitude. I'm too old to get in trouble anymore. Plus, sometimes you could be waiting for hours for the person to finish shopping. Letting them know you don't appreciate the door ding or scratch they gave you might make them think the next time they park.

haha ohhh man, i need to send you a friend request ...when ever you're around the area you need to grab a beer with me and the rest of the guys lol. That's just too funny, did the guy pressed charges on you?

To all: I know i only have 5 yrs driving in general but to be honest i drive wayyy better than a lot of people who's been driving for more than 10yrs. It's all about the person's driving style, how they perceive and respond back. It takes a lot for someone to actually make me nervous in a highway. Unless your driving a big old trailer and you're falling asleep hehe
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Old 05-16-2011, 08:52 PM
KBPftmfw

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
it seems like you didnt park in the first or last space in a row
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
yeah i did that once....thought, oh i'll park heavy to my driver side line next to the 350Z that parked heavy to their driverside, leaving plenty of room to my passenger side...last time i did that, the moron who parked next to me, hit my car as it was parked, pulling in and then left as soon as he figured out what he had done before i got back to my car. jackass, left a softball size dent and scraped the qtr panel near the rear passenger door. didn't even leave a note. grrrrr!!!

never again will i dare to park close thinking everything will be ok. i'm not too trusting of other people anymore, b/c too many of them just dont' care and then aren't man enough to own up to doing it. stupid wussies.
I parked in the last row at work, on the end spot and someone pulled in wide and clipped my driver side quarter right above the tire. They did $1,300 worth of damage. And drove off. Imagine how pissed I was. No cameras and of course no note. I walked the lot each day for a week to find the person who would have had damage on their front, right bumper. No luck. Turned it in to insurance. If by some chance I find out who did it...
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
I parked in the last row at work, on the end spot and someone pulled in wide and clipped my driver side quarter right above the tire. They did $1,300 worth of damage. And drove off. Imagine how pissed I was. No cameras and of course no note. I walked the lot each day for a week to find the person who would have had damage on their front, right bumper. No luck. Turned it in to insurance. If by some chance I find out who did it...
omg that's fuking terrible.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry a hard plastic hammer and a sharp screwdriver in the car to return the favor. Put BB's under the valve stem caps, tape a razor blade under the door handle. Super glue in the door locks etc.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

Don't let it turn into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K19bKN3teOo

One of my favorite shows btw...
Old 05-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by chas22
Carry a hard plastic hammer and a sharp screwdriver in the car to return the favor. Put BB's under the valve stem caps, tape a razor blade under the door handle. Super glue in the door locks etc.
You gotta be kidding me.... A razor blade.... really?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,234 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by answersto?s
Don't let it turn into this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K19bKN3teOo

One of my favorite shows btw...
That was great!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
sounds EXACTLY like what happened with me just on the passenger side. i was swearing so loud in the parking lot people were looking at me like WTH is wrong with her?? mine was $1000 worth of a damage, a week of my life inconvenienced, and just the notion that people are so...irresponsible and careless. to add insult to injury...when i went to pick my car up at the body shop at the time...they were moving my car and ended up backing into a raised curb damaging the bumper, right in front of me. i didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that point. i just stood there in complete shock.

at least at work you can narrow down your suspects a little...jerks.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

sounds EXACTLY like what happened with me just on the passenger side. i was swearing so loud in the parking lot people were looking at me like WTH is wrong with her?? mine was $1000 worth of a damage, a week of my life inconvenienced, and just the notion that people are so...irresponsible and careless. to add insult to injury...when i went to pick my car up at the body shop at the time...they were moving my car and ended up backing into a raised curb damaging the bumper, right in front of me. i didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that point. i just stood there in complete shock.

