Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Umm....curse continues? Part 6 !!! BLACKURA IS NO MORE

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
CleanCL. i may take you up on your offer. i was thinking of having her towed to my house to remove the rest of the parts. its a salvage yard now. the car is completely undriveable....

i still have to pull the alarm and the exhaust. the coilovers i dont think i will be able to get, because you need an impact gun and probably a spring compressor to get the OEM suspension on. PM me if you can and we'll talk.
i have a cordless impact gun too. spring compressor you can get at autozone/pepboys for pretty cheap, we can pull the exhaust and suspension pretty fast, no need to put everything back together properly.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Blackura hope all turns out well. While you can't replace the time and energy you put into your car, you can find another car you'll love to to work on just as much. Hopefully an '07 or '08 TL-S.

Timmah, sorry, but you are TOTALLY missing the point Excelerate and KN_TL are trying to make. They are saying the DRIVER has a learning curve (i.e. different brake force feel/application) with the BBK - not that the ABS has a learning curve.

I understand your question regards the Rotora "integration" with the programmed TL ABS response, but you have ZERO evidence one way or the other regarding what R&D Rotora did (or didn't do) when developing these brakes for the TL.
Thank you.

If I didn't change my driving style based on the car I am in, I would either be rear ended for stopping so quickly or overshooting my turns and stops all the time....

I said nothing about an ABS learning curve. I actually think the factory subsystem is to blame based on the problems he had after two weeks off the dealers lot.

Timmah, what's you explanation for ACCURATEin and others who are running this BBK with no issues?

Sorry going off topic with this, it'll be the last time I get into this discussion other than how Blackura makes out with getting a new ride.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
CleanCL. i may take you up on your offer. i was thinking of having her towed to my house to remove the rest of the parts. its a salvage yard now. the car is completely undriveable....

i still have to pull the alarm and the exhaust. the coilovers i dont think i will be able to get, because you need an impact gun and probably a spring compressor to get the OEM suspension on. PM me if you can and we'll talk.
You can get the unit out in one piece, but if you reused your hats, then you'll need a spring compressor.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since you are pulling parts off the car, do you think you could pull your XM brain from the trunk for me?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
KN_TL and Bearcat94... Check your inbox please
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...What happened!!! I was hoping you'd help me with my dispute with Rosenthal! Thanks for the response though. And I'm sorry to see the legend in such a shape. Hope you're coping with it well.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Safety Car

as long as ur ok man get ur dough from ur insurance n get the 09 model =)
Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 AM
EBAYGEEK

BLACKURA pm SENT
Old 07-28-2007, 03:46 PM
The Darker the berry....

As usual - I'm late to the party but I just wanted to say that I was sorry to hear of your accident. As everyone else said, glad you and the gf are OK.
Maybe I missed the post where you mentioned it, but where did this accident occur? I get the feeling that it happened on the SSP somewhere.
When I first got my 06 (black, btw) in Nov, I got into a stupid race with an Audi A4 and nearly cracked up on the LIE - the car really surprised me with the power and handling - I guess that's why I pulled out of it OK, but since then I really take it easy - life is too precious.

Take care - get another one, just not black - I'm on my 3rd black car and I don't know why I did it again.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:14 PM
hates the winter

Is it possible to put the 6MT brakes on the AT?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisQ1980
Is it possible to put the 6MT brakes on the AT?
yes, but would require alot of work.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
yea alot of work. knuckles and all have to be changed
Old 07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I have car ADD

ya know, with everything said and done, im glad to be OK. and will get a new car soon...

but what really gets under my skin is that i spent $2000 for brakes & $1000 in body work (see other thread) like 4 days before the car got wrecked. what a f$#king waste of money!!!

now... what to do about my vanity plates?? lol
Old 07-29-2007, 12:02 AM
06 black bullet

hey bro i can buy u exhaust, letme know
Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 AM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL you could always try a really really heartfelt SOB story at the DMV, and see what options you get...LOL otherwise you could just buy another Black Acura.....but that's taboo LOL....

though i still think a TLS is the answer for you.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Wow... Allon I am so sorry for the loss.

