Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water on inside of car when rolling up windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:39 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water on inside of car when rolling up windows

I have an Acura TL 06'. I recently had tints put onto all the windows. The installer also put some felt in the doors as well to keep the tints from getting scratched. Well earlier in the day it was raining quite heavily. Later in the day I rolled my window down. When I went to roll the window back up I noticed that the window was wet on the inside of the car. I then checked the other three windows and it seems that the front two windows both get wet when I roll them up. I dont know if I should be concerned about this or not. I have a feeling it has something to do with the felt in the door. I just wanted to know if this is bad or not. I dont want any of the electronics in the door to get wet and maybe fail.
Does anyone else have this problem?
What should I do?

Thank you
Joe
Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe, I had my tints installed a month ago, including felt on both of the "rubber flaps" on all four doors. It POURED here today, and I opened both front windows later on after it stopped.

Not a drop of water on the inside of my glass.

All I can think of is that you may not have had the front windows all the way up to the weather seals when it rained.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I also tinted my windows and installed the mole skin. I think I know what you are talking about, because I have had some moisture on the inside of my 2 front windows after it rains. It's always in the front part of the window towards the dash....maybe 4"-6" wide strip of moisture. It doesn't seem to get too wet. I thought the same thing..."Is water getting in the door and is it going to ruin the electronics?" I've been meaning to adjust the wiper blades in the door to see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
8th Gear

Yes, that is exactly what is happening in my case. If you find a solution to this problem let me know.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I just installed Moleskin myself after getting scratches on my tint after the tint shop said it wouldn't scratch. They didn't use any type of felt. I hope this Moleskin works??? TOO many problems with tint on our TL's.
I don't understand all the PRO's and CON's with Moleskin and other felt. What works??? Otherwise you get scratches, or wet inside electronics???
Old 06-28-2007, 07:41 PM
RIP 06 TL

The SAME exact thing happens to my 06. Only on the passenger side though. Its weird. I can't figure out if its from the window seal, the moleskin or what? After I wash my car and i go to roll down the windows only the passenger one in the front 4-6" has moisture on the inside. Hopefully someone has an answer for this
Old 06-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Safety Car

If I have anymore problems with tint, be it scratches or wetness, ITS COMING OFF I will leave the back tinted. $300 in the DRAIN
Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I had this problem as well.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

I too had this problem. At first I thought it was just a shitty job by the tint place, but it looks like a lot of others have had this as well. The only thing that I can suggest that is different but dont quite think this has happened to everyone that had this problem is that the guy at the tint place said that the rubber strips might have somehow got switched around when they took them out to put the moleskins on. He said it was very hard to notice but pointed it out to me later. I had my front tints completely removed anyways and the moleskins taken out as well and now everything seems fine. It looked great with 5% tint all the way around but I hated the fact that it got wet on the inside.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

I am now wondering if during the winter in Chicago if I could get frost on the inside when the car gets cold at night? OH WELL, I will see in 5 months. TOO bad TL's have tint problems, it makes the car look so awesome.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I also have this issue but never thought it was abnormal. I remember the day I took delivery from my dealer (before tinting windows) and the salesman said not to roll down the windows for an hour or two because they'll get wet (because of a car wash earlier in the day). I suspect this is normal moisture gathering on the top of the seals- perhaps there's a slight forward slant on the doors that channels water from the seals to the forward part of the door.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:17 AM
Safety Car

Well that could be good news.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:06 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just thought of a possible cause for this...

When the felt on the outside of the glass (which is wet from a carwash or rain) comes in contact with the felt (or the rubber for those without moleskin) on the inside of the glass (once you lower the glass), it's POSSIBLE that the felt is 'transferring' water from the wet felt (outside) to the dry (inside). It probably doesn't happen in the back of the glass because the window does not go low enough to allow the outside (wet) felt to touch the inside (dry) felt. But if you look at the front 6" or so as you lower your window...since the window is angled back, the in and out are able to touch almost immediately as you lower the glass, starting in the immediate front and moving back as the glass goes lower. But they never touch beyond about 6" back even when the glass is completely lowered. I just checked it out in my car and this just might be the culprit.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ChicagoBurbs
I just thought of a possible cause for this...

When the felt on the outside of the glass (which is wet from a carwash or rain) comes in contact with the felt (or the rubber for those without moleskin) on the inside of the glass (once you lower the glass), it's POSSIBLE that the felt is 'transferring' water from the wet felt (outside) to the dry (inside). It probably doesn't happen in the back of the glass because the window does not go low enough to allow the outside (wet) felt to touch the inside (dry) felt. But if you look at the front 6" or so as you lower your window...since the window is angled back, the in and out are able to touch almost immediately as you lower the glass, starting in the immediate front and moving back as the glass goes lower. But they never touch beyond about 6" back even when the glass is completely lowered. I just checked it out in my car and this just might be the culprit.
BY GEORGE I think you are correct Good work Sherlock
I bet your right, that makes total sense COOL