at least at work you can narrow down your suspects a little...jerks.
omg you got some luck there lol
Old 05-18-2011, 04:56 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by tones160
omg you got some luck there lol
i have really weird car karma. the following year, i get loved tapped at a light (i was stopped, the kid hit me at 15 mph) into the very same bumper that has been repaired (same area). ugh. take it to a high quality body shop and they get the bumper replaced for me after the insurance only wanted to repair it. there has been other stuff unrelated to the body shop (thankfully), where i get one thing that is good for the car only to discover other stuff.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

i have really weird car karma. the following year, i get loved tapped at a light (i was stopped, the kid hit me at 15 mph) into the very same bumper that has been repaired (same area). ugh. take it to a high quality body shop and they get the bumper replaced for me after the insurance only wanted to repair it. there has been other stuff unrelated to the body shop (thankfully), where i get one thing that is good for the car only to discover other stuff.
Reading your posts I feel like I'm reading my own. Besides all of the times it's been hit, I took it in for tires and an alignment and got it back with crushed side skirts from using the wrong type of lift and the plastic shielding under the car fell down on the freeway 20 minutes later. It was lots of fun in a suit trying to do a one handed "push up" with one arm so I didn't touch the ground and try to rip the remaining plastic off the car with the other arm on the side of the freeway. People think I overreact about my car but when it's been damaged this many times by neglect or carelessness I have no patience. An honest accident I have no problem with but I think that's a very small percent.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
99% of the population don't consider their cars anything more than utility item. Like a vacuum cleaner. I don't think people do it maliciously although when I see nice shiny rides taking 2 spaces in prime areas, the thought of doing something does come to mind.

It used to bother me a lot but I've learned to deal with it. The stress of the frustration just isn't worth it. If it's that important to keep your ride pristine, then leave it in your garage. You aren't going to change people and revenge is not the best recourse. Many times it can work against you.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ mature mayne
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced

OK! The razor blade thing is out. Just happened to see it in a movie, sounded good at the time! Let’s leave the blade in the razor and dry shave their eyebrows or mustache
Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

well thats nothing man lol, this past thursday my car got key'ed the shyt out of. They keyed my hood like if a baby was coloring a picture with a crayon and on saturday morning someone with a jeep must've hit my car's rear bumper because even the paint chipped a lot right on the border corner where the trunk door closes. I just got this fukin bumper repaired and it wasn't cheap at all lol. I learned that as long as your car is outdoors people will not give a flying crap what car you drive.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well thats nothing man lol, this past thursday my car got key'ed the shyt out of. They keyed my hood like if a baby was coloring a picture with a crayon and on saturday morning someone with a jeep must've hit my car's rear bumper because even the paint chipped a lot right on the border corner where the trunk door closes. I just got this fukin bumper repaired and it wasn't cheap at all lol. I learned that as long as your car is outdoors people will not give a flying crap what car you drive.
so...who did you make mad to get keyed??? i think i would cry if that happened to me. the bumper...i feel your pain. people are so careless and disrespectful to others property. this is one of the many reasons why i hate being around other people...b/c they do stupid sh!t like this.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

well i believe is this one guy at my job who's a hater because a manager's spot was given to me even though i'm just a supervisor lol but i have no proof so i just started parking my car right in front of a camera in the same garage since where i used to park it, it was a blind spot.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well i believe is this one guy at my job who's a hater because a manager's spot was given to me even though i'm just a supervisor lol but i have no proof so i just started parking my car right in front of a camera in the same garage since where i used to park it, it was a blind spot.
well that's a stupid reason to key someone's car. it's one thing to park like a complete idiot, but because of that?! that's petty as hell. is it all fixed?
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

so...who did you make mad to get keyed??? i think i would cry if that happened to me. the bumper...i feel your pain. people are so careless and disrespectful to others property. this is one of the many reasons why i hate being around other people...b/c they do stupid sh!t like this.
I had an ex key my TL when it was 2 months old. I didn't like her anyway but didn't want to break up with her the day before Valentine's day so I was going to wait till the day after. She got mad at me for something stupid and when I looked out the house window I saw her black TL parked there. I went outside and she jumped when she saw me and took off running for her car. I didn't have to look, I ran after her, almost caught her on foot but could only throw my keys at her TL. Called the cops, pressed charges, she was arrested about an hour later and spent the night in jail. Insurance pressed charges. Once she got out of jail she proceeded to go to a party that night, got drunk, wrecked the her TL into a tree, nealy died and thought they were going to amputate her leg. She had no insurance and as soon as she was released from the hospital a couple weeks later she was arrested for DUI. She also owed on the TL that had no insurance and burned to the ground. To make it worse I got a restraining order on her for just about every place she was likely to go. I got my friend who's just a mean guy to serve her. He served her at work but got a few of her co-workers helping to find her so that when he served her the papers everyone saw. I knew the manager of her job very well so I got her fired shortly after.

She definitely got what she deserved for keying my car. To make it worse, a really hot chick in a Bimmer pulled up next to me at a redlight and rolled her window down. I rolled mine down and she pointed to the big key mark down the side of my car and said Ex girlfriend? Last I heard this girl ended up a stripper at a sleazy club locally. I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

I had an ex key my TL when it was 2 months old. I didn't like her anyway but didn't want to break up with her the day before Valentine's day so I was going to wait till the day after. She got mad at me for something stupid and when I looked out the house window I saw her black TL parked there. I went outside and she jumped when she saw me and took off running for her car. I didn't have to look, I ran after her, almost caught her on foot but could only throw my keys at her TL. Called the cops, pressed charges, she was arrested about an hour later and spent the night in jail. Insurance pressed charges. Once she got out of jail she proceeded to go to a party that night, got drunk, wrecked the her TL into a tree, nealy died and thought they were going to amputate her leg. She had no insurance and as soon as she was released from the hospital a couple weeks later she was arrested for DUI. She also owed on the TL that had no insurance and burned to the ground. To make it worse I got a restraining order on her for just about every place she was likely to go. I got my friend who's just a mean guy to serve her. He served her at work but got a few of her co-workers helping to find her so that when he served her the papers everyone saw. I knew the manager of her job very well so I got her fired shortly after.

She definitely got what she deserved for keying my car. To make it worse, a really hot chick in a Bimmer pulled up next to me at a redlight and rolled her window down. I rolled mine down and she pointed to the big key mark down the side of my car and said Ex girlfriend? Last I heard this girl ended up a stripper at a sleazy club locally. I couldn't be happier.
damn. where did you find her? talk about issues. good thing you've move on and hopefully you're with a girl that is...a little more...normal/sane. the ex sounds like a complete nut job...oye.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

lol that's a crazy story dude...pobably it was my last ex who keyed my accord about 3 yrs ago =[
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Instead of parking in the middle of a parking lot, or in the way back (where people will target your car) simply park in an end spot, preferably one on the right side (passenger side if a car parks next to you) and park as close to the curb as possible. Most of the time the driver is the only one in the car (no passenger) so the chances of them opening the passenger door are slim to none. Unfortunately as some have experienced a bad driver will just plain run into your car.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Pro

Yeah, you can do everything within your power, but sometimes it's not enough to counteract people's stupidity.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dodge Ram in a spot that couldnt even fit a smart car
Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
I personally don't care if people park next to me, but I do go out of my way to park out further or park on an end spot. My car is 6 years old and has two small dings from the previous owner and thats it. Impressive.

My mom and I were at a mall in her brand new GLK when it had <1000 miles on it. We parked way far away, the lot was empty where we were. Some jackass in a rustbucket of a 1990 lifted Chevy Silverado parked literally inches away from the side of her car. It was beyond clear that it was intentional. She pulled out of the spot so I could get in the car. I spit my gum and plopped in right in the middle of his windshield. Yeah it sounds really dumb now, and I normally don't do stupid shit like that, but it made me feel like some justice was served...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
do u think that getting the door side moldings would protect the car from dings? I feel like they would but they also ruin the "clean" look of the car since they add another horizontal line to the cars door.