1. Thank God you're alive though man.
2. I really loved the car at HIN man, I guess time to move on?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:48 AM
Air Vice Marshal

Received 300 Likes on 155 Posts
While everyone has been talking about the ABS, I'm wondering about the problem getting the old rotor off, and the fact that there were signs of excess heat just hours before the wreck.

Sounds like a totally non-ABS issue. If there were signs of heat damage on one side before the new brakes were even installed, I'm wondering if there could be a problem with the breaking system not releasing pressure to that wheel. Master cylinder? Something in the ABS unit's pressure regulators?

Or, perhaps not the brakes. Maybe a bearing failing? They can generate a lot of heat, and that could also be consistant with noise and vibration, possible even locking up the axle.

I'm very happy that no one was hurt.

Keep us posted, please. I'm curious to find out if anyone investigates to find the cause, or just writes it off.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

I had this happen to me when my son was one, he turned 19 today. (He is driving the 05 TL my wife broke in, he is a happy camper). When it happened to me it was the result of brake line failure. Something broke free in the line and caused line blockage. Fortunately, were stopped when they locked up but it was at rush hour and we were on a major road. Trying to get the car out of the road I about burned off the rear tires. This could have been caused by a small piece of gasket material breaking free in the master cylinder and lodging in the brake line. This would be my guess, as the master cylinder has been replaced twice. As I don't know the direction of the curve or the direction you were traveling I can't make any further assessment of the accident. Were there skid marks from both wheels or just one? This would help isolate where in the brake system failed. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 AM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i'm late to this thread too but this sucks, even more x100 with all of the work u put into the car. just want to say that josh's opinion is biased, but that's only because he is a vendor and does installations. in reality, he knows more about these bbk's than anyone on this board. it really sounds like the installation went fine but there was already an existing problem with the car which got worse once the bbk went on.

if u heard a whirring type sound when u were driving, that's the pads lightly rubbing up against the rotor but not with enough pressure to slow the car down.

keep your blackura plates, i've seen a guy driving a 7 series with a "CLS55" plate so how bad could it be driving a diferent colored acura LOL.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Let's Go Pens

Allon,

Any more news? I was just wondering if was def totalled out by insurance and what your plans on for a new ride
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM
I have car ADD

no updates yet.. but... there was a TSB released by Acura on July 31st regarding a fault VSA module, that causes air to get in the brake lines.... most likely the cause of my problem.

I had been to Acura several times over the past year complaining about the brakes. They changed the Master twice, the ABS unit once and the VSA unit once. However, they replaced the VSA unit (April 06) with the same part #, which was the defective VSA module.

Basically, we all know the VSA takes over when the car is losing control and controls the throttle & brakes. So when i pressed the brakes, and they locked, the VSA must have taken over and some how forced air into the brake lines.

Now, basically I am screwed. This would be a great case against Acura, has the car had a defect from the day i purchased it (it came BRAND NEW with a dead master cylinder)

Obviously, they wont take responsiblity, since i changed the brakes to Aftermarket. Rotora, has no liability in this issue, as hundreds of others have this kit on their TL. And Josh did the install 110%, so hes not at fault either.... Bascially, it all winds down to my insurance being liable... which mieans, my rates will surely sky rocket in about 6 months.... sigh... lol
Old 08-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I have car ADD

Originally Posted by mike03a3
While everyone has been talking about the ABS, I'm wondering about the problem getting the old rotor off, and the fact that there were signs of excess heat just hours before the wreck.

Sounds like a totally non-ABS issue. If there were signs of heat damage on one side before the new brakes were even installed, I'm wondering if there could be a problem with the breaking system not releasing pressure to that wheel. Master cylinder? Something in the ABS unit's pressure regulators?

Or, perhaps not the brakes. Maybe a bearing failing? They can generate a lot of heat, and that could also be consistant with noise and vibration, possible even locking up the axle.

I'm very happy that no one was hurt.

Keep us posted, please. I'm curious to find out if anyone investigates to find the cause, or just writes it off.
i am just seeing this post now, and i must say, a very educated response.

Yes, there was EXCESSIVE heat wear on the front left wheel ONLY. Josh was actually blown away by how hard it was to get the rotor off. He made jokes about me being WAAAAYYY to hard on the brakes, in order to cause this, but when we went to the passanger side of the vehicle, the rotor came off in 2 minutes. The drivers side took over 90 MINUTES !!! . He actually had to break out a blow torch, dril & hammer, and it still took alot of effort.

