Very dissapointed with my traction in the tl

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008 | 12:31 AM
NPB TL FTW

Very dissapointed with my traction in the tl

Its just pathetic in snow, and so very useless.. I CANT go thru anything over 4" of now, so that means in any snow storm, i cant drive thru shit.. the car would just sit there while i gave gas, and then with the traction controll off, i would just slide over the place(thats either the delears fault, or the tires just dont want to grip..

arg i dont even know what im typing im so gone.. now my car is parked at the back and i cant even see the tl.. and my alarm only gets installed tomorow morning
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:36 AM
Turd Polisher

Get some snow tires.

Also, the TL does a much better job in the snow VS RWD Sedans / Coupes ..
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:03 AM
NPB TL FTW

my tl is as bad as my friends SLAMMED 323

and the dealer said he put it some new eagle ultra's dont remember what kind ill check tomorow, but they are supposed to be good on the ice, and its bs, cause for abs to work nicely, you need nice ice tires
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:18 AM
RAR

find out who makes your tires, find a forum corresponding to those tires. go complain about how shitty your tires are in the snow over there.
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:21 AM
Unofficial Goat

Originally Posted by leedogg
find out who makes your tires, find a forum corresponding to those tires. go complain about how shitty your tires are in the snow over there.
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:35 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

First time I went through a hail storm in my TL-S (a few weeks ago) I almost lost it, and hit the guard rail...

I swear, it was a freak "out of nowhere" storm... lol
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:51 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

I agree the tl is fucking worthless in the snow if you don't have snow tires

If you get hit hard dude get some snow tires, all season just don't cut it if you get more than 4 inches on the regular
Old 02-02-2008 | 02:33 AM
RAR

Originally Posted by stillhere153

If you get hit hard dude get some snow tires, all season just don't cut it if you get more than 4 inches on the regular
It kills me. It's like somebody going to a race track, runs a couple laps in flip flops, and says the track sucks ass.
Old 02-02-2008 | 05:04 AM
Racer

I went with the 6MT in part to get the limited slip differential. Having both front tires spinning helps traction quite a bit, even with all-seasons. Sounds like you need snow tires or even studded snow tires if they're allowed in your state. Costs $$ but it beats crashing the car...
Old 02-02-2008 | 05:49 AM
Racer

@ProblemChild514 - Dude, the TL is great in the snow. Your problem is that you haven't put good tires on it. Either of the stock tires (Michelin or Bridgestone) absolutely suck in the snow as you discovered. Yeah, it sucks paying $30,000+ for the car and then having to cough up an additional $750-850 for new tires, but that's the way of things.

What to get? You don't need a dedicated snow tire unless you have disposible income to buy 4 new wheels, the 4 new snow tires, and 4 new "summer" tires to mount up to your stock wheels. I'd recommend Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires. Read that thread for my experiences with them in snow and slush. Additionally, they rock on dry pavement too give you a very quiet and smooth ride. You have other good choices as well in an "ultra high performance all season" tire.

I have two pieces of advice for you or anyone looking at replacement tires:

1) Pay extra to have whatever you get Road Force Balanced.
2) Avoid the Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tire like the plague. See that thread for my first and last experiences with that tire and also for more on road force balancing.
Old 02-02-2008 | 06:58 AM
J35A8

definitely get some snow tires for the winter.

Compared to other cars I've driven, this car is good in snow.
Try driving a 350z in 1/2" of snow then maybe you'll change your mind.
If you want to drive in 4" of snow, go buy a 4x4.
Old 02-02-2008 | 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

I'd have to say that 90% of the people on this forum would disagree with you. I am very pleased with my TL-S on snow and/or ice. If you have the Michelin MXM4's, get rid of them. They are a problem traction wise.
Don't know your location, but here in Ohio my Michelin Pilot A/S's perform well.
As others have said, if you are in a snowy area, get snow tires...that's why they are sold.
Good luck. Hopefully you'll fix the problem before an unfortunate crash. Might want to invest in a high performance driving course this spring. They teach you how you can have much more confidence and skill on snow and ice as well.
Old 02-02-2008 | 07:53 AM
Advanced

TL rocks in the snow.....when fitted with good snow tires. I have nasty looking studded snow tires on big ol black rims. Looks like shit but I have yet to get stuck. My commute lately has been snow packed icey road and the TL handles like a champ. If your running all-season in a snow climate your retarded.
Old 02-02-2008 | 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stillhere153

Anything short of AWD is worthless without snow tires if you live in an area that regularly get's snow.

OP, where are you from? It sounds like snow isn't a regular thing for you.

Also, how many miles are on the all seasons? You might get away with 1year on them, but forgetaboutit after that.