Last edited by wall e; 06-18-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Pro

^ Not really a fan. Plus, I think it would only help a fraction of the time as it would take the right kind of door in order for that thing to protect. My two dings are in places where the molding wouldn't have helped. It was either a truck or a car with a door edge that came to more of a point (instead of a flat edge). Plus, you're right, it really ruins the look of the car, IMO.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by wall e
do u think that getting the door side moldings would protect the car from dings? I feel like they would but they also ruin the "clean" look of the car since they add another horizontal line to the cars door.
Save the money for PDR if you get a door ding. My dad had some removed at the dealer for $70/ding. Not too bad. About the same cost as the molding.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by cjTL
Save the money for PDR if you get a door ding. My dad had some removed at the dealer for $70/ding. Not too bad. About the same cost as the molding.
was that an acura dealership? I have a lot of dings on my car doors' edges, the paint is still intact but i hate those dings. Some asshole just punched the shyt ouf of it as well as my trunk door, rear fender and part of my front fender. I wonder how much will the dealer charge me for that.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm Craig

was that an acura dealership? I have a lot of dings on my car doors' edges, the paint is still intact but i hate those dings. Some asshole just punched the shyt ouf of it as well as my trunk door, rear fender and part of my front fender. I wonder how much will the dealer charge me for that.
Benz dealer, I assume rates are similar though. Regardless of how much the dealer charges, it beats the heck out of body work and painting.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Use a knife and make a nice scratch in his door. At least you'll have a measure of gratification.
Ok, but what if the person who did ding your car left before you came out and someone else who didn't do it park next to you. How would you know that person did it?

Also, I would like to know as I love my acura. If I see someone ding it and they don't want to pay what do I do? Get there license plate or something and then do what? Tips
Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Cruisin'

ok so we're all exchanging our door ding experiences. so...what the hell is wrong with people and carts? (sorry to hijack) parked in the far end of the garage near a couple of bimmers, and come back to find a cart in front of the pillar i have parked next to (not behind it pointing into it so it doesn't roll anywhere), but in front of it. of course i inspect the car, and thankfully i don't believe it hit the car, but really??? trying to avoid the door dings and other people brings other hazards, LIKE CARTS!! stupid people.

Once my girlfriend and I went to walmart at night, we were driving around lot for good parking space where we didn't have to walk far. I parked in the very fist space near the entrance, I came out and I saw someone just let a cart go smash on my car it sceatched the left rear tire a
Area...I didn't see who it was but if I ever see someone do it I might get in trouble with law.

Oh yes also, this was at another walmart, someone was maybe jealous of my ride and grabbed a black sharpie pen and marked around the side of my driver door I was able to rub it off with a wet shirt but cmon don't be dickheads
Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
^What if that car wasn't the one who door dinged your GF Murano? And the car parked there before?

Just try to be smart. Park as far as you can if you want your car to have a better percentage not to be dinged, scratched, etc... Don't park in a tighten parking spot. If that is how your parking spots at work or at your apartment or whatever is, then tough luck, you will get your car scratched or dinged. If you don't want to, go find another job, place to live, complain etc... Or just don't buy a Luxury car and get a trashy civic.
I agree with you on the first comment what if the car the dinger took off and someone else parked there who didn't do it, hard to tell agree..

But even if you park alone far from cars, people are jackasses that they will let carts go smash in your car, I've seen it like Walmarts for example. I know that if I saw a cart headed for someone elses nice car I would run and grab it. Not all people think the same. The other day I went to wmart I parked first spot of parking lot near entrance and far from other space, I came out and there was a cart smashed up against my left side angle above tire.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
just live with it
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Cruisin'

Son, how would you feel if you came out and had a cart smashed up against your nice car?

Quick Reply: What Do Your Do When Someone Gives You a Door Ding...