Josh did mention something about a 'bearing'. which i am not too familiar with the negative effects of a damaged bearing, but the front left wheel ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS made bad noises. I have made several threads in the past, regarding my brake problems (as to show, i am not lieing or imagining things.

With the new brakes installed, the car STILL made this god awful noise from the front left wheel. According to the skid marks from my accident, it was the front left wheel that locked up. the right wheel, did not lock up, which is why i was thrown towards the left of me, where the divider was. Had it been the right wheel, i may have ended up on the sidewalk
Old 08-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I have car ADD

Either way. my insurance is going to go through the rooooooofffff. they cut me a check for $32,500 -$1000 debuctible. so they paid out $31,500. they are defintiely not happy about that. but i must say, i had the check 9 days after the accident. bravo to progressive insurance.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
so what's your next car bro.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So was your car fully paid off? I don't get how this whole thing works lol
Old 08-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Hey where did you find information about that VSA recall by Acura? I am curious to what VIN numbers it applies. (I have an 06 TL).
Thanks.

no updates yet.. but... there was a TSB released by Acura on July 31st regarding a fault VSA module, that causes air to get in the brake lines.... most likely the cause of my problem.

I had been to Acura several times over the past year complaining about the brakes. They changed the Master twice, the ABS unit once and the VSA unit once. However, they replaced the VSA unit (April 06) with the same part #, which was the defective VSA module.

Basically, we all know the VSA takes over when the car is losing control and controls the throttle & brakes. So when i pressed the brakes, and they locked, the VSA must have taken over and some how forced air into the brake lines.

Now, basically I am screwed. This would be a great case against Acura, has the car had a defect from the day i purchased it (it came BRAND NEW with a dead master cylinder)

Obviously, they wont take responsiblity, since i changed the brakes to Aftermarket. Rotora, has no liability in this issue, as hundreds of others have this kit on their TL. And Josh did the install 110%, so hes not at fault either.... Bascially, it all winds down to my insurance being liable... which mieans, my rates will surely sky rocket in about 6 months.... sigh... lol
Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I have car ADD

i dont think its VIN specific. somebody actually made a thread about it the other day, i think it was bearcat91 or bearcat94....

my car wasnt fully paid off. i still owed $20g's. so in the end, i took back a little over $11,000.... wasnt worth it in my eyes, wish i still had blackura.

the next car is being looked into. sooo many choices...07 clearance's, 08's are coming out.... i dont know... ill have a new car by the weekend though.... i will keep you all posted
Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the check that progressive paid you will help out with your next new car payment... XD i mean 07TLS is 34-35K? take that subtracted by 31,500... you would only owe about 5K
Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I have car ADD

well, i had to pay AHFC $20,000+. so im only left with a little over 11. 07TLS are going for around that price.. but i dunno if the 07 TLS is for me... we will see...
Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 PM
DER NEUE ^

Unhappy

very sorry for your car but i'm glad you are alive and that's what counts here

i know josh, and i know how he operates, he's very careful and thorough, i could never find any faults with him

as an owner of rotora bbk floating 14' front/13' rear, i can attest to the fact that these brakes don't fuck around and require a different approach to braking and driving in general

at times it is very hard to modulate their monster power and they can be lock happy

other times they are too cold to give you the bite you expect, so they need to be warmed up for optimal stopping

they will lock up on you and cause a skid if you apply too much pressure while turning, abs won't help, especially on bad nyc roads

in some situations i thought that these monsters are too much for the stock master cyl and abs sys but i'm not an expert so that's just my opinion

overall it's kinda like with the major power upgrade, the supercharger, great power demands great responsibility and respect

not that i'm saying that blackacura wasn't careful and didn't know his shit

i'd like people to think twice about upgrades, it's not just an air pump in case with the supercharger and it's not just huge rotors and upgraded calipers in case with the bbk, these aren't just parts that you slap on and continue driving as usual, these make your car a different animal and you better adapt or else...

respect
Old 08-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I have car ADD

lol. thanks for the input on the brakes. i've come to the conclusion that this car was just plain ol' cursed, and ill have to try again. the wierd thing about this (if you read above) was that only the front left wheel locked. if you ask josh about the install, he will tell you about the massive amount of drama it was to remove the front left rotor, because of EXTREME over the edge heat warpping. and it was only the front left wheel, which is the same wheel that locked up in the accident. something was already wrong with the car, but the BBK just amplified the existing issue..

