Verizon Bluetooth at last !

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004 | 08:27 PM
10th Gear

Wink Verizon Bluetooth at last !

Here it is! Lets hope it has the hands free profile. WWW.phonescoop.com
Old 02-13-2004 | 08:41 PM
never stops!

Good news! THanks for the link however the A Motorola spokesperson declined to comment. is not a good line. Dunno when they'll put this in distribution
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

I stopped by Verizon here in Houston yesterday to ask about Bluetooth and was told they did not have a product to support it yet.
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:20 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by jjsC5
I stopped by Verizon here in Houston yesterday to ask about Bluetooth and was told they did not have a product to support it yet.
If you click on the link and actually read it you will find that your comment is not relevant to the discussion.
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Steven
If you click on the link and actually read it you will find that your comment is not relevant to the discussion.
I clicked on the link. Then I re-read my own post. I think it's relevant.

I'm not sure how your comment about my comment is relevant.

Balls in your court.
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:48 PM
Advanced

Balls in your court.
NOT
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:29 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

jjsC5,

The FCC just approved the Motorola V710 yesterday (12-FEB-04), which is the first Verizon Bluetooth capable phone. Do you actually think they would be in the stores yet? It's liable to be a quite a few weeks (if not months) before it is available to customers. Motorola is not likely to have produced thousands of these phones prior to FCC approval, unless they are very stupid. If the FCC didn't approve the current design, they would have to modify (or possibly throw out) anything produced prior to approval.

I'm afraid Steven is right (although it could have been put a little more eloquently). This thread is talking about a product that we will hopefully see soon. Your posting tells us what we (and the salesman) already know - no Blutooth support from Verizon is available right now.

If Motorola decides not to produce the V710 (Motorola did decline to comment), it may be even longer before we see Bluetooth support on Verizon.

BTW, the Verizon salespeople aren't necessarily the best source of info anyways. I've talked with some Verizon salesfolks, and they thought that "Verizon supported Bluetooth" or "What is Bluetooth? Sounds funny!". Oh, well ...
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:37 PM
Instructor

Re: Verizon Bluetooth at last !

Originally posted by gserp4sox
Here it is! Lets hope it has the hands free profile. WWW.phonescoop.com
Great news, at least it is official. It is on its way to Verizon. I signed up with t-mobile strictly on the basis they have a one year agreement last month. Can't wait to switch over to verizon in jan. 2005.
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:44 PM
Advanced

GotJazz
Thank you for being eloquent.
Old 02-14-2004 | 07:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

[edited- with apologies to those who saw my earlier remark]

I have gone back and read the link again. Maybe I missed it (and I'm sure you'll tell me if I did), but I don't see anywhere in that link that the Motorola will be the FIRST bluetooth phone available at Verizon. It simply says that the V710 has been approved.

Based upon that, I would have no way of knowing that up until that time, no phone has been available on Verizon with Bluetooth. In fact, on another "sticky" thread on this forum, I actually had someone respond to a post of mine that I needed to switch to Verizon to get what I wanted. That is why I went to Verizon and inquired about it, assuming that there already was a Bluetooth product available from them.

I think my post above was relevent to let anyone else know what I was told, and to allow other input as to the availability of Bluetooth from Verizon.

Perhaps people like you already know all the answers, but some people may not. That is the benefit to sharing information on forums.
Old 02-14-2004 | 08:56 AM
Racer

jjsC5, who is your current cellular provider?
Old 02-14-2004 | 09:12 AM
3rd Gear

We'll see the V710 and several other bluetooth phones for CDMA networks (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Bell Mobility, Telus, etc) at the CTIA event next month in Atlanta (link below).

My understanding is that Qualcomm now has full support for the HF profile in MSM6xxx chipsets and software now being integrated into Motorola, Samsung and LG phones (and others). BT costs have dropped sufficiently and there are more applications available to make the additional cost acceptable to produce in mass.

Love my TL!

http://www.ctiawireless2004.com/general/
Old 02-14-2004 | 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by UminChu
jjsC5, who is your current cellular provider?
Cingular - I will probably be changing in the next several weeks due to the fact that Cingular has lousy reception at my house (I live in a Houston Suburb).

