Sponsored by:

WDP bumper color is different

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 12:29 AM
TL Type S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WDP bumper color is different

Hello

Just wondering if anybody's rear and front bumper are the same shade as the body
Mine seems a tone darker than the body

Is there anyone with the same problem? Will the dealer replace the bumper under warranty??
Old 07-03-2004, 12:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Try to PM VTEC=happiness...

He has WDP, too.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doridori
Hello

Just wondering if anybody's rear and front bumper are the same shade as the body
Mine seems a tone darker than the body

Is there anyone with the same problem? Will the dealer replace the bumper under warranty??
Mine are off a smidge. In fact, everything that is plastic and painted seems a little more "ivory" but it's not too bad on mine. For some reason our eyes perceive the difference more when it a verticle border (rear bumper) vs. a horizontal one (front bumper and BSM). Guess it's how the light hits it. Anyway, I decided not to do anything about it since I don't want anyone doing anything to my car. I see this discrepency on cars of all makes and models. I saw a Solara the other day that looked white with ivory front and rear bumpers...from like 100 feet away! Now that needed to be repainted. It's your call. The dealer will send you to a bodyshop to have the work done. They may get it right the first or 3rd time per report of some other owners here.

dsc888
Old 07-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Just run a search for "bumper discoloration" and you'll get a good start on researching the problem.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Not uncommon - part of it has to do with when the parts are painted, and that the fact that flex additives are needed in painting the urethane soft body parts.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Some on this board have had theirs repainted at no charge. I've noticed with my own that the shades only seem to be off a little bit depending on the angle and light they are viewed in and at. For my own preference I'm going to leave them alone. To me it's no big deal and the potential to make them worse is too great for me to take.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Advanced

I have Red Pearl and it only shows up differently under bright camera flash conditions. In person there are no noticeable differences in different types of lighting that I could see. I have seen differences in silver cars in all types of lighting at the dealers lot and in the showroom though.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:31 PM
TL Type S

Thank you very much for all your replies. I thought it was just my car that had this problem. When I go in for my first service I'll ask if anything can be done.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:53 AM
What's a TL?

Sorry to arrive to this thread party a little late....Rets was nice enough to alert me to this one. I do have WDP and had huge problems with my bumpers as they were extremely discolored. I have had them repainted twice now, both times on Acura's dime, but have not reached 100% satisfaction. The first repaint went horribly, the second went a bit better. In the end, despite the fact that my car spent a total of 20 days in the body shop (11 the first repaint and 9 the second time) and nearly $2000 the car looks ok. Since the second repaint was done by a high end body shop that has a great reputation in my area, I have come to agree that the plastic on the bumpers wil not allow for the paint to look perfect (although the front bumper is about 90%....the back remains about 75-80% of a match).
Old 07-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Oswald Vater
Some on this board have had theirs repainted at no charge. I've noticed with my own that the shades only seem to be off a little bit depending on the angle and light they are viewed in and at. For my own preference I'm going to leave them alone. To me it's no big deal and the potential to make them worse is too great for me to take.
Agreed. My SSM front bumper is slightly off, but you can only really notice it if you look hard and in the right light/angle. I'm worried that any fix might make it even worse, so I'm holding off.

However, I think that other threads have suggested that the problem gets slowly worse over time, so I will keep a close eye on it.