3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Type S Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I never considered a camry when I bought my TLS but I would totally rock yours (minus the roof rack )
Old 04-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltah
My only complaint about the type-s is that it's FWD and no aftermarket.

I miss RWD terribly. My own fault. The type-s wants to be driven like a drivers car but it just can't be. It's limited by being FWD
Well said

I picked up an 07 TLS a week ago, and the FWD is definitely the biggest drawback of this car. Other than that I love it
Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 07TL-S
Well said

I picked up an 07 TLS a week ago, and the FWD is definitely the biggest drawback of this car. Other than that I love it
FWD doesn't bother me since I have always had VW's. So my decision is now between a Type S and a GTI. They are both FWD. The GTI has less HP, but can be tuned quite a bit. LOve the cloth seats. Handles great. Brand new. Can easily get manual tranny. Better mpg.

The Type S is just a beautiful car, but downsides would be around 30-40K miles for about the same price as a new GTI. Don't like the super soft leather.
Leaning toward the VW because it is what I know, but I have always wanted the TL. We'll see within a couple of weeks.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Acuras Only in

I'm sure someone mentioned this before but IMO type-s & GTI are not in the same class to compare ... other than the price tag ... had the type-s for 4 yrs now & can't be happier with the original decision ... but again, I've been a Acura owner since 95 so it's all good for me so far ... Let us know what you decide to get ..
Old 04-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shooter
I'm sure someone mentioned this before but IMO type-s & GTI are not in the same class to compare ... other than the price tag ... had the type-s for 4 yrs now & can't be happier with the original decision ... but again, I've been a Acura owner since 95 so it's all good for me so far ... Let us know what you decide to get ..
I really only compare the two based on price and FWD.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltah
straight line the cars fine once i hooks up. hitting the twisties leaves something to be desired once you want to accelerate out of sharp turns and it wants to torque steer your arms off, haha. plus the car feels nose heavy in turns.
i agree with the torque steer to a degree. on perfectly unscathed roads, not much of an issue. however, minnesota winter trashed roads with potholes, ruts and road decay makes the throttle interesting. get on it enough and let a front tire catch a part of bad road, the steering wheel likes to spontaneously jerk to the side. can be a little startling at times. otherwise, i dont mind the TL at all.

i sure as hell wouldnt want to deal with a RWD car in the winter here though; id only go FWD or AWD.

if only the G3_XS sedans ever came with a manual... however, the new 7-speed auto did almost lure me in. then again, i prefer the mileage of my TL and a recent car mag had the G37 ISL (i think that's the trim) coupe and that manages to hit 60 a whole tenth of a second faster than the TL-S 6MT which was surprising.

Last edited by heza; 04-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.