Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Type S worth trading up to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Type S worth trading up to?

I have an '06 TL 6 sp with Nav. Has 37k miles. Was waiting for the 4G to come out, it has, and I don't care for the looks. Other than the engine upgrade is the Type S worth it? I'm looking used and all the ones around me are auto. I remember when I drove the auto in '06 I was not overly thrilled with it. Does the Type S come with paddle shifters? Is the auto in the Type S any better shifting than than the '04-'06? Finally, I have Anthracite with ebony and considering WDP with taupe or ebony. Are the bumpers on the WDP still a different shade? What othe advantages does an '07/'08 Type S give me that my current TL does not have? Thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 AM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a CT supercharger for the TL and call it a day.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
if you can find a 6spd TL-S go for it. If you can't get the 04-06 6spd TL. The new TL-S has few upgrades, most of them are cosmetic like guages lighting, exterior body changes, etc, and there are the more technical things like motor, navigation/electronics.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Cecil, if you can get a Type S-pull the trigger. The Type S does have the paddle shifters. I'm older than you, so I didn't want the manual transmission, if if it was faster. But I'm very happy with it. I'm reminded of it every time I take my car in for service and they give me a Base TL to drive.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Good luck finding a 6 speed. I am sort of in the same predicament right now and have been searching dealer inventory through out to find a KBP 6 speed type S but to no avail
Old 10-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecilt
I have an '06 TL 6 sp with Nav. Has 37k miles. Was waiting for the 4G to come out, it has, and I don't care for the looks. Other than the engine upgrade is the Type S worth it? I'm looking used and all the ones around me are auto. I remember when I drove the auto in '06 I was not overly thrilled with it. Does the Type S come with paddle shifters? Is the auto in the Type S any better shifting than than the '04-'06? Finally, I have Anthracite with ebony and considering WDP with taupe or ebony. Are the bumpers on the WDP still a different shade? What othe advantages does an '07/'08 Type S give me that my current TL does not have? Thanks
If you really love and enjoy your TL now, I would definately get a Type-S! I've never driven the base model, but man the Type-S is a blast! There are many upgrades in the TLS that u cannot go wrong with, like a bigger engine,stiffer suspension(for those tight turns u wanna hang),bigger brakes, etc.

The bumper shade isnt that off..I mean, u can tell if u really look at it. If your anal about it, u should probably check it out first,but really, no biggie....
Old 10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Racer

What would be a good price to pay for a 2007 TL-S auto with under $25k miles? They offered me (sight unseen) b/c I speaking with a dealer over the phone $21k for my '06 TL 6 speed with nav with 36k miles. I didn't want to be more than $6k more for a used TL-S which means $27k for one. Or $22k for mine and $28k for theirs. Doesn't matter to me. Is it even worth $6k difference?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:07 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
^^ If I can get an 07 Type S with those specs for 6K then I'd jump on it asap and I have an 06 TL as well. Heck I spent upwards of 2k on just the A spec kit and wheels lol. DO IT.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, funny thing is...I purchased an 07 base- kept if for almost a year- then HAD to trade up to the 08 TYPE-S- now granted the $$ was even better .9 financing- thus lower monthly payment- I am SO glad I did it. Realizing this will be the car I have for the next 6-10 years..it makes modding it that much better (being a TYPE-S), not to mention when i do get rid of it, NBP TYPE-S all the papers, cleaner than the showroom floor- only increases the money I will see in return. So, if you can....DO IT, your sure to get a good deal! SO YES ITS WORTH IT

Last edited by jeowen; 10-18-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Racer

I'm looking at an '07 TL-S auto with 15k miles. My car is an '06 TL 6 speed with Nav with 36k miles. They have offered about $21k trade( sight unseen based on my description over the phone and I bought my '06 from this dealer as well) and they are at $29k for the TL-S. Will only deal if at $6k difference. Good deal? Mine is anthracite/ebony. The TL-S is WDP/Taupe. Should I continue to pursue.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes sir!- I would pursue indeed, and keep it for a looooong time- good luck!
Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 AM
10th Gear

hey goodluck man I have only seen tl-s with 25K miles or less going for around 30 but thats just in the arizona area.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:42 AM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm looking at an '07 TL-S auto with 15k miles. My car is an '06 TL 6 speed with Nav with 36k miles. They have offered about $21k trade( sight unseen based on my description over the phone and I bought my '06 from this dealer as well) and they are at $29k for the TL-S. Will only deal if at $6k difference. Good deal? Mine is anthracite/ebony. The TL-S is WDP/Taupe. Should I continue to pursue.
paying 6k for those cosmetics and 28 hp gain...well if you can find a 6sp type S, go for it, but since its an auto type S, just use that 6k and put the supercharger...u'll love it even more!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:46 AM
#TeamBoosted

Received 66 Likes on 11 Posts
Back when I got the 07 base navi, it was only $1500 more out of my pocket to get the type S, but I loved the blue interior more....and coming from a 6sp TSX, I just want an auto for everyday traffic...so thats why I pick the base over the Type S
Old 10-19-2008, 03:46 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

