Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration/Noise on start up ABS??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration/Noise on start up ABS??

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, and I'm not even sure it's a problem (it may be normal), but each time I start up and begin to accelerate there is a slight vibration/noise coming from the front end (feels like next to gas pedal or brake pedal). Not sure if this is the ABS kicking in, but it is rather annoying.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Instructor

you know... i have a vibration problem coming from the engine when i start my car and i'm warming it up. I feel the vibrations in my steering wheel and in my seat. Its not too bad to the point where my ass is jigglin, but i can definitely feel it...

i read in the manual that the computer tries to help out in gas conservation at start up, but dont know if its doing that when im warming it up.

I didnt expect any vibrations in the steering wheel from a 35K car, especially in a 6 banger. I only expect vibrations from 4 cylinder honda engines... =\
Old 03-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Vibration/Noise on start up ABS??

Originally posted by Thomwarn
I don't know if anyone else has this problem, and I'm not even sure it's a problem (it may be normal), but each time I start up and begin to accelerate there is a slight vibration/noise coming from the front end (feels like next to gas pedal or brake pedal). Not sure if this is the ABS kicking in, but it is rather annoying.

I think it is. You talk about the "thump" or "flap" sound, right? Does it only happen once after starting your engine?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
Instructor

yeah, only on start up, and when it's cold it's a louder thump. never happens when driving. do you think this is normal?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb

Originally posted by EulisCool
you know... i have a vibration problem coming from the engine when i start my car and i'm warming it up. I feel the vibrations in my steering wheel and in my seat. Its not too bad to the point where my ass is jigglin, but i can definitely feel it...

i read in the manual that the computer tries to help out in gas conservation at start up, but dont know if its doing that when im warming it up.

I didnt expect any vibrations in the steering wheel from a 35K car, especially in a 6 banger. I only expect vibrations from 4 cylinder honda engines... =\

Do you only feel this in the beginning of warming up? or you have experienced this vibration via your steering all day long?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Instructor

its definetly not a steering wheel vibration, i only feel it coming from the pedals brake or gas area, and only when I first accelerate after start up. Never happens after that.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation

Originally posted by Thomwarn
yeah, only on start up, and when it's cold it's a louder thump. never happens when driving. do you think this is normal?

I'd like to say it's normal. Lots of ppl's Honda/Acura have the similar symptom when the car first time reaches 10 MPH... especially it takes place after the first start. ABS cycling/checking causes this issue.

Should say DON'T WORRY. (If you still feel discomfortable, you may bring up this issue in your first check up in the dealership.)
Old 03-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Yup, its the ABS. Perfectly normal condition. My o4 does it and I had a 96 Concorde that did the same thing, although I can't remember my 2k TL doing it. Anyway, don't worry about it!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EulisCool

I have this, too, or something similar. When the car is cold (not outside temperature, but meaning the engine has been off overnight) and I first start the engine, for a few seconds the car vibrates. This is while I'm still in park. It goes away by itself in less than 10 seconds, and I have no other vibrations after that. It doesn't bother me in the least, but I don't know if it's "normal" or not. It's not the ABS. What I'm describing is coming from the engine compartment itself.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear

Vibrations

I also have the same annoying vibrations when the car is warming up...it feels like the car is tearing itself apart for the first few miles.

Vibration in the gas pedal, steeering wheel, and somewhere in the dash area.

Once it warms up it goes away...except for some annoying vibration in the rear passenger door area!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Pro

Same thing is with my TL...nice to know that its not a PROBLEM :THUMBSUP: