Well, I got my new EL42s today and....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004 | 05:28 PM
kgc
10th Gear

Well, I got my new EL42s today and....

I am quite pleased! I had no trouble getting the dealer to get them for me, as well as handling my memory seat (which is also perfectly working now; wife gets in and her No. 1 key adjusts to her setting; I get in and my 2 key adjusts to mine).

The "new" ELs seem a bit taller to me, and ride much smoother, almost Lexus-like now without the cushiony feel. Car handles better. I'm pleased as punch right now. My TL, at least so far, is flat spot free and cruising like a dream.

My personal experience with Acura customer service, at least at my local dealership, is A1.
Old 04-06-2004 | 12:10 PM
Advanced

Good for you. As they say your mileage may vary.
I am promised the new EL 42's but have low hopes..
Old 04-06-2004 | 12:57 PM
Instructor

I just got mine the other day also and I agree with you. The car rides smoother, and softer, and the new tires are quiter also. This morning it was 32 in NJ and unfortunately they still flat spot.
Old 04-06-2004 | 01:05 PM
Intermediate

I'm confused with this whole tire problem. I know many people have been having problems with there tires I have the loud vibrating on some roads but other then that runs fine. Got my TL right when it came out in Nov. Is acura just swapping your tires for new ones at no charge...
Old 04-06-2004 | 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree the ne EL's ride better and are softer and quieter, mine unfortunately still flat spot. They dealer is working on diagnosing if it's the tires or the car itself. My hopes are pinned on the tires.
Old 04-06-2004 | 02:17 PM
Advanced

I am a bit confused as well. I have been reading so much about "the vibration" that I am not sure if I have it or just imagining at this point.

How prominent is it? And what is a tell tale sign that you actually are experiencing it?
Old 04-07-2004 | 06:53 AM
Advanced

bump
Old 04-07-2004 | 09:35 AM
Intermediate

i have the new el42's too but now i have the vibrations at 70 and above. the vibrations are so bad that you can see the whole steering wheel shake. the dealer experienced the same thing and they are diagnosing it now.
Old 04-09-2004 | 01:55 PM
Instructor

I just got the new replacement EL42's as well. My original tires flatspotted and had some vibration, more at lower speeds. I seem to now have the vibration at speeds over 70mph as well as other posters with the new tires. You can feel it in steering wheel and gas pedal. Some roads are better than others.... When I got them mounted I requested they use the Hunter Roadforce balancer, but they were gonna have me pay the difference in the cost of a regular balance and a Roadforce, which was 70.00 dollars which I refused to pay. They claimed they couldn't do it under warranty and they didn't have any complaints with regular balance... The original tires had one small weight on each wheel, now the replacements have around five weights in one position and a few more in one spot on one wheel. Isn't this a sign of bad tires? I have heard from some that you can tell how good a tire is from this, Michelin I have heard need very little if any balance.
Old 04-09-2004 | 03:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by dheel
I just got the new replacement EL42's as well. My original tires flatspotted and had some vibration, more at lower speeds. I seem to now have the vibration at speeds over 70mph as well as other posters with the new tires. You can feel it in steering wheel and gas pedal. Some roads are better than others.... When I got them mounted I requested they use the Hunter Roadforce balancer, but they were gonna have me pay the difference in the cost of a regular balance and a Roadforce, which was 70.00 dollars which I refused to pay. They claimed they couldn't do it under warranty and they didn't have any complaints with regular balance... The original tires had one small weight on each wheel, now the replacements have around five weights in one position and a few more in one spot on one wheel. Isn't this a sign of bad tires? I have heard from some that you can tell how good a tire is from this, Michelin I have heard need very little if any balance.
The real sign of bad tires: EL-42

The Acura zone service manager has been working with me. He authorized the Hunter Force balance, which by the way at the shop they took it to is $20 extra.

It didn't really help, as far as I can tell. I still have the flatspotting symptoms for the first 4-5 miles, then it almost goes away. But I still felt a little vibration from the tires around 55-60mph (not the regular 55-50mph vibration because of the exhaust resonance or whatever).

It was done yesterday, and today I drove above 30 miles in fierce stop and go traffic to go shopping. When I started back home, it felt as if the vibrations (not the flatspotting because that was gone earlier) were gone and it ran smoother. Maybe these tires take a long time to warm up.
Old 04-15-2004 | 08:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Question

I'm reviewing some EL42 threads again and again this morning, trying to decide if I should accept the new EL42s...

Maybe it's good idea to take them and trade them for the better tires if things are not working out for me this time...

Anybody has refused the delivery of their new EL42s? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2004 | 09:41 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by rets
I'm reviewing some EL42 threads again and again this morning, trying to decide if I should accept the new EL42s...

Maybe it's good idea to take them and trade them for the better tires if things are not working out for me this time...

Anybody has refused the delivery of their new EL42s? Thanks.
I am !

Talked to my dealer this morning. Car is now 1 week from being shipped from the factory.

Made it abundantly clear that we have to work out something regarding the tires.
Despite a small amount of resistance on their part which I easily circumvented, I'm prevailing! I'll post the details as they happen.
Old 04-15-2004 | 10:51 AM
8th Gear

Got new EL42s as well...same problems...a little less flat spotting, but still vibrating at higher speeds. Something really needs to be done.
Old 04-15-2004 | 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pressrun
Got new EL42s as well...same problems...a little less flat spotting, but still vibrating at higher speeds. Something really needs to be done.
I will get new tires soon (next week), but I am not sure because I don't have anymore flatspotting since last month and I have no vibration at 70mph or over. I need to go to dealer anyway because fo headliner rattling and memory seat problem.
New EL42 will make new problem? hmmm....
Old 04-15-2004 | 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Just got back from the dealer, and they confirmed that my tires were flatspotting and need to be replaced. I should have my replacement set in a week.
Old 04-15-2004 | 07:29 PM
Racer

My car is a February build and my tires are from the third month in January. I am not sure if they are the new or the old tires. I find them noisy and the ride is very choppy particulary in the back end. I haven't had problems with flat spotting and I get the mildest vibration at about 55 mph. This past week I was out in the rain and I accelerated on an on merge/on ramp onto the Gardiner Expressway and the car started to slide. That was it for me and these tires. I simply will never drive a car again with tires that are poor in the rain.

I have ordered the Michelin Pilot Sports AS and they go on this weekend. I will report on them next week. Acura is going to get the EL42s back at the end of the lease.
Old 04-16-2004 | 06:22 AM
Instructor

I have had the flatspotting (here in cold Cincy this winter) about 90% of the time I drive the car. Acura Corporate (ACS) replaced my tires for me in Mid-March but the only difference I can tell is that, when warm, the tires seem to have a bit better ride. But, when cold, they are no better than the originals. I jump on the freeway within 5 minutes of leaving my house, which exacerbates the issue. I just wrote a 1 1/2 page letter to ACS and faxed it to them (see the contact info on Owner's Link on acura.com) two days ago asking for new Michie Pilot A/S Sports FREE. We'll see what happens. No response yet, although "ED" at ACS was the one who got me the replacements last month.

My dealer has been really no help - cordial but "this is an ACS issue". I think there is a little resonance around 1500 RPMs at 50 mph, but I honestly don't think it is that big a deal. I'm way more concerned with the flatspotting and want it corrected - now.

Anyone else had luck with ACS via letter or otherwise getting anything other than the recompounded EL42s?