3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT battery help needed (with Optima battery info) 3G Garage #A-089

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using an Optima Yellow Top D35 purchased from Costco after the OEM battery died within 3 months. Dealer made a warranty claim and re-imbursed me in full when I showed him the receipt. The D35 fits and may save you some weight over the OEM battery
Old 10-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised my thread is still around. I'm so disturbed about Acura cheap-ass OEM batteries that I'm thinking about changing out the one in my new RL now for a red-top Optima battery.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
DER NEUE ^

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Yes Red top seems to be the best choice whether it's 34/78 or 34/R. It has the best specs and warranty out of all Optima batteries, 800 CCA/1000 CA and 3+ years warranty!!!
Blue top has 1.5 year warranty and
Yellow top has only 1 year warranty

My OEM Delco battery is still strong after 3 years though but when it finally goes I'm going to get my Red top from Costco, can't wait!

Did anyone get one of those small light weight racing batteries like BuddyClub racing, about 16lb light and good crank specs too for their size and weight? I wonder how reliable are those? Something to consider for weight saving enthusiasts.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:37 PM
05 TL

Originally Posted by Kracker
I just installed a 34R Optima battery.

I just had to move the battery a tad more toward the ground to make it reach.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

FYI I was looking at my receipt and I paid 130.99 from summit. Kinda sucks that they are trying to get 179.95 for it now.. It also had free shipping... Dont know if that changed.

But I couldn't be happier, it took all of 5 min to install and there were no modifications needed to make it work...
Old 02-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
The yellow top has less CCA than the Red Top. For automotive use the RED top is still better. Yellow top if you have big stereo equipment.

The RED is only around $120-130 at O'Reileys or Advance Autoparts. It also comes with a 3 year full replacement warranty and something like 7-8 year prorated. It has the best warranty in the market and will out last a plain old Die Hard even in the Summer heat of Arizona.
Sorry to bring this up from the less worthy, but this person sounds like an encyclopedia of batteries.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
In my opinion, Optima batteries fare fairly poorly on a cost/performance ratio. Most premium batteries will last three to five years under most climates. One is better off purchasing a less expensive battery, but a battery with a three-year free replacement warranty, and replacing it every three to five years before it fails.

The TL takes either size 35 or 24F. The Duralast Gold battery from AutoZone runs $70 and has 640CCA for the 35 size, or 750CCA for the 24F size. Costco also sells a battery for the TL under the Kirkland Signature brand with a three-year free replacement. They only sell the 35 equivalent though (Fitment Group #3), which only has 640CCA, but they also charge a few bucks less compared to AutoZone.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:16 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Just got my typical 2.5 years/30,000 miles out of the OEM battery. Mine tested bad after one slow crank, that's enough for me. Replaced with Die Hard Gold for ~$100. Has 3 year free replacement and 100 month warranty. I think I'm done buying batteries for the TL.

I have learned over the years to buy things with long warranties from places that are likely to still be in business when I need them again. Hope Sears continues to make the cut.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 AM
05 TL

Originally Posted by MR1
Just got my typical 2.5 years/30,000 miles out of the OEM battery. Mine tested bad after one slow crank, that's enough for me. Replaced with Die Hard Gold for ~$100. Has 3 year free replacement and 100 month warranty. I think I'm done buying batteries for the TL.

I have learned over the years to buy things with long warranties from places that are likely to still be in business when I need them again. Hope Sears continues to make the cut.
Sears?... Umm I think I would go with autozone...

Every time I walk into Sears, I feel like I'm walking into a place thats having a going out of business sale...

Maybe its just San Antonio.

But in regards to Optima Batteries. I had an engine fire in my Eagle Talon, and it cooked everything under the hood, spark plug wires turned to dust... It was hot.

After the firefighters put everthing out I pressed unlock and the melted deformed battery unlocked the door.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:53 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr
In my opinion, Optima batteries fare fairly poorly on a cost/performance ratio. Most premium batteries will last three to five years under most climates. One is better off purchasing a less expensive battery, but a battery with a three-year free replacement warranty, and replacing it every three to five years before it fails.

The TL takes either size 35 or 24F. The Duralast Gold battery from AutoZone runs $70 and has 640CCA for the 35 size, or 750CCA for the 24F size. Costco also sells a battery for the TL under the Kirkland Signature brand with a three-year free replacement. They only sell the 35 equivalent though (Fitment Group #3), which only has 640CCA, but they also charge a few bucks less compared to AutoZone.
Oh I dont know about that. If you figure its about $25/year then you're getting what you pay for. Besides, you arent thinking about how much you saved 3 years from now when you need to rush to the airport and your battery decides to kick it because you forgot to replace it. Batteries are one of those things you dont go cheap on.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:53 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Sears?... Umm I think I would go with autozone...

Every time I walk into Sears, I feel like I'm walking into a place thats having a going out of business sale...

Maybe its just San Antonio.

But in regards to Optima Batteries. I had an engine fire in my Eagle Talon, and it cooked everything under the hood, spark plug wires turned to dust... It was hot.