Plus, having seen the TSB for the VSA module that was released last week stating "it allows for air to enter the brake lines" really pushed me into believing that The BBK & Josh had NOTHING to do with the accident, and it was entirely the car's mechanical fault.

ALSO, when we bled the brakes, the front left would NOT vacuum bleed.. only manual. the other three wheels bled just fine with the vacuum pump....

sort of ironic, dont ya think? lol
Old 08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
DER NEUE ^

nonooo, i wasn't blaming the bbk, they might have helped to cause the crash though and i was just sharing my experience living with these monsters every day, they look pretty and cute but they are no puppies

obviously your car was problem prone and you should have worked out all the bugs before the bbk install

yeah, cursed sounds right, i believe a lot of peeps envied you and look what happened, your car is ruined and you got hurt too. never underestimate the jealousy. try to keep your shit to yourself from now on, you were always showing off, your ride was always on display if i recall correctly, forgive me if i'm wrong

there is no irony here though, that left front side was giving you problems and it did cause a lock up eventually, so more trouble was to be expected from it but i can understand your surprise that things went so bad.

better luck next time, bud.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I have car ADD

interesting perspective... ive never looked at it that way, and i actually had to read the post twice to understand your angle.

definitely an interesting view on things.... i did flaunt the car, and i loved it....but the real irony behind this falls into the movie "Christine" which i am sure you are aware of. i began to love this car wwwaaayyyy too much (really, way too much) and maybe that did spark the curse up a little more. the next car may /may not be humble. but i will think about what you say
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 PM
I have car ADD

oh and of course more trouble would be expected while adding the BBK. my initial reaction was " Screw Acura and these damn brakes" so instead of shelling out $1500 for new rotors and pads (cause mine were warped) i decided to buy bigger and better. maybe more detail should have been put into the underlying problem... BBBUUUTTT Acura swore to me there was nothing wrong with the brakes, and alot of people complain about the TL/TSX brakes (at obviously). I wasnt going to pay a half-ass mechanic or meineke to check them out, so i decided to spring for the gold. my own mistake

however, rest assure... i will ALWAYS ALWAYS modify cars and b.s. like that, but i may never mess with OEM brakes again... ill just have to buy a car that comes with 4 piston calipers
Old 08-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Allon and I spoke about this via PM but I wanted to see the end of the matter before posting. I gave full details to ROTORA about the situation to allow them to comment and this was their response after reading the entire thread (this response was from early last week):

After reading the forum thread, the car’s reaction described seems as if the problem is within the control system side; such as ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control. I can’t imagine any of the wheel end brake components causing this type of control side problem. Rotora’s brake system only reacts to direct input from the driver or the control side of the vehicle. They simply cannot start on its own. The person stated that “ABS did not engage,” however, it may as if one or more of the control systems did engage. Rotora have never had any issues of our brake components having been the cause of any of the control systems to engage improperly.

Interesting and informative response considering what we know now. All the issues Allon had from the beginning: Master cylinders, ABS, VSA module causing air to be pumped into the lines. New TSB

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/guess-who-back-164001/

Unfortunately, the installation of aftermarket brakes will make it difficult to prove that Acura was at fault considering ppl love to make aftermarket parts the scapegoats for the inherent faults of other products.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Blackura will return one day, and she will be meaner than ever...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Instructor

Man that sucks. My altima 3.5SE was cursed. Sold it and got a Type S like 3 weeks ago, hopefully the curse is broken *knock on serious wood*
Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 AM
wat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by P1zzaman
hahaha i doubt it. Blackura turned into Whiteura now

And ibtlofthereallyoldthreadthatwasstartedmorethanayea rago.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 AM
Driven to Perfection

Originally Posted by scotterson
ibtlofthereallyoldthreadthatwasstartedmorethanayea rago.
Holy Thread resurrection, Batman!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by P1zzaman
How necromantic of you!

Quick Reply: Umm....curse continues? Part 6 !!! BLACKURA IS NO MORE