If you can get a 6mt Type S then go for it. The differences between the type S is the 3.5L engine rather than the base 3.2L. Brembo brakes, Type S suspension and wheels. Carbon fiber interior, Red LED lighting rather than blue, Type S tailamps & sidmarkers, two tone interior, you have the option of paint which only comes with the type S (KBP & MRP), Stainless steel gas/brake pedal covers, paddle shifters, double dual exhaust, trunk deck lid spoiler. I think theres more but I dont remember all the extra options. Also, the Typs S comes fully loaded so there is no question to options. If the numbers are correct and its 6k more for alll those options then go for it. If you calculate all those products prices plus labor it goes well over 15K. So ya if you do find one that you want GET IT!! Theyre running out quick so I suggeset you hurry up.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
I can say that I really like my type S. I much prefer the red than the blue as the interior lights. Also the other day when I dropped the car for maintenance I got a base 08 tl. Driving that around really made me miss my type S. To me the base just felt like a mode of transportation and nothing more. To be honest. If the type S wasn't an option I wouldn't be driving an Acura right now. When I was looking to trade in my 01 CL type S I drove a base TL and it just felt numb. I am really glad I went back for the 08 TL type S test drive. My wife really liked it too. When we got back from the extended test drive we just said to find us a 6spd white or silver ext with silver ebony interior and he's got a deal. I am still very happy with the car I only regret not getting the A spec suspension
Old 10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you can find a 6speed type S, then go for it. otherwise, i wouldnt really pay that much for a minuscule upgrade.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
for the trade in loss u can get a supercharger and also the a-spec suspension wich will outpower the typeS and also outhandle it.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
for the trade in loss u can get a supercharger and also the a-spec suspension wich will outpower the typeS and also outhandle it.
How much is the supercharger and a-spec suspension? Does the supercharger void the warranty? Is it dealer installed or can any mechanic do it? how much for labor. Thanks
Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Just in case you want more opinions:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=worth+type+s

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=worth+type+s

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=worth+s+type

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=type+worth+s

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=type+worth+s
Old 10-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much is the supercharger and a-spec suspension? Does the supercharger void the warranty? Is it dealer installed or can any mechanic do it? how much for labor. Thanks
supercharger will void ur warranty. so one thing to keep in mind is that if something goes wrong, ur going to pay for it. im pretty sure the only thing they will cover is safety recalls, and thats it. ur dealer most likely wont install ur supercharger, but they will install any a-spec part, for a fairly overcharged price
Old 10-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

i wouldnt do it. to me an aspec version of the tl non type s looks better then a type s or a type s aspec. there are little things that do make the car better but worth the money.... if you dont have problems with your TL why trade it, with couple of bolt on.s youll up there with the type s and if not even faster.

keep it.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

i wouldnt do it. to me an aspec version of the tl non type s looks better then a type s or a type s aspec. there are little things that do make the car better but worth the money.... if you dont have problems with your TL why trade it, with couple of bolt on.s youll up there with the type s and if not even faster.

keep it.
well i personally didn't buy my TL-S with the idea that I would be super fast in straight line. If that was my point, then stupid me, as I probably get blown by a G35, and especially a 335i [i know this my cousin owns one].

I prefer the seats in the TL-S, I like the Ride and the feedback better. My other choice was a bmw335i, but I decided not to forkout the 10k extra to buy a similarly equiped one. The G35 was nice, but my brother in-law has a 07 G35s, and his fuel economy is total crap, so that's why that car got pulled off my list.
So basically, what it came down to, in my books is the TL-S to me, was the best economy, best feel, and most cost effective car. Althought I must admit, my cousin's friend has an early 3rd gen 6spd A-spec, and it's a totally different animal than the 08 base i just had during my last oil change.

In my opinion, putting a blower on an 06 vs buying a TypeS, purely finanical I think the typeS purchase wins hands down, and only because of the warranty void. Can you save a few bux up front, sure thing, will you save those dollars over the 7year course of your powertrain warranty, my guess is NO. But I will say, i'm very biased towards manufacturer warranty, because i have very bad luck with cars, especially out of warranty.

So to sum it up, if I had my cousin's friend 6spd A-Spec I'm not sure I'd spend 7,000 to trade up to my TL-S, if I had plane vanilla TL, then ya I would either up it to Aspec, or go for the trade in. But if you have to upgrade to a-spec, your 'price' different for a newer car with less miles is no longer as significan, so I would probably bite the bullet and get a TL-S.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilB81
In my opinion, putting a blower on an 06 vs buying a TypeS, purely finanical I think the typeS purchase wins hands down, and only because of the warranty void. Can you save a few bux up front, sure thing, will you save those dollars over the 7year course of your powertrain warranty, my guess is NO. But I will say, i'm very biased towards manufacturer warranty, because i have very bad luck with cars, especially out of warranty.

