Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vent

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vent

Hi. I am wonder if this is normal for TL owners. When I turn on the heat to blow toward the floor, some warm air comes from both the corner vents. Is this normal? I am reading the manual and it states "Some air will flow from the dashboard vents in all modes"

Since winter is approaching, I am trying to keep my feet warm, but then this rush of heat (at maximum setting) comes up on my face when I select the floor mode.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueTypeSGuy
Hi. I am wonder if this is normal for TL owners. When I turn on the heat to blow toward the floor, some warm air comes from both the corner vents. Is this normal? I am reading the manual and it states "Some air will flow from the dashboard vents in all modes"

Since winter is approaching, I am trying to keep my feet warm, but then this rush of heat (at maximum setting) comes up on my face when I select the floor mode.

Its normal.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Pro

I've noticed this too, but even more strange today I had the heat on about 76, floor & dash setting on the lowest fan speed. Maybe after 10 minutes of it being on, out of no where I got this very high blast of air (as in a higher fan speed, not any difference in temperature). It was strange and lasted a minute or two, I messed around with the fan speed - turned it up a few notches, then back down. Then it went away. I was just hoping I wasn't finding out about some weird wire short before winter
Old 11-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Simply reduce the flow or close the front side vents completely. End of problem. As for vent flow, you can direct all to the floor, some to the floor and some to the center vents, or some to the floor and some to the defoster vents (good for rainy days).

My assumption in all of the above is using the manual mode, not AUTO.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced

I cannot direct all the air to the floor. There's still some coming from the corner vents. It's a hassle to first warm up my feet by shutting off the corner vent, then switch to the dash vents and open them to warm up my body.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I think all Honda's do that. My Pilot does it too and all we do is close off the flow to the side vents
Old 11-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Advanced

Okay, good. I am just double-checking.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Here is the problem. You have NO VENT next to your feet !!!!

The closet there is... is pointing to the passengers in the rear.

Follow the red line . See the vent under your seat. Yep, there goes your hot air...striaght under your seat and heading to the rear. But, notice the routing of the ducts indicated by the red line coming from under the dash.

Here is the solution. I removed the oem duct (the red line) and allow the source to dump where needed. My feet and legs stay toasty.

Getting closer,,,,

Getting closer....

Bingo... Mega Duct !!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I think all cars do that
Old 11-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Gee, maybe my '04 manual TL (with NAV) is different than all of yours because I have no such problems at all with my car.

The front side (corner) vents can be completely closed, completely opened, or anything in between. The air temperature coming from them in the colder months, after driving a bit, is significantly cooler than that which comes from the front floor vents and this is deliberate to keep the front side glass from breaking. I shut my front side vents completely off in the colder months.

As for front floor vents, my TL not only has them, but they work just fine, keeping my feet and legs nice and warm. My usual setting is "dash and floor" in the colder months and I never use AUTO.. always the MANUAL mode of operation. In this mode, expect the dash vents to blow a little cooler air than the floor vents and this is also deliberate. It helps to keep the driver more alert and less sleepy.

Now a little tip for those times when you get some rain in the cooler months. You do not need to use your DEFROST button as that will engage the A/C which is usually also not needed in the cooler months for defrosting. In fact, prolonged use in this mode will cause interior fogging on side and rear windows. Instead, use the MANUAL mode and "floor and defrost" for your flow. You'd be surprised how well this works.

All in all, the HVAC system on my TL works probably better than any other car I've owned. Study your owner's manual and experiment a little. I does what it is designed to do.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Here is the problem. You have NO VENT next to your feet !!!!

The closet there is... is pointing to the passengers in the rear.

Follow the red line . See the vent under your seat. Yep, there goes your hot air...striaght under your seat and heading to the rear. But, notice the routing of the ducts indicated by the red line coming from under the dash.

Here is the solution. I removed the oem duct (the red line) and allow the source to dump where needed. My feet and legs stay toasty.

Getting closer,,,,

Getting closer....

Bingo... Mega Duct !!

Thanks a lot for the pics ... no wonder they say a picture worth a thousand words ... LOL
Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

To Inaccurate;

While it's true that "You have NO VENT next to your feet", I am not surprised.

What you DO have are vents ABOVE your feet, driver's and passenger's side.. at least my '04 manual and my '05 automatic do. I can put my fingers in them. And they work just fine, blowing warm air down on my (our) feet. I never have any problems getting warm air where I want it in my cabins.