After the firefighters put everthing out I pressed unlock and the melted deformed battery unlocked the door.
Old habits die hard (pun intended).
I've been buying Sears batteries for 40+ years.
About the only things I trust them for these days is auto batteries, appliances and Craftsman tools. I think it will take KMart at least three more years to screw them up. I've seen way to many places like AutoZone and tire stores disappear over the years. Kind of a shame. Might have to start going to Walmart.

I'm past wanting to install anything, even a battery. Sears hooked up a trickle charger that maintained my settings but I still had to put in the codes for the navi and radio.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I like Optima batteries. Have one on the Mustang that won't die regardless of how long I wait between starts, how much drain is on it, etc.

As for the TL, I've passed the 3 year mark (well the car is over 3 years old, sat on the lot for a while) and almost 60k, no problems with the battery.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Airline jet aircraft tech

MY 06 OEM battery started leaking at 17k mi at the top cover seam. The battery tray which is only 1/2" deep on the right side of the battery did not contain all the leaking acid. I had to neutralize & clean the tray support and all the areas below it. Ran to Summit and got a Optima 34R for $180.00. It fits perfectly without mod. I went to Baranco Acura and showed the Service Manager what happened. They gave me the cash value of a new Acura battery and documented it so if I discover acid corrosion from this event later on they will repair. The manager told me that I will not be warranteed for battery failure from here on. I laughed and asked if why didn't Acura design a plastic battery tray deep enough all the way around that would have contained a battery leak? At least my 99 Odyssey has a tray that would have prevented the spill over.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SodaLuvr

There are other things you need to look at as well, not just cost. Some choose to move the battery to the trunk, which is not a good idea with a standard lead acid battery. Also, the optima’s can be mounted in any direction.

You can also put a bullet through an optima and it will still start your car, can do that with a standard battery. Yes, that is an extreme case, but do you realize how much vibration a battery is subject to? I worked in car stereo for 9 years, we used the red tops for 2 years on our display boards, I then put the battery in my truck. It lasted another 2 years. Those 2 years on the boards where extreme abuse, on 11 hours a day!! They are tough batteries and well worth the money to me. I have had too many problems with standard batteries.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Racer

anyone in So-cal needing a optima I can hook it up for $155 brand new yellow top
Old 06-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
It's near battery time (45,000 miles on 04) and was thinking about the redtop. Seeing fitment issues raised here I went to Optima's website and did a search. They don't show any battery fitment for 3g See?

So which model # do they have that will fit?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I going to purchase the Optima Red top 34/78 soon. I'll let you know.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
05 TL

FYI I was looking at my receipt and I paid 130.99 from summit. Kinda sucks that they are trying to get 179.95 for it now.. It also had free shipping... Dont know if that changed.

But I couldn't be happier, it took all of 5 min to install and there were no modifications needed to make it work...
Mine fit...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 06-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

get the red top battery it's running my supercharger and the system 2 12' mtx 7500 subs focals mids and highs
~Jason
Old 08-14-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm your Huckleberry

My OEM quit yesterday after 2yrs and 33000 miles. We've had quite a few 100 degree days lately, but all was well until we got home from a road trip. It started but had to try twice. It started again this morning, but again I had to crank twice. Took it to the dealer, the service writer said he'd replaced several batteries lately because of the heat.

I mentioned the indicator on the battery was black. He said, "Those are a joke. They only show the condition of one cell." Anyway, he said these batteries have a 3 yr warranty. Replaced at no charge. He said the replacement battery also has a 3 yr warranty.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:03 PM
05 TL

34R fit without any modifications.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts

34R fit without any modifications.
Is there a difference in the 34 and 34R? I could only find the 34 at Summit and according to Optima's website they have the same specs. I'm assuming they're the same thing.

I've had mixed experience with the Optimas. It seems hit or miss. I had two Red tops fail on me in 6 months. The last one has been going for over 3 years and recently the car sat for a year (with the battery disconnected) and started without charging. My car makes an obsene about of heat and vibration underhood. My dad's yellowtop mounted in the trunk on the same type of car failed in a couple months and due to my experience he switched to a Sears Die Hard and it's been fine for a few years.

My factory battery is leaking, cranking is getting slower, and it has at most a 5 min reserve with the key on and stereo at low volume. I think it's time to get it replaced. Sucks though, the car is an 06 with 47,000 miles.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Ryan Christopher

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Is there a difference in the 34 and 34R? I could only find the 34 at Summit and according to Optima's website they have the same specs. I'm assuming they're the same thing.

I've had mixed experience with the Optimas. It seems hit or miss. I had two Red tops fail on me in 6 months. The last one has been going for over 3 years and recently the car sat for a year (with the battery disconnected) and started without charging. My car makes an obsene about of heat and vibration underhood. My dad's yellowtop mounted in the trunk on the same type of car failed in a couple months and due to my experience he switched to a Sears Die Hard and it's been fine for a few years.

My factory battery is leaking, cranking is getting slower, and it has at most a 5 min reserve with the key on and stereo at low volume. I think it's time to get it replaced. Sucks though, the car is an 06 with 47,000 miles.
You may try the dealer first. It is possible that they will cover the battery. I had mine go out with 20k miles on it. Apparently there was a problem with the OEM batteries. Jason
Old 08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
05 TL

I think the difference between 34 and 34R are which side the positive and negative are on.