I've got a Honda Pilot with snows to handle the bad weather so I can't speak about the TL in the snow yet.
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I live in snow country .. driven all kinds of stuff for over 45 years and the TL would rank fair in 4" of snow. I came from an AWD car and live in snow/hill country and I put dedicated winters on it.

All Season Tires were obviously named "All Season " for marketing reasons and by someone who never lived in snow country or drove in snow. Gtanted they are better than dedicated summer performance tires with no sipe.

One of the biggest problems with people driving in snow is thier brain and thier right foot don't seem to be hooked together ..
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:29 AM
Cruisin'

Its not the TL's fault --Tires and Drivng style

Tires make or break a car in the snow. Get a set of Blizzaks and you'll never have a problem. Yesterday we got 8" and I shot out of the driveway with no problems. SUVs were all over the road but I was fine. I feel more comfortable driving my TL than my Landcruiser.

And accelerate slowly...
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:48 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I'm very disappointed in your assessment of a vehicle snow worthiness based upon your own inability to equip it for the conditions you place it in.

Do you see snow tires on F1 racers?
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:18 AM
Racer

we haven't had a real snow storm yet in NYC. So I am not sure about my TL-S. I never had a problem with the Honda Accord, So I think is should be fine.

I can agree with everyone else that dedicated snow tires make an unbelievalbe difference. I had Mustang GT which was absolutely scary in the snow. I mean if there was 1/2 an inch the car just sat there spinning the tires. Yes, I know all the tricks, start in 2nd just a little throttle, feathre the clutch... Nothing helped.

I got a set of Blizzaks and it was like a totally different car. NEVER had a problem after that. I still had to drive carefully, but the car behaved beautifully in the snow. Get snow tires you won't regret it.
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:25 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Hi

I live in Montreal and and last night we just got 25cm(~10'') of snow and I didn't have any problem with my TL. It's true that I have good winter tires.
Here in Quebec they are mondatory starting this year.

Cheers
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

to all answers given
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:43 AM
Racer

I was caught in the chicago snow fall the other day and the TL-S performed great. It's not the car. It's the tires and the driver.
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:22 PM
NPB TL FTW

i got these tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Ultra+Grip+GW3

maybe it was my mistake telling the dealer to put on "brand new winter tires", i should have just lowerd the cost of the car

im sure they were used for a few 1000 km
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:30 PM
Racer

I took my TL mud bogging the other day and got it stuck. This must mean that the TL is a piece of crap!
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:36 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

I was fine in the winter with the stock Bridgestones, until this winter, and that can be attributed to one thing, 31K miles of wear.
Old 02-02-2008 | 12:44 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

I'm going with the Yokahoma Avid H4s for my next purchase, ultra high performance all season is the way to go, it doesn't snow all that much, I think I have global warming to thank for that.
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:10 PM
Instructor

I have to agree with Darksky. I have Bridgestone Pole Positions on my 04 TL. I bought them a year ago. I haven't had any problems in the snow. The car feels pretty secure in the snow and the VSC rarely comes on. I live in the Cleveland aera and we have had our share of snow, but if I have to be somewhere and it is snowing I don't hestitate to take the TL. Other then having dedicated snow tires I think the Poles are a good choice. I was hesitant in buying the Bridgestones after the having the crappy EL42s on the car but after looking at the Tire Rack recommendiations I choose the Poles. Haven't been sorry yet.
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by korrupted
Try driving a 350z in 1/2" of snow then maybe you'll change your mind.
If you want to drive in 4" of snow, go buy a 4x4.
Oh please
A 350Z does not suck ni 1/2" of snow, unless you have summer tires on it... The stock tires on the TL just suck arse.

Last winter we had about 8" of snow, and my wife got stuck with the TL, wearing the stock tires, which had > half the tread left. When I finally got the TL back to our house, I couldn't even get it up our damn driveway.

My G35 Coupe, which was only wearing all season tires, did perfectly fine. I even managed to get it up our driveway without shovelnig the snow... With the TL, I had to shovel the snow first before I could get it up the driveway.

All my cars are now currently wearing Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS tires... It snowed about 6" a few weeks ago, and all my cars performed in the snow like a champ. I was even able to finally pull the TL into our garage up the inclined driveway without having to shovel the snow first...

If you think you need a 4x4 to drive in more than 4" of snow, then there's something wrong with the tires on your car.