I welcome any recommendations. I checked AT&T the other day. They have three bluetooth phones, but their national network has limitations for Bluetooth compatible phones. It is not as widespread as their "digital" network.
Old 02-14-2004 | 11:01 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

jjsC5,

My apologies for being gruff, if I came across that way. I noticed this morning that as of 14-FEB-04 you only have 6 postings, so you are likely to be a noobie - unless you've been lurking for a while.

The lack of Verizon Bluetooth support has been a constant gripe by many on this board, and usually comes up on a thread once a week or so. That's why I mentioned that your posting was something "we (and the salesman) already know".

To give you a less surly response and actually point you towards some more useful information, Check this thread out: I've got a Verizon Bluetooth Phone

As you can see, some Verizon-owned folks here are desperate enough to have purchased a Sony Ericsson T608 phone from Sprint and modified it to be usable on Verizon with some success. I may do it myself, just because it would be fun.

Oh, and Steven - thanks for "cleaning up" your response to my response ... I wasn't too happy I supported you after seeing that!

BTW, someday this ¿GotJazz? character is gonna learn not to get on this board after having a few Happy Hour beers ... He usually needs to do damage control the day afterwards for what he posted the night before! :smackhead
Old 02-14-2004 | 11:49 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by ¿GotJazz?
jjsC5,

The FCC just approved the Motorola V710 yesterday (12-FEB-04), which is the first Verizon Bluetooth capable phone. Do you actually think they would be in the stores yet? It's liable to be a quite a few weeks (if not months) before it is available to customers. Motorola is not likely to have produced thousands of these phones prior to FCC approval, unless they are very stupid. If the FCC didn't approve the current design, they would have to modify (or possibly throw out) anything produced prior to approval.

I'm afraid Steven is right (although it could have been put a little more eloquently). This thread is talking about a product that we will hopefully see soon. Your posting tells us what we (and the salesman) already know - no Blutooth support from Verizon is available right now.

If Motorola decides not to produce the V710 (Motorola did decline to comment), it may be even longer before we see Bluetooth support on Verizon.

BTW, the Verizon salespeople aren't necessarily the best source of info anyways. I've talked with some Verizon salesfolks, and they thought that "Verizon supported Bluetooth" or "What is Bluetooth? Sounds funny!". Oh, well ...
\

You are overwhelming us with something seldom seen on these forums...LOGIC! No need to appologize for that...its a beautiful thing.
Old 02-14-2004 | 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

GotJazz- thanks for the apology and explanation. Yes, I've been on this forum about three weeks (or less). I have a G35, and while I'm generally happy with it, I've always been a Honda/Acura fan (have owned many).

Because the G is just a work commuter car for me, with some business use, the Bluetooth, Stereo, and what I think may be a somewhat more comfortable car for me (I don't car much for the G's seats), have me thinking about the TL. I don't keep cars long (I've owned 45), and I'm always looking into what to buy next.

As you can imagine, the "crash course" I've taken looking into Bluetooth has turned up some dissapointing realities at this time. But I applaud Acura for taking the lead - especially in an "affordable" car. Cell phone and car manufacturers have really needed this kind of standardized interface. And I'm sure in the next year or so, our options will get much better.
Old 02-14-2004 | 12:39 PM
Drifting

I don't keep cars long (I've owned 45),
Good Lord, I don't think I've owned that many pair of underwear in my life.

... there I go thinking out loud again.
Old 02-14-2004 | 02:55 PM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

Originally posted by Rocketsfan

Roger that!
Old 02-14-2004 | 03:58 PM
7th Gear

Verizon Bluetooth 2ND Qtr 2004

I got the following from Verizon Wireless. It is a response to my inquiry about Bluetooth phones.

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

We appreciate your interest in the incorporation of Bluetooth
Technology with Verizon Wireless services. At this time we do not offer
products to support this technology. However, our Research and
Development Team has been studying the ability to incorporate Bluetooth
technology with our products and services.

Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and
wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

I can confirm that we will be offering Bluetooth equipment, and we are
hoping to release the equipment during the second quarter of 2004. At
present, there are several wireless phones being tested for
functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will
not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our
customers have come to expect. Currently, we are unable to
provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or
specific
release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and
services, please click on "E-mail Updates" from the "Support" tab
located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com home page.

