Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSA Activation

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
mjfpjf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question VSA Activation

Is there any obvious/sure way to tell if VSA is activating. There aren't any indicators and the owner's manual isn't real definitive. I ask because every day I drive a somewhat roller-coaster road. There is one hard right corner as you're going down a grade which requires just a touch on the brakes in the approach. But ... every day, I feel like the brakes momentarily grab and then release. Comments, anyone?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:10 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the VSA in your gauge cluster will light up if it is active. It also lights up if you manually disengage it.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

There's a light that will show an "!" (exclamation mark) to indicate VSA has engaged. If you want to know what it looks like, just turn off VSA like ayethetiense mentioned and you'll see it. When VSA engages, it will light up. If it's just engaging for a little bit, the light will just blink on and then off.

It's possible that what you're experiencing is the Brake Assist function? I experience something similar when I've been cruising in traffic and then lightly tap on the brake pedal. The car jerks a bit and reacts as though I really needed to stop, even though I'm just coasting and have only slowed down very slightly. This usually happens in stop and go traffic, then traffic clears, so I speed up and coast for awhile, and then tap the brakes when I see traffic slowing down ahead.

Brake Assist

Brake Assist comes standard on the TL. Its purpose is to help the driver apply full braking pressure in a "panic stop" situation. To do so, a microprocessor continually analyzes and "learns" the driver's normal braking habits.

In an emergency braking situation when the brakes are suddenly applied and partially released by the driver to avoid wheel lockup, brake assist helps the driver apply full braking force via the anti-lock actuator. A pressure sensor detects an increase in brake fluid pressure and activates the anti-lock braking system. Braking pressure is maintained momentarily after the driver's initial braking action unless the driver completely releases the brake pedal.

LINK: http://hondanews.com/CatID3011?mid=2...58199&mime=asc
Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oh um.... something i forgot to mention to you. when you are at a down-grade, the vehicle knows this and will shift into a lower gear. same thing if you are going up a hill. that is prolly what you feel, and then in conjunction with you applying a little bit of the brakes, the combination of two can give you an unstable brake.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM
6MT & LSD

yeah, it could be the grade logic engaging a lower gear. see if you feel the same thing while you're in SS mode.

I doubt it's the brake assist, since it kicks in when you fully push down on the brake pedal.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Looks like your hard rights isn't hard enough because you'll know it when VSA kicks in.

One time, I was taking a turn too fast, and that split second I felt my car lose traction and was going to fishtail--VSA kicked in and put me right back in control of the car. Everything happen so quickly that I was thinking wtf just happened and how come I have not collided with the side of the mountain.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that automatic downshift is a pain sometimes. I have a long downhill on my commute home where I need to slow from about 55 to 40. Right around 40 MPH, it downshifts and feels like I punched the brakes. A passenger asked me why I punched the brake. It's a bit embarrassing to say it's actually a feature.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mjfpjf
. . . . There is one hard right corner as you're going down a grade which requires just a touch on the brakes in the approach. But ... every day, I feel like the brakes momentarily grab and then release. Comments, anyone?
You need to drive faster through the turn! Life is nothing short of exhilarating when you live right on the edge!

Just kidding about driving faster. If you really want to experience the VSA taking control I would find a real large empty parking lot. Start by mimicking a skid pad test. Try different scenarios such as over-understeer and notice what happens. Usually when it kicks in you feel it. The car reacts in a way as though there was input from the driver, but without you doing anything. Except maybe panicking briefly as you realize you've taken the car beyond it's limits. That's OK though as that is what the VSA is for. To save our asses from ourselves at times.

I know mine has kicked in a few times but as for the light on the dash coming on? I don't know. When I'm in a situation where the car is saving my ass from myself the last place I'm looking is at the dash.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:57 AM
mjfpjf

Thumbs up VSA Activation

Thanks for the replies.
Based on what I read, I'm guessing that it's the grade logic downshifting.
I've seen the light when I disengaged VSA and that light has never come on when this happens.
I'll try to check the tach.
I hate to take my eyes off the road for an instant in this turn because failure to execute means going off the edge of the road, into a guardrail, and maybe down a hundred feet into a valley.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:04 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Braking before or into the turn? I Inner front wheel lifting enough or road surface rough enough to momentarily kick off ABS ?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by mjfpjf
.... failure to execute means going off the edge of the road, into a guardrail, and maybe down a hundred feet into a valley.

Has anyone heard from mjfpjf lately ???
Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 AM
mjfpjf

Smile Down in the valley ...

Yup ... I'm still here
Thanks for asking!!