And sometimes All/Season tires are necessary. If I add up all the days that it snows around here, it adds up to maybe 2 weeks out of the year. Hardly worth the effort to buy dedicated snow tires... However, if I add up all the days where the temps are in the 30s-40s or even lower 50s, it's quite a big chunk.... The stock summer tires that I had before, suck in those temps, and even tire rack says that "summer tires", are defined to be used in weather where the average ambient temps are > 60 degrees. So that means around here, I shouldn't be running summer tires in much of the fall until mid spring.
Old 02-02-2008 | 01:42 PM
Elegance

I find that the TL isn't all that great in the snow, but I have Pirelli's. I'm buying some aspec rims with 255" for the summer then I'm going to buy snow tires for my 17" rims. I can't justify getting rid of brand new 800 tires that look sweet on the car, so that's why I don't have snow tires on now.
Old 02-02-2008 | 02:45 PM
RAR

Originally Posted by lavo
I find that the Pirellis aren't all that great in the snow.

*fixed*. Damnit people, quit saying things that make you look ignorant.

To the OP, Good move on getting your own winters. Doing it yourself is always best. Never trust the dealer to do whats best for you. They do whats best for them, period.
Old 02-02-2008 | 03:28 PM
NPB TL FTW

the dealer didnt even put 235's, he put 225's, im sure that doesnt matter, but after checking the tires, it seems to be old tires, and has a buble on one of the tires.. any ways im gonna file a complaint with acura if they dont cover the tire under warranty
Old 02-02-2008 | 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProblemChild514
the dealer didnt even put 235's, he put 225's, im sure that doesnt matter, but after checking the tires, it seems to be old tires, and has a buble on one of the tires.. any ways im gonna file a complaint with acura if they dont cover the tire under warranty
That BS, mon. A bubble can blow out without any notice. You need to get this fixed ASAP. Bring in an attorney to meet the service mgr.!
Old 02-02-2008 | 04:50 PM
Racer

i got these tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Ultra+Grip+GW3

maybe it was my mistake telling the dealer to put on "brand new winter tires", i should have just lowerd the cost of the car

im sure they were used for a few 1000 km
The reviews on those tires are pretty good and with 225's instead of 235's they should be even better in the snow. It sounds like you have pretty good tires and the TL is just fine in the snow so I have to ask, have you driven a car with this much horsepower in the winter before?
Old 02-02-2008 | 04:57 PM
NPB TL FTW

yes my bros volvo, s60 non awd

The tires are clearly not brand new and im scared that there might not be anything i can do about it because he never wrote down any where that they were brand new, he only told me when we met..
Old 02-02-2008 | 05:18 PM
Racer

@PC514 - the dealer used 225/45-17 when stock is 235 and you suspect they are used tires?! Just go back and ask to speak with the manager, if you get no where with that, tell them you want to speak to the next higher manager or owner. This isn't a good business practice to say the least. Threaten to involve Acura USA. 225/45-17 is not OEM and will introduce ~2 % error in your speedo/odometer.

You are clearly in the driver's seat here.
Old 02-02-2008 | 06:04 PM
Elegance

Originally Posted by leedogg
*fixed*. Damnit people, quit saying things that make you look ignorant.

The Tl isn't all that great in the snow, I don't know if that's because Pirellis are bad or because the TL is bad. I never tried winter tires...yet, so I wouldn't know. You use the word ignorant as an insult, I think the use of the word is out of context.
Old 02-02-2008 | 06:44 PM
Racer

yes my bros volvo, s60 non awd

The tires are clearly not brand new and im scared that there might not be anything i can do about it because he never wrote down any where that they were brand new, he only told me when we met..
It sounds like you may have some old tires that have been sitting around for awhile. It is definitely time for an upgrade.
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

: I never tried winter tires...yet, so I wouldn't know. :
bingo....I think that's the point.....
Old 02-02-2008 | 09:51 PM
Intermediate

Traction

If you are going to live in snow country pop for the extra wheels and get real winter tires. The TL rocks with Blizzaks. Traction control on or off if you like to play.

Never compare all seasons as anything close to a snow tire.

Just a note from one of the old guys here.
Old 02-02-2008 | 11:07 PM
Cruisin'

Try some Nokian Hakkapeliita RSI's on your car. I was driving an IS300 and put on 4 of these about 6 weeks ago and the car was incredible in the snow.

Some guy decided not to stop at a stop sign and totaled the IS about 2 weeks ago. I'm now in an 04 TL 6psd and plan to get another pair.

Does anyone know if I can use the ones I already own (less than 500 miles on them) from the IS and put them on the TL? They were 215/45R/17s. I think they'll fit, but the TL's wheels (stock) look wider.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2008 | 04:22 AM
RAR

The Tl isn't all that great in the snow, I don't know if that's because Pirellis are bad or because the TL is bad. I never tried winter tires...yet, so I wouldn't know. You use the word ignorant as an insult, I think the use of the word is out of context.
The irony is killing me. Now you're being ignorant about the word ignorant. This:
I don't know if that's because Pirellis are bad or because the TL is bad. I never tried winter tires...yet, so I wouldn't know.
is ignorance.

Quick Reply: Very dissapointed with my traction in the tl