We appreciate your business. Please contact us at our website for any
of your future needs. Again, thank you for using Verizon Wireless
products and services.

Sincerely,

Eva
Verizon Wireless Customer Service

"We never stop working for you!"

The above response is subject to the terms of your Service Agreement
and calling plan, which apply to all lines on your account. Please read
those materials for full details. Our liability is
limited. In the event of a conflict between this response and the
terms of your Service Agreement and calling plan, the terms of your Service
Agreement and calling plan will govern. Verizon
Wireless's calling plans, rate areas, rates, agreement provisions,
business practices, procedures and policies are subject to change as
specified in the Service Agreement.
Old 02-14-2004 | 05:01 PM
Advanced

I got this from verizon Philly

I got this from verizon Philly. It's the exact same message with the exception of confirming bluetooth availability in Q2.

Dear Verizon Wireless Customer,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website.

We appreciate your interest in the latest technology in wireless phones.

We appreciate your interest in the incorporation of Bluetooth Technology with Verizon Wireless services. At this time we do not offer products to support this technology. However, our Research and
Development Team has been studying the ability to incorporate Bluetooth technology with our products and services.

Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

At present, there are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards
our customers have come to expect. Currently, we are unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or approximate
release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

If you would like to receive e-mail updates regarding new products and services, please click on "E-mail Updates" from the "Support" tab located at the top of our www.verizonwireless.com home page.

As part of our Worry Free Guarantee your satisfaction is guaranteed on any equipment you purchase from us. Please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Craig
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service
Old 02-14-2004 | 06:31 PM
rarely registered user

I've been SO happy with my Verizon service. Thank goodness we have a light at the end of the tunnel for bluetooth. I guess I'll give them until the end of summer. If they don't pony up a bluetooth phone by then, I'm jumping ship (regardless of the flawless coverage I've experienced with them).
Old 02-14-2004 | 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Rocketsfan

That's okay - cars are more important than underwear!
Old 02-14-2004 | 10:06 PM
Racer

Great news indeed....although I'll have only had my LG VX4000 for about a year by this summer. Guess I'll have to try and convince them to let me trade it in early
Old 02-15-2004 | 02:01 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Re: Verizon Bluetooth 2ND Qtr 2004

Originally posted by atom_smasher
... Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect ...
HahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHa hahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHaha hahahahahahaHahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahaha!

I think the main reason the Verizon dude keeps saying "Can you hear me now?" in the commercials is because he's standing in my front yard. I can't even use my cell phone at my home.

I haven't found a cellular service in the US that has the continuity/clarity of coverage that I saw in Europe. THAT'S the high standard I've come to expect!

At least with the new FCC "portable number" ruling, I'll be able to try other providers to find a cell phone I can use at home when my current contract expires.
Old 02-15-2004 | 07:22 AM
Senior Moderator

It's nice to finally have confirmatory emails from Verizon. As I said in another thread.....this will make me give up my old, warhorse StarTAC 7868, the best cell phone I've ever owned. Motorola may suck at making G4s for my Macs, but they make great phones!
Old 02-15-2004 | 07:27 AM
Pro

Originally posted by marquis
Great news indeed....although I'll have only had my LG VX4000 for about a year by this summer. Guess I'll have to try and convince them to let me trade it in early
You don't have to convince them of anything. You can buy a new phone to replace your 4400 at any time. It doesn't matter how long you've been with them. Trust me, when the 710 finally comes out, it will be in the $200-300 range for new and existing subscribers alike. The "get new every two" would maybe get you $30 off that phone, so don't worry about.

You WILL have to shell out significant amount of money to get that phone regardless of your situation.
Old 02-15-2004 | 08:37 AM
Racer

Um, "new every two" get you $100 for the trade in towards the cost of the new phone. I did it last year when I traded in my dying star tac for the VX4000.

But, yes, the StarTac was the best phone I've owned so far, I think. The VX4000 has some nice bells and whistles, but overall I think I liked the StarTac better.
Old 02-15-2004 | 06:28 PM
Pro

Originally posted by marquis
Um, "new every two" get you $100 for the trade in towards the cost of the new phone.
A $100? That's not bad at all! I must've confused this program with AT&T's one, where they have a certain set of free phones that you can "upgrade" to, or get something like $30 credited towards a more expensive phone.