So to sum it up, if I had my cousin's friend 6spd A-Spec I'm not sure I'd spend 7,000 to trade up to my TL-S, if I had plane vanilla TL, then ya I would either up it to Aspec, or go for the trade in. But if you have to upgrade to a-spec, your 'price' different for a newer car with less miles is no longer as significan, so I would probably bite the bullet and get a TL-S.
This is what I was thinking as well. Yes, it will cost $6k more but I get a 1 year newer vehicle with 15k miles. I would give up the 6 speed but part of doesn't care about this and part does. The auto drove pretty good and nice thing is in those situations where you need the extra quick kick it is easier in an auto to punch it than it is to go the stick, down shift and go. I'm not a stick snob, it is fun but I could take it or leave it especially with paddle shifters on the TL-S.

I have the front aspec lip now. Doesn't the aspec just give you the sides, front and rear add ons, lowers the car and 18" wheels. Do suspension compoenents get upgraded or is just lower. Cost to buy and install?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I HAD A BASE 05 FOR THREE MONTHS THEN GOT RID OF IT FOR A NEW TYPE-S, NEVER REGRETTED IT...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I have owned 04 06 and 07 Base TL's and then 08 Type-S, all I can say is WOW! I love the ride, amazing handling, better steering response and feedback, the Brembos are relal nice and sticky! Drive train feels more refined. I hated the Red LED lighting at first now love it. I love the ride of the Type-S the power and everything about it. I feel it was weel worth upgrading over base TL!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Racer

No, keep what you got and add the Aspec mods. Save your money and years of financing a new car.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

first of all he already has the better sway bar the better brakes as he has the 6speed. dont trade for an automatic its not the same car, the power isnt there. get the a-spec suspension and ull see that it will handle better then the type-s. i hear a lot of people here that the a-spec suspension was desingend by the same guy who designed the suspension for the nsx. and by the way you can can get the suspension for 650 from an acura dealer on ebay. there is a promotion going on from microsoft and ebay together where you can get an additional 30 % off so u tell me the difference in a trade in loss and couple of bucks to upgrade the TL and love it again.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

first of all he already has the better sway bar the better brakes as he has the 6speed. dont trade for an automatic its not the same car, the power isnt there. get the a-spec suspension and ull see that it will handle better then the type-s. i hear a lot of people here that the a-spec suspension was desingend by the same guy who designed the suspension for the nsx. and by the way you can can get the suspension for 650 from an acura dealer on ebay. there is a promotion going on from microsoft and ebay together where you can get an additional 30 % off so u tell me the difference in a trade in loss and couple of bucks to upgrade the TL and love it again.
I didn't know that the 6spd had so many improvements over the auto, that's pretty cool. As far as the A-Spec suspension, it's just springs and shocks, so i don't know that 'design' is the right word, more like fine tuning, a design to me would imply new control arms, different mounting points etc. Anyways, my point is, that from what I read [and my limited passenger time in my cousins friend TL-Aspec] the A-Spec suspension seems to enhance the ride quite a bit, so this might add some life to your existing TL. So, the final decision comes down to, doyou like a red dash, or a blue one... and my favorite; a coin toss. Cuz that way you can always blame the coin.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Racer

$650 is pretty good but don't you want the 18" wheels as well to complete the kit. I don't care about getting the side and rear lips. I did the front lip when I bought the car as I felt the front lip added to the looks the most. Can you get a-spec with suspension and wheels only? Thanks for the tip. What does this typically cost to do and does a dealer have to do it or is a mechanic I trust good enough (probably a lot cheaper to)
Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

the a-spec suspension is preasambled so having it installed should be around 150...when you say that you need wheels to compliment it, well loook at those wheels on the type s they couldnt be more ugly and i would have to exchange them right away. the other day i parked next to a tl-s and honestly i liked my car much better. It just looks better with the whole a-spec kit. type s vs a-spec, fair comparison.

i used to have a 2004 6speed manual. and cause i live in NJ very close to NYC i traded it in for an Automatic as i used to get very frustated with the traffic. Nowdays as everyone else we get used to our cars and would like some change, so from time to time i wish to trade it in for a 6speed again but then i remind myself of the bad moments i used to expericence and forget tottaly about it.

if you think you got a good car, no trouble and so on and you think you can keep it for many years to come, why risk buying something that somebody sold for whatever reason. Im telling you get the a-spec suspension, maybe even the bodykit and the wheels if you want. but dont sell it
Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

the a-spec suspension is preasambled so having it installed should be around 150...when you say that you need wheels to compliment it, well loook at those wheels on the type s they couldnt be more ugly and i would have to exchange them right away. the other day i parked next to a tl-s and honestly i liked my car much better. It just looks better with the whole a-spec kit. type s vs a-spec, fair comparison.

i used to have a 2004 6speed manual. and cause i live in NJ very close to NYC i traded it in for an Automatic as i used to get very frustated with the traffic. Nowdays as everyone else we get used to our cars and would like some change, so from time to time i wish to trade it in for a 6speed again but then i remind myself of the bad moments i used to expericence and forget tottaly about it.

if you think you got a good car, no trouble and so on and you think you can keep it for many years to come, why risk buying something that somebody sold for whatever reason. Im telling you get the a-spec suspension, maybe even the bodykit and the wheels if you want. but dont sell it

where did you get your $150 from??? I told my dealer if it could put them on for 300 and he's like ehhh no way.