I linked to the 34R.. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Black_05, I agree with you... I had a red top go bad in a Saturn, Advanced Auto parts said it was good and so did AutoZone. A mom and pop shop tested it with their snapon tool. Said it was bad. 2 min later Advanced replaced it...

I guess this might be a drawback with summit, but I couldnt find a 34R anywhere.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
You may try the dealer first. It is possible that they will cover the battery. I had mine go out with 20k miles on it. Apparently there was a problem with the OEM batteries. Jason
I was going to try that route but with my experience, I will never leave the car at a dealership unless it's something major covered by warranty like the transmission. I would love to have them cover the cost or part of the cost but they would just mess something up and end up costing me in the end.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:59 PM
05 TL

I heard where the dealer will reimburse you for buying a battery... At least the cost of their battery. This might work better if you found one out of town on a weekend. "I had no choice, I was out of town and my car wouldn't start"

Yeah, I hate the dealer too.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just curious it mentions the weight of the battery on the website, but what is the weight of the stock battery?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
The oem battery (and plastic tray liner) weighs 39 lbs. If you want a lightweight battery, the Braille weighs 11.5 lbs. The difference is 27.5 lbs saved. I purchased the battery directly from the mfg, www.brailleauto.com. The price was $179. I have used this little Braille battery for the past 6 months, and had ZERO problems - - - Starts first time, every time.

[/
Old 08-23-2007, 10:23 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
that battery is uhhh cute LOL
Old 08-24-2007, 03:51 PM

Yeah I'm looking to get a smaller sized battery, to shed a few front end pounds, around 10lbs less is what I'm looking for really. So when I look for a battery I should look for something with at least 550CCA, is there anything else I should consider to make sure it's compatible with our car?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:40 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i just mounted a red top 34/78. advance auto has them for 169.99 and pep boys sells them for 159.99. advance auto says they do carry the 34R but nobody has them in stock. sears stopped carrying optima a little while ago. if u can find one or are ordering one, get the 34R which fits better with the stock battery hold down piece.

the 34/78 fits good enough. i had to loosen the negative terminal wire bolt on the car frame and adjust the position. kinda hard to describe (but really easy to see), but there is a little hook on the neg battery terminal wire mounting unit which inserts a few mm into the frame of the car for a grounding point. i just turned that a few mm in the hole in the frame to the other side and was able to stretch it so that it could mount onto the negative terminal on the battery. i just mounted the battery tie-down crooked and tightened it down so the metal piece is not touching the negative terminal.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I replaced mine with one from Kinetik. It is 1800cca's. Dropped right in with minor mods. If you have a heavy load on your electrical system I highly suggest looking at them.

K
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Ryan Christopher

OK!!! I had my second Honda Battery Die on me last night!!! Thats 2 batteries in 2 1/2 years! Took it by the dealer this morning and they put another in at no charge. I am going on vacation tomorrow and didn't want to deal with buying one before we went. But I will be looking at changing to something other then the factory 100 month battery!! What a piece of junk. Thank God I drive a stick or I would have been stranded.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:21 PM

Yeah some people have had bad experiences with the TL battery, if you don't drive many miles your battery will die out quickly.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

My bor's 07 Tl battery was dead from the dealer LOL ( he just bought it 1 month ago) so the sales guy swapped it out with a 08 type s while we where doing the paper work. (the type s batteries adds 10hp )
Old 11-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by n00blike
My bor's 07 Tl battery was dead from the dealer LOL ( he just bought it 1 month ago) so the sales guy swapped it out with a 08 type s while we where doing the paper work. (the type s batteries adds 10hp )
Is this true?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Instructor

how long can you listen to the radio at volume 6 with a stock OEM battery with the engine off? The reason i ask is because my 07 TLS battery can't last more then 10 mins...then it is dead! Also the green indicator doesnt light up on the battery.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 AM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't understand why there are so many problems with the Acura battery. I still have my stock one, and I have over 57k. I play my radio with the engine off everytime I wash my car with no problems (knock on wood).
Old 11-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Instructor

big capacity battery

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I don't understand why there are so many problems with the Acura battery. I still have my stock one, and I have over 57k. I play my radio with the engine off everytime I wash my car with no problems (knock on wood).
I dont know either, my car is brand new and the batt is already dead....I had to jump it twice! I'm going to get it replaced at the dealer and then im going to sell the new stock one and buy an aftermarket battery that can let me listen to the radio for long periods of time...like at least an hour or 2!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
I was in the exact same boat as you. My battery was great, could listen to radio for like 20-30 minutes and it would still start up fine. Until today, it decided to just die on me, completely. I tried jumpstarting it twice, sh!t wont start. Now no car for probably a week

Does anyone know the difference between a Redtop 34R 8003-151 and 34R 9003-151?? Amazon sells the 8003 for $13 cheaper than Summit which sells the 9003. Is it just a newer model? Worth the $13?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Answering my own question, it just comes in a different box.

Quick Reply: URGENT battery help needed (with Optima battery info) 3G Garage #A-089